List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

• Zane Trew, Jamaine Jones and Jordyn Baker delisted

• List Manager Matt Clarke appeared on Gettable - Click spoiler below for summary
    On the draft: "We predicted that the draft was strong, but it's probably gotten stronger during the year."

On top end of draft: "You could probably make five or six different choices and get it right."

On Pick 3: "I reckon there's five (players) around that mark."

On splitting: "I think you want to hold an early selection if you can. The depth of this group allows you to maybe have some movement there, and see what you can do to bring in more talent in the first 20-25 picks. Easier said than done, and I think most clubs would be saying the same thing. We'll see what we can do."

On Liam Baker: "He's still yet to make a decision. They're still weighing up a few things. We'd love to get Liam on board from what he offers from a talent and leadership point of view. We understand where we're at as a group, we're rebuilding our group, we need to add some guys in the middle tier to support our young group."

On Jack Graham: "We've got a number of players that we're speaking to. A bit of a wait and see on that one as well. We'll talk to a number of guys."

On Shai Bolton: "I think it will be difficult for anybody, really. He's heavily contracted and a high quality player."

On James Peatling: "He's heavily involved in a finals series at the moment so I don't want to comment too much on it, but I think there's a number of guys that have been playing really good footy this year that could suit what we do and what other clubs do. He's taken his footy to another level this year."

On Tom Barrass: "We've had an early discussion with Hawthorn about it, they understand where we're at. He's nominated Hawthorn as his ideal destination. We want what we think he's worth, as a genuine key back in the competition that can do what he can do. We're obviously mindful of getting an appropriate deal for West Coast."

On Tom Clurey: "Maybe (note: sounded very non enthused). We'd probably need some key back depth, whether that's through the draft or trade and free agency."

On Jack Darling: "We've had initial discussions with his management group about (moving). We're open to talking, as we are with all of our players, but Jack's contracted with us."

On Liam Ryan: "I expect him to be at West Coast next year, yes." (The most definitive answer of the day by a mile, a non-starter of a talking point.)

On out of contact players e.g. Rotham, Witherden, Jones: "We're still working through what it looks like from a list point of view, and how many selections we'll want to have, and players that may come in and potentially may go out. You might want to give a coach an opportunity to look at these guys."

On Harley Reid: "We've had discussions most of the year with his management group. I think it sits in a really good place. We're open to doing really whatever they want to do to be honest. We're really confident in building the right system around Harley, on and off field, to make sure that he's really comfortable, that he's going to play his best footy, and his long term future."

On Jake Waterman's new deal: "Yep, really close. We're working really closely with his management on that. I expect that we'll have something done pretty soon."

On Oscar Allen: "We've been talking with Oscar and his manager most of the year on that one. We're going through some stuff at the moment. I think we'll be ok with that one."

Last edited by a moderator:
You're pessimistic because we've got talent coming through which we can select next year?
It's been ages before we had anyone remotely good we could claim pre-draft.
Don't think anyone would've expected Waterman to do what he's done this year when we drafted him.

They're saying that they're worried that the AFL will just happen to change the rules after this draft and instead of being able to get these players at a reasonable discount with later picks like other clubs have been able to do so far with academies and F/S etc we'll just end up using our normal picks. I can totally understand their pessimism in regards to this scenario.

I’m close to Ep2018 pessimistic levels tonight so I fully expect us next year to get royally screwed with coughing up for Banfield and Walley. They’ll have bumper years and any draft capitol we have will be swallowed up as a result. Just when we have exciting prospects that might allow us to get a free leg up the AFL go and ****ing change all the rules thanks to the pillaging of the northern clubs over the past few years.

We’ll also get knocked back for any priority assistance packages from the AFL, we’ll trade pick 13 for Baker and a second round pick that will be in the bloody 30’s come draft night but that’s only after we take 13 and a future second that will be in the 40’s for Barrass.

Am I missing anything?

Hmmm let’s say Garcia goes to Port, Carroll stays at the Blues, Dev picks a VIC club over us, Peatling stays at GWS and we give Graham a five year deal.

Oh yeah and we pay half of Darlings salary for pick 62 but Champion is bid on early in the third round thus consuming two later picks.

This is the darkest timeline, my work here is done.
Some kids are born with - a little ray sunshine - playing on the radio in the background, some kids are born with - and now the end is near by the sex pistols.

They're saying that they're worried that the AFL will just happen to change the rules after this draft and instead of being able to get these players at a reasonable discount with later picks like other clubs have been able to do so far with academies and F/S etc we'll just end up using our normal picks. I can totally understand their pessimism in regards to this scenario.
There shouldn't be a discount, so I'm not fazed by this.

What I like most about him is that he both makes good decisions and his foot skills are super accurate.

His link up play is something thats very under ratted, and it' a facet of the modern game that WC are poor at, we just go the "bomb it long option", as our stock standard go to mode of delivery, into attack.....it does my head in and is a poor indictment of our coaches.
Good link up player (presumably good run through lines) and good users in todays game = most valuable

You're pessimistic because we've got talent coming through which we can select next year?
Don't think anyone would've expected Waterman to do what he's done this year when we drafted him.
Agreed. Such a weird take. Personally, I hope Banfield and Walley absolutely kill it and we pick them up in the top 10.

I’m laying it on thick but I’m not very hopeful of this off season being incredibly productive.

I would love nothing more than to be mistaken and to ride the wave of optimism over the summer into next season but what has been reported or speculated about so far has been incredibly underwhelming.

The next month will tell us more but if the sum of our parts ends up being that we trade out a star 29 year old player for draft capitol and then turn around to trade some of that same draft capitol for a 27 year old who is not a star by any means then I’d say that’s a massive fail of an off season.

Baker is a AFL quality player but he’s not a star, his best is probably already been displayed and I fear this has a Sharrod Wellingham vibe to it. A good role player surrounded by better players in a good system.

I’d prefer to take our big picks to the draft and recruit more top end talent but I’m concerned that’s not going to happen.

The take on the players next year is just a rev up. I would have loved to take them with a cluster of third round and fourth round picks like everyone else has to date. I’m just sooking because it’s just typical when we have some decent players coming through the rules change and we pay more, that’s all.

The reigning premiers gonna be getting their second number one overall pick in three years. What a league. It's the type of stuff in sports you read about from the 70's or 80's where the word equalisation was never a thing and the rich kept getting richer. What a time to be alive.
La lakers got two no 1 picks this way, Magic Johnson and James Worthy. I think 4 titles, a pretty big brand name boost as well.
How is Flynn going? Is he not quite as good as you hoped, or did his injury impact him.

Last edited:
La lakers got two no 1 picks this way, Magic Johnson and James Worthy. I think 4 titles, a pretty big brand name boost as well.
How is Flynn going? Is he not quote as good as you hoped, or did his injury impact him.

Injured himself in the captains run before Round 1 and then missed over half the year only to come back under done for a few games, roll his ankle and miss the rest of the season.

It’s hard to assess someone’s season when they can’t even stay on the park.

Seems to be a running theme with Matt sadly that you know all too well.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back