List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links:
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

• Zane Trew, Jamaine Jones and Jordyn Baker delisted

• List Manager Matt Clarke appeared on Sept 11 Gettable - Click spoiler below for summary
    On the draft: "We predicted that the draft was strong, but it's probably gotten stronger during the year."

On top end of draft: "You could probably make five or six different choices and get it right."

On Pick 3: "I reckon there's five (players) around that mark."

On splitting: "I think you want to hold an early selection if you can. The depth of this group allows you to maybe have some movement there, and see what you can do to bring in more talent in the first 20-25 picks. Easier said than done, and I think most clubs would be saying the same thing. We'll see what we can do."

On Liam Baker: "He's still yet to make a decision. They're still weighing up a few things. We'd love to get Liam on board from what he offers from a talent and leadership point of view. We understand where we're at as a group, we're rebuilding our group, we need to add some guys in the middle tier to support our young group."

On Jack Graham: "We've got a number of players that we're speaking to. A bit of a wait and see on that one as well. We'll talk to a number of guys."

On Shai Bolton: "I think it will be difficult for anybody, really. He's heavily contracted and a high quality player."

On James Peatling: "He's heavily involved in a finals series at the moment so I don't want to comment too much on it, but I think there's a number of guys that have been playing really good footy this year that could suit what we do and what other clubs do. He's taken his footy to another level this year."

On Tom Barrass: "We've had an early discussion with Hawthorn about it, they understand where we're at. He's nominated Hawthorn as his ideal destination. We want what we think he's worth, as a genuine key back in the competition that can do what he can do. We're obviously mindful of getting an appropriate deal for West Coast."

On Tom Clurey: "Maybe (note: sounded very non enthused). We'd probably need some key back depth, whether that's through the draft or trade and free agency."

On Jack Darling: "We've had initial discussions with his management group about (moving). We're open to talking, as we are with all of our players, but Jack's contracted with us."

On Liam Ryan: "I expect him to be at West Coast next year, yes." (The most definitive answer of the day by a mile, a non-starter of a talking point.)

On out of contact players e.g. Rotham, Witherden, Jones: "We're still working through what it looks like from a list point of view, and how many selections we'll want to have, and players that may come in and potentially may go out. You might want to give a coach an opportunity to look at these guys."

On Harley Reid: "We've had discussions most of the year with his management group. I think it sits in a really good place. We're open to doing really whatever they want to do to be honest. We're really confident in building the right system around Harley, on and off field, to make sure that he's really comfortable, that he's going to play his best footy, and his long term future."

On Jake Waterman's new deal: "Yep, really close. We're working really closely with his management on that. I expect that we'll have something done pretty soon."

On Oscar Allen: "We've been talking with Oscar and his manager most of the year on that one. We're going through some stuff at the moment. I think we'll be ok with that one."

Past rumoured targets:

Last edited by a moderator:
We need to lose some mediocre players like McKay or Battle and get pick 4.
I’ve said this a bunch on here, but we’re at the point where there isn’t much intrinsic value in long term player retention these days.

You do your best to sign up your senior players on long term contracts, and either miss out on compo opportunities or end up in worse positions when they do ask for a trade.

Considering contracts are broken constantlg, you’re really just hampering the club by overusing them rather than exploiting FA compo

Last edited:
Would barass be a unrestricted free agent if he was out of contract now? If so what a complete Sheet Show. With out being totally selfish he could of told us he wanted to leave and we could of got pick 4 as compo.

Instead we sign him for 4 more years, giving him security, he ops out anyway, forces a trade and we get less.

Surely the AFL can see the problem, I still hpe they take steps to fix something such as priority picks etc

Clubs should be using the AFL compo picks for their trade baseline. McKay worth Pick 2 then Barrass is worth 2x 1st.

Battle worth band 1? Sure, then Rotham is worth band 3. :drunk:

Surely the AFL can see the problem, I still hpe they take steps to fix something such as priority picks etc

Of course they can, but now they're just using the system to give handouts to struggling clubs like North and St Kilda and poorly disguising it as part of the system.

It's perfectly on brand for the AFL.

AFL is lucky it inherited the gold mine of a great sport beloved by millions, as apart from that they don’t have a single thing to offer as an administration.

I’m so disillusioned already that it’s hard for me to say “I’m losing interest”, but I just don’t see how anyone other than the most casual of fan can be bothered with this.

Watch the Eagles every week, catch a few finals here or there maybe, it’s just not a competition worth investing in.

Given half back flankers are the new midfielders, maybe Pieman was just ahead of his time.

Arrrgh... yes....... but what both ATG and you fail to mention, by way of defining your comments about half back flankers, is that neither of you have added the very important caveat:

Half back flankers with elite foot skills.

We have had three of these in previous teams: McKenna, Hurn and the best of them all by foot Jetta.

It's no coincidence that all three are Premiership players, with McKenna and Jetta both having two Premiership Medals.

Time for Clarke to ring TBs manager and tell him they need to find a club that has the picks to get a deal done. Hawks options are starting to look rubbish.
Hawks have effectively gifted the Saints a bonus 550 points. Make them go and get pick 8.

We basically have to be twice as good as any side to be in contention for a flag. The fact we've won 4 and generally up around the mark (apart from recent times) shows we know what we're doing.

But the league are making it hard to actually enjoy the sport

Sent from my SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Would barass be a unrestricted free agent if he was out of contract now? If so what a complete Sheet Show. With out being totally selfish he could of told us he wanted to leave and we could of got pick 4 as compo.

Instead we sign him for 4 more years, giving him security, he ops out anyway, forces a trade and we get less.

Priority picks are not the problem.

They are needed because of the problems the AFL itself has created by father son, academy and free agency discounts and access.

If the AFL didn't devise all the BS priority access and discounts struggling teams wouldn't be struggling to rebuild and we wouldn't need priority picks to even the unfair ledger created by AFL House.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Arrrgh... yes....... but what both ATG and you fail to mention, by way of defining your comments about half back flankers, is that neither of you have added the very important caveat:

Half back flankers with elite foot skills.

We have had three of these in previous teams: McKenna, Hurn and the best of them all by foot Jetta.

It's no coincidence that all three are Premiership players, with McKenna and Jetta both having two Premiership Medals.
Bluey and Hurn weren't flashy but I can't remember too many errors by foot. Just generals back there.

Legends

Sent from my SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

AFL has inherited a gold mine with a great sport beloved by millions, as apart from that doesn’t have a single thing to offer as an administration.

I’m so disillusioned already that it’s hard for me to say “I’m losing interest”, but I just don’t see how anyone other than the most casual of fan can be bothered with this.

Watch the Eagles every week, catch a few finals here or there maybe, it’s just not a competition worth investing in.
Disillusioned is the perfect word to sum up some of the events this off season.

Trade week starts next week and at present we look like having

Pick 3
Pick 23
Pick 59
Pick 64 (Darling)

Future 2nd (around pick 34 - 40 from Hawthorn)
Loss of Barrass for the gain of Baker
Possibly Graham which would give Richmond pick 22

If this is the sum of 12 months in the chair for Clarke and Pyke then they can kick themselves in the heads.

Massive failure.

**** that idea.

Much rather we keep that pick for either a Warner raid next year ,or trading a significantly better player than Baker next year.
Next "west coast supporter" who suggests hawks F1 or pick 14 for baker is getting belted, might as well buy yourselves a Richmond guernsey and start wearing that

It's all the media nonsense around Baker for 13 that has people worried. Baker isn't worth a pick 13-18 and Barrass should be worth a lot more. Our starting offer should be 23 for Baker and we should hold that as long as possible.

Dream scenario is we land Hawks future 1st and we flip that for Baker. Another option is to try to upgrade 13 up the draft order which would take 13 off the table.

Probably be something like this without a more creative 3-way trade.

WC: Lose Barrass and gain Pick 13 & 30 Hawthorn minor win.
Richmond: Lose Baker, 29 and gain pick 13. Richmond win.

West Coast final hand.
Final hand 3, 23, 29, 30.
How the **** do Hawks win away with a win in a deal for a contracted player in high demand and the Tigers walk away with a win on an uncontracted player leaving and nominating his club of choice?

Madness.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back