List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links:
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

• Zane Trew, Jamaine Jones and Jordyn Baker delisted

• List Manager Matt Clarke appeared on Gettable - Click spoiler below for summary
    On the draft: "We predicted that the draft was strong, but it's probably gotten stronger during the year."

On top end of draft: "You could probably make five or six different choices and get it right."

On Pick 3: "I reckon there's five (players) around that mark."

On splitting: "I think you want to hold an early selection if you can. The depth of this group allows you to maybe have some movement there, and see what you can do to bring in more talent in the first 20-25 picks. Easier said than done, and I think most clubs would be saying the same thing. We'll see what we can do."

On Liam Baker: "He's still yet to make a decision. They're still weighing up a few things. We'd love to get Liam on board from what he offers from a talent and leadership point of view. We understand where we're at as a group, we're rebuilding our group, we need to add some guys in the middle tier to support our young group."

On Jack Graham: "We've got a number of players that we're speaking to. A bit of a wait and see on that one as well. We'll talk to a number of guys."

On Shai Bolton: "I think it will be difficult for anybody, really. He's heavily contracted and a high quality player."

On James Peatling: "He's heavily involved in a finals series at the moment so I don't want to comment too much on it, but I think there's a number of guys that have been playing really good footy this year that could suit what we do and what other clubs do. He's taken his footy to another level this year."

On Tom Barrass: "We've had an early discussion with Hawthorn about it, they understand where we're at. He's nominated Hawthorn as his ideal destination. We want what we think he's worth, as a genuine key back in the competition that can do what he can do. We're obviously mindful of getting an appropriate deal for West Coast."

On Tom Clurey: "Maybe (note: sounded very non enthused). We'd probably need some key back depth, whether that's through the draft or trade and free agency."

On Jack Darling: "We've had initial discussions with his management group about (moving). We're open to talking, as we are with all of our players, but Jack's contracted with us."

On Liam Ryan: "I expect him to be at West Coast next year, yes." (The most definitive answer of the day by a mile, a non-starter of a talking point.)

On out of contact players e.g. Rotham, Witherden, Jones: "We're still working through what it looks like from a list point of view, and how many selections we'll want to have, and players that may come in and potentially may go out. You might want to give a coach an opportunity to look at these guys."

On Harley Reid: "We've had discussions most of the year with his management group. I think it sits in a really good place. We're open to doing really whatever they want to do to be honest. We're really confident in building the right system around Harley, on and off field, to make sure that he's really comfortable, that he's going to play his best footy, and his long term future."

On Jake Waterman's new deal: "Yep, really close. We're working really closely with his management on that. I expect that we'll have something done pretty soon."

On Oscar Allen: "We've been talking with Oscar and his manager most of the year on that one. We're going through some stuff at the moment. I think we'll be ok with that one."

Last edited by a moderator:
For those able to put up with some possibly ill-informed discussion on WCE Trade possibilities, they are about to discuss our squad on Trade Radio.

Shows what they know... they reckon a 3rd tall forward is something we need.

(Of course If you ignore J.Williams, A.Reid, R.Maric, B.Williams,...)

And they all seem to have this massive group love for Baker & Graham.

As a Tigers mate told me, Graham too slow & Baker too small & inconsistent.

Hannebury was surprisingly optimistic on our list, he made some good points, we are ok for top end talent for the next couple of years, but lack depth that is AFL standard.
If over the next 3 years we phase out Yeo and Gov, then Reid/Hewett/a couple more 1st round picks come on we will be more than fine

Pyke just now telling Duffield that Hewett is expected to be right for the start of pre season. Did say they were still monitoring him but were confident he would be right.
Happy Fresh Prince GIF by Nick At Nite

Unfortunately Elijah’s issue is almost exclusively load related now. All well and good to say he’s ready to start preseason but it’s going to be daily monitoring of symptoms and regular scans. Expectations really need to be tempered with Elijah but that’s not to say he won’t fly through preseason.
sad saints and sinners GIF by Bounce

Rotham definitely showed signs in previous seasons but has stagnated or gone backwards and now plays without any confidence.

I'm convinced it's largely a development issue within the club.
Give him another 5 years. He was never been AFL capable.

So he may rise from the ashes - but to improve we need to replace marginal players with better players.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How many mids do you think we need?
We'd need to promise game time. Graham and Baker will both be in our best 22, assuming we get Dev thats 3 players who can run through the midfield, are we drafting a mid with our first pick?
We may have to give the odd game to Hall, may have to give mid time to Hewett, we have Yeo, Kelly, Reid still in there.

If Reid/Yeo/Kelly do 65% CBAs each(195% of 300%, they did 220% this year), thats 105% to fill, thats 2-3 players. Hewett/Graham/Baker/Dev easily smash that in.
We'd have to promise at least some game time to get guys across, as much as it'd bne nice to bring Garcia or Dev over to bolster the WAFL.
Draft a mid with our first pick and theres no space left.

If it was a case we werent after Dev then yes im all for Garcia, but I really think Dev is a better fit
There is always space in our wafl team.
Yeo is injury prone and can also play half back.
Kelly looked a cooked last year and may never return to his best
Hewitt hasn’t even got on the park
Pick 3 could need a year in wafl to develope
Baker can play HF/mid

I don’t see any problems with getting all of Dev/Garcia/Graham thus increasing our depth and competitiveness for mid minutes

i wonder what mcqualter's relationship with oliver is like? take on his full contract and pick 5 jack bowes style 😅
McQualter will know whether Oliver is a fundamentally decent bloke who has some issues, but with support can return to his status as a top-10 player in the competition. My suspicion is that he will actually know that Oliver is poison for a list.

Maybe we'll get Petracca instead.

If Kayle Gerreyn is still available wherever pick 23 ends up he'd be a great option. Moves well for 199cm, clean hands, sharp reflexes and a great leg. In his highlights he looks to play on and get the ball moving too. Could be developed to replace Gov, who was also a forward / ruck at colts level.

Is he not too similar to Jack Williams and Coen Livingstone? Can’t have too many talls on the list that aren’t quite big enough to ruck at AFL level but aren’t pure KPF’s or KPD’s.

He's correct, we deserve band 1 Compensation LOL

On SM-A155F using BigFooty.com mobile app

To an extent I agree. Rotham was never a backman, but Simmo in his half-blinded vision couldn't see him anywhere else. He would be a good wingman, in the Embley mould, if given the opportunity there. He has the tools.

Daicos x2 are A graders in their roles. De goey played like an A grader last year. Then the depth and experience is there in Mitchell, Pendles, Sidey and crisp
This is literally what Stallon said 10-15 pages ago. Daicos and Degoey elite, supported by a bunch of role-players. They won a premiership with this mix. GWS and Gold Coast haven't been able to with eleventy top ten picks rolling through the midfield... granted those Collingwood role-players are probably better quality than the stopgap role-players we'd be able to access, but that's his point they are stopgap players, and would be serviceable until the need could be addressed properly.

My preferences for the Baker trade, in order:
1. 3 for 6 and Baker
2. 23 for Baker
3. 13 for 21 and Baker
4. 13 for Baker
I think sliding from 3 to 6 won't cost us a good midfielder, even if we have to pick Murphy Reid against his preferences, but sliding back from 13 will cost us a good player in a position of need.
I’ve come around to sliding back from 3 to 6 if it means we keep 13.

I’ll swap option 2 with 1 though.

All reads well but 100% do not want Gerreyn. Nothing to do with his football ability and I’m confident West Coast will be across it.

Kayle Gerreyn is a rookie prospect and will test terribly.

From the North board.

199cm, 100kg
Vertical 79cm
20m 3.226
Agility 8.567
Yo-Yo 20.02 ??

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back