List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links:
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

• Zane Trew, Jamaine Jones and Jordyn Baker delisted

• List Manager Matt Clarke appeared on Gettable - Click spoiler below for summary
    On the draft: "We predicted that the draft was strong, but it's probably gotten stronger during the year."

On top end of draft: "You could probably make five or six different choices and get it right."

On Pick 3: "I reckon there's five (players) around that mark."

On splitting: "I think you want to hold an early selection if you can. The depth of this group allows you to maybe have some movement there, and see what you can do to bring in more talent in the first 20-25 picks. Easier said than done, and I think most clubs would be saying the same thing. We'll see what we can do."

On Liam Baker: "He's still yet to make a decision. They're still weighing up a few things. We'd love to get Liam on board from what he offers from a talent and leadership point of view. We understand where we're at as a group, we're rebuilding our group, we need to add some guys in the middle tier to support our young group."

On Jack Graham: "We've got a number of players that we're speaking to. A bit of a wait and see on that one as well. We'll talk to a number of guys."

On Shai Bolton: "I think it will be difficult for anybody, really. He's heavily contracted and a high quality player."

On James Peatling: "He's heavily involved in a finals series at the moment so I don't want to comment too much on it, but I think there's a number of guys that have been playing really good footy this year that could suit what we do and what other clubs do. He's taken his footy to another level this year."

On Tom Barrass: "We've had an early discussion with Hawthorn about it, they understand where we're at. He's nominated Hawthorn as his ideal destination. We want what we think he's worth, as a genuine key back in the competition that can do what he can do. We're obviously mindful of getting an appropriate deal for West Coast."

On Tom Clurey: "Maybe (note: sounded very non enthused). We'd probably need some key back depth, whether that's through the draft or trade and free agency."

On Jack Darling: "We've had initial discussions with his management group about (moving). We're open to talking, as we are with all of our players, but Jack's contracted with us."

On Liam Ryan: "I expect him to be at West Coast next year, yes." (The most definitive answer of the day by a mile, a non-starter of a talking point.)

On out of contact players e.g. Rotham, Witherden, Jones: "We're still working through what it looks like from a list point of view, and how many selections we'll want to have, and players that may come in and potentially may go out. You might want to give a coach an opportunity to look at these guys."

On Harley Reid: "We've had discussions most of the year with his management group. I think it sits in a really good place. We're open to doing really whatever they want to do to be honest. We're really confident in building the right system around Harley, on and off field, to make sure that he's really comfortable, that he's going to play his best footy, and his long term future."

On Jake Waterman's new deal: "Yep, really close. We're working really closely with his management on that. I expect that we'll have something done pretty soon."

On Oscar Allen: "We've been talking with Oscar and his manager most of the year on that one. We're going through some stuff at the moment. I think we'll be ok with that one."

Last edited by a moderator:

Let's all think of the good news
1. If we are downgrading pick 13. That means we are keeping pick 3. And if we are keeping pick 3 welcome SID DRAPER!!!! PARTY TIME

2. I have a feeling we are looking at tom dodee the best ruck in the draft at pick 21 A very harry barnett move but it is still worth another shot at doing what we did

3. Pick 21 is first pick in second night always a slider like archer reid

Pick 3: Sid Draper
Pick 21: Tom Dodee (we do need a ruck)
Pick 23: ???

We miss on Xavier Lindsay in downgrade through.

WCE = weakest traders in the history of the competition.

Buy high, sell low.
Yeah I don’t like where the narrative sits already. We’ve been backed into a corner just like the Kelly trade where the onus is on us to make it happen because it feels like we’ve already committed to him being on the list.

On the plus side, with L.Baker and J.Graham nominating West Coast, Fremantle will now be more inclined to panic and pay well over value for S.Bolton.

That will leave them with far less capital at the trade table to compete against West Coast in 2025 for a big signing like C.Warner.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm not keen on the 13 for baker+21 business, I'm trying to find a positive in it, the only thing I can come up with, is we get another hit at the draft. Ie 3,21,23, baker instead of 3,13,baker.

Other than that, i'm at loss

13 is off the table, surely. Zero interest in downgrading the pick and I'd be fuming if the club did as part of a deal for a uncontracted player.

More likely we overpay Graham (meh) to up Richmond's compo and they take 23.

F**king spew and bile if the club uses 13 in any way to get L.Baker.

He's coming out of contract, has nominated West Coast and Richmond want him out the door for picks.

It's also questionable what gain the Eagles will have from trading in a player that will be 27 next year considering how far the squad is away from contending.

West Coast holds all the cards here. Time to be campaigners like Geelong at the trade table. Offer next year's F3 and nothing more.

If the Tigers don't like that, I don't give a toss. If he really wants to come to WA and Richmond won't be reasonable, we walk him to the PSD.

The club needs pick 13 far more than it ever needs L.Baker.
Too right dyl.

Id be ****ing go on one if we end up bending over and giving a top end pick for baker.

This screams wellingham and even redden vibes for me.

We gave up picks in the teens for both and well redden only worked out because we won a premiership.

Melting because we might include a pick we don't even have yet in a trade for Baker is peak WCE board bed-wetting.
The sad part is its a chance of being true though. In all reality its kind of my biggest melt overall with this. The fact I need to consider it as a possibility is sad

Graham will also push a kid out of the midfield because he’s incapable of playing anywhere else at a decent level, he’s incredibly slow and has zero hurt factor. Had like 4 hamstring injuries this year as well.

Baker is a good player, not saying he won’t help but you don’t give up top end picks at the beginning of a rebuild for a 27 year old utility who’s un contracted, that’s insane.
Who is Graham pushing out?? Some mysterious ball magnet I haven't heard of yet. Get real.

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back