List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links:
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

• Zane Trew, Jamaine Jones and Jordyn Baker delisted

• List Manager Matt Clarke appeared on Sept 11 Gettable - Click spoiler below for summary
    On the draft: "We predicted that the draft was strong, but it's probably gotten stronger during the year."

On top end of draft: "You could probably make five or six different choices and get it right."

On Pick 3: "I reckon there's five (players) around that mark."

On splitting: "I think you want to hold an early selection if you can. The depth of this group allows you to maybe have some movement there, and see what you can do to bring in more talent in the first 20-25 picks. Easier said than done, and I think most clubs would be saying the same thing. We'll see what we can do."

On Liam Baker: "He's still yet to make a decision. They're still weighing up a few things. We'd love to get Liam on board from what he offers from a talent and leadership point of view. We understand where we're at as a group, we're rebuilding our group, we need to add some guys in the middle tier to support our young group."

On Jack Graham: "We've got a number of players that we're speaking to. A bit of a wait and see on that one as well. We'll talk to a number of guys."

On Shai Bolton: "I think it will be difficult for anybody, really. He's heavily contracted and a high quality player."

On James Peatling: "He's heavily involved in a finals series at the moment so I don't want to comment too much on it, but I think there's a number of guys that have been playing really good footy this year that could suit what we do and what other clubs do. He's taken his footy to another level this year."

On Tom Barrass: "We've had an early discussion with Hawthorn about it, they understand where we're at. He's nominated Hawthorn as his ideal destination. We want what we think he's worth, as a genuine key back in the competition that can do what he can do. We're obviously mindful of getting an appropriate deal for West Coast."

On Tom Clurey: "Maybe (note: sounded very non enthused). We'd probably need some key back depth, whether that's through the draft or trade and free agency."

On Jack Darling: "We've had initial discussions with his management group about (moving). We're open to talking, as we are with all of our players, but Jack's contracted with us."

On Liam Ryan: "I expect him to be at West Coast next year, yes." (The most definitive answer of the day by a mile, a non-starter of a talking point.)

On out of contact players e.g. Rotham, Witherden, Jones: "We're still working through what it looks like from a list point of view, and how many selections we'll want to have, and players that may come in and potentially may go out. You might want to give a coach an opportunity to look at these guys."

On Harley Reid: "We've had discussions most of the year with his management group. I think it sits in a really good place. We're open to doing really whatever they want to do to be honest. We're really confident in building the right system around Harley, on and off field, to make sure that he's really comfortable, that he's going to play his best footy, and his long term future."

On Jake Waterman's new deal: "Yep, really close. We're working really closely with his management on that. I expect that we'll have something done pretty soon."

On Oscar Allen: "We've been talking with Oscar and his manager most of the year on that one. We're going through some stuff at the moment. I think we'll be ok with that one."

Past rumoured targets:

Last edited by a moderator:
If Norf are prepared to trade their F1 for Houston and Port are prepared to accept GCS pick 13 (but not Norf’s F1) for Houston then I’d happily trade pick 14 to Norf for their F1.

Would give us our own as well as Hawks and Norf F1 next year.

Pay band 3 (pick 24) for Graham and add F3, Petch, Rotham and Culley for Baker take it or leave it and geez I hope they leave it. They won’t want to take Rotham via FA because it will dilute their Graham compo.

2024: 3, 25, 59, 64 (Darling)
2025: R1, R1 (Norf), R1 (Hawks), R4

Take best mid, Oliver, Champion and Dennis this year then 2 x top 5 mids next year and best KPD with the Hawks pick. Could easily be Rodriguez, Greeves and Curtin jnr.

3 for Baker+6+9, an Graham fetches pick 2
Essentially 2+3 for 6+9+Baker+Graham for Richmond
Ends at 6+9+Baker+Graham for pick 3 for the Eagles

Richmond ends up with pick 2, 3, 16 for Bolton, Graham, Rioli and Baker
Eagles end up with 6, 9, Baker, Graham for pick 3 (not counting Barrass trade)

You could argue this, even if everybody knows its clearly a rort.
Yo. You stole my idea

I was less harsh though and said I'd give a future 2nd to get back one of Richmond's pick 30 odds though

The club’s off-field performance so far appears pretty insipid.

It seems we’ve been corralled into dealing with Hawthorn exclusively on Barrass. I don’t recall any statement (from the Geelong playbook) to the effect that, if he wants to get to Melbourne, there are plenty of clubs there and we’re happy to deal with whoever can provide fair value. They’ve been played like guitars by Hawthorn and Barrass so far.

It seems (from the confidence of a few of the credible footy journos) we must’ve conceded we’ll need to hand over pick 13 for Baker (albeit with some other picks possibly exchanged). This heavily dilutes the Barrass compensation and begs the question is there really any point proceeding

And from the deathly silence, it would appear we’re too shy to ask for a priority pick.

FFS guys LIFT!!!

So the year is 2023 and we have just won the wooden spoon and in desperate need of high end youth through the draft.

Only problem is we have the McKay compo, the Sanders NGA, Gold Coast 4 academy players, North Priority picks, etc, etc and next thing we know is the top of Round 2 of the draft is Pick 29.

The media is finally alarmed about how the F does Round 1 go 28 picks!

So now its 2024 and what does the AFL do?

Look at the points issue with matching and advise clubs that the points and rules will change this year. Big outrage namely from the big Vic clubs (Carl & Rich) and boom, AFL retreats and the rules is applied for 2025 instead. I get this and agree with as you can't change rules on the run like that.

However... as AFL HQ is so busy and need to justify a job, they change the NGA academy rules on the fly this year gifting Essendon a free first rounder for nothing with Kako and further diluting the draft. They weren't even expecting it for most of the year.

The broken process is fine if you acknowledge it as it's fixable with some really smart suggestions even offered on here. However when you have peanuts running the show, we might as well give up!

Last edited:
Seriously eagles still wanting baker just goes to show they haven't learnt anything over the past 4 years

Magnificent post!! ! Finally, someone has said it!!!! 🙌🏼

Pay band 3 (pick 24) for Graham and add F3, Petch, Rotham and Culley for Baker take it or leave it and geez I hope they leave
Peth ? Rotham and Culley
Really ?

You would need to pay Band 1 to get rid of them

We have Cumberland , Dow & McIntosh if that makes the trade better ?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Norf are prepared to trade their F1 for Houston and Port are prepared to accept GCS pick 13 (but not Norf’s F1) for Houston then I’d happily trade pick 14 to Norf for their F1.

Would give us our own as well as Hawks and Norf F1 next year.
Death riding 2 clubs. 3 clubs if we include our own!

This would at least add some interest to what I suspect will be another horrible season.

Seriously eagles still wanting baker just goes to show they haven't learnt anything over the past 4 years

Where has it been said the Eagles are after Baker? Baker declared us his club he would like to come to. The Eagles rightfully should explore this.
Now if it happens it will come down to what we pay for him. But until that time nit sure why everyone is so worried.

Surely this is just him indulging in a little flight of fancy. There's so many absurdities there.
That scenario you’d think so. AFL would see straight through it. Band 2 and a deal worked around that could easily be manipulated.

I think most are think Jack knew it was coming down to these two teams for the last 3 months. How doesn’t he know yet? If he doesn’t, why hasn’t he signed? Maybe one last hold out to see if he can get some more from Eagles or Tigers? Or enough time for list managers and agents to see what contracts landed what band?

Peth ? Rotham and Culley
Really ?

You would need to pay Band 1 to get rid of them

We have Cumberland , Dow & McIntosh if that makes the trade better ?
I was waiting for you. They are out of contract. Look I know he’s valued at Richmond but I just don’t want Baker. Even for a F2. Please just keep him or send him to Freo for pick 10 or 110 I don’t care.

Very un Cleary like.

Starting to get a whiff of what might happening?

Big win for Richmond. We would want something else back

I'll never quite understand the posters on here who seem to think that players publicly announce their desire to move to a specific club without coming to an agreement with that club beforehand
Does anyone know who at the V/AFL makes the decision regarding compensation picks.

If Baker signs 1 more year with Richmond then could we get him as RFA next year .Richmond could get pick 1or 2 for him then and we cough up nothing picks wise
This should totally be the play. Let the AFL pay the draft capital for him.
Sorry Baker i know you want to come to Perth this year but its the team before individuals. Plus he's the one who signed a deal that finished 1year before he was a RFA.

Thats too complex and i dont like giving up #6

My idea would be more in line with Bolton involved

Graham 5 years @ $900k = #2 compo
Bolton to Eagles pick #14 (richmond cover $300k x 4 year ) effectively the difference you guys paying graham
Baker to eagles F2

Eagles : #3 , Baker , Bolton , #23
Richmond : #1 , #2 , #14
I dont really want Bolton tbh, id rather picks.

Definitely think this band 1 Graham thing should be explored more though, hopefully the clubs are thinking it too lol

Yo. You stole my idea

I was less harsh though and said I'd give a future 2nd to get back one of Richmond's pick 30 odds though
Haha it would be an absolute rort, should email the club and make sure they are thinking it too.

Can be some tinkering but something like that would be absolutely amazing, and basically counts as compo for both clubs

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back