List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links:
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

• Zane Trew, Jamaine Jones and Jordyn Baker delisted

• List Manager Matt Clarke appeared on Sept 11 Gettable - Click spoiler below for summary
    On the draft: "We predicted that the draft was strong, but it's probably gotten stronger during the year."

On top end of draft: "You could probably make five or six different choices and get it right."

On Pick 3: "I reckon there's five (players) around that mark."

On splitting: "I think you want to hold an early selection if you can. The depth of this group allows you to maybe have some movement there, and see what you can do to bring in more talent in the first 20-25 picks. Easier said than done, and I think most clubs would be saying the same thing. We'll see what we can do."

On Liam Baker: "He's still yet to make a decision. They're still weighing up a few things. We'd love to get Liam on board from what he offers from a talent and leadership point of view. We understand where we're at as a group, we're rebuilding our group, we need to add some guys in the middle tier to support our young group."

On Jack Graham: "We've got a number of players that we're speaking to. A bit of a wait and see on that one as well. We'll talk to a number of guys."

On Shai Bolton: "I think it will be difficult for anybody, really. He's heavily contracted and a high quality player."

On James Peatling: "He's heavily involved in a finals series at the moment so I don't want to comment too much on it, but I think there's a number of guys that have been playing really good footy this year that could suit what we do and what other clubs do. He's taken his footy to another level this year."

On Tom Barrass: "We've had an early discussion with Hawthorn about it, they understand where we're at. He's nominated Hawthorn as his ideal destination. We want what we think he's worth, as a genuine key back in the competition that can do what he can do. We're obviously mindful of getting an appropriate deal for West Coast."

On Tom Clurey: "Maybe (note: sounded very non enthused). We'd probably need some key back depth, whether that's through the draft or trade and free agency."

On Jack Darling: "We've had initial discussions with his management group about (moving). We're open to talking, as we are with all of our players, but Jack's contracted with us."

On Liam Ryan: "I expect him to be at West Coast next year, yes." (The most definitive answer of the day by a mile, a non-starter of a talking point.)

On out of contact players e.g. Rotham, Witherden, Jones: "We're still working through what it looks like from a list point of view, and how many selections we'll want to have, and players that may come in and potentially may go out. You might want to give a coach an opportunity to look at these guys."

On Harley Reid: "We've had discussions most of the year with his management group. I think it sits in a really good place. We're open to doing really whatever they want to do to be honest. We're really confident in building the right system around Harley, on and off field, to make sure that he's really comfortable, that he's going to play his best footy, and his long term future."

On Jake Waterman's new deal: "Yep, really close. We're working really closely with his management on that. I expect that we'll have something done pretty soon."

On Oscar Allen: "We've been talking with Oscar and his manager most of the year on that one. We're going through some stuff at the moment. I think we'll be ok with that one."

Past rumoured targets:

Last edited by a moderator:
Lets speculate. Most Brownlow votes - HR. Build a team around HR? Then, don't keep trading down the draft as HR needs real quality around him. All the Ginbeys under the sun will not get it done.
I guess the thought process is they can get who they want at 3 with 6? And Baker on top. Everyone’s draft board will be different.

Lets speculate. Most Brownlow votes - HR. Build a team around HR? Then, don't keep trading down the draft as HR needs real quality around him. All the Ginbeys under the sun will not get it done.
Look to Geelong and Collingwood as ways to build a squad. A couple of stars and a bunch of B graders. Dont need a heap of top 4 picks to make it happen, dont need a 22 like Carlton thats so top heavy

Do hate how the Baker trade has turned into a “marquee” sort of trade, purely through the media, when it’s far from..

If this was an uncontracted Duggan going back to Richmond (pretty much an identical comparison imo), it’d get done quietly and without fuss for a middling second or F2.

Absolutely ridiculous that we’re talking first round picks and/or splitting pick 3 to get enough draft assets and Baker.

Happy to go to the draft with what we have (post Barrass trade).

Do hate how the Baker trade has turned into a “marquee” sort of trade, purely through the media, when it’s far from..

If this was an uncontracted Duggan going back to Richmond (pretty much an identical comparison imo), it’d get done quietly and without fuss for a middling second or F2.

Absolutely ridiculous that we’re talking first round picks and/or splitting pick 3 to get enough draft assets and Baker.

Happy to go to the draft with what we have (post Barrass trade).
Did lol at a headline I saw that was something like: “How do the Eagles get their man? We unpack the potential trade” like we’re trading for a superstar mid or something

Barass + f2 to Hawks for 14 + F1
14 + hawks F1 to Gold Coast 6
3 to Adel for 4 + F2

No one loses here. Westcoast go to the draft with 4,6,26,61(darling),62. Guarantee one of lalor, fos, langford or smillie and Travaglia. Getting the f2 back from Adelaide means we don't hurt next year's draft getting Hawks f1 and missing draper isn't the end of the world

Let GC pay pick 13 for rioli not 6, 6 is our baby. Baker deal can be done in the last 5 minutes of the trade period- pick 26 and we chuck in a fringe player or they can have a crack with freo

On SM-A155F using BigFooty.com mobile app

We lose!!!

Barrass and f2 for 6. No.

Barras for 6 was what was likely touted half way through the year as the likely trade when Hawks had pick 6. Now you want to give away a F2nd as well.

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

If WC are in to Draper then trading back makes sense. I don't think he's in the top 8 mix tbh. The people who rate him the most highly are seemingly WC and the West Coast bigfooty folk
Crows will take him at 4. No way they pass up a local talent for the sake of a couple picks.

Crows will take him at 4. No way they pass up a local talent for the sake of a couple picks.

If they see him as a decent drop back from Langford/Jagga/FOS who would be there at their pick then why wouldnt they pass on him?
I think its a bit of the old "WA teams take local talent" thing coming through, they dont have to take the local kid

If they see him as a decent drop back from Langford/Jagga/FOS who would be there at their pick then why wouldnt they pass on him?
I think its a bit of the old "WA teams take local talent" thing coming through, they dont have to take the local kid

Adelaide need a big bodied goal kicking mid more than Draper but in saying that, I could only see them passing on him for Lalor and he’ll be gone by then you’d think. Drums are starting to beat that he might go #1.

Adelaide have taken only 1 SA talent inside the top 10 in that last 15 years - Thilthorpe.

If WC are in to Draper then trading back makes sense. I don't think he's in the top 8 mix tbh. The people who rate him the most highly are seemingly WC and the West Coast bigfooty folk
FOS
Lalor
Jagga
Langford
Smillie
Draper

All midfielders so I’d be happy with whoever’s left over at Pick 6 if that’s where we end up. Even if we “reach” a tiny bit and go TT or Tauru there I’d be equally as happy.

I suggested it on the Saints board earlier today and they were all keen.

They really want a mid and a KPP of some sort I believe, and it would secure us Travaglia plus hopefully one of the mids that slides if Tauru or something jumps up the rankings
For Saints, M Reid is perfect for them at 3 and at 14 they have choice of many KPP

Meanwhile we get TT and Berry or a slider from the top 6

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nah come on, the most enjoyment we might be getting out of this period is the customary period of melting.

Regarding which, as I said, the gallery of target characters is looking a bit thin. BOND 007 you know what M.Clarke's pastry of choice is?
Not sure Mr Clarke is a pastry/pie eater. Pretty partial to the odd carrot stick and pistachio if that helps

Barass + f2 to Hawks for 14 + F1
14 + hawks F1 to Gold Coast 6
3 to Adel for 4 + F2

No one loses here. Westcoast go to the draft with 4,6,26,61(darling),62. Guarantee one of lalor, fos, langford or smillie and Travaglia. Getting the f2 back from Adelaide means we don't hurt next year's draft getting Hawks f1 and missing draper isn't the end of the world

Let GC pay pick 13 for rioli not 6, 6 is our baby. Baker deal can be done in the last 5 minutes of the trade period- pick 26 and we chuck in a fringe player or they can have a crack with freo

On SM-A155F using BigFooty.com mobile app
We lose!!!

Barrass and f2 for 6. No.

Barras for 6 was what was likely touted half way through the year as the likely trade when Hawks had pick 6. Now you want to give away a F2nd as well.

There's a pick missing from the GC trade but if we could get away with Barrass, 25 + F3 for 14, 32 + F1 (downgrade our F2 for F3 and swap seconds this year) then we could offer something like the Hawks' F1 + our F2 for 6 straight up, which would leave us with 3, 6, 14, 32, 61 plus whatever we get for Darling this year, and our F1 + F4 next year with the potential to get Adelaide's F2 per mat11's trade suggestion. None of this factors in Baker but there would be some flexibility with 3, 6 + 14 in hand.

Adelaide need a big bodied goal kicking mid more than Draper but in saying that, I could only see them passing on him for Lalor and he’ll be gone by then you’d think. Drums are starting to beat that he might go #1.
They think they have the big bodied mid in Curtin. They are putting his development as a midfielder.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back