List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links:
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

• Zane Trew, Jamaine Jones and Jordyn Baker delisted

• List Manager Matt Clarke appeared on Gettable - Click spoiler below for summary
    On the draft: "We predicted that the draft was strong, but it's probably gotten stronger during the year."

On top end of draft: "You could probably make five or six different choices and get it right."

On Pick 3: "I reckon there's five (players) around that mark."

On splitting: "I think you want to hold an early selection if you can. The depth of this group allows you to maybe have some movement there, and see what you can do to bring in more talent in the first 20-25 picks. Easier said than done, and I think most clubs would be saying the same thing. We'll see what we can do."

On Liam Baker: "He's still yet to make a decision. They're still weighing up a few things. We'd love to get Liam on board from what he offers from a talent and leadership point of view. We understand where we're at as a group, we're rebuilding our group, we need to add some guys in the middle tier to support our young group."

On Jack Graham: "We've got a number of players that we're speaking to. A bit of a wait and see on that one as well. We'll talk to a number of guys."

On Shai Bolton: "I think it will be difficult for anybody, really. He's heavily contracted and a high quality player."

On James Peatling: "He's heavily involved in a finals series at the moment so I don't want to comment too much on it, but I think there's a number of guys that have been playing really good footy this year that could suit what we do and what other clubs do. He's taken his footy to another level this year."

On Tom Barrass: "We've had an early discussion with Hawthorn about it, they understand where we're at. He's nominated Hawthorn as his ideal destination. We want what we think he's worth, as a genuine key back in the competition that can do what he can do. We're obviously mindful of getting an appropriate deal for West Coast."

On Tom Clurey: "Maybe (note: sounded very non enthused). We'd probably need some key back depth, whether that's through the draft or trade and free agency."

On Jack Darling: "We've had initial discussions with his management group about (moving). We're open to talking, as we are with all of our players, but Jack's contracted with us."

On Liam Ryan: "I expect him to be at West Coast next year, yes." (The most definitive answer of the day by a mile, a non-starter of a talking point.)

On out of contact players e.g. Rotham, Witherden, Jones: "We're still working through what it looks like from a list point of view, and how many selections we'll want to have, and players that may come in and potentially may go out. You might want to give a coach an opportunity to look at these guys."

On Harley Reid: "We've had discussions most of the year with his management group. I think it sits in a really good place. We're open to doing really whatever they want to do to be honest. We're really confident in building the right system around Harley, on and off field, to make sure that he's really comfortable, that he's going to play his best footy, and his long term future."

On Jake Waterman's new deal: "Yep, really close. We're working really closely with his management on that. I expect that we'll have something done pretty soon."

On Oscar Allen: "We've been talking with Oscar and his manager most of the year on that one. We're going through some stuff at the moment. I think we'll be ok with that one."

Last edited by a moderator:

He’s from WA so everyone assumes he is not good and the only reason we would take him is because he is from WA.
Except when we don't select them and they get taken by an interstate team then the same people melt that "they were right under our noses"

Did bloody well to play through this for most of the season and he would have done every single thing he could to get himself right for game day each week.

Obviously Lachie Neale won’t be coming over but but targeting consummate professional mature UFA bodies that can still put their head over the ball for a couple of years and hanging on to high picks would be a far better MO to build the list. Don’t think he’s a great player but I can at least see the logic in the Graham recruitment. Baker no.

Ward, Haynes even Duncan and Boak for a year would have been a better way to go about it.

When I see updates about players of this ilk approaching the last years of their career I often think about whether we're in their ear about joining the club in a development role. The Sloane, Pendles, Parker, Neale types, Mundy and Co before them..

At least in Neales case he's spent time in WA and his partner is from here as well. Been at a couple of other clubs so good IP and exposure to different systems. Hopefully we try to shake loose as much development talent fresh out of the game as we are supposedly doing with players. I'm all on board Bunga coming back to do that role but it still feels very insular.

So the majority agree pick 13 for Baker would be paying way to much & maybe a pick after 20 with Graham thrown in would be more appropriate . So we should start a petition and hand it to WCE "no to Baker for pick 13". He will be a good player but don't sacrafice a pick under 20.

Hawks future first would get it if we wanted I imagine
I'd much rather give up the Hawks' first for 12 than Baker. Not sure how we'd make that happen though as the uncertainty and change in points system would mean giving something else up as well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Two. Matt Flynn and Harry Barnett.Everybody else are ruck/forwards.
I don't consider Bwilliams as a ruckman.
The Dockers have three with Darcy,Reidy and Knobel and four if you include Jackson who is so much better than Bwilliams.

Coen Livingstone?

If you are right we have a massive number of tall forwards.

I have a feeling the GC Pick 12 will well and truly be bundled, giftwrapped with a bow and delivered to someone else (other than us) before we get all our complicated scenarios lined up.

Much like last year someone will swoop with a solid offer and snare it.

Gold Coast won't want to still be shopping it late into the trade period.
Surely 6 goes to North for their F1 since north are actively after pick 12 this year and suns need a boat load of picks next year.

12 goes to tigers instead for Rioli in a take it or leave it scenario. Noble who is very similar to Rioli is also going to them so it’s not like the end of the world if they miss out on him.

Not sure how journos like Rhino can be so adamant on pick 13 going? Like negotiations are probably just only starting to heat up. Think the media is just getting caught up in the excitement of Richmond having a million 1st round picks and trying to force it. In what world is baker worth a higher pick than smith but because it’s Geelong no one’s mentioning that

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Two. Matt Flynn and Harry Barnett.Everybody else are ruck/forwards.
I don't consider Bwilliams as a ruckman.
The Dockers have three with Darcy,Reidy and Knobel and four if you include Jackson who is so much better than Bwilliams.

Barnett did alright as a defender last few games, didn’t he? Is he really a ruckman?

Welcome Bo Allan.
Let the melts begin in here.

Actually I don’t know why he’s so unpopular in here. Is it because some see him as a threat to be taken instead of Tobie?
Probably because we don't have a pick in his range. Tobie is getting interest as some seem to think he might be a potential flyer at 3, which we have, due to upside. Nobody seems to think Bo is worth that.

Not sure how journos like Rhino can be so adamant on pick 13 going? Like negotiations are probably just only starting to heat up. Think the media is just getting caught up in the excitement of Richmond having a million 1st round picks and trying to force it. In what world is baker worth a higher pick than smith but because it’s Geelong no one’s mentioning that

That and we also don't even have 13, whilst it is expected to come to us no one should be commenting it as fact.

It doesn’t help that people can’t read or interpret what is being said.

“Pick 13 will be involved” isn’t same as “baker will go for pick 13”.

As many have explained, it could well be a downgrade from 13 to 21. That has been reported by journos.

So it’s either: we give up a second rounder only and keep 13 but have one less pick in first 2 rounds. or we slide 13-21 and keep an extra 2nd round pick.

I'm the same every time I hear 2x1st rounders for Barrass. I just can't see it being conceivable that it happens. He's no Judd
Not all first rounders are created equal.

Pick 6 being offered for Rioli which ends up pick 7 is fairly different to pick 13 that moves out to pick 15/16 depending on bids.

Despite all the talk of how even and deep this draft is there are definitely tiers or groups of players that are slightly better than the next group.

Jagga, Draper, FOS, Lalor, Smillie, Lombard, Ashcroft and Reid are all clearly better than the next group and could even split hairs and say there is another group within that group.

Any clubs holding two late firsts or thereabouts that might be interested in packaging them up for 13?

In a world without this future goat kid that everyone wants with pick 13, I'd be keen on getting that pick, and immediately turning it into something else to keep it off the Tigers. Split it and give the Tigers half of whatever we conjure up. Which is still better than 23, so kind of yucky, but way less yucky than pick 13 straight up.

Whatever we cook up would need to leave us with a better pick than the 21 we might receive back from Richmond

When I see updates about players of this ilk approaching the last years of their career I often think about whether we're in their ear about joining the club in a development role. The Sloane, Pendles, Parker, Neale types, Mundy and Co before them..

At least in Neales case he's spent time in WA and his partner is from here as well. Been at a couple of other clubs so good IP and exposure to different systems. Hopefully we try to shake loose as much development talent fresh out of the game as we are supposedly doing with players. I'm all on board Bunga coming back to do that role but it still feels very insular.
I think ultimately Development staff don't get paid much - so it's tough to attract interstate applicants to move their entire family across the country for not much coin. Feels like that's why we lean more towards past players as they are already here.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back