List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links:
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

• Zane Trew, Jamaine Jones and Jordyn Baker delisted

• List Manager Matt Clarke appeared on Sept 11 Gettable - Click spoiler below for summary
    On the draft: "We predicted that the draft was strong, but it's probably gotten stronger during the year."

On top end of draft: "You could probably make five or six different choices and get it right."

On Pick 3: "I reckon there's five (players) around that mark."

On splitting: "I think you want to hold an early selection if you can. The depth of this group allows you to maybe have some movement there, and see what you can do to bring in more talent in the first 20-25 picks. Easier said than done, and I think most clubs would be saying the same thing. We'll see what we can do."

On Liam Baker: "He's still yet to make a decision. They're still weighing up a few things. We'd love to get Liam on board from what he offers from a talent and leadership point of view. We understand where we're at as a group, we're rebuilding our group, we need to add some guys in the middle tier to support our young group."

On Jack Graham: "We've got a number of players that we're speaking to. A bit of a wait and see on that one as well. We'll talk to a number of guys."

On Shai Bolton: "I think it will be difficult for anybody, really. He's heavily contracted and a high quality player."

On James Peatling: "He's heavily involved in a finals series at the moment so I don't want to comment too much on it, but I think there's a number of guys that have been playing really good footy this year that could suit what we do and what other clubs do. He's taken his footy to another level this year."

On Tom Barrass: "We've had an early discussion with Hawthorn about it, they understand where we're at. He's nominated Hawthorn as his ideal destination. We want what we think he's worth, as a genuine key back in the competition that can do what he can do. We're obviously mindful of getting an appropriate deal for West Coast."

On Tom Clurey: "Maybe (note: sounded very non enthused). We'd probably need some key back depth, whether that's through the draft or trade and free agency."

On Jack Darling: "We've had initial discussions with his management group about (moving). We're open to talking, as we are with all of our players, but Jack's contracted with us."

On Liam Ryan: "I expect him to be at West Coast next year, yes." (The most definitive answer of the day by a mile, a non-starter of a talking point.)

On out of contact players e.g. Rotham, Witherden, Jones: "We're still working through what it looks like from a list point of view, and how many selections we'll want to have, and players that may come in and potentially may go out. You might want to give a coach an opportunity to look at these guys."

On Harley Reid: "We've had discussions most of the year with his management group. I think it sits in a really good place. We're open to doing really whatever they want to do to be honest. We're really confident in building the right system around Harley, on and off field, to make sure that he's really comfortable, that he's going to play his best footy, and his long term future."

On Jake Waterman's new deal: "Yep, really close. We're working really closely with his management on that. I expect that we'll have something done pretty soon."

On Oscar Allen: "We've been talking with Oscar and his manager most of the year on that one. We're going through some stuff at the moment. I think we'll be ok with that one."

Past rumoured targets:

Last edited by a moderator:
Rotham will be lucky to get on another list... Maybe band 4...

Keep things simple this year... Forget about Graham... Do not trade for Baker

Keep Barrass to his contract as we are not getting a top 10 pick... Way more value to us

If free agents(not Graham)... Robertson/Carroll want to come then try and accommodate.

Develop guys like dewar and Hutchinson...

Try and split pick 3 if anything
No..... Pick 14 + whatever extra from the Hawks is of greater value to us long term than Barrass is by a country mile and then some. We sat on our hands with both Darling and Gaff when there were at least 3 1st rounders coming our way for them, we sat on our hands last year with Barrass when there were 2 first rounders looking likely ......... and you suggest we do it again?

Optimism as a Catalyst for Connection: Trust fosters relationships and collaboration. By assuming positive intentions, we create an environment where open communication and mutual support can thrive. This aligns with the philosophical view of humanism, which posits that people are inherently good and capable of growth.

Seriously though, I've not been given a reason not trust them and disbelieve what they're saying.

I'm also a believer in the Ancient Alien theory, which makes a hell of a lot more sense than an omnipotent deity.
"Optimism is the light in one's heart and mind that brings joy and purpose into our lives. But without having the courage of your convictions, principles, ethics, tolerance, compassion and love for others this light will only flicker and eventually fade."

Well...It was a reprieve, albeit very short one on the whole Baker for pick 13 (14) shit that's been going on for the last 300 pages, I suppose.

* This is also what happens when I DON'T drink :drunk:
3 weeks ago my Dad 84 stopped drinking for 3 weeks, because he got the flu and then pneumonia, after that he spent 3 days in hospital with an erratic heart rate, then went into cardiac arrest, after that his heart went back to normal.
Now I’m no Dr🤣, but it was very clear to me that stopping the beer intake was the clear culprit for the heart problems, I drove him home and gave him a beer and he’s been great ever since.
I rest my case.

No..... Pick 14 + whatever extra from the Hawks is of greater value to us long term than Barrass is by a country mile and then some. We sat on our hands with both Darling and Gaff when there were at least 3 1st rounders coming our way for them, we sat on our hands last year with Barrass when there were 2 first rounders looking likely ......... and you suggest we do it again?
Perryman, m ling, hately, bergman, Chesser, Hewett, J Rogers.

The last few pick 14s

And we have an absolute gun key back for the next 3 years... If we were to trade..Ask suitors to come up with a pick between 5 and 8.

We can always trade him next year... For pick 14

Otherwise he can be part of our rebuild...

3 weeks ago my Dad 84 stopped drinking for 3 weeks, because he got the flu and then pneumonia, after that he spent 3 days in hospital with an erratic heart rate, then went into cardiac arrest, after that his heart went back to normal.
Now I’m no Dr🤣, but it was very clear to me that stopping the beer intake was the clear culprit for the heart problems, I drove him home and gave him a beer and he’s been great ever since.
I rest my case.
I think Ardent makes a strong case for not giving up alcohol haha

Should we have waited until later in Trade week, which hasn't started yet, until we told the rest of the world we were looking to put Pick 3 on the table? Let all the other trades drop first to see the lay of the land so to speak so we can see exactly what may be on the table. It seems we have opened ourselves up to taking the first mediocre trade whilst also losing our bargaining position of having pick 3 in the first place. Adelaide will look at it as us handing them Draper on a platter. So far I'm not enthused by what I'm seeing. I was hoping we'd be a bit more hard-nosed this year.

Perryman, m ling, hately, bergman, Chesser, Hewett, J Rogers.

The last few pick 14s

And we have an absolute gun key back for the next 3 years... If we were to trade..Ask suitors to come up with a pick between 5 and 8.

We can always trade him next year... For pick 14

Otherwise he can be part of our rebuild...
Whats your point? Buddy was pick 19, Lachie Neil was in the 50s, Tom Barrass was 43 and the list goes on... .... every year we wait the value drops, this is a deep draft and we need to secure as many picks as we possibly can inside the top 20. There is no real value in keeping him, in fact it is utter madness not to trade him now, especially with Tassie coming in a couple of years which will further drain the draft pool available

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Should we have waited until later in Trade week, which hasn't started yet, until we told the rest of the world we were looking to put Pick 3 on the table? Let all the other trades drop first to see the lay of the land so to speak so we can see exactly what may be on the table. It seems we have opened ourselves up to taking the first mediocre trade whilst also losing our bargaining position of having pick 3 in the first place. Adelaide will look at it as us handing them Draper on a platter. So far I'm not enthused by what I'm seeing. I was hoping we'd be a bit more hard-nosed this year.
I'm sure we're not saying we're definitely trading it no matter what, but putting it out there will create competition, and if we don't like any proposals fine, we lose nothing

I think we’re going to leave trade period very, very dissatisfied.

I'm sure we're not saying we're definitely trading it no matter what, but putting it out there will create competition, and if we don't like any proposals fine, we lose nothing
The point is we don't know where all the cards fall yet. We are creating competition for picks that haven't fallen yet. We don't know what picks Richmond hold until after they finish trading Rioli, Bolton and get compo for Graham if he comes. North want future picks, GWS have reasonable picks St Kilda could get better picks. It's like buying the demo model at the car dealership when all they've added is mudflaps and floor mats when the new model comes fully equipped with 21 inch wheels and a 15 speaker sound system as standard or going to a job interview and they ask you how much you'd like to be paid and after they agree they tell you they would have paid more as you're such an outstanding candidate. Just should've kept our powder dry until at least mid trade period.

The point is we don't know where all the cards fall yet. We are creating competition for picks that haven't fallen yet. We don't know what picks Richmond hold until after they finish trading Rioli, Bolton and get compo for Graham if he comes. North want future picks, GWS have reasonable picks St Kilda could get better picks. It's like buying the demo model at the car dealership when all they've added is mudflaps and floor mats when the new model comes fully equipped with 21 inch wheels and a 15 speaker sound system as standard or going to a job interview and they ask you how much you'd like to be paid and after they agree they tell you they would have paid more as you're such an outstanding candidate. Just should've kept our powder dry until at least mid trade period.
We can just wait, we've got a week and half of offers to listen to, if we don't like any, no deal

Our compo if Gaff went to NM was 18 BTW - may have been worthwhile in hindsight, but am also OK with backing him in.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back