List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links

Latest news and rumours

Done deals:

• Zane Trew, Jamaine Jones and Jordyn Baker delisted

Ongoing discussions:

• List Manager Matt Clarke appeared on Sept 11 Gettable - Click spoiler below for summary
    On the draft: "We predicted that the draft was strong, but it's probably gotten stronger during the year."

On top end of draft: "You could probably make five or six different choices and get it right."

On Pick 3: "I reckon there's five (players) around that mark."

On splitting: "I think you want to hold an early selection if you can. The depth of this group allows you to maybe have some movement there, and see what you can do to bring in more talent in the first 20-25 picks. Easier said than done, and I think most clubs would be saying the same thing. We'll see what we can do."

On Liam Baker: "He's still yet to make a decision. They're still weighing up a few things. We'd love to get Liam on board from what he offers from a talent and leadership point of view. We understand where we're at as a group, we're rebuilding our group, we need to add some guys in the middle tier to support our young group."

On Jack Graham: "We've got a number of players that we're speaking to. A bit of a wait and see on that one as well. We'll talk to a number of guys."

On Shai Bolton: "I think it will be difficult for anybody, really. He's heavily contracted and a high quality player."

On James Peatling: "He's heavily involved in a finals series at the moment so I don't want to comment too much on it, but I think there's a number of guys that have been playing really good footy this year that could suit what we do and what other clubs do. He's taken his footy to another level this year."

On Tom Barrass: "We've had an early discussion with Hawthorn about it, they understand where we're at. He's nominated Hawthorn as his ideal destination. We want what we think he's worth, as a genuine key back in the competition that can do what he can do. We're obviously mindful of getting an appropriate deal for West Coast."

On Tom Clurey: "Maybe (note: sounded very non enthused). We'd probably need some key back depth, whether that's through the draft or trade and free agency."

On Jack Darling: "We've had initial discussions with his management group about (moving). We're open to talking, as we are with all of our players, but Jack's contracted with us."

On Liam Ryan: "I expect him to be at West Coast next year, yes." (The most definitive answer of the day by a mile, a non-starter of a talking point.)

On out of contact players e.g. Rotham, Witherden, Jones: "We're still working through what it looks like from a list point of view, and how many selections we'll want to have, and players that may come in and potentially may go out. You might want to give a coach an opportunity to look at these guys."

On Harley Reid: "We've had discussions most of the year with his management group. I think it sits in a really good place. We're open to doing really whatever they want to do to be honest. We're really confident in building the right system around Harley, on and off field, to make sure that he's really comfortable, that he's going to play his best footy, and his long term future."

On Jake Waterman's new deal: "Yep, really close. We're working really closely with his management on that. I expect that we'll have something done pretty soon."

On Oscar Allen: "We've been talking with Oscar and his manager most of the year on that one. We're going through some stuff at the moment. I think we'll be ok with that one."

Past rumoured targets:

Last edited by a moderator:
Trade values according to the media are all over the place and the variances defy rational explanation

Bailey Smith (7/12/00 - Uncontracted) - pick 17 because Dogs have no leverage and he’s coming off an ACL and not trading him would be a human rights violation
• James Peatling (21/8/00 - Uncontracted) - a F2 pick is considered about right
Jack Lukosius (9/8/00) - hard to get a read on his value as media seem not to give a **** about his trade
Shai Bolton (8/12/98 - Contracted) - whilst some are saying picks 10 and 11, most are saying 10 or 11 plus 18
Liam Baker (27/1/98 - Uncontracted) - pick 14 is the general consensus
Dan Houston (12/5/97 - Contracted) - despite Port saying they want 2x R1 picks most reports are focused on a club getting pick 13 off Gold Coast to do the deal with maybe something extra that isn’t another R1
• Dan Rioli (16/4/97 - Contracted) - pick 6 considered the minimum with suggestions that pick 23, or even 13, might need to be added
John Noble (25/3/97 - Contracted) - Collingwood reportedly offering Noble and a F2 for 13 and 23
Alex Neal-Bullen (9/1/96 - Contracted) - traded for pick 28. Considered slight chance unders but reasonable due to his circumstances in seeking a return to SA
Tom Barrass (8/10/95 - Contracted) - pick 14 plus a usually undefined sweetener but needs to be done to ensure Baker trade is also done
• Jack Macrae (3/8/94 - Contracted) - Saints have picks 27 (too much) and 47 (not enough)

It’s all a bit odd. Geelong are routinely a bunch of utter campaigners at trade time but never get called out in the media for it

And the cheerleading for Richmond playing draft pick Pokémon is ridiculous. The fact that probably only Bolton is close to being worth what’s being discussed is ignored when trumpeting their fantastic rebuild in one draft story

(Nevermind that in addition to the retirements of Martin, Grimes and Pickett they are set to lose Rioli, Bolton, Baker and Graham from a side that just finished 18th leaves their inexperienced list with a lot of holes)

Took the words out of my mouth. They're seriously unhinged.

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

The Tigers received band four compensation for Graham, which became pick 42. I wonder why that all they got, it because that's all he is worth. Another Richmond leftover. WCE are looking bad in this draft so far
It is a 4 year contract but the overall $ part is probably only 2 million . Not enough for band 3

He might have a big pay day front loaded next season eg 800k but then its only 400k per year the next 3 years .

My God! I can’t wait till the end of this trade period. Watching some of the absolute morons on here running for cover!
It’s what you’d call “I know what WC need better than they do” whining.
Some of the llloooonnnggg convoluted multi drafts have the ability to do my head in!
Well they would if I bothered to read them unfortunately my eyes glaze over and I skip ahead to retain my sanity.
Debate and throw ideas around
but some of the angry melts are just ridiculous!
Let’s have some faith in the club.Pike is no mug!!

Melters gotta melt.

Its just in their nature.

1728423211201.png
From the HUN this morning. Now Lalor or Langford (not FOS) apparently heading to Richmond. IMO Norf likely to take the other.

After hearing Clarke talk the best case secenario for Barrass trade is 14 and 33 IMO.

Trade F1 for Baker and 6 and hopefully 62,67 come in enough to get a look at Ough, Johnson and Barrat.
3-FOS
6-Travaglia
14-Lindsay
26-O’Farrell
33-Mraz
62-Champion
67-Ough/Johnson

Harley would sign on tomorrow.

Last edited:
View attachment 2135845
From the HUN this morning. Now Lalor and Langford (not FOS) apparently heading to Richmond. IMO Norf likely to take the other.

After hearing Clarke talk the best case secenario for Barrass trade is 14 and 33 IMO.

Trade F1 for Baker and 6 and hopefully 62,67 come in enough to get a look at Ough, Johnson and Barrat.
3-FOS
6-Travaglia
14-Lindsay
26-O’Farrell
33-Mraz
62-Champion
67-Ough/Johnson

I hope we end up with Urquhart too somehow. Not convinced a bid on champion will come

On SM-S921B using BigFooty.com mobile app

View attachment 2135845
From the HUN this morning. Now Lalor and Langford (not FOS) apparently heading to Richmond. IMO Norf likely to take the other.

3-FOS
6-Travaglia
14-Lindsay
26-O’Farrell
33-Mraz
62-Champion
67-Ough/Johnson

I recon some haggling will be needed.

Barrass and F3 for 14 33 F2

I hope we end up with Urquhart too somehow. Not convinced a bid on champion will come

On SM-S921B using BigFooty.com mobile app
You might be right on Champion, I think it’s touch and go but I still think he’ll get a late bid. Urquhart tested really well, the concern certainly isn’t his desire or athletic profile.

Last edited:
Have confirmed on the Richmond boards they think 14 is a good deal for Baker (for them).

Everybody knows it's overs. Everybody.
Even though every West Coast supporter that has commented has said that trading 14 for Baker would be a bad trade for us. It's the social media equivalent of putting your fingers in your ears, closing your eyes and loudly rambling nonsense.

Took the words out of my mouth.

It must have been while you were kissing Keys?

Meat Loaf Singer GIF by NPO Radio 2

Trade values according to the media are all over the place and the variances defy rational explanation

• Bailey Smith (7/12/00 - Uncontracted) - pick 17 because Dogs have no leverage and he’s coming off an ACL and not trading him would be a human rights violation
• Jack Lukosius (9/8/00) - hard to get a read on his value as media seem not to give a **** about his trade
• Shai Bolton (8/12/98 - Contracted) - whilst some are saying picks 10 and 11, most are saying 10 or 11 plus 18
• Liam Baker (27/1/98 - Uncontracted) - pick 14 is the general consensus
• Dan Houston (12/5/97 - Contracted) - despite Port saying they want 2x R1 picks most reports are focused on a club getting pick 13 off Gold Coast to do the deal with maybe something extra that isn’t another R1
• Dan Rioli (16/4/97 - Contracted) - pick 6 considered the minimum with suggestions that pick 23, or even 13, might need to be added
• John Noble (25/3/97 - Contracted) - Collingwood reportedly offering Noble and a F2 for 13 and 23
• Alex Neal-Bullen (9/1/96 - Contracted) - traded for pick 28. Considered slight chance unders but reasonable due to his circumstances in seeking a return to SA
• Tom Barrass (8/10/95 - Contracted) - pick 14 plus a usually undefined sweetener but needs to be done to ensure Baker trade is also done
• Jack Macrae (3/8/94 - Contracted) - Saints have picks 27 (too much) and 47 (not enough)

It’s all a bit odd. Geelong are routinely a bunch of utter campaigners at trade time but never get called out in the media for it

And the cheerleading for Richmond playing draft pick Pokémon is ridiculous. The fact that probably only Bolton is close to being worth what’s being discussed is ignored when trumpeting their fantastic rebuild in one draft story

(Nevermind that in addition to the retirements of Martin, Grimes and Pickett they are set to lose Rioli, Bolton, Baker and Graham from a side that just finished 18th leaves their inexperienced list with a lot of holes)

It looks like the media don't care about fair value - just look at whether a club has been easy touches previously (or "win every trade") and then guess based on that & what they have/will have.

GC/WCE are the former, Geel, Ess, Port the latter. So GC & WCE are screwed over in any predicted trade.

• Bailey Smith (7/12/00 - Uncontracted) - pick 17 because Dogs have no leverage and he’s coming off an ACL and not trading him would be a human rights violation
• Jack Lukosius (9/8/00) - hard to get a read on his value as media seem not to give a **** about his trade
• Shai Bolton (8/12/98 - Contracted) - whilst some are saying picks 10 and 11, most are saying 10 or 11 plus 18
• Liam Baker (27/1/98 - Uncontracted) - pick 14 is the general consensus
• Dan Houston (12/5/97 - Contracted) - despite Port saying they want 2x R1 picks most reports are focused on a club getting pick 13 off Gold Coast to do the deal with maybe something extra that isn’t another R1
• John Noble (25/3/97 - Contracted) - Collingwood reportedly offering Noble and a F2 for 13 and 23
• Alex Neal-Bullen (9/1/96 - Contracted) - traded for pick 28. Considered slight chance unders but reasonable due to his circumstances in seeking a return to SA
• Tom Barrass (8/10/95 - Contracted) - pick 14 plus a usually undefined sweetener but needs to be done to ensure Baker trade is also done

There is no doubt that the idea of the Tigers holding a stack of picks in the top 20 is exciting for the media, that's driving their discussions.

Would love for clubs to play hardball with them and see if they hold of fold. Tigers as currently construed are the worst team in the league. If they don't move their middle aged players for picks now, not sure how they get good enough before Tasmania ruin the draft. They need to pull the trigger now on the complete tear down.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It looks like the media don't care about fair value - just look at whether a club has been easy touches previously (or "win every trade") and then guess based on that & what they have/will have.

GC/WCE are the former, Geel, Ess, Port the latter. So GC & WCE are screwed over in any predicted trade.
Agreed. Smith, Houston, Barrass and Bolton are all worth two firsts with something going back. Rioli is worth a single first (not 6), Baker is worth an early second, Noble a late second/early third. Literally every trade scenario is driven by Victorian football media based on what clubs have available and what works best for Victorian clubs.

That dirty feeling when you agree with Kane Cornes

They should let Richmond get the Brisbane pick and trade 6 + 41 for Rioli + 20 (keeping 13 for the Houston bidding war).

They should let Richmond get the Brisbane pick and trade 6 + 41 for Rioli + 20 (keeping 13 for the Houston bidding war).
Again, why would GC want to trade 6? 6 is highly likely to come in before the Lombardo bid, so they can add two top ~10 talents + whoever else they can bring in. 13 and 23 for Rioli with something coming back would be much better for their purposes. For example. Richmond giving back 43 and 45, values Rioli at pick 12. That feels right.

We ready for another ACTION PACKED day of trades?!

Team Yellow will be firing on all cylinders over the next few days for no real results on the scoreboard.

Team Dry Sheets defence will hold firm, but for how long? Only Matt Clarke and his brains trust will know.

Still 1-1. Shafted on free agency compo etc but WOOSHA IS BACK

The biggest campaigners this trade period are Geelong, Richmond and anyone dealing with Gold Coast. Noble is not even worth pick 23 let alone trying to get 13 for him as well.
Are they campaigners or are we pushovers?

I think its the latter.

Clarke doesnt fill me with confidence in anyway either. He gave up 15 minutes into day 1

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back