List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links

Latest news and rumours

Done deals:

• Zane Trew, Jamaine Jones and Jordyn Baker delisted

Ongoing discussions:

• List Manager Matt Clarke appeared on Sept 11 Gettable - Click spoiler below for summary
    On the draft: "We predicted that the draft was strong, but it's probably gotten stronger during the year."

On top end of draft: "You could probably make five or six different choices and get it right."

On Pick 3: "I reckon there's five (players) around that mark."

On splitting: "I think you want to hold an early selection if you can. The depth of this group allows you to maybe have some movement there, and see what you can do to bring in more talent in the first 20-25 picks. Easier said than done, and I think most clubs would be saying the same thing. We'll see what we can do."

On Liam Baker: "He's still yet to make a decision. They're still weighing up a few things. We'd love to get Liam on board from what he offers from a talent and leadership point of view. We understand where we're at as a group, we're rebuilding our group, we need to add some guys in the middle tier to support our young group."

On Jack Graham: "We've got a number of players that we're speaking to. A bit of a wait and see on that one as well. We'll talk to a number of guys."

On Shai Bolton: "I think it will be difficult for anybody, really. He's heavily contracted and a high quality player."

On James Peatling: "He's heavily involved in a finals series at the moment so I don't want to comment too much on it, but I think there's a number of guys that have been playing really good footy this year that could suit what we do and what other clubs do. He's taken his footy to another level this year."

On Tom Barrass: "We've had an early discussion with Hawthorn about it, they understand where we're at. He's nominated Hawthorn as his ideal destination. We want what we think he's worth, as a genuine key back in the competition that can do what he can do. We're obviously mindful of getting an appropriate deal for West Coast."

On Tom Clurey: "Maybe (note: sounded very non enthused). We'd probably need some key back depth, whether that's through the draft or trade and free agency."

On Jack Darling: "We've had initial discussions with his management group about (moving). We're open to talking, as we are with all of our players, but Jack's contracted with us."

On Liam Ryan: "I expect him to be at West Coast next year, yes." (The most definitive answer of the day by a mile, a non-starter of a talking point.)

On out of contact players e.g. Rotham, Witherden, Jones: "We're still working through what it looks like from a list point of view, and how many selections we'll want to have, and players that may come in and potentially may go out. You might want to give a coach an opportunity to look at these guys."

On Harley Reid: "We've had discussions most of the year with his management group. I think it sits in a really good place. We're open to doing really whatever they want to do to be honest. We're really confident in building the right system around Harley, on and off field, to make sure that he's really comfortable, that he's going to play his best footy, and his long term future."

On Jake Waterman's new deal: "Yep, really close. We're working really closely with his management on that. I expect that we'll have something done pretty soon."

On Oscar Allen: "We've been talking with Oscar and his manager most of the year on that one. We're going through some stuff at the moment. I think we'll be ok with that one."

Past rumoured targets:

Last edited by a moderator:
If the reports of us having excess cap space are true - and it means that WE pay less in picks for Baker then why not?

It seems win-win to me.
Clubs play around and rort the system all the time (apart from us of course).

I'm genuinely curious as to why we don't get in on the action.
By gifting Richmond a better pick? Not sure how that benefits us in any way, considering WCE and Richmond would've mostly discussed what Baker's worth is.

I've got to say that Matt Clarke looks and sounds maybe overworked...and disinterested..

In a thread full of terrible opinions on a board currently crammed tight with terrible takes, this one is up there with one of the stinkiest comments I've read lately.

By gifting Richmond a better pick? Not sure how that benefits us in any way, considering WCE and Richmond would've mostly discussed what Baker's worth is.

The benefit would be that they understand we are generating them a better pick for Graham on the proviso that we pay less in picks for Baker.

So basically we are swapping cap space for better draft picks.

Finn O’Sullivan once again saying he’d enjoy heading West
Sounds like he almost wants to go West. Can’t see him being there at 3 even if we don’t split.

In a thread full of terrible opinions on a board currently crammed tight with terrible takes, this one is up there with one of the stinkiest comments I've read lately.
Along with saying the below ....

"Just tell them that as he's uncontracted and that in the end the preseason draft is an option".

The benefit would be that they understand we are generating them a better pick for Graham on the proviso that we pay less in picks for Baker.

So basically we are swapping cap space for better draft picks.
Reckon we would've if we could've. Seems either the AFL, or Richmond, have other ideas.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

But IMHO now that we've landed Graham we shouldnt want Baker.

We've got our 26 y.o Tigers mid. With Kelly and Yeo rotating through the middle we shouldnt need another unless they're absolute top shelf.
This baker nonsense wouldn't have occurred under the previous wce managment. They got the kelly one very badly wrong but other than that, they were reasonable at the trade table. They didn't overpay for spuds.

Simpson tried to bring in some north players when he first took over, but again, there was no overpaying. This is almost like the wce, ex-richmond managers now overpaying for receiving good reference checks. The baker trade just needs to fall over and the entirety of wa would be pleased.

This baker nonsense wouldn't have occurred under the previous wce managment. They got the kelly one very badly wrong but other than that, they were reasonable at the trade table. They didn't overpay for spuds.

Simpson tried to bring in some north players when he first took over, but again, there was no overpaying. This is almost like the wce, ex-richmond managers now overpaying for receiving good reference checks. The baker trade just needs to fall over and the entirety of wa would be pleased.

Let's just pretend for a moment that there truly is a hidden agenda by Clarke to turn the Eagles into the West Coast Tigers. He's somehow managed to wangle McQualter into a head coaching role that was presided over by an external consultancy firm, now he's gone to step 2 in his master plan and started throwing away draft picks on Tiger "spuds" to finally bring the mighty West Coast to its knees?

Jokes aside, it's more likely that both Clarke and McQualter are recognising holes in our list and using their knowledge of available players they have had previous involvement with and are targeting guys that will walk into our best 22 and will set a high standard of training and game performance that we desperately need.

For the record I'd probably vomit in my throat a little if we did a straight swap of Barrass for Baker, but everyone who's not a fan of the price we could pay for Baker at least needs to acknowledge that he's a good player that will make us a better team.

Let's just pretend for a moment that there truly is a hidden agenda by Clarke to turn the Eagles into the West Coast Tigers. He's somehow managed to wangle McQualter into a head coaching role that was presided over by an external consultancy firm, now he's gone to step 2 in his master plan and started throwing away draft picks on Tiger "spuds" to finally bring the mighty West Coast to its knees?

Jokes aside, it's more likely that both Clarke and McQualter are recognising holes in our list and using their knowledge of available players they have had previous involvement with and are targeting guys that will walk into our best 22 and will set a high standard of training and game performance that we desperately need.

For the record I'd probably vomit in my throat a little if we did a straight swap of Barrass for Baker, but everyone who's not a fan of the price we could pay for Baker at least needs to acknowledge that he's a good player that will make us a better team.
I think they just need to read the room a little and let this trade go. Wait until he is a free agent and bring him in. Wce fans have had enough of trade that go sour. Trading down from pick 3 or giving up pick 14 is just too much draft capital

If we had to trade pick 14 though that’s the option to take. Idea of trading pick 14 for Baker plus 26 is absurd . Sydney can do us better is what I’m saying
Thats fair enough, I'm hoping we are trading 14 and what else we get from Hawks back into the top 8 somehow for a real high end talent and use an f2 on baker

On SM-A155F using BigFooty.com mobile app

That'd be pick 8 for pick 14 and a pick likely to be about pick 20.
Is pick 8 worth more than that?
This year yes. Travaglia/top end mid vs Lindsay/Berry/Allan and F20.

You know Tobie better than anyone on here. Would you trade our F1 to Richmond for 6 (Travaglia) and Baker?

3-FOS
6-Travaglia
14-Lindsay
26-O’Farrell/Mraz*

I think they just need to read the room a little and let this trade go. Wait until he is a free agent and bring him in. Wce fans have had enough of trade that go sour. Trading down from pick 3 or giving up pick 14 is just too much draft capital

What room though? The people on here that didn't want [insert coaching candidate] because of [insert vibe/physical feature/trivial reasoning]? I'm serious, where else is there rumblings about Baker that I can access publicly that the club is also accessing coz they care about Joe Schmo's thoughts on list management?

That'd be pick 8 for pick 14 and a pick likely to be about pick 20.
Is pick 8 worth more than that?
I read your post quickly and thought you were suggesting Hawthorn’s f2.

But even if it was ours pick 14 and particularly pick 20 or so would blow out a lot so it’s not an especially attractive proposition, I doubt that they would do it.

The draft system has become hopelessly corrupted.

Not as stinky as when we get reamed on from both ends with Barrass and Baker i would assume bender?... Because Clarke doesn't drive a hard enough bargain

I guess probably you'd be ok with it though...

MEGA

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back