List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links:
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

• Zane Trew, Jamaine Jones and Jordyn Baker delisted

• List Manager Matt Clarke appeared on Gettable - Click spoiler below for summary
    On the draft: "We predicted that the draft was strong, but it's probably gotten stronger during the year."

On top end of draft: "You could probably make five or six different choices and get it right."

On Pick 3: "I reckon there's five (players) around that mark."

On splitting: "I think you want to hold an early selection if you can. The depth of this group allows you to maybe have some movement there, and see what you can do to bring in more talent in the first 20-25 picks. Easier said than done, and I think most clubs would be saying the same thing. We'll see what we can do."

On Liam Baker: "He's still yet to make a decision. They're still weighing up a few things. We'd love to get Liam on board from what he offers from a talent and leadership point of view. We understand where we're at as a group, we're rebuilding our group, we need to add some guys in the middle tier to support our young group."

On Jack Graham: "We've got a number of players that we're speaking to. A bit of a wait and see on that one as well. We'll talk to a number of guys."

On Shai Bolton: "I think it will be difficult for anybody, really. He's heavily contracted and a high quality player."

On James Peatling: "He's heavily involved in a finals series at the moment so I don't want to comment too much on it, but I think there's a number of guys that have been playing really good footy this year that could suit what we do and what other clubs do. He's taken his footy to another level this year."

On Tom Barrass: "We've had an early discussion with Hawthorn about it, they understand where we're at. He's nominated Hawthorn as his ideal destination. We want what we think he's worth, as a genuine key back in the competition that can do what he can do. We're obviously mindful of getting an appropriate deal for West Coast."

On Tom Clurey: "Maybe (note: sounded very non enthused). We'd probably need some key back depth, whether that's through the draft or trade and free agency."

On Jack Darling: "We've had initial discussions with his management group about (moving). We're open to talking, as we are with all of our players, but Jack's contracted with us."

On Liam Ryan: "I expect him to be at West Coast next year, yes." (The most definitive answer of the day by a mile, a non-starter of a talking point.)

On out of contact players e.g. Rotham, Witherden, Jones: "We're still working through what it looks like from a list point of view, and how many selections we'll want to have, and players that may come in and potentially may go out. You might want to give a coach an opportunity to look at these guys."

On Harley Reid: "We've had discussions most of the year with his management group. I think it sits in a really good place. We're open to doing really whatever they want to do to be honest. We're really confident in building the right system around Harley, on and off field, to make sure that he's really comfortable, that he's going to play his best footy, and his long term future."

On Jake Waterman's new deal: "Yep, really close. We're working really closely with his management on that. I expect that we'll have something done pretty soon."

On Oscar Allen: "We've been talking with Oscar and his manager most of the year on that one. We're going through some stuff at the moment. I think we'll be ok with that one."

Last edited by a moderator:
Mark Duffield reporting that Freo want to keep 9 or 10 to get Bo Allan. Being at Peel gives them great insights and Twomey has him moving into 12th place in September (11th excluding Levi). I read into that Cal has been given insights

Tigers will want both 9 and 10 but I expect most can see that he is not worth 2 x top 10 picks. Likewise with Rioli - pick 6 feels about right (and maybe Tigers get the right to bid on pick 12 with decent points but not huge overs)

It will be a big watch as to whether the Tigers get on with decent deals or play the disruptive game a la Cats. Playing tough might win one deal but likely not optimise their total hand.

Pick 6 feels right for Rioli?

As in you think GC will pay pick 6, or you think he is actually worth pick 6?

Mark Duffield reporting that Freo want to keep 9 or 10 to get Bo Allan. Being at Peel gives them great insights and Twomey has him moving into 12th place in September (11th excluding Levi). I read into that Cal has been given insights

Tigers will want both 9 and 10 but I expect most can see that he is not worth 2 x top 10 picks. Likewise with Rioli - pick 6 feels about right (and maybe Tigers get the right to bid on pick 12 with decent points but not huge overs)

It will be a big watch as to whether the Tigers get on with decent deals or play the disruptive game a la Cats. Playing tough might win one deal but likely not optimise their total hand.
Duff has his freo blinkers on with this one.

The tigers hold the whip as bolton has 4 years left on his contract. They have every right to demand overs for him to make it worthwhile trading him.

Was there something from Gold Coast or whatever saying pick 6 would be on the table? Or is it another pick 13 for Baker situation where theyre just having a guess?

Their pick 6 is something we should surely be looking at with our F1, if we wanted to play Geelong style games to get Warner by straight up not having enough trade capital for the guys we chase

Pick 6 feels right for Rioli?

As in you think GC will pay pick 6, or you think he is actually worth pick 6?

Genuinely our best list management strategy going forward would be to, for anyone who's decent but we could stand to lose, implant hypnotic suggestions of gold coast, gold coast, suns, gold coast, hook up their gym playlist to a backwards version of join the gold coast and hope they request a trade.

episode 14 GIF

They're so desperate/excited for anyone to come to them they'll overpay by ridiculous amounts.

Everytime I hear pick 6 for Rioli, I think "is there another Rioli I don't know about because none of the current ones are worth that"?

Yeah... I get like Barrass he is under contract.

But it seems like everyone is assuming GC will throw picks around like confetti like usual and because they've got pick 6 they've added 2 & 2 together and got 5.

If they give 6 then they are still no hopers.
If they do a normal trade, then their prospects are looking up.

Everytime I hear pick 6 for Rioli, I think "is there another Rioli I don't know about because none of the current ones are worth that"?
I'm the same every time I hear 2x1st rounders for Barrass. I just can't see it being conceivable that it happens. He's no Judd

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I know the AFL Player Ratings has it's flaws, but anytime you can pick up the guy who was rated 93rd on the season for pick 6 you have to do it!

Also, unless GC are being silly, there's no way they will give up 6 for him. 6 will probably beat the Lombardo bid so they need to keep it. Imagine 12 and 20 (if required) would be their preference as they are just going to be eaten up by points matching.

I have a feeling the GC Pick 12 will well and truly be bundled, giftwrapped with a bow and delivered to someone else (other than us) before we get all our complicated scenarios lined up.

Much like last year someone will swoop with a solid offer and snare it.

Gold Coast won't want to still be shopping it late into the trade period.

I have a feeling the GC Pick 12 will well and truly be bundled, giftwrapped with a bow and delivered to someone else (other than us) before we get all our complicated scenarios lined up.

Much like last year someone will swoop with a solid offer and snare it.

Gold Coast won't want to still be shopping it late into the trade period.
Hawks future first would get it if we wanted I imagine

A guy called the rumour king has mentioned we have touched base with Brayden Pruess as a potential rookie pickup….

Will either miss the season injured , suspended or injure others at training

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Are you ep2018 grumpier old Dad?

You're always so negative and angry....I for one vote for a username change to KingSandyKent

I love Baker’s spirit and we will benefit from his arrival along with Graham. Both seem like good characters.

That said, it feels like he has burned his bridge back to Punt Road judging from his B&F speech. He obviously loved his time and who wouldn’t with 3 Flags. He has smelt a rat in the club and the mass exodus has momentum. Out of contract means a lot and I expect a deal to go through that pisses both supporter groups off. The Taylor Adams trade of 33 feel right to me. That probably means 23 with a pick in the 30’s coming back.

Don’t forget, he took a month to decide on us or the Purples. If we had given a hard commitment, he would have come out after the exit interview and said make me an Eagle. Personally I would prefer a F2 with a 2024 R3 coming back. After all, who can name a position that he is first quartile in? Too small to be a starting inside mid, too slow to be an outside mid. Not quick by hand or foot to be a top small forward. Not elite by foot meaning he is not the quarterback distributor. What I have witnessed is a great team player who can fill in most places and a really useful utility. Kind of sounds like Liam Duggan and I would expect he is worth a mid second round. Players that can come in and play a role well.

Agree 100%.

Make him an Eagle ..... and with Longy and Champion we only need 4 more to join Harley.

Also 70kg ringing wet. Look forward to the first intraclub game when Harley throws him over the fence like a discus.

Kelly’s kicking is horrendously over rated too. Nails a bullet on the tit once or twice a game and everyone goes full mast. Then he burns Harley, turns the ball over and doesn’t run the other way.
Has bakers weight affected his career so far? I haven't watched too much of the tiges but most descriptions of baker is hes a tough competitor. Never once have i heard him being described as a pushover,weak at the contest etc

On SM-S921B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back