List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links:
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

• Zane Trew, Jamaine Jones and Jordyn Baker delisted

• List Manager Matt Clarke appeared on Sept 11 Gettable - Click spoiler below for summary
    On the draft: "We predicted that the draft was strong, but it's probably gotten stronger during the year."

On top end of draft: "You could probably make five or six different choices and get it right."

On Pick 3: "I reckon there's five (players) around that mark."

On splitting: "I think you want to hold an early selection if you can. The depth of this group allows you to maybe have some movement there, and see what you can do to bring in more talent in the first 20-25 picks. Easier said than done, and I think most clubs would be saying the same thing. We'll see what we can do."

On Liam Baker: "He's still yet to make a decision. They're still weighing up a few things. We'd love to get Liam on board from what he offers from a talent and leadership point of view. We understand where we're at as a group, we're rebuilding our group, we need to add some guys in the middle tier to support our young group."

On Jack Graham: "We've got a number of players that we're speaking to. A bit of a wait and see on that one as well. We'll talk to a number of guys."

On Shai Bolton: "I think it will be difficult for anybody, really. He's heavily contracted and a high quality player."

On James Peatling: "He's heavily involved in a finals series at the moment so I don't want to comment too much on it, but I think there's a number of guys that have been playing really good footy this year that could suit what we do and what other clubs do. He's taken his footy to another level this year."

On Tom Barrass: "We've had an early discussion with Hawthorn about it, they understand where we're at. He's nominated Hawthorn as his ideal destination. We want what we think he's worth, as a genuine key back in the competition that can do what he can do. We're obviously mindful of getting an appropriate deal for West Coast."

On Tom Clurey: "Maybe (note: sounded very non enthused). We'd probably need some key back depth, whether that's through the draft or trade and free agency."

On Jack Darling: "We've had initial discussions with his management group about (moving). We're open to talking, as we are with all of our players, but Jack's contracted with us."

On Liam Ryan: "I expect him to be at West Coast next year, yes." (The most definitive answer of the day by a mile, a non-starter of a talking point.)

On out of contact players e.g. Rotham, Witherden, Jones: "We're still working through what it looks like from a list point of view, and how many selections we'll want to have, and players that may come in and potentially may go out. You might want to give a coach an opportunity to look at these guys."

On Harley Reid: "We've had discussions most of the year with his management group. I think it sits in a really good place. We're open to doing really whatever they want to do to be honest. We're really confident in building the right system around Harley, on and off field, to make sure that he's really comfortable, that he's going to play his best footy, and his long term future."

On Jake Waterman's new deal: "Yep, really close. We're working really closely with his management on that. I expect that we'll have something done pretty soon."

On Oscar Allen: "We've been talking with Oscar and his manager most of the year on that one. We're going through some stuff at the moment. I think we'll be ok with that one."

Past rumoured targets:

Last edited by a moderator:
People suggesting band 1 compo for Rotham.

Gordon Ramsey Idiot GIF
Must be a typo....band 10 surley

Whilst I don’t agree necessarily with priority picks, I do agree with an even playing field.

Kangas 2022 package received for 9 and a half wins from 61.
Start of 2nd and 3rd round picks

Kangas 2023 package 12 and a half wins from 84 games.
3 end of first round picks

But west coast 12wins from 77games doesn’t scrape in for a little bit of love from the afl?
The AFL decisions are too arbitrary, subjective and opaque.

There are no (or at least it doesn’t appear to be so) objective criteria determining what they do.

“We think NM is a basket case so we will give them some extra picks, but we think WC is a strong club and hasn’t been down long enough and will get themselves out of their situation, or we are happy that they are there.”

How can we possibly rebuild when our second pick gets pushed out to #30 by all the concessions they arbitrarily offer?

WC is severely disadvantaged based in a state on the other side of the country in a number of ways.
Many players do not want to come here.

The whole system has become beyond a joke.

Trading Ryan out is the way to go. Last year Carlton offered a pick that would of given West Coast Cooper Simpson. This is the option West Coast need to go for this year. Trade Ryan and use the pick on a quick aggressive hard working small fwd. Make defence a non-negotiable and mold young forwards into a competitive unit.

You would also look at the fact that Ryan putting up some awful efforts at the end of the season under Schofield someone he has a past relationship with. So if he won't compete for Schofield what chance has McQualter got of getting anything out of him.
Flyin’ and TK are the remaining guys that stand out in that senior bracket that still hold some currency and could be traded without leaving a leadership void. They are the ones we will look at in 2 years and say ‘why didn’t we trade them when they had value?’

But both hold strong ties to WA which makes a move difficult. A pick in the mid to late 20s for each seems reasonable. Or maybe pay some salary and send them to Freo as a package for pick 18? The added benefit of traded with Freo being that any picks they give up means they have less to offer for Warner leaving us in the box seat.

Rotham will be lucky to get on another list... Maybe band 4...

Keep things simple this year... Forget about Graham... Do not trade for Baker

Keep Barrass to his contract as we are not getting a top 10 pick... Way more value to us

If free agents(not Graham)... Robertson/Carroll want to come then try and accommodate.

Develop guys like dewar and Hutchinson...

Try and split pick 3 if anything

I'm telling ya, we should be training Ryan as our backline distributor/line breaker.
Pretty sure Jetta would have some amazing advice to pass off.

It'd keep him involved (as he can get lost up forward sometimes) as a major play maker.
He's a brilliant field kick and has great vision.

New role, so it would take some adjusting but I'm certain it'd work for him.

Oh...Apparently he's not a bad mark either. Some Howe like intercepts incoming.

That'd be one major problem solved.

The irony in all of this is that clubs didn't want to lose players as free agents for nothing /unders so offered longer contracts or timed contracts accordingly.

Now with the VFL and their secret herbs and spices absolutely corrupting free agency compensation, clubs get less from the trade table for contracted players, than free agency.

Absolute basket case. **** Andrew Dillon and Laura Kane. Useless twats

I suggested it on the Saints board earlier today and they were all keen.

They really want a mid and a KPP of some sort I believe, and it would secure us Travaglia plus hopefully one of the mids that slides if Tauru or something jumps up the rankings
There would need to be another upgrade coming our way.

There would need to be another upgrade coming our way.
As things currently stand, it'd probably be something like 3, 14 + 61 for 7, 8 + 45

Last edited:
What if we are just really keen on Graham and he wouldnt move across the country for anything less than 900k per year?

Who are the AFL to say that we dont think hes worth it?

Similar contract as Battle and Peatling just got offered.

Is there that much seperating those three?

None are elite players.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

People suggesting band 1 compo for Rotham.

Gordon Ramsey Idiot GIF
It's a joke about the AFL's secret herps and spices compo calculations.

Seriously though AFL - don't want to deal with the optics of WCE getting a PP, but still recognise they've been objectively worse than NM for 3 years since bottoming out? Band 1 compo for up-coming KPD Rotham is the solution...

Get around it :cool:

As things currently stand, it'd probably be something like 3, 14 + 59 for 7, 8 + 45

Do not like the 3 plus 14 for 7 and 8 talk at all.

14 likely gets you a similar quality player as 8 will.

3 gets you retain control at getting who you really value.

The late pick shuffle is minor value.

Massivelty undervaluing the drop between 3 and 7 IMO.

View attachment 2132448
Look at these idiots.

Even bypassing what a stupid trade that is for WCE they can’t even get the picks right.
Non-Vic clubs get fair value edition:

HAW
OUT: 13, F1
IN: Barrass, F3 (WCE)

WCE
OUT: Barrass, F2, F3
IN: Baker, 14, F1 (HAW)

CAR
OUT: 12, F1
IN: Houston, F3 (PA)

RIC
OUT: Baker
IN: F2 (WCE)

PA
OUT: Houston, F3
IN: 12, F1 (CAR)

Just depends how you rate Travaglia really
8 will get you a slightly better kid than 14, might not be a noticable skill difference but there will be other things like personality that affect it, and also a better fit with a bit of a variety of roles in that range.

Rotham will be lucky to get on another list... Maybe band 4...

Keep things simple this year... Forget about Graham... Do not trade for Baker

Keep Barrass to his contract as we are not getting a top 10 pick... Way more value to us

If free agents(not Graham)... Robertson/Carroll want to come then try and accommodate.

Develop guys like dewar and Hutchinson...

Try and split pick 3 if anything
So don't change anything!! Been doing that for 3 yrs. No thanks.

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

Either hes staying or the clubs are working on some dodgy FA compo scam and need to know what they can get away with, so they know what to pay him

They are running numbers past the AFL and seeing what will be given the ok.

Did wonder if the Rotham free agency deal may be complicating this one but then couldnt see how it could.

Eagles effectively gain Graham and lose Rotham, net zero effect on the draft.

Unless the Eagles say trade the Hawks F1st and our 4th and Eagles get Baker, Graham and say pick 29.

Rotham goes as a FA and Eagles get pick 42.

Richmond will be chasing future picks.

In a normal year, sure. This year however, from discussions on this board, I get the impression that the drop from 3 to 7 would be less than that from 8 to 14. The big risk I see is going from our pick of the mids and someone in the Lindsay/Berry range to the last of the top tier mids + Travaglia. Personally, I'd love to find a way to turn 14 into 6 or 7 instead but I concede that would be very difficult to do.

Saints have a big whinge and are stuck in mediocrity so the AFL decided to gift them pick 8. Now they have to give everyone else band 1 or 2 that are comparable.
Amateur hour. Should be no compo picks before end of round 2. First two rounds should be protected. Draft is meant to be an equalisation method but it's broken at this point.

I liked someone else’s suggestion of getting to prelist one academy/FS player a year and the rest are free game. If teams want more then one of their academy prospects then DRAFT them.
Protect the first two rounds of the draft from academy and compo picks.

How about no Compo but the team getting the player has to give up fair picks/players with an independent person helping to determine what is fair?

Then it isn't pushing the draft order down snd the strong/big club isn't getting stronger at no cost (besides salary paid).

Just depends how you rate Travaglia really
8 will get you a slightly better kid than 14, might not be a noticable skill difference but there will be other things like personality that affect it, and also a better fit with a bit of a variety of roles in that range.
It’s not pick 14 it will be pick 16/17 on draft night and there will definitely be better talent at pick 8.

Pick 3 small gap then pick 7

Pick 8 reasonable gap to pick 17.

It’s why it would be a fair deal however i find it hard to see why the Saints would trade two top 10 picks out in a draft like this. They probably get a good mid and also the pick of the talls or TT.

They are running numbers past the AFL and seeing what will be given the ok.

Did wonder if the Rotham free agency deal may be complicating this one but then couldnt see how it could.

Eagles effectively gain Graham and lose Rotham, net zero effect on the draft.

Unless the Eagles say trade the Hawks F1st and our 4th and Eagles get Baker, Graham and say pick 29.

Rotham goes as a FA and Eagles get pick 42.

Richmond will be chasing future picks.
If some compo scam was being worked out, we should just delist Rotham asap and let a club sign him as a DFA if they want him.

Cant see Richmond doing that trade there, they would be trading Graham for effectively our f4. Theyd get more via FA compo

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back