List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links:
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

• Zane Trew, Jamaine Jones and Jordyn Baker delisted

• List Manager Matt Clarke appeared on Gettable - Click spoiler below for summary
    On the draft: "We predicted that the draft was strong, but it's probably gotten stronger during the year."

On top end of draft: "You could probably make five or six different choices and get it right."

On Pick 3: "I reckon there's five (players) around that mark."

On splitting: "I think you want to hold an early selection if you can. The depth of this group allows you to maybe have some movement there, and see what you can do to bring in more talent in the first 20-25 picks. Easier said than done, and I think most clubs would be saying the same thing. We'll see what we can do."

On Liam Baker: "He's still yet to make a decision. They're still weighing up a few things. We'd love to get Liam on board from what he offers from a talent and leadership point of view. We understand where we're at as a group, we're rebuilding our group, we need to add some guys in the middle tier to support our young group."

On Jack Graham: "We've got a number of players that we're speaking to. A bit of a wait and see on that one as well. We'll talk to a number of guys."

On Shai Bolton: "I think it will be difficult for anybody, really. He's heavily contracted and a high quality player."

On James Peatling: "He's heavily involved in a finals series at the moment so I don't want to comment too much on it, but I think there's a number of guys that have been playing really good footy this year that could suit what we do and what other clubs do. He's taken his footy to another level this year."

On Tom Barrass: "We've had an early discussion with Hawthorn about it, they understand where we're at. He's nominated Hawthorn as his ideal destination. We want what we think he's worth, as a genuine key back in the competition that can do what he can do. We're obviously mindful of getting an appropriate deal for West Coast."

On Tom Clurey: "Maybe (note: sounded very non enthused). We'd probably need some key back depth, whether that's through the draft or trade and free agency."

On Jack Darling: "We've had initial discussions with his management group about (moving). We're open to talking, as we are with all of our players, but Jack's contracted with us."

On Liam Ryan: "I expect him to be at West Coast next year, yes." (The most definitive answer of the day by a mile, a non-starter of a talking point.)

On out of contact players e.g. Rotham, Witherden, Jones: "We're still working through what it looks like from a list point of view, and how many selections we'll want to have, and players that may come in and potentially may go out. You might want to give a coach an opportunity to look at these guys."

On Harley Reid: "We've had discussions most of the year with his management group. I think it sits in a really good place. We're open to doing really whatever they want to do to be honest. We're really confident in building the right system around Harley, on and off field, to make sure that he's really comfortable, that he's going to play his best footy, and his long term future."

On Jake Waterman's new deal: "Yep, really close. We're working really closely with his management on that. I expect that we'll have something done pretty soon."

On Oscar Allen: "We've been talking with Oscar and his manager most of the year on that one. We're going through some stuff at the moment. I think we'll be ok with that one."

Last edited by a moderator:
A decision hasn't been made yet has it?

How you you know we didn't offer him a contract and he decided to stay?

I fail to see how that's being "asleep at the wheel" TBH.

I don't get what transparency would look like in this situation also. Do they want a list of every out of contract player in the league, and a reason why we haven't recruited them? Or just WA out of contract players? And all this prior to the beginning of the trade period? :drunk:

We need this thread for recruitment news and a second thread for bed wetting, willsmithslap.gifs and WA footy mad shitposting.

Badge is doing a good job of updating the stickied post in this thread with any actual news

That said, a separate thread for actual news and genuine updates makes sense - will set one up tomorrow when the FA period opens up ahead of the actual trade period kicking off on Monday

Badge is doing a good job of updating the stickied post in this thread with any actual news

That said, a separate thread for actual news and genuine updates makes sense - will set one up tomorrow when the FA period opens up ahead of the actual trade period kicking off on Monday

Mate you should know 99% of my posts are bull shit, I was only taking the piss. However that's great anyway.

Finding it hard to garner any enthusiasm for the potential trades being bandied around as a fit for WC. Garcia, Preuss, Robertson etc are serviceable at best, and Baker and Graham slightly above average. Garcia and Robertson might be worth a punt with a couple of late picks. Given that Baker and Graham appear to be a done deal I hope we focus on drafting more kids. The last thing we need is another bunch of hand-me downs from other clubs. History tells us that they rarely turn out to be good acquisitions.

If we are going to draft from other clubs, the focus should be on the best available, not the marginals. Yeah, I know the Kelly trade doesn't support this argument but if WC's circumstances were markedly different over the covid years this trade may have been seen in a significantly different light.

I think Culley deserves another year at least. We've seen what Rotham and Witherden offer up and both are depth players at best. If we could somehow engineer Rotham and Witherden out and Roberston and Garcia in without impacting our earlier picks it's probably worth considering.

Genuinely - who is the target audience for Trade Radio? Like what is the point?

I realise the hilarity of me questioning whether anyone cares about garbage trade hypotheticals in a trade thread with 276 pages in one month.

When you read stuff like this from former AFL players, you get a better appreciation and understanding of just why the AFL is so concerned about the cumulative affect of concussions.

Long term brain 🧠 impairment is a serious and worrying hazard for players that have sustained head injuries and concussion/ concussions 🤕.
If you think this not true then reread the proposed trade - May I present Exhibit A your Honour .

When you read stuff like this from former AFL players, you get a better appreciation and understanding of just why the AFL is so concerned about the cumulative affect of concussions.

Long term brain 🧠 impairment is a serious and worrying hazard for players that have sustained head injuries and concussion/ concussions 🤕.
If you think this not true then reread the proposed trade - May I present Exhibit A your Honour .
YARN | He wasn't right in the head. | Braveheart (1995) | Video gifs by  quotes | 8ac64051 | 紗

I think there is a lot of love for Tobie and he is generating the same man love as did the Hunter Clark in his draft year.

That said, I am not convinced Bo will make it as a true midfielder. If Ginbey can show that he will be a full time mid, I might relax more on taking Bo.

For me, I think Travaglia offers more on the outside and would be an ideal winger (assuming under Mini we abandon the gimp wing set up). I would really only want TT if we already got a true mid.

Similarly to Bo, my desire for FOS has diminished this year. He has been more effective as a HFF and HBF.
Yeah I was never actually saying Bo is ahead of TT or that we should take him, I was asking why he seems a little on the nose in here at times.

I mentioned him mainly because if we are playing a high intensity chaos ball type game then that really suits his game. He brings lots of effort, tackling pressure and speed to the table which suits that type of game.

I know people will say that’s Ginbey 2.0 but if they watch enough of him he is quite different in many aspects to Reuben. I quite liked his finals efforts for Peel, he didn’t rack up huge numbers but he played his part.

Last edited:
Finding it hard to garner any enthusiasm for the potential trades being bandied around as a fit for

If we are going to draft from other clubs, the focus should be on the best available, not the marginals.
That's the thing, most trades are going to be ok players looking for a better opportunity at another club, or go home factor.

If an absolute gun does come up, the leaving club will be looking to maximise what they get in return, more than likely leaving everyone disappointed with the outcome.

You can only trade players that want to be traded.

When was the last real wowser trade that got you excited?

I think Culley deserves another year at least. We've seen what Rotham and Witherden offer up and both are depth players at best. If we could somehow engineer Rotham and Witherden out and Roberston and Garcia in without impacting our earlier picks it's probably worth considering.
Problem with Culley is hes OOC, and we need list spots. With baker, Graham, Hewett, potentially a mid with pick 3, potentially a dev/garcia type, and nobody leaving the midfield group hes just too far back in the pecking order.

Ridiculous if we haven't spoken in depth with Garcia, would walk into our team. Are we here to just shoot ourselves in the foot when it comes to rebuilding.
redirect to resident cage rattler and breaker WCE_phil

I am sure I "read" somewhere we offered a 2yr deal. Not having a coach is difficult for some of these players who want clarity on role. McQualter would have to conjure one up.

A Tiger supporter.
I understand your angst. I agree that Baker is not worth pick 13. I think if that’s the pick then something may come back the Eagles way. The problem for WC that I see is your club has committed to Baker and will get a deal done, because it would deter players/agents dealing with you in the future. Unfortunately you can not walk him to the PSD as Richmond has first pick and would just redraft him.
It’s an interesting situation.

One thing I’ll say about Baker: when the games on the line he may not be the match winner but he’ll stand up to the pressure when others can’t. Loves the contest.

Also the post that he has an ordinary skill level is garbage. He’s good by hand and foot.

I’ll play devils advocate here.

No club in the history of the drafting system has re drafted or taken a player in the pre season draft after their decision to leave the club has been made.

If Richmond did choose to redraft Liam after he has left the club I think you would find players would look at Richmond in a different light moving forward. Forget players choosing to come to your club.

Would you want to play for a club that forces you to stay with them once your contract has expired?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cmon KS, we want the dump thread

There are only so many fringe mids we can have on a list.

Its one thing when they are genuine kids. But Garcia is 23.

If Garcia's agent is smart, he would have already said to him

"look Riley, you may get into the midfield rotation at times at the Eagles in 2025. But they will also have a fresh pick 3 they will want to roll through there, and after most likely another bottom 4 year there, they either get in Chad Warner, or they get in another pick 1-4 midfielder. So by 2026 you are behind Reid, Yeo, Kelly, Hewett, Pick 3 2024 and pick 4 2025 or Warner. Even if you are the better player now, where they are at they will want to play the kids 20 and under before you. If they need pinch hitters through the midfield, they will have Baker and Graham. By the time Yeo and Kelly have retired, you are 26, their new generation of mids are now ready to take their place and you have gone nowhere".

It not that he wouldn't be a handy pick up for 2025, but if we haven't already selected the players to blast straight past him by 2026 and 2027 we aren't serious.

I'd imagine any agent with a non-established gun mid around the ages of 23-25 with a contract from another club in front of them would be telling them to steer clear of us.

There are only so many fringe mids we can have on a list.

Its one thing when they are genuine kids. But Garcia is 23.

If Garcia's agent is smart, he would have already said to him

"look Riley, you may get into the midfield rotation at times at the Eagles in 2025. But they will also have a fresh pick 3 they will want to roll through there, and after most likely another bottom 4 year there, they either get in Chad Warner, or they get in another pick 1-4 midfielder. So by 2026 you are behind Yeo, Kelly
Nah man, Yeo to HB, Kelly to HF. Garcia is better than Midfield Tim, and Yeo will need to be managed.

Finding it hard to garner any enthusiasm for the potential trades being bandied around as a fit for WC. Garcia, Preuss, Robertson etc are serviceable at best, and Baker and Graham slightly above average. Garcia and Robertson might be worth a punt with a couple of late picks. Given that Baker and Graham appear to be a done deal I hope we focus on drafting more kids. The last thing we need is another bunch of hand-me downs from other clubs. History tells us that they rarely turn out to be good acquisitions.

If we are going to draft from other clubs, the focus should be on the best available, not the marginals. Yeah, I know the Kelly trade doesn't support this argument but if WC's circumstances were markedly different over the covid years this trade may have been seen in a significantly different light.

Bit harsh on the history bit............. you clearly missed our 2001 golden era of Trent Carroll, Greg Harding, David Sierakowski, Mark Merenda and Michael Prior, they just showered the oppo with their talent.

Probably going to be called a bedwetter but its possible the reason that some journalists are adament that pick 13 is included is that a deal has already been agreed to in principal and that was the crux of it.
The talk was Baker was holding off nominating a club until he knew a trade could be facilitated. Hopefully I'm wrong though.

If 13 is included I hope its more then just 21 back. Maybe one of their picks in the 40's to get ahead of a champion bid.
Baker + 21 + 41 for 13 & F4. They've got 3 x 3rd rounders, surely they can give one up.

A player I would like the club to have a look at is Jye Clark from Geelong.

Wasn’t in the clubs midfield back half of this season and they will most likely add Oliver and Bailey Smith. Meaning he will be behind;
Danger
Holmes
Bruhn
Atkins
Dempsey
Bowes
Oliver
Smith

Stewart, Mannagh and others all spend time in the midfield also.

Was pick 7 two years ago, and you would think going into his third season would be looking to play regular AFL footy, but they bat too deep and realistically he will spend majority of time either out of the team or out of position.

Geelong wouldn’t want to give him up, but they also need currency to get Smith and Oliver trades done.

Pick 23 to bring him across.

A Tiger supporter.
I understand your angst. I agree that Baker is not worth pick 13. I think if that’s the pick then something may come back the Eagles way. The problem for WC that I see is your club has committed to Baker and will get a deal done, because it would deter players/agents dealing with you in the future. Unfortunately you can not walk him to the PSD as Richmond has first pick and would just redraft him.
It’s an interesting situation.

One thing I’ll say about Baker: when the games on the line he may not be the match winner but he’ll stand up to the pressure when others can’t. Loves the contest.

Also the post that he has an ordinary skill level is garbage. He’s good by hand and foot.

I do like it that Richmond fans always have a take that they have the upper hand. Out of contract, in contract, wants to leave Richmond, wants to come Richmond, restricted free agent, it doesn’t matter, Richmond always has an upper hand. They are still finding ways to come up something on an unrestricted free agent.

You can redraft him, please do and you then you miss out on two draft picks.

If Clarke is smart, he will recognise that his first job is not to be seen pampering to his previous employer. he will know this, I am sure. We are watching. He can have a nice summer or not.

Last edited:
Hopefully under Mini-Mega-Maxi whatever, Ginbey retains his position providing drive out of the backline and not as a midfielder running aimlessly around like a lost puppy? Still want another attacking linebacker with A-class kicking skills. (Duggan coulda been, shoulda been, didn't)
Frees up a midfield spot for another solid newbie or two, and coach can rejuvenate Kelly.

Some excitement ahead in seeing how the coach rejigs the available and refreshed players list...
Agree Culley is falling back in the line as a mid and we have enough forward options the way it's shaping up. Besides, from the game style clues Mini has dropped, Culley would be too slow you'd think?

Nah man, Yeo to HB, Kelly to HF. Garcia is better than Midfield Tim, and Yeo will need to be managed.
With Reid, Hewett, pick 3 mid, and Warner/top 4 pick next year will Garcia still be in the middle in 2 years time? He doesnt fit that defensive midfield mould that would complement those first round pick types.
Yeo and Kelly will still be in the middle this year anyway

FOS would slot in beautifully on a wing to start his career and Lindsay at Hawks 1R would be perfect on the other side but unfortunately it looks like we’re stupid enough to trade it. Based on some info but mostly speculation the top 16 to the Hawks 1R to me looks like this:

1. RICH Smith
  2. BRIS Ashcroft (F/S BL)
  3. NM Langford
  4. WCE O’Sullivan
  5. ADEL Draper
  6. MELB Lalor
  7. RICH Reid (via GCS for Rioli)
  8. GCS Leo Lombard (NGA GCS)
  9. STK Smillie
  10. STK Travaglia (Band 1 Battle)
  11. ESS Shanahan
  12. RICH Trainor (via Freo Bolton trade)
  13. FREO Berry (via Pies Schultz trade)
  14. PORT Armstrong (Houston trade)
  15. COLL Tauru (via GCS trade)
  16. RICH Lindsay (Baker trade)
Given Baker and Graham are on their way FOS and Lindsay are the best fit IMO, both with outside class and elite kicking. Possibly the two best kicks in the draft in fact. We should be giving the Tigers 23 and 22 (Band 3 Graham) compo and holding 13.
How can we give Richmond 22 when we don't hold it. It goes automatically to Richmond if it is a compensation pick

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back