List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links:
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

• Zane Trew, Jamaine Jones and Jordyn Baker delisted

• List Manager Matt Clarke appeared on Gettable - Click spoiler below for summary
    On the draft: "We predicted that the draft was strong, but it's probably gotten stronger during the year."

On top end of draft: "You could probably make five or six different choices and get it right."

On Pick 3: "I reckon there's five (players) around that mark."

On splitting: "I think you want to hold an early selection if you can. The depth of this group allows you to maybe have some movement there, and see what you can do to bring in more talent in the first 20-25 picks. Easier said than done, and I think most clubs would be saying the same thing. We'll see what we can do."

On Liam Baker: "He's still yet to make a decision. They're still weighing up a few things. We'd love to get Liam on board from what he offers from a talent and leadership point of view. We understand where we're at as a group, we're rebuilding our group, we need to add some guys in the middle tier to support our young group."

On Jack Graham: "We've got a number of players that we're speaking to. A bit of a wait and see on that one as well. We'll talk to a number of guys."

On Shai Bolton: "I think it will be difficult for anybody, really. He's heavily contracted and a high quality player."

On James Peatling: "He's heavily involved in a finals series at the moment so I don't want to comment too much on it, but I think there's a number of guys that have been playing really good footy this year that could suit what we do and what other clubs do. He's taken his footy to another level this year."

On Tom Barrass: "We've had an early discussion with Hawthorn about it, they understand where we're at. He's nominated Hawthorn as his ideal destination. We want what we think he's worth, as a genuine key back in the competition that can do what he can do. We're obviously mindful of getting an appropriate deal for West Coast."

On Tom Clurey: "Maybe (note: sounded very non enthused). We'd probably need some key back depth, whether that's through the draft or trade and free agency."

On Jack Darling: "We've had initial discussions with his management group about (moving). We're open to talking, as we are with all of our players, but Jack's contracted with us."

On Liam Ryan: "I expect him to be at West Coast next year, yes." (The most definitive answer of the day by a mile, a non-starter of a talking point.)

On out of contact players e.g. Rotham, Witherden, Jones: "We're still working through what it looks like from a list point of view, and how many selections we'll want to have, and players that may come in and potentially may go out. You might want to give a coach an opportunity to look at these guys."

On Harley Reid: "We've had discussions most of the year with his management group. I think it sits in a really good place. We're open to doing really whatever they want to do to be honest. We're really confident in building the right system around Harley, on and off field, to make sure that he's really comfortable, that he's going to play his best footy, and his long term future."

On Jake Waterman's new deal: "Yep, really close. We're working really closely with his management on that. I expect that we'll have something done pretty soon."

On Oscar Allen: "We've been talking with Oscar and his manager most of the year on that one. We're going through some stuff at the moment. I think we'll be ok with that one."

Last edited by a moderator:

I don't understand why the PSD is not a genuine threat from us while we're at the bottom? Pay unders for Baker or walk him to the draft. Like Pyke said earlier in the year, we need to use all avenues available to us to improve our list.
Richmond won't take Baker at #1 ahead of us because of the fallout it would have with the AFLPA, let alone the message it would send to the rest of their list about how the club values them.
Exactly.....or find himself at north on a rookie contract.

Unless something changes between now and the first day of trade week the deal is still 13 for Baker and 21. It’s a shit deal and pretty disappointing.

And Geelong will get Bailey Smith for pick 15. This shit is foul, I hate how willing our club's been to get bent over come trade period. It's disheartening.

I don't understand why the PSD is not a genuine threat from us while we're at the bottom? Pay unders for Baker or walk him to the draft. Like Pyke said earlier in the year, we need to use all avenues available to us to improve our list.
Richmond won't take Baker at #1 ahead of us because of the fallout it would have with the AFLPA, let alone the message it would send to the rest of their list about how the club values them.

It's because all the clubs are in cahoots with each other to scratch each others backs so when academy and father/son bids come around they're not encourage to cuck one another in the bidding/draft process. Everyone's mates with each other...except when it comes to the Eagles, they'll reams us good and proper always.

Unless something changes between now and the first day of trade week the deal is still 13 for Baker and 21. It’s a shit deal and pretty disappointing.
Value wise, it's fantastic. I just struggle to understand why we would make the move as it means we don't value anyone in that range.

It's because all the clubs are in cahoots with each other to scratch each others backs so when academy and father/son bids come around they're not encourage to cuck one another in the bidding/draft process. Everyone's mates with each other...except when it comes to the Eagles, they'll reams us good and proper always.

That may be so but I need to see what open warfare looks like between clubs for context. This will help in forming my opinion on best way forward.

About to see it between dogs and BODE. Tell ya, lucky Geelong don’t have FS/NGAs.

We don’t know how the trade is tracking but Bell and Pyke would. If it’s tracking like a straight swap of Baker for 13 the decision needs to be taken out of Clarke hands due to a conflict of interest. It is worrying that not too long ago Cal and co were saying 13s was overs and now it’s seems like it’s about right. Plus they have said they would expect the Eagles to get more then TB for Baker but now seems the narrative.

Tigers likely to have 1, 6, 9, 18, 21 and 29

We will likely have 3, 13, 23, and maybe 30.

Plenty of picks to sort out a few pick swaps happening to even that trade out.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We don’t know what the trade is tracking like but Bell and Pyke would. If it’s tracking like a straight swap of Baker for 13 the decision needs to be taken out of Clarke hands due to a conflict of interest. It is worrying that not too long ago Cal and co were saying 13s was overs and now it’s seems like it’s about right and TB for Baker eagles wouldn’t do that but now seems the narrative.

Tigers likely to have 1, 6, 9, 18, 21 and 29

We will likely have 3, 13, 23, and maybe 30.

Plenty of picks to sort out a few pick swaps happening to even that trade out.

I wonder if 13-18 and 23-29 slides/upgrades (both) for Baker would be palatable.

Is slightly better than 13-21 (plus 18 is a first round selection which always helps with future year’s trading), but then 23 is pushed back 6 spots.

Tigers probably want an additional pick rather than 2x small/medium upgrades, but it may be the best of both worlds for the clubs.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Do we still think we try for a player for Barrass?
I know it was mentioned before, and a guy like Serong who wont get a game at the Hawks would fill a need.
No just trust the draft
Its not the year for getting a lot of players that cant get a game in the best 22 in there club
Maybe one then hit the draft for the rest
Just too good a draft this one to lose picks in
Also there is some really good CHB in this draft

And Geelong will get Bailey Smith for pick 15. This shit is foul, I hate how willing our club's been to get bent over come trade period. It's disheartening.
I think they will get Clarry for unders but I reckon Sam Power and the Dogs will push back massively if their best offer for Baz is pick 15. They’ve already asked the AFL to audit the Cotton On payments Baz was getting during his contract with the Dogs.

Going to go down to the last day or not at all I reckon.

No just trust the draft
Its not the year for getting a lot of players that cant get a game in the best 22 in there club
Maybe one then hit the draft for the rest
Just too good a draft this one to lose picks in
Also there is some really good CHB in this draft
Im thinking we could ask for Blanck or Serong back for Barrass(both ready made and ready for AFL), skip drafting a KPD this year, then look at Curtin next year as an option as a KPD. Something like that.

Probably not tho

Value wise, it's fantastic. I just struggle to understand why we would make the move as it means we don't value anyone in that range.
Could just be a case that the recruiters see 13 and 21 as very similar in ability, and it keeps a 3rd pick in the top 30
Personally if Lindsay, Travaglia and Berry are gone I’d be more ok with it but I think at least one of Lindsay and Berry will be there and it’s going to give me the absolute shits.

Pick 13 is the last pick (excluding NGA/FS) before the talent drops off to the next level IMO. It’s why clubs are going so hard at GCS pick 12 and unfortunately at this stage we’re seemingly too stupid to realise the same applies to pick 13. It’s hugely valuable and a drop to 21 should not be trivialised as an “8 pick slide”.

Geelong are asking for Oliver and pick 5 for a third rounder. Hope Melbourne turn around and say …

Magnum Pi Tc GIF by CBS

I hear Clayton Oliver will change his name to Whiskas for a week and as a result get transferred to Geelong as a father/son for a pick in the 40s.

Last edited:
All I hear from Crows supporters is that hes shit and they want to replace him. They even dropped him this year to give Strachan a go.
If Flynn cant stay healthy this year and we cant get anything else sure id have a look, but not overly excited

Yeah I agree regarding O'Brien, would even go further and say I probably wouldn't have a look.

He'd probably do ok for us for a few years but I'd rather not just be pushing our ruck dilemma back until we're contending. Would prefer to trade in a Knobel type who we'd be copping a performance deficit for 1-3 years compared to O'Brien but could actually be an effective #1 ruck when the rest of our team is coming on also.

Or he doesn't work out and we're in the same position in a few years that we would be with O'Brien anyway. Better to actually have a crack at someone who'll be a long term option for us, and stick with BWilliams/Flynn until we find that player IMO.

Very different position as a club to when we were contending, had quality rucks already and it made sense to trade in a Giles type.

Personally if Lindsay, Travaglia and Berry are gone I’d be more ok with it but I think at least one of Lindsay and Berry will be there and it’s going to give me the absolute shits.

Pick 13 is the last pick (excluding NGA/FS) before the talent drops off to the next level IMO. It’s why clubs are going so hard at GCS pick 12 and unfortunately at this stage we’re seemingly too stupid to realise the same applies to pick 13. It’s hugely valuable and a drop to 21 should not be trivialised as an “8 pick slide”.

It’s going to be more than 8 picks. Will have the Kako and Marshall bids and the compensation picks for Battle, Perryman and Cummings between them. So will probably end up being a 13 pick difference.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back