List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links:
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

• Zane Trew, Jamaine Jones and Jordyn Baker delisted

• List Manager Matt Clarke appeared on Gettable - Click spoiler below for summary
    On the draft: "We predicted that the draft was strong, but it's probably gotten stronger during the year."

On top end of draft: "You could probably make five or six different choices and get it right."

On Pick 3: "I reckon there's five (players) around that mark."

On splitting: "I think you want to hold an early selection if you can. The depth of this group allows you to maybe have some movement there, and see what you can do to bring in more talent in the first 20-25 picks. Easier said than done, and I think most clubs would be saying the same thing. We'll see what we can do."

On Liam Baker: "He's still yet to make a decision. They're still weighing up a few things. We'd love to get Liam on board from what he offers from a talent and leadership point of view. We understand where we're at as a group, we're rebuilding our group, we need to add some guys in the middle tier to support our young group."

On Jack Graham: "We've got a number of players that we're speaking to. A bit of a wait and see on that one as well. We'll talk to a number of guys."

On Shai Bolton: "I think it will be difficult for anybody, really. He's heavily contracted and a high quality player."

On James Peatling: "He's heavily involved in a finals series at the moment so I don't want to comment too much on it, but I think there's a number of guys that have been playing really good footy this year that could suit what we do and what other clubs do. He's taken his footy to another level this year."

On Tom Barrass: "We've had an early discussion with Hawthorn about it, they understand where we're at. He's nominated Hawthorn as his ideal destination. We want what we think he's worth, as a genuine key back in the competition that can do what he can do. We're obviously mindful of getting an appropriate deal for West Coast."

On Tom Clurey: "Maybe (note: sounded very non enthused). We'd probably need some key back depth, whether that's through the draft or trade and free agency."

On Jack Darling: "We've had initial discussions with his management group about (moving). We're open to talking, as we are with all of our players, but Jack's contracted with us."

On Liam Ryan: "I expect him to be at West Coast next year, yes." (The most definitive answer of the day by a mile, a non-starter of a talking point.)

On out of contact players e.g. Rotham, Witherden, Jones: "We're still working through what it looks like from a list point of view, and how many selections we'll want to have, and players that may come in and potentially may go out. You might want to give a coach an opportunity to look at these guys."

On Harley Reid: "We've had discussions most of the year with his management group. I think it sits in a really good place. We're open to doing really whatever they want to do to be honest. We're really confident in building the right system around Harley, on and off field, to make sure that he's really comfortable, that he's going to play his best footy, and his long term future."

On Jake Waterman's new deal: "Yep, really close. We're working really closely with his management on that. I expect that we'll have something done pretty soon."

On Oscar Allen: "We've been talking with Oscar and his manager most of the year on that one. We're going through some stuff at the moment. I think we'll be ok with that one."

Last edited by a moderator:
But why? So we have another ruck that is not at AFL standard to choose from? Briggs went past both Flynn and Preuss at GWS. I'd rather find our version of Jordan Sweet or draft a kid and bide our time than waste a spot on Preuss.
Preuss is AFL quality, hes way better than Flynn but just always injured. He did a hammy walking out onto the field at the start of a game earlier this year in the VFL.
Hes played 3 vfl games and 0 AFL games in the last 2 years due to injury.

The rules were changed last year to suit a ruckman like Preuss way more than they used to, as hes a 207cm 115kg beast of a man, he would be even better than when he last played.
He started to get a run on and was playing very well in 2022, but injury and Briggs coming on as a more athletic ruck kept him out.

A fit Preuss would cover our ruck position for a couple of years comfortably. He definitely wouldnt get pushed around by anybody, probably get a couple of suspensions in that time too for knocking out players

If we think we could get 16+ games out of him per year he'd be worth a punt imo

Genuinely - who is the target audience for Trade Radio? Like what is the point?

I realise the hilarity of me questioning whether anyone cares about garbage trade hypotheticals in a trade thread with 276 pages in one month.

I would give up Oscar for Warner in a heartbeat but other than that Oscar going nowhere.

Pretty icky meddling in this shit. Young kids hook up and break up all the time. She's already on her second or third club. If we legitimately went down that road and they broke up, we can't just trade her back to someone else. The uproar about using an AFLW player as a commodity to support the men's program would be unprecedented.

They'll work it out one way or another.
Pretty sure that we will have an open offer to her to come to the Eagles AFLW team, but will be her decision. Given what they are paid, they always end up where they want to go.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Genuinely - who is the target audience for Trade Radio? Like what is the point?

I realise the hilarity of me questioning whether anyone cares about garbage trade hypotheticals in a trade thread with 276 pages in one month.

Scariest part of that is I was wondering yesterday just how outlandish it would be if we tried to use OA to unlock Warner.

If we aren't into Garcia we clearly have no idea how to rebuild this team.

Absolutely ****ing ridiculous.

Easily best 22 and wouldn't cost much at all. Yeesh.
WC are really holding their cards close to their chest, I would think they’ve looked at every player available across the country.
Obviously players potentially leaving Barrass, Rotham and Darling will have a big bearing on what draft picks we have available to trade for players.
I would have thought Garcia would be worth a 3rd draft pick and currently we don’t have one to trade.
Maybe if we get our hands on a 3rd round pick we could actually be in a position to offer a trade for Garcia, at the moment I don’t believe we’re in a position to, as trade week hasn’t actually started.

Welcome Bo Allan.
Let the melts begin in here.

Actually I don’t know why he’s so unpopular in here. Is it because some see him as a threat to be taken instead of Tobie?
I think there is a lot of love for Tobie and he is generating the same man love as did the Hunter Clark in his draft year.

That said, I am not convinced Bo will make it as a true midfielder. If Ginbey can show that he will be a full time mid, I might relax more on taking Bo.

For me, I think Travaglia offers more on the outside and would be an ideal winger (assuming under Mini we abandon the gimp wing set up). I would really only want TT if we already got a true mid.

Similarly to Bo, my desire for FOS has diminished this year. He has been more effective as a HFF and HBF.

Allen is an enigma. The kind of player who could easily embarrass us for years if we trade him. Or he could keep getting injured, never quite get going and be a massive trade boon for us. Would want a lot to consider trading him.

Haha I just googled that trade.

Colbert traded from Geelong to North for Cam Mooney + draft picks (Geelong took Corey Enright).

North, what were you doing?

I'm pretty sure Colbert left coz he wanted to go to a "successful club" - which to be fair during the 90s the Roos were pretty good on field. Was pretty controversial at the time.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back