List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links:
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

• Zane Trew, Jamaine Jones and Jordyn Baker delisted

• List Manager Matt Clarke appeared on Gettable - Click spoiler below for summary
    On the draft: "We predicted that the draft was strong, but it's probably gotten stronger during the year."

On top end of draft: "You could probably make five or six different choices and get it right."

On Pick 3: "I reckon there's five (players) around that mark."

On splitting: "I think you want to hold an early selection if you can. The depth of this group allows you to maybe have some movement there, and see what you can do to bring in more talent in the first 20-25 picks. Easier said than done, and I think most clubs would be saying the same thing. We'll see what we can do."

On Liam Baker: "He's still yet to make a decision. They're still weighing up a few things. We'd love to get Liam on board from what he offers from a talent and leadership point of view. We understand where we're at as a group, we're rebuilding our group, we need to add some guys in the middle tier to support our young group."

On Jack Graham: "We've got a number of players that we're speaking to. A bit of a wait and see on that one as well. We'll talk to a number of guys."

On Shai Bolton: "I think it will be difficult for anybody, really. He's heavily contracted and a high quality player."

On James Peatling: "He's heavily involved in a finals series at the moment so I don't want to comment too much on it, but I think there's a number of guys that have been playing really good footy this year that could suit what we do and what other clubs do. He's taken his footy to another level this year."

On Tom Barrass: "We've had an early discussion with Hawthorn about it, they understand where we're at. He's nominated Hawthorn as his ideal destination. We want what we think he's worth, as a genuine key back in the competition that can do what he can do. We're obviously mindful of getting an appropriate deal for West Coast."

On Tom Clurey: "Maybe (note: sounded very non enthused). We'd probably need some key back depth, whether that's through the draft or trade and free agency."

On Jack Darling: "We've had initial discussions with his management group about (moving). We're open to talking, as we are with all of our players, but Jack's contracted with us."

On Liam Ryan: "I expect him to be at West Coast next year, yes." (The most definitive answer of the day by a mile, a non-starter of a talking point.)

On out of contact players e.g. Rotham, Witherden, Jones: "We're still working through what it looks like from a list point of view, and how many selections we'll want to have, and players that may come in and potentially may go out. You might want to give a coach an opportunity to look at these guys."

On Harley Reid: "We've had discussions most of the year with his management group. I think it sits in a really good place. We're open to doing really whatever they want to do to be honest. We're really confident in building the right system around Harley, on and off field, to make sure that he's really comfortable, that he's going to play his best footy, and his long term future."

On Jake Waterman's new deal: "Yep, really close. We're working really closely with his management on that. I expect that we'll have something done pretty soon."

On Oscar Allen: "We've been talking with Oscar and his manager most of the year on that one. We're going through some stuff at the moment. I think we'll be ok with that one."

Last edited by a moderator:
Everyone is on the wrong path, our next most important recruit should be Yasmin Duursma, throw her the kitchen sink to get her to Eagles AFLW, and that should benefit the club longer term, than anything we could do in this current trade period.

I think ultimately Development staff don't get paid much - so it's tough to attract interstate applicants to move their entire family across the country for not much coin. Feels like that's why we lean more towards past players as they are already here.

Yeah that's probably on the money, literally. Someone like Neale you'd make a role for, or outlay the path for growth within the footy club. Development would be a toe in the water, with the eventual goal to be taking the reigns of the midfield.

We need good mentors and standard setters and while Hurn will be uncompromising in that role, I do wonder if we remain partially unexposed to the operations of others by hiring from within. I guess none of this considers that Mini is fresh off a decade plus with other clubs and has a full on chubby for development.

Fair to say there's been a few melts about that speech of Bakers at their BnF. This is in their Baker thread alone:
Woeful effort and he should feel embarrassed. But, adds to the theory that the players are treading on the culture we've built.
Straight out of the yeah-nah-umm school of AFL public speaking, which is not so much the issue, just the lack of thought, or of anything particularly heartfelt to say.

I think we (via the media) really overblow the idea that being part of a flag team confers some spiritual connection to the team.

To some maybe, clearly not Baker.

I've said warmer 'thank you + goodbye's to my dentist after a filling.
I won’t, and I was his biggest fan…It wasn’t a Melbourne Cup field and there was a good chance he’d be on the podium…If not sober (fair enough) be prepared and speak with respect, particularly about a club that believed in you, and provided two flags to boot…That he’ll be “watching from afar” doesn’t cut it with me…
what an unprofessional, disrespectful lil snot. GTFO mate & take it easy too, champ. You just got traded from the worst team to the 3rd worst team.

He makes Jack Higgins looks grateful

I don't get the Bolton / Baker speech hate.
I'm a pretty confident public speaker, but even I'd be nervous getting up in front of everyone having to say anything after I've just said yeah I'm off after a wooden spoon.

I'd prefer to just pay Barrass more given gov will be retired soon, if all we are receiving in return is pick 16...... we will have huge holes once that occurs and none to fill and will be a one step forward two steps back scenario with a player of his calibre. If anything trade Kelly out

Everyone is on the wrong path, our next most important recruit should be Yasmin Duursma, throw her the kitchen sink to get her to Eagles AFLW, and that should benefit the club longer term, than anything we could do in this current trade period.
Plenty of pretty WA girls.

Why would we meet with Travaglia if we didn’t plan on having a pick around his mark?

Could just be due diligence which is fair enough, but we’re either splitting 3 or keeping 13 based on that info

Lol it's standard diligence. We would have met with most of the top dozen or so candidates even just as a baseline.

I'm a pretty confident public speaker, but even I'd be nervous getting up in front of everyone having to say anything after I've just said yeah I'm off after a wooden spoon.
I respect public speaking can be very hard for some. He appeared to be a little pissed. Because, why not? Coupled with the fact he is a piss poor public speaker.

His agent should have given him a card with some words to use. Failure by him and his agent really.

From the wooden spoon, to the pervious wooden spooners, 2nd last, 3rd last and returning home. It's not like he's off to Brissy/Freo or another up and about club.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Trade Radio. Riley Garcia

Eagles haven’t put an offer into Garcia but still one to watch.

Power the likely fit if they miss out on Joe Richards.

if not will return to the Dogs on a 2 year deal.

Imo not cutting deep enough if Garcia is there and we haven’t even put an offer in.

Ridiculous if we haven't spoken in depth with Garcia, would walk into our team. Are we here to just shoot ourselves in the foot when it comes to rebuilding.

Not sure how journos like Rhino can be so adamant on pick 13 going? Like negotiations are probably just only starting to heat up. Think the media is just getting caught up in the excitement of Richmond having a million 1st round picks and trying to force it. In what world is baker worth a higher pick than smith but because it’s Geelong no one’s mentioning that

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
They dont know, if you listen the words they choose to say(twomey and Rhino) its clear the only reason 13 is mentioned is that 23 is considered unders, so 13 is the next pick up the order

I recon the Kelly looking to be traded rumour is a chinese whisper about Culley
He'd go into the PSD though if he just didn't accept our one year offer, no? Unless he doesn't fancy being at the mercy of the PSD / not his pick of clubs

So someone mentioned Preuss as a ruck backup on the cheap.

One year on the rookie list as a DFA I'd be ok with on low coin. $250k.

He seems to be permanently in rehab so no multi year deals or decent money.

If he comes good happy days. If not we had a crack.

Would prefer an option with better durability. However ruck is tough on bodies.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back