List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links:
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

• Zane Trew, Jamaine Jones and Jordyn Baker delisted

• List Manager Matt Clarke appeared on Gettable - Click spoiler below for summary
    On the draft: "We predicted that the draft was strong, but it's probably gotten stronger during the year."

On top end of draft: "You could probably make five or six different choices and get it right."

On Pick 3: "I reckon there's five (players) around that mark."

On splitting: "I think you want to hold an early selection if you can. The depth of this group allows you to maybe have some movement there, and see what you can do to bring in more talent in the first 20-25 picks. Easier said than done, and I think most clubs would be saying the same thing. We'll see what we can do."

On Liam Baker: "He's still yet to make a decision. They're still weighing up a few things. We'd love to get Liam on board from what he offers from a talent and leadership point of view. We understand where we're at as a group, we're rebuilding our group, we need to add some guys in the middle tier to support our young group."

On Jack Graham: "We've got a number of players that we're speaking to. A bit of a wait and see on that one as well. We'll talk to a number of guys."

On Shai Bolton: "I think it will be difficult for anybody, really. He's heavily contracted and a high quality player."

On James Peatling: "He's heavily involved in a finals series at the moment so I don't want to comment too much on it, but I think there's a number of guys that have been playing really good footy this year that could suit what we do and what other clubs do. He's taken his footy to another level this year."

On Tom Barrass: "We've had an early discussion with Hawthorn about it, they understand where we're at. He's nominated Hawthorn as his ideal destination. We want what we think he's worth, as a genuine key back in the competition that can do what he can do. We're obviously mindful of getting an appropriate deal for West Coast."

On Tom Clurey: "Maybe (note: sounded very non enthused). We'd probably need some key back depth, whether that's through the draft or trade and free agency."

On Jack Darling: "We've had initial discussions with his management group about (moving). We're open to talking, as we are with all of our players, but Jack's contracted with us."

On Liam Ryan: "I expect him to be at West Coast next year, yes." (The most definitive answer of the day by a mile, a non-starter of a talking point.)

On out of contact players e.g. Rotham, Witherden, Jones: "We're still working through what it looks like from a list point of view, and how many selections we'll want to have, and players that may come in and potentially may go out. You might want to give a coach an opportunity to look at these guys."

On Harley Reid: "We've had discussions most of the year with his management group. I think it sits in a really good place. We're open to doing really whatever they want to do to be honest. We're really confident in building the right system around Harley, on and off field, to make sure that he's really comfortable, that he's going to play his best footy, and his long term future."

On Jake Waterman's new deal: "Yep, really close. We're working really closely with his management on that. I expect that we'll have something done pretty soon."

On Oscar Allen: "We've been talking with Oscar and his manager most of the year on that one. We're going through some stuff at the moment. I think we'll be ok with that one."

Last edited by a moderator:
Hannebury was surprisingly optimistic on our list, he made some good points, we are ok for top end talent for the next couple of years, but lack depth that is AFL standard.
If over the next 3 years we phase out Yeo and Gov, then Reid/Hewett/a couple more 1st round picks come on we will be more than fine
Having waterman really come on has helped a lot , with all our tall forwards it allows us to plug other holes. Edwards showing more last season and hough and ginbey down back are good too

On SM-S921B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Should we ask the question about Corey Warner this year?
Balanced mid who goes at 20something touches a game in the VFL. Depth option who wont get games at the Swans with their depth and constant adding of academy kids. Wouldnt get a game at Freo either, but might with us.
Start the process of getting Chad next year. Probably not really a consideration until next year but Corey may appreciate a better chance at getting a game.

May also make Chad feel a little more homesick without any family over there too to make sure he comes back next year

Should we ask the question about Corey Warner this year?
Balanced mid who goes at 20something touches a game in the VFL. Depth option who wont get games at the Swans with their depth and constant adding of academy kids. Wouldnt get a game at Freo either, but might with us.
Start the process of getting Chad next year. Probably not really a consideration until next year but Corey may appreciate a better chance at getting a game.

May also make Chad feel a little more homesick without any family over there too to make sure he comes back next year
I would but we would need to cut deeper a bit if we did. I dont think club has the courage for that.

I was just going to go with the below

Dear Pykey

Why is our list manager such a fat stupid dickhead. Our list is crap and so far he hasnt done anything about it. Could you please let that walking ball of anus puss know that we are not happy
I mean, what can he even do to improve it before trade week starts?

Dig up players from the cemetery below MRP?

We should comfortably have 8 list spots if we delist Witherden, 7 if we dont.
Graham, Baker, Dev/Garcia and Corey Warner with 4 picks is easily doable imo.

Take pick 3+13/23+Champion and somehow find another pick
More cuts. Keep hearing picks in the 40s this year are like picks in 20s of any other draft.

More cuts. Keep hearing picks in the 40s this year are like picks in 20s of any other draft.
Sounds like your average hype. Isn't this a deep draft more than a good draft?

Sounds like your average hype. Isn't this a deep draft more than a good draft?

Deep and good. Very even. Lots of talent. Get on it.

I doubt we are getting Dev or Garcia…or Warner (wut?), so picks shouldn’t be an issue.

There will be picks involved in the Baker trade, won’t be a 1 pick swap.

Witherden will stay if Rotham goes - or vice versa I think.

If we cut more it starts to go into delisting guys a year early, do we even have the salary cap to delist a guy like Sheed or something? id assume we would have front loaded as much as possible

Split 23 into 2 picks around pick 30-40 I agree with if we dont want a KPD

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Like i said before Richmond are only offloading players to speed up there rebuild, this will slow our rebuild down big time.

At some point can you please get your head around the fact that Richmond aren’t offloading players

They’ve offered Graham a contract of equal value to stay and would happily retain Baker if they could

Graham costs no draft capital and helps fill a void in our list for 2 or 3 years before he becomes a depth player helping new recruits in the WAFL

Baker is comfortably best 22 and will give us ~100 games of decent football. The issue with him is draft cost and we have to wait before we know what that is- an early R2 pick seems fair based on what other players of similar ability have been traded for

I doubt we are getting Dev or Garcia…or Warner (wut?), so picks shouldn’t be an issue.
I was asking for thoughts on going for Corey Warner...
There will be picks involved in the Baker trade, won’t be a 1 pick swap.

Witherden will stay if Rotham goes - or vice versa I think.
I agree, unless we decide to move guys like Maric, Hunt and potentially trial someone else into the backline or draft a couple of defenders

Ah so id take 5 picks no matter what myself. If we wanted the 4th player then id delist Callum Jamieson without losing 1 eyelash. Dont think the club would be so brave

Awfully close to 13 for baker and 21.

Assuming Sydney would do that trade, which I can’t see why they would at all. Why would they give up a first rounder to move 4 spots? That can only happen on draft night if a player they rated at say top 5 is still available.

All other offers for GC 12 are about the points. If we wish to trade for junkier picks, then sure. So not sure about “plenty of others” that wouldn’t severely dilute what we have.

You might be right in that Sydney wouldn’t do that trade. It was a quick example

As for Gold Coast, their side of the trade is for points but the other side is clubs trying to move up the draft order. Melbourne traded picks 14,27,35 last year to Gold Coast for pick 11

My main point is that if/when we do get pick 13 for Barrass we should at least look at what other clubs are prepared to offer for it before blindly handing it over to Richmond

The offers to Gold Coast for pick 12 will be a handy guide to what pick 13 is worth

Split everything then. 3, 13 + 23 for 7, 17, 27, 37, 47 + 57 :p
Get at least 30 back for the TB deal if the Future first isn’t a goer.

As the other poster said. At least 29 in the Baker for 13 deal 🤯

3, 23,29,30 and Champion plus need a rookie spot for Mature age ruck (Blakiston?)

Baker + Graham + Dev + Garcia.

10 spots needed so 11 retirements/Delistings/Trades
1- Gaff (Retired)
2- TB (Traded)
3- Darling (Traded)
4- Culley (Traded/delisted)
5- L Edwards (medically retired)
6- Witherden (delisted
7- Rotham (free agent?)
8- Trew (delisted)
9- Baker (delisted)
10- Jones (delisted)
11- Burgiel (the one I would re rookie if we have any other players traded out)

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back