List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links:
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

• Zane Trew, Jamaine Jones and Jordyn Baker delisted

• List Manager Matt Clarke appeared on Gettable - Click spoiler below for summary
    On the draft: "We predicted that the draft was strong, but it's probably gotten stronger during the year."

On top end of draft: "You could probably make five or six different choices and get it right."

On Pick 3: "I reckon there's five (players) around that mark."

On splitting: "I think you want to hold an early selection if you can. The depth of this group allows you to maybe have some movement there, and see what you can do to bring in more talent in the first 20-25 picks. Easier said than done, and I think most clubs would be saying the same thing. We'll see what we can do."

On Liam Baker: "He's still yet to make a decision. They're still weighing up a few things. We'd love to get Liam on board from what he offers from a talent and leadership point of view. We understand where we're at as a group, we're rebuilding our group, we need to add some guys in the middle tier to support our young group."

On Jack Graham: "We've got a number of players that we're speaking to. A bit of a wait and see on that one as well. We'll talk to a number of guys."

On Shai Bolton: "I think it will be difficult for anybody, really. He's heavily contracted and a high quality player."

On James Peatling: "He's heavily involved in a finals series at the moment so I don't want to comment too much on it, but I think there's a number of guys that have been playing really good footy this year that could suit what we do and what other clubs do. He's taken his footy to another level this year."

On Tom Barrass: "We've had an early discussion with Hawthorn about it, they understand where we're at. He's nominated Hawthorn as his ideal destination. We want what we think he's worth, as a genuine key back in the competition that can do what he can do. We're obviously mindful of getting an appropriate deal for West Coast."

On Tom Clurey: "Maybe (note: sounded very non enthused). We'd probably need some key back depth, whether that's through the draft or trade and free agency."

On Jack Darling: "We've had initial discussions with his management group about (moving). We're open to talking, as we are with all of our players, but Jack's contracted with us."

On Liam Ryan: "I expect him to be at West Coast next year, yes." (The most definitive answer of the day by a mile, a non-starter of a talking point.)

On out of contact players e.g. Rotham, Witherden, Jones: "We're still working through what it looks like from a list point of view, and how many selections we'll want to have, and players that may come in and potentially may go out. You might want to give a coach an opportunity to look at these guys."

On Harley Reid: "We've had discussions most of the year with his management group. I think it sits in a really good place. We're open to doing really whatever they want to do to be honest. We're really confident in building the right system around Harley, on and off field, to make sure that he's really comfortable, that he's going to play his best footy, and his long term future."

On Jake Waterman's new deal: "Yep, really close. We're working really closely with his management on that. I expect that we'll have something done pretty soon."

On Oscar Allen: "We've been talking with Oscar and his manager most of the year on that one. We're going through some stuff at the moment. I think we'll be ok with that one."

Last edited by a moderator:
Geelong is an extreme outlier in their list build so not a great example.
Collingwood do something similar, theyve got Daicos in there and then a bunch of role players around him.
I think Collingwood and Geelong are who we should be trying to emulate long term
These points have all been discussed so not going to reiterate them but, you are talking perfect world stuff. An injury or two and our midfield is badly exposed. Trew, Culley and Hall (who I am hopeful on) all played games this year and were not up to it, and that’s with a far healthier list than we have had in recent years. Look at some of the good midfields and their depth and top-end are in another realm to us.

I’m with you on being optimistic on some of these fringe guys, but again perfect world one or two become decent contributors for us. But there is just as much chance they aren’t up to it. There’s a reason they can’t get a game elsewhere and aren’t highly sought after.
Probably not so relevant anymore as we have Graham and Baker coming who we know can perform at AFL level, but a guy like Dev would still be good as depth and he still has potential due to lack of AFL level midifeld exposure.
Was partly a rhetorical question as I think it’s clear that it will be a mix, but what percentage of each is the question. Baker and Graham are already looking like part of the strategy so what draft capital we retain will be a huge factor.

Again perfect world we draft well and in a few years we have another A-grader or two. But all draft picks are speculative. If we end up with a Will Phillips who doesn’t develop then we are left spinning our wheels with no progress. If we recruit well then we should definitely have the bones of a good list in a couple of years time.
Yep thats the risk, we are up against it especially with academies compromising the draft. Need to draft well or find great players in value trades
Haha that is pretty obvious. Well within your rights to be adversarial but there are some genuinely good points raised by other posters so I wouldn’t dismiss them and argue just for the sake of being contrarian. I’m all for exploring different view points though.

Probably about as close to conceding as you will give so I’ll take it! Haha
:sweatsmile:

Again, I’m not advocating for Baker. I’d actually prefer not to trade for him at all, no matter the cost, but,

It’s likely it’s 13 for Baker AND 21, a 6 pick downgrade. Posters continually leave this out and it’s frustrating. There is no talk anywhere of 13 on its own

Certain posters have a player(s) in mind at the pick and won't let go. Honestly, I think that's a perfectly balanced trade. But like you i don't care for Baker even if he makes our team better over the short term.

Ideally, we get more than Pick 13 for Barrass and then we get something back in the trade for Baker. We need to turn Barrass trade into a pick surplus to clear the bottom of the list out.

13 for Baker and 21

So, Barrass for Hawks F2, 21 and Baker

Don’t let that get in the way of a whinge though
Media are only mentioning Pick 13 for Barrass, no future 1st, 2nd or 3rd. I think we're all getting excited about trades/picks that haven't and probably won't happen.

Not that Richmond is likely to accept, but what if we tabled pick 13 and Hawks F1 for both bolton and baker? Maybe a little extra added on top to close the deal?

Depending on the TB trade, that would net us both for TB and change.

And still leave us with picks 3 and 23 this year.

Definitely worth pursuing if we can convince Bolton to come to us.

Certain posters have a player(s) in mind at the pick and won't let go. Honestly, I think that's a perfectly balanced trade. But like you i don't care for Baker even if he makes our team better over the short term.

Ideally, we get more than Pick 13 for Barrass and then we get something back in the trade for Baker. We need to turn Barrass trade into a pick surplus to clear the bottom of the list out.
Best case scenario is Barrass for 13 and a second and then ontrade the second for Baker.

Leaves it at Barrass for Baker and 13 which isn’t unrealistic for all parties.

13 and F2 for a contracted Barrass
F2 for an uncontracted Baker

Looks pretty fair to me.

Not that Richmond is likely to accept, but what if we tabled pick 13 and Hawks F1 for both bolton and baker? Maybe a little extra added on top to close the deal?

Bolton is probably worth a little more than Barrass.

Barrass+F2 for 13+Hawks F1
trade 3+13 for 6+9
Trade 9+Hawks F1 for Bolton
Trade 23 for Baker

End result is: 3+23+F2+Barrass for Bolton+Baker+6

Barrass and 2x 2nd rounders for Bolton and Baker. We lose priority in choosing which mid we want but if the mids are all more or less even in that part of the draft then its no biggie going from 3 to 6.

This.

We are all too familiar with the following:
  • opening line in the media for trades being to the advantage of the opposing club
  • hearing nothing from the Eagles to refute that
  • letting that story become the consensus opinion of "fair terms"
  • then seeing West Coast deal to that consensus, and pretend it yielded good value.

The confidence gained from holding on to pick 1 last year was completely eroded by what the club offered on draft night for D.Curtin.

I just hope the new team in charge has a far better handle on managing trades than those previously involved.

What was offered for Curtin? It obviously wasn’t accepted so it couldn’t have been too great, because the trade with the Crom was
11, 15 & F2 for 8 (Curtin) & 17

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

What was offered for Curtin? It obviously wasn’t accepted so it couldn’t have been too great, because the trade with the Crom was
11, 15 & F2 for 8 (Curtin) & 17

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
We would be dreaming about what our plans are for pick 25 in this years draft instead of pick 3

I’m putting together a crew to burn the club to the ground if we trade 13 for Baker.

I’m pleased to announce that I’m currently accepting applications. Previous arson experience desirable. Must be a self starter.

Crew must be able to work with a specific Prodigy song being played (and possibly Leftfield with John Lydon)?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bolton is probably worth a little more than Barrass.

Barrass+F2 for 13+Hawks F1
trade 3+13 for 6+9
Trade 9+Hawks F1 for Bolton
Trade 23 for Baker

End result is: 3+23+F2+Barrass for Bolton+Baker+6

Barrass and 2x 2nd rounders for Bolton and Baker. We lose priority in choosing which mid we want but if the mids are all more or less even in that part of the draft then its no biggie going from 3 to 6.
We don't want Bolton. He's an icing on the cake type of player. We're still baking the cake. Please don't give this thought any oxygen.

We don't want Bolton. He's an icing on the cake type of player. We're still baking the cake. Please don't give this thought any oxygen.
Just contemplating how it might get done. I think there is a world where we try to top up the list rather than continue to prioritise the draft like many here think we should.

There is more than 1 way to build a list. I agree Bolton is a icing on the cake type but how far away are we actually from having the cake ready to eat? We have talent, adding Bolton and a kid with pick 6 this year, and keeping our natural F1 next year rounds out the talent we need. We have a heap of kids too, guys like Maric and Hutch look like great additions that make up for draft misses with 2nd round picks.

We need specific roles filled on top of that. We have the midfield bolstered with Graham and Baker, add Dev for cheap to round out depth. Need a few defenders and a maybe 1 more a-grade mid and we are sorted

Baker for 13 is a howler. Sit Lindsay on a wing or Travaglia off a half back flank.

On SM-A155F using BigFooty.com mobile app
Can we stop using small words like howler. Correct terminology can be used like

"Worst mistake since the dawn of civilisation"
"Lowest point of West Coast Eagles history"
"Zac Langdonesque move"
"Like a 190 pt loss to Fremantle Dockers on a wet and windy day"

You know it will be

Pick 9 for Shai Bolton
Pick 13 for Liam Baker

Yes we are that club

Rumors are doing the rounds that Harley Reid will relinquish the 9 jersey to keep its lineage of going toone of the top players of our club. Jack Graham said he feels privileged to take the number on

Just contemplating how it might get done. I think there is a world where we try to top up the list rather than continue to prioritise the draft like many here think we should.

There is more than 1 way to build a list. I agree Bolton is a icing on the cake type but how far away are we actually from having the cake ready to eat? We have talent, adding Bolton and a kid with pick 6 this year, and keeping our natural F1 next year rounds out the talent we need. We have a heap of kids too, guys like Maric and Hutch look like great additions that make up for draft misses with 2nd round picks.

We need specific roles filled on top of that. We have the midfield bolstered with Graham and Baker, add Dev for cheap to round out depth. Need a few defenders and a maybe 1 more a-grade mid and we are sorted
Bolton is a forward that can chop out in the midfield as opposed to Warner who is a mid who can play forward. Your trade proposal is effectively 3, 13 + Hawks' F1 for 6 + Bolton. If our mid of choice is available at 6 AND we could get Warner next year, it would be a coup. There's a lot of water to go under the bridge for that to happen though.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back