List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links:
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

• Zane Trew, Jamaine Jones and Jordyn Baker delisted

• List Manager Matt Clarke appeared on Sept 11 Gettable - Click spoiler below for summary
    On the draft: "We predicted that the draft was strong, but it's probably gotten stronger during the year."

On top end of draft: "You could probably make five or six different choices and get it right."

On Pick 3: "I reckon there's five (players) around that mark."

On splitting: "I think you want to hold an early selection if you can. The depth of this group allows you to maybe have some movement there, and see what you can do to bring in more talent in the first 20-25 picks. Easier said than done, and I think most clubs would be saying the same thing. We'll see what we can do."

On Liam Baker: "He's still yet to make a decision. They're still weighing up a few things. We'd love to get Liam on board from what he offers from a talent and leadership point of view. We understand where we're at as a group, we're rebuilding our group, we need to add some guys in the middle tier to support our young group."

On Jack Graham: "We've got a number of players that we're speaking to. A bit of a wait and see on that one as well. We'll talk to a number of guys."

On Shai Bolton: "I think it will be difficult for anybody, really. He's heavily contracted and a high quality player."

On James Peatling: "He's heavily involved in a finals series at the moment so I don't want to comment too much on it, but I think there's a number of guys that have been playing really good footy this year that could suit what we do and what other clubs do. He's taken his footy to another level this year."

On Tom Barrass: "We've had an early discussion with Hawthorn about it, they understand where we're at. He's nominated Hawthorn as his ideal destination. We want what we think he's worth, as a genuine key back in the competition that can do what he can do. We're obviously mindful of getting an appropriate deal for West Coast."

On Tom Clurey: "Maybe (note: sounded very non enthused). We'd probably need some key back depth, whether that's through the draft or trade and free agency."

On Jack Darling: "We've had initial discussions with his management group about (moving). We're open to talking, as we are with all of our players, but Jack's contracted with us."

On Liam Ryan: "I expect him to be at West Coast next year, yes." (The most definitive answer of the day by a mile, a non-starter of a talking point.)

On out of contact players e.g. Rotham, Witherden, Jones: "We're still working through what it looks like from a list point of view, and how many selections we'll want to have, and players that may come in and potentially may go out. You might want to give a coach an opportunity to look at these guys."

On Harley Reid: "We've had discussions most of the year with his management group. I think it sits in a really good place. We're open to doing really whatever they want to do to be honest. We're really confident in building the right system around Harley, on and off field, to make sure that he's really comfortable, that he's going to play his best footy, and his long term future."

On Jake Waterman's new deal: "Yep, really close. We're working really closely with his management on that. I expect that we'll have something done pretty soon."

On Oscar Allen: "We've been talking with Oscar and his manager most of the year on that one. We're going through some stuff at the moment. I think we'll be ok with that one."

Past rumoured targets:

Last edited by a moderator:

12 months on and people can probably see why we need him and why waiting for players like this and not having a plan b or missed your other options is not a great position for us (again)
Would Dev have done any better than say Trew?

Garcia's also 23 and hasn't exactly set the world in fire.

As a board, we have a weird fixation on a particular player every year, even when they aren't particularly good.

Grass is always greener, I guess.

As a board, we have a weird fixation on a particular player every year, even when they aren't particularly good.

Grass? We dealing with piles of dirt on our side. Any grass is greener then our pile of dirt

100% better than Trew.

I watched a lot of the Dogs VFL games in the first half of the year to keep tabs on Buss. Garcia was absolutely outstanding in the midfield. His average games shat all over any of our WAFL best performances and he would walk into our B22. He just wasn’t given an extended run in a settled position and role by crazy Bevo. I can’t believe we’re not offering him an extra year and a bit more cash. Particularly with the patience required with Hewett.

Yes

Been good when given an opportunity, Bullies list is harder to crack than ours. Have you watched him play?

Yes but we have a lot of them this year. (Peatling, Dev again, Garcia, Buss, Knobel, Reidy) are they good? It ain’t they? Been plenty of these types that turn into decent types at their clubs or others.

Maybe just a failure by the list management team they have locked these guys in yet? Happened last year when it was too late to pivot after Dev said no at the last minute.

Who knows they might already have a yes from Dev and co. The fact that 6 or something UFA are signing on for their club tomorrow apparently which helps with moving on to other targets and Graham ‘is taking until next week’ by that stage Garcia, maybe Dev might have all committed somewhere else.

Or a fixation with multiple player's.

This year it's Sid Draper, Riley Garcia, James Peatling and not taking Bo Allen.

Have a feeling witherden will get a 1 year deal
They would prefer to keep duds like Witherden instead of recruiting good prospects like Garcia. I think our recruiters need an overhaul as they can’t close the deals. Looks like they can’t even close the deal with average footballers like Graham and Robertson.

There's 2 x 1st rounders and 2 x 1st rounders.
Big difference between pick 3 + pick 4 (JK) + a later pick vs. 2 x picks in the mid teens.

He ain't no Judd but neither is the pick comparison Judd-esque.

Hawthorn are set to stump up pick No.13 to get Barrass across and possibly a future second-rounder, with the Eagles able to on-trade the first-round pick for Baker. West Coast are set to demand more than just one first-round pick for Barrass given he is contracted, but the industry believed asking price of two first-round draft picks is excessive for this year’s semi-finalists.

Hawthorn’s next pick currently sits at No.30 and given they start the pre-season as the second favourites to win next year’s premiership, it is likely to be a better selection than a future second-round pick if the Eagles can get it.

It will be the first real test for new West Coast list boss Matthew Clarke, who also crossed from Richmond in February to replace Rohan O’Brien.

The Eagles are expected to be busy this trade period with veteran forward Jack Darling on the move to North Melbourne on a multi-year deal that is likely to involve pick No.64.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

J Martin going to Geelong also , like some sort magic charm at that club .

J Martin , C Oliver , Bailey Smith .
Pick 1 , pick 13 , pick 6 .

I don't mind Witho but I feel like his skillset is actually better suited to a wing role, he's a decent disposer but he's just terrible at defending
Sorry don’t agree. Guys had 121 games and is mostly mediocre. I know it’s tempting to select an ‘almost’ player but he’s at his ceiling.

I’d rather take a fresh approach and it might include gambling on a new face - who mightn’t make it - or who could be far better than Witho. That could be a newbie or it could be an older player repurposed.

Repeating the same thing over and expecting different results etc etc.

wtf? I wouldn’t do Allen alone for 6, Bolton and Baker
Thank God your not making decisions at wc then, cause if Richmond offered that, you would be stupid not to take it.
Allen is not as good as you think, he's only kicked 139 goals in 7 years and he's always injured.
He's got great draft value now so trade him now before he breaks down again

Sorry don’t agree. Guys had 121 games and is mostly mediocre. I know it’s tempting to select an ‘almost’ player but he’s at his ceiling.

I’d rather take a fresh approach and it might include gambling on a new face - who mightn’t make it - or who could be far better than Witho. That could be a newbie or it could be an older player repurposed.

Repeating the same thing over and expecting different results etc etc.

I agree but as long as we can actually identify that 'fresh approach'

We're talking about singing Witho for 1 year because we have a significant lack of players in his position

Thank God your not making decisions at wc then, cause if Richmond offered that, you would be stupid not to take it.
Allen is not as good as you think, he's only kicked 139 goals in 7 years and he's always injured.
He's got great draft value now so trade him now before he breaks down again
Spot on. People don't like to hear it but he is worth more in a trade than he's been to us in 7 years.

If we got Bolton and pick 6 I'd sign in an instant.

How about:
F1 for 6 + 38 (GCS, they need huge points next year)
Barrass+38 for 13+hawks f1
23+f2 for baker+29
Darling for 64
BW+64 for DevRob+Bris f2
Culley for 47 (Richmond)
47 for Ladhams(Syd, ruck cover, he can fight Flynn)

Leaves us with 3, 6, 13, 29, 59
Next year Hawks F1, Bris f2, Wce f3

3 take whichever mid
6 take Travaglia
13 take Tauru/Lindsay
29 take a winger if we took Tauru, KPD if we took Lindsay
59 match Champion
Add Baker, Graham, DevRob and Ladhams
Rookie list take whoever

I think thats most list holes covered, with fairly balanced trades.
Drafting a couple of defenders means we can afford to delist Witho.

Next year offer Sydney the Hawks F1 + our 2026 2nd rounder for Warner, play some Geelong games and hopefully get a little unders, have our 2026 picks too if required.
Im sure teams will start to look at some of the kids we have on the list too by then, might be able to trade out a couple on the fringe that bring in more picks

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back