List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links

Latest news and rumours

Done deals:

• Zane Trew, Jamaine Jones and Jordyn Baker delisted

Ongoing discussions:

• List Manager Matt Clarke appeared on Sept 11 Gettable - Click spoiler below for summary
    On the draft: "We predicted that the draft was strong, but it's probably gotten stronger during the year."

On top end of draft: "You could probably make five or six different choices and get it right."

On Pick 3: "I reckon there's five (players) around that mark."

On splitting: "I think you want to hold an early selection if you can. The depth of this group allows you to maybe have some movement there, and see what you can do to bring in more talent in the first 20-25 picks. Easier said than done, and I think most clubs would be saying the same thing. We'll see what we can do."

On Liam Baker: "He's still yet to make a decision. They're still weighing up a few things. We'd love to get Liam on board from what he offers from a talent and leadership point of view. We understand where we're at as a group, we're rebuilding our group, we need to add some guys in the middle tier to support our young group."

On Jack Graham: "We've got a number of players that we're speaking to. A bit of a wait and see on that one as well. We'll talk to a number of guys."

On Shai Bolton: "I think it will be difficult for anybody, really. He's heavily contracted and a high quality player."

On James Peatling: "He's heavily involved in a finals series at the moment so I don't want to comment too much on it, but I think there's a number of guys that have been playing really good footy this year that could suit what we do and what other clubs do. He's taken his footy to another level this year."

On Tom Barrass: "We've had an early discussion with Hawthorn about it, they understand where we're at. He's nominated Hawthorn as his ideal destination. We want what we think he's worth, as a genuine key back in the competition that can do what he can do. We're obviously mindful of getting an appropriate deal for West Coast."

On Tom Clurey: "Maybe (note: sounded very non enthused). We'd probably need some key back depth, whether that's through the draft or trade and free agency."

On Jack Darling: "We've had initial discussions with his management group about (moving). We're open to talking, as we are with all of our players, but Jack's contracted with us."

On Liam Ryan: "I expect him to be at West Coast next year, yes." (The most definitive answer of the day by a mile, a non-starter of a talking point.)

On out of contact players e.g. Rotham, Witherden, Jones: "We're still working through what it looks like from a list point of view, and how many selections we'll want to have, and players that may come in and potentially may go out. You might want to give a coach an opportunity to look at these guys."

On Harley Reid: "We've had discussions most of the year with his management group. I think it sits in a really good place. We're open to doing really whatever they want to do to be honest. We're really confident in building the right system around Harley, on and off field, to make sure that he's really comfortable, that he's going to play his best footy, and his long term future."

On Jake Waterman's new deal: "Yep, really close. We're working really closely with his management on that. I expect that we'll have something done pretty soon."

On Oscar Allen: "We've been talking with Oscar and his manager most of the year on that one. We're going through some stuff at the moment. I think we'll be ok with that one."

Past rumoured targets:

Last edited by a moderator:
As far as the consensus top 7 mids go for WCE list needs I personally have three tiers:

1. FOS, Jagga
2. Lalor, Langford, Draper
3. Reid, Smillie

I wouldn’t trade pick 3 if I was confident we were getting FOS or Jagga. I’d hope we take it to the draft and if they are both off the board we will get a small fortune for it or take Lalor or Draper.

Lalor and Draper would possibly make the first tier but I have concerns for injuries they have/had and whilst I think Langford will make a great player in the right system, our lack of midfield pace and agility is already a concern.

I believe the club has put a line through Reid and Smillie.

I agree with Eastern Rangers that the club would probably spilt pick 3 if it meant we could get Tobie and Bo. The only way I see that happening is a trade with Richmond or the Saints and I’d be shocked if the Saints gave up their sweet spot consecutive picks in the draft. I understand the Demons are strongly considering Bo at 5 but will likely take Langford if available but could be a spanner in the works.

Although I don’t think it will happen this way, I can see us trading 3 for 6 and Baker but it would mean we likely end up with Travaglia, Baker and one of Lindsay or Bo. You’d think for this to happen we’d want to take a midfielder with pick 26 but I think Hynes and Gross will be gone by then which may leave Moraes whose stocks seem to be falling.

Turning 3,14 and 26 into Travaglia, Lindsay/Allan, Baker and Moraes would be a decent result considering we’re stuck with Baker. Dennis and Stumpf would be worth consideration as KPDs with our late pick(s) as well as getting Champion.
What makes you say this about Smil?
Speculation or whispers?
Flight risk or other issue?

Salient points:
Clurey mercifully not coming.
Dev possible.
Mentioned SSP for KPD. ?DGB.
Happy with where Harley’s contract is.
Basically said Baker is worth pick 14. Embarrassing.
Yeah Richmond recruiter didn’t even say that about Baker. He didn’t say anything for his whole interview really.

To have a SSP train on you’d think we would have to cut pretty deep?

Jack Graham has signed via FA.

What makes you say this about Smil?
Speculation or whispers?
Flight risk or other issue?
Some feedback post combine. If Smillie slid to 14 for example I’m sure we’d consider him but not at pick 3.
Made it sound like Dev was on the hunt for a new club, as opposed to us trying to prise him out.
Yep specifically mentioned “taking on his contract”, perhaps posturing but for me that was suggesting we won’t pay much for him as we would be relieving the Lions of his contract.

I can’t help but think the Baker stuff is Clarke / McQualter Richmond bias.
The same thought process of old Harry Redknapp signing the same six players whichever club he went to.
Both players have been linked to WCE since before either of Clarke or McQualter came on board

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why is it that some of the big wigs think Baker is worth a first round pick when most supporters think it is a joke?
It’s just Richmond and Richmond alumni. Even Bond mentioned something along the lines of “no one thinks Baker is worth more than pick 20-25”.

A bit harsh on Bakers speech guy's.
Would have been a pretty uncomfortable/awkward moment accepting an award and trying to thank the club you know you won't be playing for next year.
Would not be an easy setting. Hard enough for most people to stand up in front of a crowd and give a speech without it being this "weird"
Luckily though if we get him it will be for his footy skills and not speaking in front of an audience skills.

The same thought process of old Harry Redknapp signing the same six players whichever club he went to.
Maybe they've got first hand knowledge about bakers impact on and off the field?

On SM-S921B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Baker was wanted by both WA clubs? And would be best 22 for all 18 clubs. I do get the argument of is he what we need?

Graham can’t be lobbed in with McQualter as it was reported we were very interested way baffle Mini was in the picture.

The only positive from it is they know what exactly what players they are trading or signing and should have a fair idea if the fit a need.

Graham is better than the players we’ve delisted/are about to delist and 3-4 years of solid footy is probably more than you’d reasonably expect from a draft pick in the 60’s

Comes in without losing draft capital and helps reach our salary cap floor with what is a likely a front ended contract

Worst case scenario is he sets an example and is a mature bodied mid to help the kids in the WAFL

Best case scenario is he stiffens up our midfield and helps make space for Harley to do his thing

Not a sexy acquisition by any stretch but a good bit of business that improves the lower end of our best 22

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back