List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links:
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

• Zane Trew, Jamaine Jones and Jordyn Baker delisted

• List Manager Matt Clarke appeared on Sept 11 Gettable - Click spoiler below for summary
    On the draft: "We predicted that the draft was strong, but it's probably gotten stronger during the year."

On top end of draft: "You could probably make five or six different choices and get it right."

On Pick 3: "I reckon there's five (players) around that mark."

On splitting: "I think you want to hold an early selection if you can. The depth of this group allows you to maybe have some movement there, and see what you can do to bring in more talent in the first 20-25 picks. Easier said than done, and I think most clubs would be saying the same thing. We'll see what we can do."

On Liam Baker: "He's still yet to make a decision. They're still weighing up a few things. We'd love to get Liam on board from what he offers from a talent and leadership point of view. We understand where we're at as a group, we're rebuilding our group, we need to add some guys in the middle tier to support our young group."

On Jack Graham: "We've got a number of players that we're speaking to. A bit of a wait and see on that one as well. We'll talk to a number of guys."

On Shai Bolton: "I think it will be difficult for anybody, really. He's heavily contracted and a high quality player."

On James Peatling: "He's heavily involved in a finals series at the moment so I don't want to comment too much on it, but I think there's a number of guys that have been playing really good footy this year that could suit what we do and what other clubs do. He's taken his footy to another level this year."

On Tom Barrass: "We've had an early discussion with Hawthorn about it, they understand where we're at. He's nominated Hawthorn as his ideal destination. We want what we think he's worth, as a genuine key back in the competition that can do what he can do. We're obviously mindful of getting an appropriate deal for West Coast."

On Tom Clurey: "Maybe (note: sounded very non enthused). We'd probably need some key back depth, whether that's through the draft or trade and free agency."

On Jack Darling: "We've had initial discussions with his management group about (moving). We're open to talking, as we are with all of our players, but Jack's contracted with us."

On Liam Ryan: "I expect him to be at West Coast next year, yes." (The most definitive answer of the day by a mile, a non-starter of a talking point.)

On out of contact players e.g. Rotham, Witherden, Jones: "We're still working through what it looks like from a list point of view, and how many selections we'll want to have, and players that may come in and potentially may go out. You might want to give a coach an opportunity to look at these guys."

On Harley Reid: "We've had discussions most of the year with his management group. I think it sits in a really good place. We're open to doing really whatever they want to do to be honest. We're really confident in building the right system around Harley, on and off field, to make sure that he's really comfortable, that he's going to play his best footy, and his long term future."

On Jake Waterman's new deal: "Yep, really close. We're working really closely with his management on that. I expect that we'll have something done pretty soon."

On Oscar Allen: "We've been talking with Oscar and his manager most of the year on that one. We're going through some stuff at the moment. I think we'll be ok with that one."

Past rumoured targets:

Last edited by a moderator:
After all the academy & f/s matches, how much further will it fall?
That’s after that.

It’s currently 26.
26-Ashcroft
27-Lombard
28-Kako
29- Marshall
now at 30.

Other FS and academy’s that are unlikely to come before that
Welsh
Camporeale x2
Champion
And I think Giants have an NGA ruck expected around the mid 30s too

I dont really want Bolton tbh, id rather picks.

Definitely think this band 1 Graham thing should be explored more though, hopefully the clubs are thinking it too lol
So you wouldnt want Reid , #3 , Bolton , Warner , Hewitt & Allan combination of midfield
you rather #14 than Bolton

Crazy

So you wouldnt want Reid , #3 , Bolton , Warner , Hewitt & Allan combination of midfield
you rather #14 than Bolton

Crazy
Id rather my idea where the Eagles end up with 6+9+13+23 with Baker and Graham before draft complexities than making Bolton happen.
We also need bulk early picks, its not just you guys.
We would still have our F1+HawksF1 to chase Warner next year

Id rather my idea where the Eagles end up with 6+9+13+23 with Baker and Graham before draft complexities than making Bolton happen.
We also need bulk early picks, its not just you guys.
We would still have our F1+HawksF1 to chase Warner next year
Nah not enough in it for Richmond and rather stick with out picks and take 14 got baker and trade for 2 with north

Phil and Bondy after one day:

The Muppet Show Muppets GIF by Muppet Wiki

Nah not enough in it for Richmond and rather stick with out picks and take 14 got baker and trade for 2 with north
I literally have you guys getting the rough equivalent of pick 12 of value for free.
Eagles get pick 9 but get stuck with the huge Graham contract.

Wtf do you mean not enough for Richmond?
Thats about as fair as I could make it, if anything Richmond gets the better deal here lmao

Does anyone know who at the V/AFL makes the decision regarding compensation picks.

Well the decision is made by a Committee of Three, to ensure the pick is determined both with equity in mind and by consensus.

It should be noted that The AFL Commission went out of their way to ensure that the makeup of the Committee was a balanced representative group, with the selection panel factoring in: gender, race and socio economic factors, when they appointed the Committee members.

Here is the vision of the three committee members on their way to AFL House earlier today to consider the appropriate compensation.

andrewisindie-drunk.gif yes-love.gif 200-1.gif

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Saints trade if they want a ‘top’ mid.

3 + 14
For
7 + 8?
I suggested it on the Saints board earlier today and they were all keen.

They really want a mid and a KPP of some sort I believe, and it would secure us Travaglia plus hopefully one of the mids that slides if Tauru or something jumps up the rankings

If you don't think there's enough in it for Richmond we can send an uncontracted Baker to the PSD if they want to be unreasonable and demand overs for him.

I think the option where you end up with another top 5 pick out of thin air is better for all parties involved rather than trying to have your cake and eat it too and outright win every trade you're involved in.

Pretty sure the afl would step in and prevent us from rigging the system by overpaying graham to get baker for cheap. Think Essendon and saints were trying to work out something similar involving Shiel last year and there was talk the afl wouldn’t let that happen.

Also really seems like the compo has not been adjusted to reflect the cba increase so obviously there is an increase in higher paid players = more 1st round compo

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Well the decision is made up of a Committee of Three, to ensure the pick is determined both with equity in mind and by consensus.

It should be noted that The AFL Commission went out of their way to ensure that the makeup of the Committee was a balanced representative group, with the selection panel factoring in: gender, race and socio economic factors, when they appointed the Committee members.

Here is the vision of the three committee members on their way to AFL House earlier today to consider the appropriate compensation.

View attachment 2131695 View attachment 2131693 View attachment 2131688
I recognize Andrew Dillon and Mama Kane, so who is the one in the top left hand

The club’s off-field performance so far appears pretty insipid.

It seems we’ve been corralled into dealing with Hawthorn exclusively on Barrass. I don’t recall any statement (from the Geelong playbook) to the effect that, if he wants to get to Melbourne, there are plenty of clubs there and we’re happy to deal with whoever can provide fair value. They’ve been played like guitars by Hawthorn and Barrass so far.

It seems (from the confidence of a few of the credible footy journos) we must’ve conceded we’ll need to hand over pick 13 for Baker (albeit with some other picks possibly exchanged). This heavily dilutes the Barrass compensation and begs the question is there really any point proceeding

And from the deathly silence, it would appear we’re too shy to ask for a priority pick.

FFS guys LIFT!!!

LOL nothing has even happened and you’re melting over speculation.

Pretty sure the afl would step in and prevent us from rigging the system by overpaying graham to get baker for cheap. Think Essendon and saints were trying to work out something similar involving Shiel last year and there was talk the afl wouldn’t let that happen.

Also really seems like the compo has not been adjusted to reflect the cba increase so obviously there is an increase in higher paid players = more 1st round compo

What if we are just really keen on Graham and he wouldnt move across the country for anything less than 900k per year?

Who are the AFL to say that we dont think hes worth it?

I suggested it on the Saints board earlier today and they were all keen.

They really want a mid and a KPP of some sort I believe, and it would secure us Travaglia plus hopefully one of the mids that slides if Tauru or something jumps up the rankings
One of the mids will be there in the open draft, Possibly 2.

1- FOS (Rich)
2- Lalor (North go a tall if they can’t get a split)
3- Jagga (Saints, not sure who they would target)
4- Sid (Adel seems to fit)
5- Reid (Dees could also go Armstrong)
6- Smillie (Rich apparently keen)
7- Langford*
8- Travaglia*

Yeah you're right let's not even worry about it and just trade a potential top 10 pick for baker...

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back