List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links:
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

• Zane Trew, Jamaine Jones and Jordyn Baker delisted

• List Manager Matt Clarke appeared on Sept 11 Gettable - Click spoiler below for summary
    On the draft: "We predicted that the draft was strong, but it's probably gotten stronger during the year."

On top end of draft: "You could probably make five or six different choices and get it right."

On Pick 3: "I reckon there's five (players) around that mark."

On splitting: "I think you want to hold an early selection if you can. The depth of this group allows you to maybe have some movement there, and see what you can do to bring in more talent in the first 20-25 picks. Easier said than done, and I think most clubs would be saying the same thing. We'll see what we can do."

On Liam Baker: "He's still yet to make a decision. They're still weighing up a few things. We'd love to get Liam on board from what he offers from a talent and leadership point of view. We understand where we're at as a group, we're rebuilding our group, we need to add some guys in the middle tier to support our young group."

On Jack Graham: "We've got a number of players that we're speaking to. A bit of a wait and see on that one as well. We'll talk to a number of guys."

On Shai Bolton: "I think it will be difficult for anybody, really. He's heavily contracted and a high quality player."

On James Peatling: "He's heavily involved in a finals series at the moment so I don't want to comment too much on it, but I think there's a number of guys that have been playing really good footy this year that could suit what we do and what other clubs do. He's taken his footy to another level this year."

On Tom Barrass: "We've had an early discussion with Hawthorn about it, they understand where we're at. He's nominated Hawthorn as his ideal destination. We want what we think he's worth, as a genuine key back in the competition that can do what he can do. We're obviously mindful of getting an appropriate deal for West Coast."

On Tom Clurey: "Maybe (note: sounded very non enthused). We'd probably need some key back depth, whether that's through the draft or trade and free agency."

On Jack Darling: "We've had initial discussions with his management group about (moving). We're open to talking, as we are with all of our players, but Jack's contracted with us."

On Liam Ryan: "I expect him to be at West Coast next year, yes." (The most definitive answer of the day by a mile, a non-starter of a talking point.)

On out of contact players e.g. Rotham, Witherden, Jones: "We're still working through what it looks like from a list point of view, and how many selections we'll want to have, and players that may come in and potentially may go out. You might want to give a coach an opportunity to look at these guys."

On Harley Reid: "We've had discussions most of the year with his management group. I think it sits in a really good place. We're open to doing really whatever they want to do to be honest. We're really confident in building the right system around Harley, on and off field, to make sure that he's really comfortable, that he's going to play his best footy, and his long term future."

On Jake Waterman's new deal: "Yep, really close. We're working really closely with his management on that. I expect that we'll have something done pretty soon."

On Oscar Allen: "We've been talking with Oscar and his manager most of the year on that one. We're going through some stuff at the moment. I think we'll be ok with that one."

Past rumoured targets:

Last edited by a moderator:
We have had Sheed & Gaff sitting on the list doing SFA over the past 2 years on massive money. Graham adds far more so I’m fine with it.

We are going to struggle to reach the salary floor so the money has to go somewhere. I’d say load Reid up but we can’t under AFL rules.

If the draft is as even as recruiters have been saying sliding back from 3 to 4 means we would still get a quality player. It’s IMO a far better way of getting Baker than using 3 or 13.
Stop cucking for vic fantasies. If we're going to do that they can give us a top 10 pick back minimum or we'll just walk baker to psd anyway

We'd have to be looked after by Richmond via draft picks if we're getting them pick 2.

Season 8 Episode 2 Nbc GIF by Brooklyn Nine-Nine

Cal Twomey has Lalor and FOS as slight favourites for Pick 1. Smith and Langford marginally behind them

Told youse:

Lalor's being under-rated in the popular online draft discourse. I reckon plenty of recruiters probably have him pushing number 1 on their boards, and I genuinely wouldn't be surprised if come draft night he's firmly in that conversation for Richmond's pick.*

Exactly. But I think we could do better if we want a shot at the top line talent this year

Instead of giving up our (now) pick 4, we get Richmond to upgrade Hawks 15 to Suns 7

Richmond still get fair value or better
In: 2 & 15
Out: 6 (or 7), Graham, Baker

WC
In: 7, Baker, Graham
Out: 14 (or 15) and a lot of salary space (but front-end it, there's not many others to pay)

Maybe that's too good for us but if we make it worth Richmond's while then it can be a good win for both sides at the expense of the rest of the league

WC go to the draft with 4, 7, 26. Get one of the top line midfielder plus TT
The main problem with your suggestion is that the trades get looked at in isolation by the AFL and must be approved
I dont think Baker + #7 for pick #14 will get approved by the AFL as thats a deficit trade and not a salary dump.

But what is really strange is how Cummings gets a Band 2 pick #20 and Perryman gets band 1 pick #15
Just have a look at the comparison of perryman v Graham they are almost the identical player stts wise and age

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If it's correct that Richmond are looking at Lalor with pick one, I'd be very happy if we end up with Jagga Smith with our top pick. A ball magnet, first-hands clearance winner to complement Harley would suit us nicely. Dunno if he projects as a Lachie Neale type but we could definitely use one of those

If we were gifting the tigers pick 2 compo I'd be wanting to get Bolton worked into a deal
I'd still rather use our picks but assuming the Graham compo is upgraded from band 5 to band 1, and Baker is valued at pick 18, that is a net difference favourable to Richmond of 1,067 points. Split that between us and that would be equivalent to pick 34 owing to us for nothing in return, or the difference between the expected trade values of Bolton (9 + 16) and Barrass (13 + 30).

Basically, we should be able to turn Barrass into Bolton, Baker and Graham using Cleary's suggestion.

all these compo picks are a blight. wonder how this is going to work when tassie gets all these concessions + FA compo + F/S & NGA nominations....someones second round pick will be like in the 60's

Agreed. The points and bid matching system was (and still remains) completely flawed in its operation.

Clubs gaining an academy or F/S are getting a known quantity, who is already familiar the club, squad, coaches and training facilities. Much of the risk in drafting is removed as a result.

Rather than receiving a discount, clubs should be paying a premium on matching to have access to that lowered risk at the draft.

As for Tasmania, they are currently scheduled to join in 2028, so going by what happened with GC/GWS we can expect compromise of up to 12+ players from the top of drafts beginning in 2026 through to 2031 in addition to existing academy and F/S impacts.

It's why the Tigers are trying to amass so many picks - they have two drafts to build an entire list before the Devils throw the table over.

Likewise, we have two remaining drafts to build a midfield around H.Reid and find replacements for Barrass and McGovern.

As if this day couldn’t get any worse for WC supporters, our 2nd is pushed back even further.

Currently at 26 now after Battle, Perryman and Cumming compo.

Then 2 of the players from those 3 picks go back to play in a Victorian team in 4 years time.

And the circle of life continues.

The main problem with your suggestion is that the trades get looked at in isolation by the AFL and must be approved
I dont think Baker + #7 for pick #14 will get approved by the AFL as thats a deficit trade and not a salary dump.

But what is really strange is how Cummings gets a Band 2 pick #20 and Perryman gets band 1 pick #15
Just have a look at the comparison of perryman v Graham they are almost the identical player stts wise and age
3 for Baker+6+9, an Graham fetches pick 2
Essentially 2+3 for 6+9+Baker+Graham for Richmond
Ends at 6+9+Baker+Graham for pick 3 for the Eagles

Richmond ends up with pick 2, 3, 16 for Bolton, Graham, Rioli and Baker
Eagles end up with 6, 9, Baker, Graham for pick 3 (not counting Barrass trade)

You could argue this, even if everybody knows its clearly a rort.

Last edited:

Fair point. Asterix's suggestion might be more justifiable. We trade out 4 for 7, 11 and Baker.

Or we just do the pick swap and a cheap Baker trade separately

Also involving Freo (Bolton) and Suns (Rioli) in a megatrade would also help muddy the waters

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back