List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

• Zane Trew, Jamaine Jones and Jordyn Baker delisted

• List Manager Matt Clarke appeared on Gettable - Click spoiler below for summary
    On the draft: "We predicted that the draft was strong, but it's probably gotten stronger during the year."

On top end of draft: "You could probably make five or six different choices and get it right."

On Pick 3: "I reckon there's five (players) around that mark."

On splitting: "I think you want to hold an early selection if you can. The depth of this group allows you to maybe have some movement there, and see what you can do to bring in more talent in the first 20-25 picks. Easier said than done, and I think most clubs would be saying the same thing. We'll see what we can do."

On Liam Baker: "He's still yet to make a decision. They're still weighing up a few things. We'd love to get Liam on board from what he offers from a talent and leadership point of view. We understand where we're at as a group, we're rebuilding our group, we need to add some guys in the middle tier to support our young group."

On Jack Graham: "We've got a number of players that we're speaking to. A bit of a wait and see on that one as well. We'll talk to a number of guys."

On Shai Bolton: "I think it will be difficult for anybody, really. He's heavily contracted and a high quality player."

On James Peatling: "He's heavily involved in a finals series at the moment so I don't want to comment too much on it, but I think there's a number of guys that have been playing really good footy this year that could suit what we do and what other clubs do. He's taken his footy to another level this year."

On Tom Barrass: "We've had an early discussion with Hawthorn about it, they understand where we're at. He's nominated Hawthorn as his ideal destination. We want what we think he's worth, as a genuine key back in the competition that can do what he can do. We're obviously mindful of getting an appropriate deal for West Coast."

On Tom Clurey: "Maybe (note: sounded very non enthused). We'd probably need some key back depth, whether that's through the draft or trade and free agency."

On Jack Darling: "We've had initial discussions with his management group about (moving). We're open to talking, as we are with all of our players, but Jack's contracted with us."

On Liam Ryan: "I expect him to be at West Coast next year, yes." (The most definitive answer of the day by a mile, a non-starter of a talking point.)

On out of contact players e.g. Rotham, Witherden, Jones: "We're still working through what it looks like from a list point of view, and how many selections we'll want to have, and players that may come in and potentially may go out. You might want to give a coach an opportunity to look at these guys."

On Harley Reid: "We've had discussions most of the year with his management group. I think it sits in a really good place. We're open to doing really whatever they want to do to be honest. We're really confident in building the right system around Harley, on and off field, to make sure that he's really comfortable, that he's going to play his best footy, and his long term future."

On Jake Waterman's new deal: "Yep, really close. We're working really closely with his management on that. I expect that we'll have something done pretty soon."

On Oscar Allen: "We've been talking with Oscar and his manager most of the year on that one. We're going through some stuff at the moment. I think we'll be ok with that one."

Last edited by a moderator:
It’s very likely it will. It will also be before our NGAs next year IMO. If we do happen to keep our F2, I’d like to trade it to GWS for pick 34 and 35 (Cumming FA pick). They should get pick 21 for Perryman giving them picks 14 and 21 to use then pick 49,52 and 70 to match a bid for Logan Smith as well as shifting resources into next year
Depends how many picks we want this year I guess. We are running out of list spots also, I think we will have 9 open up, maybe 10 if burgiel goes or sheed decides to retire

List spots:

3 - Gaff
13 - JJ
23 - barass
58 - Darling
59 - Edwards
(R) - Trew
(R) - Baker
NoahLong - Witherden
34 - Rotham
35 - Burgiel/Sheed

I think you've been raising some good and interesting ideas here. But the thing is many of the best HBF's can come from failed midfielders/wings anyway (typically those with very good kicking skills and a bit of height).

Whilst I get the allure of Travaglia, I'm not sure he's a good enough kick to pick in the top 7 (over a true mid), especially if it's on the basis he's going to be our designated kicker. His kicking might not be to that elite standard you need for that position at AFL level. If that was really what we were prioritising, then I reckon FOS might be the best option with his kicking and good skills overhead and we would need pick 3 for a shot at him anyway.

With IM being one of the hardest positions to play, Yeo and Kelly almost gone, we really do need another option besides Reid starting to develop this year as it can take 3-5 years for players to be ready.

For perspective, here's what I reckon our team (current list) could like like in 3 years, with some rankings.
View attachment 2123972

Based on my somewhat subjective ratings our biggest issue is that centre line and KPD. With a chance Reid could move to a KPD position, that leaves mids and wings our clear biggest need imo.
This is why we absolutely need to prioritise drafting mids with high draft picks over the next few drafts.
You'll have to be pretty lucky to draft high quality mids with 2nd & round picks, or to turn other clubs' discards and reserve players into them.
Unless Hall comes on, Hewett is able to successfully recover from his surgery and Ginbey gets back into the midfield, the cupboard is bare except for Reid whose long term future at the club is genuinely still uncertain.
Hutchinson had one good game as mid, so it's too early make a judgement on whether he'll make it as a full time mid.
I really hope Hewett makes it, but until he at least returns to full training and plays some high intensity intraclub games, it's impossible for us to be confident in his playing future.

Last edited:

This is why we absolutely need to prioritise drafting mids with high draft picks over the next few drafts.
You'll have to be pretty lucky to draft high quality mids with 2nd & round picks, or to turn other clubs' discards and reserve players into them.
Unless Hall comes on, Hewett is able to successfully recover from his surgery and Ginbey gets back into the midfield, the cupboard is bare except for Reid whose long term future at the club is genuinely still uncertain.
Hutchinson had one good game as mid, so it's too early make a judgement on whether he'll make it as a full time mid.
I really hope Hewett makes it, but until he at least returns to full training and plays some high intensity intraclub games, it's impossible for us to be confident in his playing future.
Our backline is just as dire.
We can form a competent midfield with value picks this year and then draft an A-grade mid next year, or we can focus on the midfield this year AND next year and end up with still a shit backline in 3 years time.
We equally need A-grade talent in the backline, outside Gov we have no A-grade defenders

Main difference this year is there are no moneyball defenders to recruit to tide us over this year, there are a heap of mids who fit the bill and are gettable.

Just turned it on near the end but a great pack mark by banfield in the goal square to level the scores with his 3rd goal. Had a nice clean gather and release a few minutes earlier too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Banfield looks very good. Strong mark, clean on the deck, great size, runs all day and smart.

We don’t need to worry about our forward line for a while with Banfield, Champion and Walley available to us. Evans could bolt up too, he's very raw atm.

Think Banfield could easily be a winger in time too

How is Walley available to us - is he an NGA?

Good news guys Charlie Banfield looks like being an AFL player, I think we have a Father and Son to pencil in.

Walley can find it but bloody hell, his radar was shyte today, 1 goal 4 points and an out of bounds on the full.
And a couple of his misses were very gettable.

Will write more on the game latter, but initial comment is that it was a good watch, great come from behind win when the game opened up.

Disappointing and annoying watching the game and noting that many of the better performers were ****ing academy kids FFS.

Banfield looks very good. Strong mark, clean on the deck, great size, runs all day and smart.

We don’t need to worry about our forward line for a while with Banfield, Champion and Walley available to us. Evans could bolt up too, he's very raw atm.

Agree, was impressive today, he reads the game well.

Our backline is just as dire.
We can form a competent midfield with value picks this year and then draft an A-grade mid next year, or we can focus on the midfield this year AND next year and end up with still a shit backline in 3 years time.
We equally need A-grade talent in the backline, outside Gov we have no A-grade defenders

Main difference this year is there are no moneyball defenders to recruit to tide us over this year, there are a heap of mids who fit the bill and are gettable.

There will always be moneyball defenders as a lot of them are mids who get pushed back (and their value drops in doing so).

Not disagreeing about it being a need to develop a and b grade talent back there, just don’t think we should shuffle our draft hand and priorities to focus on it. Our backline is serviceable (albeit losing quality in TB), looking at how little assistance they have had from the mids in the past couple of years for the most part it has held up well.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Duursma looks very good, but there's something about the Duursma boy's I don't particularly like.
He was the game changer for mine in the 2nd half when he went into the midfield.

With Harley spotted with the Duursmas lately could come in handy as a footballer and stable pony.

Evans hardly sighted but did have a decent passage of play. Don’t think his TOG% would’ve been high.

Looked like Charlie started on the wing first half but went forward. Huge contested mark and had a really good rove and just missed the goal. Great tackle pressure too

Wes 5 or 6 shots on goal but for only one goal. Knows where to be that’s for sure. Wind was doing plenty and wasn’t the only one missing Gettable shots.

Those 4 and maybe another with the Hawks future first (Curtin) something that might look decent in a years time.
See how it all shacks out over the next 12 months

He is a winger in colts he is so clean unlike his old man and holds his feet lots to like

There will always be moneyball defenders as a lot of them are mids who get pushed back (and their value drops in doing so).
There are no moneyball defenders on the market this year, its all typical inside mids like Parfitt or DevRob who I cant see being useful as a defender
Not disagreeing about it being a need to develop a and b grade talent back there, just don’t think we should shuffle our draft hand and priorities to focus on it. Our backline is serviceable (albeit losing quality in TB), looking at how little assistance they have had from the mids in the past couple of years for the most part it has held up well.
I dont know why it would necessarily be shuffling of priorities to get defenders, id have thought it would be a very obvious and urgent need.
Our backline is servicable because we have Gov and we did have TB for most of the year. HEdwards is a downgrade on TB, while being servicable, but we havent seen anything from Bazzo to indicate he can fill Govs shoes as the 2nd KPD. I dont think we can get away with 2 very average KPDs if we want to compete in finals

We need to start to play a modern gamestyle, we dont currently have the outside players to do so, we dont have the defenders to do so.
We have a midfield with no depth currently, but we can make a competent midfield with cheap trade ins.
We have nothing in the backline at all. We barely even have a defender in the WAFL, we are probably keeping Witherden because hes literally the only non tall defender on the list who is outside our projected best 22, thats IF you put Maric into the backline full time.
The new coach needs something to work with.

We need wings and half backs with pace and kicking skills, we cant play footy without them. There is way too much focus from fans on the midfield imo.
Draft a couple of wing/half back types, and then get another A-grade mid next year. 2-3 A-grade mids is all a team needs, and theyre the quickest to come online too after being drafted.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back