List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links

Latest news and rumours

Done deals:

• Zane Trew, Jamaine Jones and Jordyn Baker delisted

Ongoing discussions:

• List Manager Matt Clarke appeared on Sept 11 Gettable - Click spoiler below for summary
    On the draft: "We predicted that the draft was strong, but it's probably gotten stronger during the year."

On top end of draft: "You could probably make five or six different choices and get it right."

On Pick 3: "I reckon there's five (players) around that mark."

On splitting: "I think you want to hold an early selection if you can. The depth of this group allows you to maybe have some movement there, and see what you can do to bring in more talent in the first 20-25 picks. Easier said than done, and I think most clubs would be saying the same thing. We'll see what we can do."

On Liam Baker: "He's still yet to make a decision. They're still weighing up a few things. We'd love to get Liam on board from what he offers from a talent and leadership point of view. We understand where we're at as a group, we're rebuilding our group, we need to add some guys in the middle tier to support our young group."

On Jack Graham: "We've got a number of players that we're speaking to. A bit of a wait and see on that one as well. We'll talk to a number of guys."

On Shai Bolton: "I think it will be difficult for anybody, really. He's heavily contracted and a high quality player."

On James Peatling: "He's heavily involved in a finals series at the moment so I don't want to comment too much on it, but I think there's a number of guys that have been playing really good footy this year that could suit what we do and what other clubs do. He's taken his footy to another level this year."

On Tom Barrass: "We've had an early discussion with Hawthorn about it, they understand where we're at. He's nominated Hawthorn as his ideal destination. We want what we think he's worth, as a genuine key back in the competition that can do what he can do. We're obviously mindful of getting an appropriate deal for West Coast."

On Tom Clurey: "Maybe (note: sounded very non enthused). We'd probably need some key back depth, whether that's through the draft or trade and free agency."

On Jack Darling: "We've had initial discussions with his management group about (moving). We're open to talking, as we are with all of our players, but Jack's contracted with us."

On Liam Ryan: "I expect him to be at West Coast next year, yes." (The most definitive answer of the day by a mile, a non-starter of a talking point.)

On out of contact players e.g. Rotham, Witherden, Jones: "We're still working through what it looks like from a list point of view, and how many selections we'll want to have, and players that may come in and potentially may go out. You might want to give a coach an opportunity to look at these guys."

On Harley Reid: "We've had discussions most of the year with his management group. I think it sits in a really good place. We're open to doing really whatever they want to do to be honest. We're really confident in building the right system around Harley, on and off field, to make sure that he's really comfortable, that he's going to play his best footy, and his long term future."

On Jake Waterman's new deal: "Yep, really close. We're working really closely with his management on that. I expect that we'll have something done pretty soon."

On Oscar Allen: "We've been talking with Oscar and his manager most of the year on that one. We're going through some stuff at the moment. I think we'll be ok with that one."

Past rumoured targets:

Last edited by a moderator:
The club might see itself closer to contending than the average fan.

If we did:
  • 3 and F1 to Syd for Warner and 19.
  • 19 to Rich for Baker and 32.
We'd have a midfield of Yeo, Kelly, Warner, Harley, Graham, with Hutchinson, Baker and Hewett to pinch hit from the flanks. That's a strong midfield.

Hopefully get Flynn on the park for the full season, with Bailey to train there all off season (if not traded for a real ruck).

Forwards are set and forget. Two AA pillars. If Carlton can make finals with Owies as their first choice small, we can get by with Ryan, Long, Dewar, Champion etc.

A lot less ball going into the backline with that midfield. Also doubtful that McQualter goes for land of the giants, so less easy exits from our forward half.

If it does get down there though, Hough and Ginbey are another year closer to their primes, with Baker and Duggan taking the smalls.

If McGovern can keep up 80% of this year's form as well, we'd get decent odds at all home games.

Also a small possibility that we hold Barrass if Hawks don't pay up.

Maric another another year in (and still only 20 until the end of the 2025 season somehow!) rotating through wing and half back delivering lasers.

Should also get a soft draw with double ups against Norf and Tigers - for the "against their old team" narrative if nothing else. As well as the double up against the "we knocked them out of finals", "rent free in their heads" Dockers.

I'm a glass half full kinda guy, but if that all came to fruition, I'd go into 2025 feeling a real chance of pushing for the eight.

Would also still have picks 14, 26 and 32 to bring in some other quality youth.
I did think we might attempt something like this, but then theres been talk of splitting 3 to get more kids in and stuff.

It'd have been nice/interesting, but I think we are a year away from trying bigger moves like that. Probably need to get a couple more early draft picks in still before going all in imo.

If it was me id be planning to go all in next year with Warner and chasing Starcevich as a FA + whoever else we can convince.

View attachment 2134753

Keep trying to copy and paste the entire article but it’s not letting me

Harley had some pretty concerning comments tbh, one of them that caught my eye was that he wasn’t able to get home as much as he liked this year… we gave him a game off to go back there, he was there when he was suspended and on our bye weeks etc. too.

Still feel optimistic about keeping him for 1-2 years beyond his initial contract, but he does keep dropping these sorts of comments.
Im sure just about every single kid that has to move away from home is the exact same, they just dont get asked about it every week, with articles and front pages of their quotes

View attachment 2134753

Keep trying to copy and paste the entire article but it’s not letting me

Harley had some pretty concerning comments tbh, one of them that caught my eye was that he wasn’t able to get home as much as he liked this year… we gave him a game off to go back there, he was there when he was suspended and on our bye weeks etc. too.

Still feel optimistic about keeping him for 1-2 years beyond his initial contract, but he does keep dropping these sorts of comments.
HUN's just going to spin it however they please to whip up Vic supporters into a frenzy for clickbait purposes.

We want information on our plans, but only if we like the information we're given. We also don't want to give away too much information as it weakens our bargaining position, but we also want to make sure we are open with the information about which recruits we're targeting and how we plan to attract them. :drunk:

On a hiding to nothing is the best way to describe the club right now.
Absolute rubbish. Many (most?) of us have been really impressed with the changes Pyke has made. But for Clarke to make the concessions he did today was naive from a negotiation perspective and unhelpful. I mean he basically humiliated a journo for asking whether Barrass is worth 2 first round picks, yet the picks are likely to be very late first round picks made even worse by academy and father/son selections (and that should be at least our opening position in a negotiation).

I'll have a go for the record, what I think might happen:

Give TB and F2 to hawks for R1 and F1.
Give R2 to tigers for Baker.

So basically TB out, Baker in, and upgrade this year and next's 2nd round pick to 1st round pick, avoiding all the end of R1 compo BS.

Bonus round: swap 3 and 14 for 6 and 7 somehow

Trying to catch up on this thread...

Arnold Schwarzenegger I Give Up GIF by Jerology

Trying to catch up on this thread...

Arnold Schwarzenegger I Give Up GIF by Jerology
Nothing of note happened, yet everything’s gone horribly wrong.

Clarke was facing true north east, rather than the more optimal north north east, during his presser which means the club will fold.

Baker will instantly make our 22 stronger, looking forward to it, he’ll be in our squad soon you bloody beauty!
I’m really interested to see if we can add any other young midfielders, Garcia, Carroll, Dev.
I also hope we split our pick 3, two shots at the title is better than one.
If were bringing in Baker, Graham and say a Dev or Garcia we are far better off keeping pick 3 and bringing in a gun mid. FOS or Lalor. We also need to get back into the first round and have a crack at Travaglia .

If were bringing in Baker, Graham and say a Dev or Garcia we are far better off keeping pick 3 and bringing in a gun mid. FOS or Lalor. We also need to get back into the first round and have a crack at Travaglia .
The only way to do that is to trade our f1, which means we are almost out of the race for Warner

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gee some of you lads on here need to have a break from trade time for your own sake

Just listen to the infomas press conference. Clarke said nothing of substance (typically AFL media interviews). He was asked a question and gave a pretty nothing answer ("urgh, umm, yeah, maybe I think so, somewhere in there, other mechanisms what we end up with what they end up with, we will work through it").

You guys seriously taking that answer as gospel, trading a mid teen pick (which we don't actually have yet) for baker? Come on, answering a question by straight batting the answer back at the journo is AFL media training 101.
What are you on about? That wasn't even close to a straight bat answer, he agreed unequivocally that he was worth an early teens pick.

I’m with this - I really don’t want to give up 14, but don’t tell me he’s not a good player.

Jack Graham coming in for nothing is perfectly fine.

I also want a split.
Furthermore, states an interest in dev when we've already just got in Graham
Good idea, fill our team with spuds. Isn't that what we've been doing the last 3 years. You'd think we'd learn to stop bringing these guys in

The only way to do that is to trade our f1, which means we are almost out of the race for Warner
People are placing far too much currency on Warner....We historically have never really brought in gun players , we have done speculative trades but never really targeted out and out guns at high cost.

What has been overlooked in his reply is that he also said it would depend on what picks each team ended up with after other trades. He then later said when talking about Barrass that we wouldn’t necessarily wait for that trade to be done before finalising a Baker deal - which would mean we wouldn’t have pick 14 to use

But that would need people to put his comments in context before reaching a conclusion on something that will take until at least the end of this week and probably into next week to finalise
I think the comment about possibly trading Baker before Barrass is so we don't hand the Hawks any unneccessary leverage.
And well may it be that we may not have pick 14 when we trade for Baker, but it still sets a value so we now have to work towards. And if we do hold that pick when trading for Baker, then syonara.

I think we have to be taking the best possible interpretation to walk away thinking he's not leading us down the garden path.

Personally, the best outcome I can now see is we trade 3 back a few spots, get another teens pick, use that on Baker, and hopefully take the mid we'd always wanted with 3. Since Richmond likely holds pick 6, this is essentially trading 3 for Baker + 6 with them.

**Also, give Syd are apparently throwing up 19+22 for 13 but Pies are expected to land it, it's reasonable to expect we could extract the same value for 14 (even if we have to swap future late picks with them). If push came to shove, Tigers would have to accept 19. But maybe not if we've already said he's worth early teens pick.

People are placing far too much currency on Warner....We historically have never really brought in gun players , we have done speculative trades but never really targeted out and out guns at high cost.
Just because we havent historically done it doesnt mean we wont want to do it now. If he costs our 2025 1st pick + change hes absolutely worth spending up for.
Id rather keep the option open if possible

Just because we havent historically done it doesnt mean we wont want to do it now. If he costs our 2025 1st pick + change hes absolutely worth spending up for.
I stand corrected... We did target a gun... Kelly.... and we are still paying the price for that deal. I think were better off targeting high end talent via the draft.

I’m pretty sure you’d still be able to get a gun mid and have a crack at Travaglia by trading pick 3.

I stand corrected... We did target a gun... Kelly.... and we are still paying the price for that deal. I think were better off targeting high end talent via the draft.

Agreed with stallon on this one. Wouldn't want to sell the entire farm but a gun's a gun and there's a fair bit to play out - Sydney could drop off (possible), the media could create an absolute circus around him coming home (unlikely cause we're not Richmond/Collingwood but slightly possible) and Freo could be entirely out of the race if they trade their future picks and do better next year, making us the only option (possible if not likely).

His value would be too much if it was this year but there might be circumstances next year that give our F1 the upper hand, would rather retain it if possible, and if we do split our first this year it'd still be nice to have the option of a top-ender next year regardless. Geelong got us on Kelly, sure, but they're also the BODEs and we were gunning for immediate success in our window which was a bad call in hindsight but I'm happy the club would take the shoot for the moon stance with a 2nd premiership seemingly on the cards.

We have a great trade relationship with Sydney and there's a lot to play out. Do agree if the asking price is too much would just target the draft but it'd be silly not to keep the option open.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back