List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links:
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

• Zane Trew, Jamaine Jones and Jordyn Baker delisted

• List Manager Matt Clarke appeared on Sept 11 Gettable - Click spoiler below for summary
    On the draft: "We predicted that the draft was strong, but it's probably gotten stronger during the year."

On top end of draft: "You could probably make five or six different choices and get it right."

On Pick 3: "I reckon there's five (players) around that mark."

On splitting: "I think you want to hold an early selection if you can. The depth of this group allows you to maybe have some movement there, and see what you can do to bring in more talent in the first 20-25 picks. Easier said than done, and I think most clubs would be saying the same thing. We'll see what we can do."

On Liam Baker: "He's still yet to make a decision. They're still weighing up a few things. We'd love to get Liam on board from what he offers from a talent and leadership point of view. We understand where we're at as a group, we're rebuilding our group, we need to add some guys in the middle tier to support our young group."

On Jack Graham: "We've got a number of players that we're speaking to. A bit of a wait and see on that one as well. We'll talk to a number of guys."

On Shai Bolton: "I think it will be difficult for anybody, really. He's heavily contracted and a high quality player."

On James Peatling: "He's heavily involved in a finals series at the moment so I don't want to comment too much on it, but I think there's a number of guys that have been playing really good footy this year that could suit what we do and what other clubs do. He's taken his footy to another level this year."

On Tom Barrass: "We've had an early discussion with Hawthorn about it, they understand where we're at. He's nominated Hawthorn as his ideal destination. We want what we think he's worth, as a genuine key back in the competition that can do what he can do. We're obviously mindful of getting an appropriate deal for West Coast."

On Tom Clurey: "Maybe (note: sounded very non enthused). We'd probably need some key back depth, whether that's through the draft or trade and free agency."

On Jack Darling: "We've had initial discussions with his management group about (moving). We're open to talking, as we are with all of our players, but Jack's contracted with us."

On Liam Ryan: "I expect him to be at West Coast next year, yes." (The most definitive answer of the day by a mile, a non-starter of a talking point.)

On out of contact players e.g. Rotham, Witherden, Jones: "We're still working through what it looks like from a list point of view, and how many selections we'll want to have, and players that may come in and potentially may go out. You might want to give a coach an opportunity to look at these guys."

On Harley Reid: "We've had discussions most of the year with his management group. I think it sits in a really good place. We're open to doing really whatever they want to do to be honest. We're really confident in building the right system around Harley, on and off field, to make sure that he's really comfortable, that he's going to play his best footy, and his long term future."

On Jake Waterman's new deal: "Yep, really close. We're working really closely with his management on that. I expect that we'll have something done pretty soon."

On Oscar Allen: "We've been talking with Oscar and his manager most of the year on that one. We're going through some stuff at the moment. I think we'll be ok with that one."

Past rumoured targets:

Last edited by a moderator:
For a moment there I was thinking you were actually trying to put together something thoughtful. Then I saw...
Oscar Allen + pick 3 for 6 bolton + baker
We need a player like bolton more than oscar.
Having J.Will, Waterman, Archer Reid, Maric and hopefully Gerreyn in the draft will be enough Tall forward. We don't have enough x factor, match winners like bolton

We need a player like bolton more than oscar.
Having J.Will, Waterman, Archer Reid, Maric and hopefully Gerreyn in the draft will be enough Tall forward. We don't have enough x factor, match winners like bolton
players like Bolton are the cherry on top. The type of player you bring in just as you’re ready to challenge. On the other hand the guys like Allen are fundamental for your building list. Bar Waterman non those guys are proven yet.

players like Bolton are the cherry on top. The type of player you bring in just as you’re ready to challenge. On the other hand the guys like Allen are fundamental for your building list. Bar Waterman non those guys are proven yet.
Allen's had 1 good year, he is always injured

That would be the ideal situation but the way Rankine plays in the midfield and forward is similar to Bolton.

Crows wouldn’t give him up and they are bottom 4. When they traded for him they didn’t look like they would be contending either.

If we had the link midfielder already I’d be all for bringing in Bolton but we don’t so have to use pick 3 for that

When you look at the back group, we're still lacking a Jetta/Hurn type player, another quality offensive back, a speedy linebreaker with elite kicking skills - only have Gov, Hough's good but not elite. Could sacrifice Cole easily. Ginbey shows promise but kicking is unreliable like Duggan. 3 backs there that are B grade (Ginbey, Cole, Duggan), solid but flawed.

We're also losing Witherden, Rotham, JJ, Barrass... we're losing a fair bit of depth down back

As an exercise I'm having a crack at the R1 line up just to see what we're potentially working with (it's how I approach my FIFA transfer windows)

FB: Duggan HEdwards Hough
HB: Cole McGovern Ginbey
C: Johnston Kelly Hunt
HF: Cripps Allen Baker
FF: Ryan Waterman Long
Fol: Flynn Yeo Reid

Int: Dewar, Hewett, JWilliams Graham
Sub: Brockman

Am hopeful Brockman, Hewett, Flynn have really good pre-seasons. Hutchinson and Maric stiff to miss.

Think Johnston is a natural fit for the wing over Hall/Chesser who would be better developed as inside mids

Does leave us a bit light on the back rotations

Misses out: Sheed, Hutchinson, Chesser, BWilliams, Maric, Hall, Petch, Bazzo
This is too much of what we are already doing scenario in regards to mdifield and defense. I think we need to be a bit more umm creative then this. Id go with

FB: Hough, H.Edwards, Hunt
HB: Maric, McGovern, Ginbey
C: Cole. Garcia/Sheldrick, Duggan
HF: Baker, Allen, Long
FF: Ryan, Waterman, Dewar
R: Flynn, Yeo, Reid
I/C: Hutchison, Graham, JWill, Kelly

BWill, Chesser, Brockman, pick 3, Hewett, Sheed in reserve

I think Maric to HB should be first thing we try. Need some more field kicking from that spot. Hunt can provide some run and Ginbey can be the sweeper

Tom Cole at wing because we have no one else. As the year goes on id like to see Hewett take that spot. Garcia/Sheldrick as I feel we need 1 of them and no more Tim Helicopter in the midfield. Forward line id like to see Noah Long up the ground with his creativity. Baker for obvious reasons. Ryan deeper and Dewar with first go at forward. Hutchison on bench to play the HFF/Midfield utility role. Graham to tag mostly. JWill as backup ruck and tall forward and Tim Kelly to play in place of Harley Reid and not in the same centre bounce setup as each other

Ill give McQualter a ring. Think he might wanna talk to me about my ideas

We're also losing Witherden, Rotham, JJ, Barrass... we're losing a fair bit of depth down back
Rotham, JJ shouldn’t have been anywhere near our best 22. I’d say we never lost anything with those 2 going. Witho is easily replaced since he wasn’t that good anyway. A crapload of pressure on HEdwards shoulders that’s for sure. It’s why we need a guy like Maric to learn the spot in pre season to provide some flexibility

It won’t please people but I’m not convinced Witherden gets delisted

It will depend on whether or not we bring in more than Baker and Graham as mature aged players and/or trade Culley/someone else out

We’re light on in that 22-27 age bracket so if it’s just two we bring in with Jones and Trew already gone plus Rotham and Luke Edwards likely to go, then I can see Witherden being retained.

Barrass, Darling and Gaff also represent a loss of 700+ games of experience

Not necessarily saying we should keep Witho but can see why we might

It will depend on whether or not we bring in more than Baker and Graham as mature aged players and/or trade Culley/someone else out

We’re light on in that 22-27 age bracket so if it’s just two we bring in with Jones and Trew already gone plus Rotham and Luke Edwards likely to go, then I can see Witherden being retained.

Don't have too many issues keepying witho - hard at it and played most games last year. He's not the future and should be phased out but perfectly fine depth.

Agreed, but I would prefer if we could trade to fill the void or shift an existing player into defense

Just find it useful to do that exercise because you identify gaps like this

Been saying that the Tigers will be coming for pick 2 or 3. Rumour is they want to keep Jagga and FOS together.

North will look to split IMO but niether orth or whoever trades up will do that for FOS IMO.

So Tigers will deal for either 2 or 3 whichever is cheaper.

I can just see we will solit pick 3 and Baker will get caught up in the pick exchanges.

What would it take to get pick 6, 9 and Baker?

Hopefully only 3 plus 23.

Likely 3 plus Hawks F1st. Which is fine IMO. Some late picks get involved if needed.

Tigers fans will of course believe they hold all the cards in that negotiation too.

Everyone is desperate to uppercut themselves for their cause.

Rotham, JJ shouldn’t have been anywhere near our best 22. I’d say we never lost anything with those 2 going. Witho is easily replaced since he wasn’t that good anyway. A crapload of pressure on HEdwards shoulders that’s for sure. It’s why we need a guy like Maric to learn the spot in pre season to provide some flexibility

The point is you need depth, if 2-3 players go out with suspension or injury who comes in?

Draper out of combine with more back issues, think we should pay attention to that because he would have tested very well. Trainor out too.

Only leaves Jagga, FOS, Langford and Smillie to test out of the top mids along with Travaglia.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Draper out of combine with more back issues, think we should pay attention to Thai because he would have tested very well. Trainor out too.

Only leaves Jagga, FOS, Langford and Smillie to test out of the top mids along with Travaglia.
interested rubbing hands GIF

Duggan..shit kick.
Cole………shit kick
Hunt……..shit kick
Kelly………shit kick
Rotham…shit kick
Witho……shit kick
BW………..shit kick
Every one of these guys could put a footy within a square metre at training but decision making/execution/pressure sorts them out.
Skills,skills,skills and more skills.

Ideally if Hewett, Hutchinson, Hall, or Chesser can take some of the center midfield work, Yeo can shift to that HB role
Ginbey did the shift to HB role to take over Rotham to be honest . For defense I’d say

Hunt permanently in defense to replace Witherden. Find a winger to replace Hunt
Johnston to replace JJ in backup HB rotation
Ginbey to replace Rotham But then Maric to defense to provide another option too

Duggan..shit kick.
Cole………shit kick
Hunt……..shit kick
Kelly………shit kick
Rotham…shit kick
Witho……shit kick
BW………..shit kick
Every one of these guys could put a footy within a square metre at training but decision making/execution/pressure sorts them out.
Skills,skills,skills and more skills.
Not quite how I’d phrase it but agree with your point. The best kicks at the top end of the draft are FOS, Langford and Lindsay. Reid is also a good kick but not penetrating and is still breastfeeding.

Another reason I’m big on keeping 3 and 13.

Ginbey did the shift to HB role to take over Rotham to be honest . For defense I’d say

Hunt permanently in defense to replace Witherden. Find a winger to replace Hunt
Johnston to replace JJ in backup HB rotation
Ginbey to replace Rotham But then Maric to defense to provide another option too

Ginbey and Hunt in the backline I like. Johnston is a good option due to his skill, but I do like him on the wing as I'm sick of us just sticking the 5th-6th best midfielder out there. Maric is a good option purely due to how good is disposal by foot is, but I'd like to see him develop into a more utility player that can go HFF/Wing/HBF.

Will be interesting to see what McQualter does, it's a young list and he can mold it as he sees fit

Jack Graham mulling over a possible move after visiting potential new club.

I think I’ve see this story before.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back