List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links:
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

• Zane Trew, Jamaine Jones and Jordyn Baker delisted

• List Manager Matt Clarke appeared on Sept 11 Gettable - Click spoiler below for summary
    On the draft: "We predicted that the draft was strong, but it's probably gotten stronger during the year."

On top end of draft: "You could probably make five or six different choices and get it right."

On Pick 3: "I reckon there's five (players) around that mark."

On splitting: "I think you want to hold an early selection if you can. The depth of this group allows you to maybe have some movement there, and see what you can do to bring in more talent in the first 20-25 picks. Easier said than done, and I think most clubs would be saying the same thing. We'll see what we can do."

On Liam Baker: "He's still yet to make a decision. They're still weighing up a few things. We'd love to get Liam on board from what he offers from a talent and leadership point of view. We understand where we're at as a group, we're rebuilding our group, we need to add some guys in the middle tier to support our young group."

On Jack Graham: "We've got a number of players that we're speaking to. A bit of a wait and see on that one as well. We'll talk to a number of guys."

On Shai Bolton: "I think it will be difficult for anybody, really. He's heavily contracted and a high quality player."

On James Peatling: "He's heavily involved in a finals series at the moment so I don't want to comment too much on it, but I think there's a number of guys that have been playing really good footy this year that could suit what we do and what other clubs do. He's taken his footy to another level this year."

On Tom Barrass: "We've had an early discussion with Hawthorn about it, they understand where we're at. He's nominated Hawthorn as his ideal destination. We want what we think he's worth, as a genuine key back in the competition that can do what he can do. We're obviously mindful of getting an appropriate deal for West Coast."

On Tom Clurey: "Maybe (note: sounded very non enthused). We'd probably need some key back depth, whether that's through the draft or trade and free agency."

On Jack Darling: "We've had initial discussions with his management group about (moving). We're open to talking, as we are with all of our players, but Jack's contracted with us."

On Liam Ryan: "I expect him to be at West Coast next year, yes." (The most definitive answer of the day by a mile, a non-starter of a talking point.)

On out of contact players e.g. Rotham, Witherden, Jones: "We're still working through what it looks like from a list point of view, and how many selections we'll want to have, and players that may come in and potentially may go out. You might want to give a coach an opportunity to look at these guys."

On Harley Reid: "We've had discussions most of the year with his management group. I think it sits in a really good place. We're open to doing really whatever they want to do to be honest. We're really confident in building the right system around Harley, on and off field, to make sure that he's really comfortable, that he's going to play his best footy, and his long term future."

On Jake Waterman's new deal: "Yep, really close. We're working really closely with his management on that. I expect that we'll have something done pretty soon."

On Oscar Allen: "We've been talking with Oscar and his manager most of the year on that one. We're going through some stuff at the moment. I think we'll be ok with that one."

Past rumoured targets:

Last edited by a moderator:
It’s not pick 14 it will be pick 16/17 on draft night and there will definitely be better talent at pick 8.

Pick 3 small gap then pick 7

Pick 8 reasonable gap to pick 17.

It’s why it would be a fair deal however i find it hard to see why the Saints would trade two top 10 picks out in a draft like this. They probably get a good mid and also the pick of the talls or TT.
Its been made very clear that the Saints want mids, they havent kept it a secret. 17 would get them a tall of some sort, 7+8 may not get them the mid they want, they get earlier choice of the talls but there are plenty of talls all in the similar range.

If I was the saints I do the trade, then take a mid at 3, and talls at 17 and their 2nd rounder

It’s not pick 14 it will be pick 16/17 on draft night and there will definitely be better talent at pick 8.

It’s why it would be a fair deal however i find it hard to see why the Saints would trade two top 10 picks out in a draft like this. They probably get a good mid and also the pick of the talls or TT.
If you’re gonna bump out 14 to 17, then you should probably acknowledge that 3 is likely 4, 7 is likely 8, 8 is 9 etc.

If some compo scam was being worked out, we should just delist Rotham asap and let a club sign him as a DFA if they want him.

Cant see Richmond doing that trade there, they would be trading Graham for effectively our f4. Theyd get more via FA compo

How would delisting Rotham help us in any way other than freeing up a list spot?

Pick 8 cant get you any of those academy kids so the fall from 14 to pick 17 doesnt really matter.

Pick 8 cant get you any of those academy kids so the fall from 14 to pick 17 doesnt really matter.
It matters because the talent at pick 8 or 9 will be better than where the Hawks pick lands. There are absolutely tiers in this group and one of the big drop offs is going to be around that Hawks pick.

So don't change anything!! Been doing that for 3 yrs. No thanks.

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app
Trading in spuds for the sake of trading is a shit move long term...

And letting go of jets for crap value is another shit move...

Our avenues have been decimated this year by corrupt AFL compo picks

Should reevaluate in 12months

I love trading... But we seem to be getting reamed in scenarios

Saints have a big whinge and are stuck in mediocrity so the AFL decided to gift them pick 8. Now they have to give everyone else band 1 or 2 that are comparable.
Amateur hour. Should be no compo picks before end of round 2. First two rounds should be protected. Draft is meant to be an equalisation method but it's broken at this point.

I liked someone else’s suggestion of getting to prelist one academy/FS player a year and the rest are free game. If teams want more then one of their academy prospects then DRAFT them.
Protect the first two rounds of the draft from academy and compo picks.

Some truly elite incompetence from St Kilda over the years.

This is their draft history of picks inside the top 10 since 2010:

StKilda-Drafting.png

That's a heck of a team they could have built.

The above record suggests they'll probably spud this year's charity pick as well.

Just depends how you rate Travaglia really
8 will get you a slightly better kid than 14, might not be a noticable skill difference but there will be other things like personality that affect it, and also a better fit with a bit of a variety of roles in that range.

Agree Travagalia is the key there. He wont be there at live pick 14.

If we wanted a mid AND Travagalia it makes sense.

And I am a fan of drafting TT and a mid.

Agree Travagalia is the key there. He wont be there at live pick 14.

If we wanted a mid AND Travagalia it makes sense.

And I am a fan of drafting TT and a mid.
The only way we get a top end mid and Tobie is trading 3 + ? for 7 + 8 with the Saints.

The question is what is the ?

Pick 14 is borderline. Saints/Ross are very keen on Reid/Smillie and Travaglia. If Oliver is likely to be there at their pick 27 then they may be inclined to trade to take their choice of mid, a tall then still get a rebounding defender but aside from his kicking Oliver is a big step down from Travaglia. Will that in their view be offset by getting a Whitlock instead of an O’Farrell or Barrat?

If we aren't going to use pick 3 in any player trade, be that Warner or Baker, then it's much better for us to hold onto it until draft night. Teams may offer overs for it depending on who's available and we would have a better understanding on where the players are ranked and where they might be going.

If we aren't going to use pick 3 in any player trade, be that Warner or Baker, then it's much better for us to hold onto it until draft night. Teams may offer overs for it depending on who's available and we would have a better understanding on where the players are ranked and where they might be going.

So would we here prefer a split pre draft?

Or on draft night?

Scared Kermit The Frog GIF

Nervous Ted Striker GIF by filmeditor

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Or on draft night?

I wouldn't split pre draft. At pick 3 I would take FOS or Lalor and if they are both gone I would be open to trading down and getting an extra pick somewhere and taking Trav or Draper around 6/7 and Lindsey at 14 if we have it.

Or on draft night?

A split makes sense but it’s too late to make one that we’d actually want, unless a club is desperate for one of Smith, FOS or Langford. Most of the other recruiters would already be onto the fact that 7+8 beats 3 by a fair margin

Would be closer to the Ginbey/Hewett split which isn’t really worth it at all. We’d end up with TT and Allen and miss all the top end mids.

Some truly elite incompetence from St Kilda over the years.

This is their draft history of picks inside the top 10 since 2010:

That's a heck of a team they could have built.

The above record suggests they'll probably spud this year's charity pick as well.

Wow thats a depressing read for their supporters.

Talk about asleep at the wheel.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back