List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links

Latest news and rumours

Done deals:

• Zane Trew, Jamaine Jones and Jordyn Baker delisted

Ongoing discussions:

• List Manager Matt Clarke appeared on Sept 11 Gettable - Click spoiler below for summary
    On the draft: "We predicted that the draft was strong, but it's probably gotten stronger during the year."

On top end of draft: "You could probably make five or six different choices and get it right."

On Pick 3: "I reckon there's five (players) around that mark."

On splitting: "I think you want to hold an early selection if you can. The depth of this group allows you to maybe have some movement there, and see what you can do to bring in more talent in the first 20-25 picks. Easier said than done, and I think most clubs would be saying the same thing. We'll see what we can do."

On Liam Baker: "He's still yet to make a decision. They're still weighing up a few things. We'd love to get Liam on board from what he offers from a talent and leadership point of view. We understand where we're at as a group, we're rebuilding our group, we need to add some guys in the middle tier to support our young group."

On Jack Graham: "We've got a number of players that we're speaking to. A bit of a wait and see on that one as well. We'll talk to a number of guys."

On Shai Bolton: "I think it will be difficult for anybody, really. He's heavily contracted and a high quality player."

On James Peatling: "He's heavily involved in a finals series at the moment so I don't want to comment too much on it, but I think there's a number of guys that have been playing really good footy this year that could suit what we do and what other clubs do. He's taken his footy to another level this year."

On Tom Barrass: "We've had an early discussion with Hawthorn about it, they understand where we're at. He's nominated Hawthorn as his ideal destination. We want what we think he's worth, as a genuine key back in the competition that can do what he can do. We're obviously mindful of getting an appropriate deal for West Coast."

On Tom Clurey: "Maybe (note: sounded very non enthused). We'd probably need some key back depth, whether that's through the draft or trade and free agency."

On Jack Darling: "We've had initial discussions with his management group about (moving). We're open to talking, as we are with all of our players, but Jack's contracted with us."

On Liam Ryan: "I expect him to be at West Coast next year, yes." (The most definitive answer of the day by a mile, a non-starter of a talking point.)

On out of contact players e.g. Rotham, Witherden, Jones: "We're still working through what it looks like from a list point of view, and how many selections we'll want to have, and players that may come in and potentially may go out. You might want to give a coach an opportunity to look at these guys."

On Harley Reid: "We've had discussions most of the year with his management group. I think it sits in a really good place. We're open to doing really whatever they want to do to be honest. We're really confident in building the right system around Harley, on and off field, to make sure that he's really comfortable, that he's going to play his best footy, and his long term future."

On Jake Waterman's new deal: "Yep, really close. We're working really closely with his management on that. I expect that we'll have something done pretty soon."

On Oscar Allen: "We've been talking with Oscar and his manager most of the year on that one. We're going through some stuff at the moment. I think we'll be ok with that one."

Past rumoured targets:

Last edited by a moderator:
This talk of splitting 3 is giving me heart palpitations. Don’t you dare do it.

Just take the best midfield option available at 3
The first 6 or so is pretty even, presuming pick 6 is what we'd end up with. No real standout, other than maybe Lalor making a late run for pick 1.

3 for 6 and 10 is pipe dream stuff in an even draft. We literally got 9 and 12 for splitting 2 in 2022, a draft which wasn’t as good.
I completely agree however if Richmond were to get pick 2 for free, we would be well within our rights to include that value in any trade seeing as we would be using our cap space for Jack Graham while they get the benefit (even if the AFL frowned upon it).

I come in peace and respect-ta-pa....

Baker-Gun. You dont realise what you are getting. Team/Culture builder. Yes he had a down year this year but he could be your next captain. Cleanest player you will even see below his knees. Freakish really. Just play him off HBF for F sake. He isnt a mid or forward

JG.....Honestly.....dud...thanks for taking him off our books.
please explain, why is he a dud?

The first 6 or so is pretty even, presuming pick 6 is what we'd end up with. No real standout, other than maybe Lalor making a late run for pick 1.

Agree - I think there’s a great chance we’d be able to take a FOS, Draper or possibly Langford at 6 and then add another top quality player if we split. I like that over knowing for sure we get our preferred selection at 3. There’s not a lot in it for that range. I like it this year

I hear what you are saying and respond by saying. Congratulations you’ve got pick 6 where you can pick the player 5 other clubs have passed over in favour of what they judge as better options. You better hope they made mistakes

Agree - I think there’s a great chance we’d be able to take a FOS, Draper or possibly Langford at 6 and then add another top quality player if we split. I like that over knowing for sure we get our preferred selection at 3. I like it this year
If we can still pick from that lot and get an extra first rounder in, I'd be more than happy.

I hear what you are saying and respond by saying. Congratulations you’ve got pick 6 where you can pick the player 5 other clubs have passed over in favour of what they judge as better options. You better hope they made mistakes
Well, tell me who's projected to go 1-6 then, considering many recruiters have been reported to say you could almost throw a blanket over the top 10?

I think if you project the first five 10 different times and look at who would still be available to pick in each scenario at 6 you’d be delighted. Unless we see a pick 3 as really far ahead and we can’t live without that particular player - it seems more logical that doing it will be of greater benefit for our list profile

Different clubs have different needs as to what they need draft wise. Just because a player makes it to a later pick, doesn't necessarily make them worse than those who went before them, especially in the top 10 picks. It just means that the clubs before might not have had the needs for that player.

I think if you project the first five 10 different times and look at who would still be available to pick in each scenario at 6 you’d be delighted. Unless we see a pick 3 as really far ahead and we can’t live without it seems more logical that doing it will be of greater benefit for our list profile
The Ginbey proposition

I don't get it, if he's that dumb why do we want him - besides none of the things you mentioned about him, have anything to do with his football skills? Why was WCE showing interest in him, his highlight reel was dismal...if he turned out to be a Redden, we'd be hell lucky!

Daresay it's just naive and/or thinking he's doing the right thing, rather than blind idiocy. Stayed because he thought he owed Brisbane and backed himself to get into that team.

Dumb in hindsight and it looked foolish to any neutral observer, but you can see his reasoning.

As for lack of highlights, not all players can be Harley. Just because Brisbane FC is shit, have 12 supporters and a lame social media team, doesn't mean they don't exist.

Our POTY Alesana would be able to make him seem like Judd if he was the one doing the highlights packages.

Dev doesn't play a sexy role, but he'd still be an important cog, like Redden was. It's a throwaway pick, Jesus.

Some fellas acting like we'd be giving up pick 3 for him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I come in peace and respect-ta-pa....

Baker-Gun. You dont realise what you are getting. Team/Culture builder. Yes he had a down year this year but he could be your next captain. Cleanest player you will even see below his knees. Freakish really. Just play him off HBF for F sake. He isnt a mid or forward

JG.....Honestly.....dud...thanks for taking him off our books.
Did you listed to Bakers B&F speech? He is not captain material

Thinking about the 26 for Dev idea for a moment, we could possibly ask for Brisbane's F1 to make it work. 26 + F3 for Robertson + F1. Values Dev at the Darling pick and gives Brisbane points this year. Would work well with Get_The_Gaff's idea above, leaving us with four picks inside 24 this year and three firsts next year.
#26 for Dev should be laughed out of the room. Should not be considered for a minute.

The guy is delist material for Brisbane.

#26 for Dev should be laughed out of the room. Should not be considered for a minute.

The guy is delist material for Brisbane.
Read the rest of the post

Well, tell me who's projected to go 1-6 then, considering many recruiters have been reported to say you could almost throw a blanket over the top 10?
You can say they are all relatively equal, but the reality is that they won’t be, and beyond that each will have different strengths and weaknesses.

If you don’t care about getting the best for your team that’s fine, but then you get the leftovers.

3 for 6 and 10 is pipe dream stuff in an even draft. We literally got 9 and 12 for splitting 2 in 2022, a draft which wasn’t as good.

Presentism at it's finest. Pick 1 in 2024 is comparable to pick 5 in the 2021 draft as far as top end quality goes.

You can say they are all relatively equal, but the reality is that they won’t be, and beyond that each will have different strengths and weaknesses.

If you don’t care about getting the best for your team that’s fine, but then you get the leftovers.
Yes, pick 6 could end up being the best player, for starters.

There's no clear #1, let alone top 5. This is why clubs are trying to get multiple first rounders.

Daresay it's just naive and/or thinking he's doing the right thing, rather than blind idiocy. Stayed because he thought he owed Brisbane and backed himself to get into that team.

Dumb in hindsight and it looked foolish to any neutral observer, but you can see his reasoning.

As for lack of highlights, not all players can be Harley. Just because Brisbane FC is shit, have 12 supporters and a lame social media team, doesn't mean they don't exist.

Our POTY Alesana would be able to make him seem like Judd if he was the one doing the highlights packages.

Dev doesn't play a sexy role, but he'd still be an important cog, like Redden was. It's a throwaway pick, Jesus.

Some fellas acting like we'd be giving up pick 3 for him.
All good, wasn't up to speed on what pick he was? Wasn't expecting a Harley by any stretch of the imagination, but if he's going for a bag of chips, we need midfield depth at worst...if he peaks at being as good as Redden, a great win!
And Mr. Sharks when you say 'Dev doesn't play a sexy role', just wait till he gets his jersey ripped off again and exposes that ripped rig, the internet melts down!

Answer the question, Dingus.

Not true - if you asked each club to project their pick 3 this year I guarantee there is a fair few different selections offered. It’s even early on, so not a clear standout. Might as well take two of those in a rebuild and a draft where inexplicably we don’t have a huge cache of picks to use. There no guarantees even at pick 3 - and it could legitimately be the same player we are talking about we get at 6 anyway - such is the evenness over that range. Unless we think there is a Harley Reid in the haystack we can nab at 3, I believe we should take two

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back