List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links:
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

• Zane Trew, Jamaine Jones and Jordyn Baker delisted

• List Manager Matt Clarke appeared on Sept 11 Gettable - Click spoiler below for summary
    On the draft: "We predicted that the draft was strong, but it's probably gotten stronger during the year."

On top end of draft: "You could probably make five or six different choices and get it right."

On Pick 3: "I reckon there's five (players) around that mark."

On splitting: "I think you want to hold an early selection if you can. The depth of this group allows you to maybe have some movement there, and see what you can do to bring in more talent in the first 20-25 picks. Easier said than done, and I think most clubs would be saying the same thing. We'll see what we can do."

On Liam Baker: "He's still yet to make a decision. They're still weighing up a few things. We'd love to get Liam on board from what he offers from a talent and leadership point of view. We understand where we're at as a group, we're rebuilding our group, we need to add some guys in the middle tier to support our young group."

On Jack Graham: "We've got a number of players that we're speaking to. A bit of a wait and see on that one as well. We'll talk to a number of guys."

On Shai Bolton: "I think it will be difficult for anybody, really. He's heavily contracted and a high quality player."

On James Peatling: "He's heavily involved in a finals series at the moment so I don't want to comment too much on it, but I think there's a number of guys that have been playing really good footy this year that could suit what we do and what other clubs do. He's taken his footy to another level this year."

On Tom Barrass: "We've had an early discussion with Hawthorn about it, they understand where we're at. He's nominated Hawthorn as his ideal destination. We want what we think he's worth, as a genuine key back in the competition that can do what he can do. We're obviously mindful of getting an appropriate deal for West Coast."

On Tom Clurey: "Maybe (note: sounded very non enthused). We'd probably need some key back depth, whether that's through the draft or trade and free agency."

On Jack Darling: "We've had initial discussions with his management group about (moving). We're open to talking, as we are with all of our players, but Jack's contracted with us."

On Liam Ryan: "I expect him to be at West Coast next year, yes." (The most definitive answer of the day by a mile, a non-starter of a talking point.)

On out of contact players e.g. Rotham, Witherden, Jones: "We're still working through what it looks like from a list point of view, and how many selections we'll want to have, and players that may come in and potentially may go out. You might want to give a coach an opportunity to look at these guys."

On Harley Reid: "We've had discussions most of the year with his management group. I think it sits in a really good place. We're open to doing really whatever they want to do to be honest. We're really confident in building the right system around Harley, on and off field, to make sure that he's really comfortable, that he's going to play his best footy, and his long term future."

On Jake Waterman's new deal: "Yep, really close. We're working really closely with his management on that. I expect that we'll have something done pretty soon."

On Oscar Allen: "We've been talking with Oscar and his manager most of the year on that one. We're going through some stuff at the moment. I think we'll be ok with that one."

Past rumoured targets:

Last edited by a moderator:
Does Garcia push out Hewett/Reid/a potential mid with pick 3 and Warner/top 4 pick next year?
Thats 3-4 accumulator/offensive mids.
Hes fighting Baker/Long/Hutch/Brockman/our NGA kids for a half-forward spot

Garcia isnt your big body defensive mid who youd throw in there to complement those types of players either. A Dev/Graham/Hall type would be more suitable id imagine.

Next 2 years Yeo and Kelly are still around competing for a spot too, he and the eagles wont know for sure whether Yeo and Kelly are still in the middle in 2026.

Thats the situation he would be facing, hes far from guaranteed a midfield spot in 3 years time

No player is guaranteed a spot.

But to say Garcia shouldnt consider the Eagles because of lack of opportunity here is just not correct.

We have the weakest midfield in the comp ATM. We are desperate to improve our ground ball game. We need to replenish the 23 to 27 age group as we have a massive hole in our list profile.

How would any of that discourage a mid / forward like Garcia from being interested in playing for us?

All above are solid b or b plus players you pay late teens to mid twenties for. Good players not superstars.

Peatling for F2 seeems about right
Yeah, if Baker like Cummings was a FA it would be a home run.

Baker 2 years younger than ANB I believe a slightly better player but OOC compared to contracted ANB. I think Crows and Dees have good will after the McAdam trade last year.

Peatlings upside looks great but still hasn’t proven it over a decent period. Only in flashes and short amount of time.

Last edited:
The inability to get anyone in besides Liam Baker has been shambolic really. We are basically at North Melbourne levels here
That was Hawthorn last year. Missed out on a heap of the bigger name and went back to the drawing board and got players that fit a need.

Now get a couple of the bigger name ones this year.

Shai is sitting there if you want? Would cost pick 3 at a minimum. Just not the right play. English maybe? But probably dodged one there.

Sounds like we can get Garcia if we wish? Maybe Dev? Got Baker and people are complaining and Graham for free

If as rumoured the Tigers are keen on getting 2 top 3 picks, and they offered us pick 6+something to get it done, assuming FOS, Draper and Smith arent there at 6 do we just take TT?
I would but thats just me.

Been saying that the Tigers will be coming for pick 2 or 3. Rumour is they want to keep Jagga and FOS together.

North will look to split IMO but neither North or whoever trades up will do that for FOS IMO.

So Tigers will deal for either 2 or 3 whichever is cheaper.

I can just see we will split pick 3 and Baker will get caught up in the pick exchanges.

What would it take to get pick 6, 9 and Baker?

Hopefully only 3 plus 23.

Likely 3 plus Hawks F1st. Which is fine IMO. Some late picks get involved if needed.

Last edited:
The inability to get anyone in besides Liam Baker has been shambolic really. We are basically at North Melbourne levels here

W w w what?

I just nodded off for a nap and just read this.

Did I miss the free agency period AND trade fortnight already?:eek::oops:

Oh.......no. Your just overreacting again. Fhew.....

Seth Meyers Omg GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

Been saying that the Tigers will be coming for pick 2 or 3. Rumour is they want to keep Jagga and FOS together.

North will look to split IMO but niether orth or whoever trades up will do that for FOS IMO.

I can just see we will solit pick 3 and Baker will get caught up in the pick exchanges.

Likely 3 plus Hawks F1st. Which is fine IMO. Some late picks get involved if needed.
I reckon going by what Cal was saying. North go Lalor at 2 if Richmond don’t select him at pick 1

Peatling is going to be exposed for the average player he is next year imo.

One of the more perplexing things since I've been following footy is the level of interest in him, can not work it out
I think everyone got on the hook when he was only offered one year deal. So was going to be a perfect money ball player. Then his form started to get better and so did the offers. Everyone was already on.

Be interesting to see if it was a purple patch or his true form

I think everyone got on the hook when he was only offered one year deal. So was going to be a perfect money ball player. Then his form started to get better and so did the offers. Everyone was already on.

Be interesting to see if it was a purple patch or his true form
I think he's been hugely over hyped and look forward to seeing what the Crows give up for him

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When did Twomey say this? Lalor is who I want WC to take
Did a rush hour with Bill and JB during the week.

JB said surely North don’t go another mid and Cal said Lalor is different to what they have as he can play forward ect and he has him around that range. Said some other mids around that range are different to what North have already too

North will look to split IMO but niether orth or whoever trades up will do that for FOS IMO.

I can just see we will solit pick 3 and Baker will get caught up in the pick exchanges.

3+hawksf1 for 6+9+Baker is a good deal for us imo, maybe the recruiters see a bigger gap from 3 to 6 as the general public sees and its more even idk

No player is guaranteed a spot.

But to say Garcia shouldnt consider the Eagles because of lack of opportunity here is just not correct.

We have the weakest midfield in the comp ATM. We are desperate to improve our ground ball game. We need to replenish the 23 to 27 age group as we have a massive hole in our list profile.

How would any of that discourage a mid / forward like Garcia from being interested in playing for us?
Is he in the side in 2-3 years time? Im sure he wants a career long term, and im not sure the Eagles can guarantee that for him.
Maybe its not about Garcia considering us maybe, but maybe we dont see a spot for him in 2-3 years time. With Graham and Baker coming, Dev(maybe) a target who is probably a better fit, and a bunch of other half forward types already on the list or coming soon as NGA, Garcia may not be required.
Yes hes an immediate improvement but do we need that? He would cost a pick too

As an exercise I'm having a crack at the R1 line up just to see what we're potentially working with (it's how I approach my FIFA transfer windows)

FB: Duggan HEdwards Hough
HB: Cole McGovern Ginbey
C: Johnston Kelly Hunt
HF: Cripps Allen Baker
FF: Ryan Waterman Long
Fol: Flynn Yeo Reid

Int: Dewar, Hewett, JWilliams Graham
Sub: Brockman

Am hopeful Brockman, Hewett, Flynn have really good pre-seasons. Hutchinson and Maric stiff to miss.

Think Johnston is a natural fit for the wing over Hall/Chesser who would be better developed as inside mids

Does leave us a bit light on the back rotations

Misses out: Sheed, Hutchinson, Chesser, BWilliams, Maric, Hall, Petch, Bazzo

We keep lowballing ourselves, while the largely Vic media highballs the value of guys leaving Vic clubs for interstate clubs and assumes the deals will just get done.
IMHO, neither Rioli or Baker are worth 6 or 13 as touted. Rioli is an outside seagull with very poor contested ball/defensive stats and not worth any more than GC Pick 20, and it is around the same mark for Baker. To provide a comparison, who would give up Pick 6 or 13 for Duggan? I suspect not many, and yet his stats are comparable or better than Rioli and Baker last season and over their careers. Pick 6 might be a starting point for someone like Lachie Whitfield who is elite/above average in most areas.
I dont think pick 13 goes straight for Baker, we should get something back id imagine, idk about Rioli. Its GC after all
Now, most of the Vic media seem to think its a formality that Richmond will get everything they want to regenerate quickly, well we should be proactively trying to improve our hand while limiting Richmond's draft hand.

I'd rather give our F1 to GC to extract 6, rather than give up our pick 3 in this year's draft. It also looks as though GC may have 3 potential first round academy kids, including a potential No. 1, to match for in 2025. Due to changes to points and and discounts for 2025 they can't match those with junk picks like they did in 2023, they will need to bank early picks to get the points.

So, offer our F1 & 23 for 6, 12. If we finish in the bottom 3 in 2025, the points will either favour GC or be equal. Assuming we get 13 for Barrass (and Hawks F1) we'll then have 3, 6, 12, 13, 59, 77 and still have a 1st rounder in 2025.
Alternatively, offer F1, 13, 23 for 6, 12, 20, 46. Use 20 on Baker and take to the draft 3, 6, 12, 46 & 59

That is a much better result and leaves GC with 13 for Rioli (Still overs IMO) and ample points to match for their academy kid Lombard plus drafting someone else.

If Warner did become available this year, we would be in a good place to compete with Freo, because Freo have the Bolton deal to get done... if he doesn't then we may have to rethink. Hopefully, some of our other fringe players may attract 2nd or third round picks?
Id do any of those 2 trades you proposed. Baker is coming so we do need a way to make that happen though

I like the idea of limiting the picks we have next year somewhat, do a Geelong style trade where we chase Warner and promise him the world while not having even close to the picks required to make it happen. Offer them the hawks F1 and a fringe player lol

How does Jack Graham need until early next week to decided? Only had 3 months since it was known we were going to offer him a contract?

Hopefully no one signs Garcia, Dev and co while we are waiting if we have a quota of inside mids we are prepared to sign.

Last edited:
Peatling is going to be exposed for the average player he is next year imo.

One of the more perplexing things since I've been following footy is the level of interest in him, can not work it out
he played decent footy this year, albeit in a strong Giants midfield. He will have a bit less alongside him next year but he should be fine

W w w what?

I just nodded off for a nap and just read this.

Did I miss the free agency period AND trade fortnight already?:eek::oops:

Oh.......no. Your just overreacting again. Fhew.....

Seth Meyers Omg GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers
We decided that the team is good enough as is and gave all our picks to Richmond as a show of sympathy.

As an exercise I'm having a crack at the R1 line up just to see what we're potentially working with (it's how I approach my FIFA transfer windows)

FB: Duggan HEdwards Hough
HB: Cole McGovern Ginbey
C: Johnston Kelly Hunt
HF: Cripps Allen Baker
FF: Ryan Waterman Long
Fol: Flynn Yeo Reid

Int: Dewar, Hewett, JWilliams Graham
Sub: Brockman

Am hopeful Brockman, Hewett, Flynn have really good pre-seasons. Hutchinson and Maric stiff to miss.

Think Johnston is a natural fit for the wing over Hall/Chesser who would be better developed as inside mids

Does leave us a bit light on the back rotations

Misses out: Sheed, Hutchinson, Chesser, BWilliams, Maric, Hall, Petch, Bazzo
I think is sub gone next year and 5 on the bench.

Hough - Edwards - Cole
Maric -
Gov - Ginbey
Duggan - Graham -
Kelly
Baker - Allen - Hewett
Ryan - Waterman - J Williams
Flynn - Reid -
Yeo
Hunt - Dev - Hutchinson - Cripps - Draper

Emerg- B Williams - Garcia*/Carroll - Long - Bazzo

Bold
means a chance they will still be on our list in 5 years when we will hopefully be contending.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back