List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links:
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

• Zane Trew, Jamaine Jones and Jordyn Baker delisted

• List Manager Matt Clarke appeared on Sept 11 Gettable - Click spoiler below for summary
    On the draft: "We predicted that the draft was strong, but it's probably gotten stronger during the year."

On top end of draft: "You could probably make five or six different choices and get it right."

On Pick 3: "I reckon there's five (players) around that mark."

On splitting: "I think you want to hold an early selection if you can. The depth of this group allows you to maybe have some movement there, and see what you can do to bring in more talent in the first 20-25 picks. Easier said than done, and I think most clubs would be saying the same thing. We'll see what we can do."

On Liam Baker: "He's still yet to make a decision. They're still weighing up a few things. We'd love to get Liam on board from what he offers from a talent and leadership point of view. We understand where we're at as a group, we're rebuilding our group, we need to add some guys in the middle tier to support our young group."

On Jack Graham: "We've got a number of players that we're speaking to. A bit of a wait and see on that one as well. We'll talk to a number of guys."

On Shai Bolton: "I think it will be difficult for anybody, really. He's heavily contracted and a high quality player."

On James Peatling: "He's heavily involved in a finals series at the moment so I don't want to comment too much on it, but I think there's a number of guys that have been playing really good footy this year that could suit what we do and what other clubs do. He's taken his footy to another level this year."

On Tom Barrass: "We've had an early discussion with Hawthorn about it, they understand where we're at. He's nominated Hawthorn as his ideal destination. We want what we think he's worth, as a genuine key back in the competition that can do what he can do. We're obviously mindful of getting an appropriate deal for West Coast."

On Tom Clurey: "Maybe (note: sounded very non enthused). We'd probably need some key back depth, whether that's through the draft or trade and free agency."

On Jack Darling: "We've had initial discussions with his management group about (moving). We're open to talking, as we are with all of our players, but Jack's contracted with us."

On Liam Ryan: "I expect him to be at West Coast next year, yes." (The most definitive answer of the day by a mile, a non-starter of a talking point.)

On out of contact players e.g. Rotham, Witherden, Jones: "We're still working through what it looks like from a list point of view, and how many selections we'll want to have, and players that may come in and potentially may go out. You might want to give a coach an opportunity to look at these guys."

On Harley Reid: "We've had discussions most of the year with his management group. I think it sits in a really good place. We're open to doing really whatever they want to do to be honest. We're really confident in building the right system around Harley, on and off field, to make sure that he's really comfortable, that he's going to play his best footy, and his long term future."

On Jake Waterman's new deal: "Yep, really close. We're working really closely with his management on that. I expect that we'll have something done pretty soon."

On Oscar Allen: "We've been talking with Oscar and his manager most of the year on that one. We're going through some stuff at the moment. I think we'll be ok with that one."

Past rumoured targets:

Last edited by a moderator:

I think the most like for like comparison for the baker trade is the jack redden one - pick 17. Differences are jack was 2 years younger, we are at a different point in our list build currently and this is supposedly a strong draft. There's no doubt if #13 is involved then something comes back with it. We'll hold our breath.

Thank God your not making decisions at wc then, cause if Richmond offered that, you would be stupid not to take it.
Allen is not as good as you think, he's only kicked 139 goals in 7 years and he's always injured.
He's got great draft value now so trade him now before he breaks down again
Did you make an account purely to come and sling mud at our captain?

You've made 4 posts and they've all involved trading Allen or telling us he's not that good, actually.

Haven’t checked in here too much today but willing to bet the flow chart has had a workout post Peatling announcement.

View attachment 2130594
Strangest thing about the 'not a destination club anymore' meme, is that we've never been one, not in the sense where we had players lining up to come here - never tried to be one

Our success has always been built on the draft with small trades. Destination club only in that once you're there you don't want to leave.

Kelly is the only 'gun' at the time of trading that I can remember trading in. Who's next? Wellingham? Hell, Chick? A few guns in hindsight sure, but it's not our bag.

It won’t please people but I’m not convinced Witherden gets delisted

It will depend on whether or not we bring in more than Baker and Graham as mature aged players and/or trade Culley/someone else out

We’re light on in that 22-27 age bracket so if it’s just two we bring in with Jones and Trew already gone plus Rotham and Luke Edwards likely to go, then I can see Witherden being retained.

Barrass, Darling and Gaff also represent a loss of 700+ games of experience

Not necessarily saying we should keep Witho but can see why we might

What are the chances we land Jaxon Prior from Brisbane? Not sure of his contract status but his kicking is far better than Witherden’s which was supposedly his strong suit but certainly isn’t as far as I’m concerned.

His old man is still involved at the club too so there is the nepotism/jobs for da boyz angle that West Coast supposedly loves.

Trade week starts next week and at present we look like having

Pick 3
Pick 23
Pick 59
Pick 64 (Darling)

Future 2nd (around pick 34 - 40 from Hawthorn)
Loss of Barrass for the gain of Baker
Possibly Graham which would give Richmond pick 22

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think the most like for like comparison for the baker trade is the jack redden one - pick 17. Differences are jack was 2 years younger, we are at a different point in our list build currently and this is supposedly a strong draft. There's no doubt if #13 is involved then something comes back with it. We'll hold our breath.
Redden was pure mid from the get go though. Baker has played most of his career as a back pocket/forward flanker

If the general consensus is don’t trade 13 for baker, why wouldn’t we offer Hawks F1, which you can safely assume is going to be higher than 13 given they’re on the up and adding TB and battle.
Why even offer hawks F1 when there's a good chance they could go backwards and it could be a top 10 pick? Just offer 23 or preferably F2 and be done with it, take it right to the end of the trade period if we have to because they aren't going to pick him up in the PSD after he's stated he wants to move to WA and they will grudgingly accept it. If we wanted to be real campaigners like a bombers or geelong they'd probably offer a F3 if they were in the same position as us. F2 is slight unders but too bad that's how it goes sometimes and they're going to be getting overs for Bolton and Rioli, time to stop acting like a charity.

Trade week starts next week and at present we look like having

Pick 3
Pick 23
Pick 59
Pick 64 (Darling)

Future 2nd (around pick 34 - 40 from Hawthorn)
Loss of Barrass for the gain of Baker
Possibly Graham which would give Richmond pick 22
Plus pick 21 and whilst unlikely also wouldn’t rule out Barrass deal being 13 + 30.

Now Yeo and Maric would be a good duo down back, some grunt, speed and cleaner skills.
Hunt provided some drive, but is an unreliable kick like Witho, Dugs, Cole and Ginbey.
Need cool heads under pressure, that peripheral vision or spatial awareness in motion - something Reid has in spades, which makes him so special.

Not sure how it would work via trades, but a gun plug+play backman in the mid 20's bracket would be the ducks nuts.(Baker played back pocket?). Then Mini and his mates can drill some skills into the rest of the backs preseason and we have some depth.
Rebounding backs are crucial for the current game style, an aggressive attacking linebreaker.
(on that topic, Abbey Holmes asked Katy Perry if she knew what a Falcon was. Perry replied 'is it like a quarterback, do you have similar to linebackers in AFL?'
Holmes said no, we have forwards..!!?? (then explained what a falcon was))

Draper out of combine with more back issues, think we should pay attention to that because he would have tested very well. Trainor out too.

Only leaves Jagga, FOS, Langford and Smillie to test out of the top mids along with Travaglia.
Holy ****. Draper going to slide. He would have done a top 5 speed and agility.

Best news for us

Holy ****. Draper going to slide. He would have done a top 5 speed and agility.

Best news for us
Not quite what I was alluding to. He’s had a few back issues in addition to the tibial bone stress earlier this year. He would have desperately wanted to test because he’d test so well and would have done everything he could to get up for it. The fact that he’s not been able to because of a back issue suggests it’s not great. I’m more cautious on his possible selection than most.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back