List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links

Latest news and rumours

Done deals:

• Zane Trew, Jamaine Jones and Jordyn Baker delisted

Ongoing discussions:

• List Manager Matt Clarke appeared on Sept 11 Gettable - Click spoiler below for summary
    On the draft: "We predicted that the draft was strong, but it's probably gotten stronger during the year."

On top end of draft: "You could probably make five or six different choices and get it right."

On Pick 3: "I reckon there's five (players) around that mark."

On splitting: "I think you want to hold an early selection if you can. The depth of this group allows you to maybe have some movement there, and see what you can do to bring in more talent in the first 20-25 picks. Easier said than done, and I think most clubs would be saying the same thing. We'll see what we can do."

On Liam Baker: "He's still yet to make a decision. They're still weighing up a few things. We'd love to get Liam on board from what he offers from a talent and leadership point of view. We understand where we're at as a group, we're rebuilding our group, we need to add some guys in the middle tier to support our young group."

On Jack Graham: "We've got a number of players that we're speaking to. A bit of a wait and see on that one as well. We'll talk to a number of guys."

On Shai Bolton: "I think it will be difficult for anybody, really. He's heavily contracted and a high quality player."

On James Peatling: "He's heavily involved in a finals series at the moment so I don't want to comment too much on it, but I think there's a number of guys that have been playing really good footy this year that could suit what we do and what other clubs do. He's taken his footy to another level this year."

On Tom Barrass: "We've had an early discussion with Hawthorn about it, they understand where we're at. He's nominated Hawthorn as his ideal destination. We want what we think he's worth, as a genuine key back in the competition that can do what he can do. We're obviously mindful of getting an appropriate deal for West Coast."

On Tom Clurey: "Maybe (note: sounded very non enthused). We'd probably need some key back depth, whether that's through the draft or trade and free agency."

On Jack Darling: "We've had initial discussions with his management group about (moving). We're open to talking, as we are with all of our players, but Jack's contracted with us."

On Liam Ryan: "I expect him to be at West Coast next year, yes." (The most definitive answer of the day by a mile, a non-starter of a talking point.)

On out of contact players e.g. Rotham, Witherden, Jones: "We're still working through what it looks like from a list point of view, and how many selections we'll want to have, and players that may come in and potentially may go out. You might want to give a coach an opportunity to look at these guys."

On Harley Reid: "We've had discussions most of the year with his management group. I think it sits in a really good place. We're open to doing really whatever they want to do to be honest. We're really confident in building the right system around Harley, on and off field, to make sure that he's really comfortable, that he's going to play his best footy, and his long term future."

On Jake Waterman's new deal: "Yep, really close. We're working really closely with his management on that. I expect that we'll have something done pretty soon."

On Oscar Allen: "We've been talking with Oscar and his manager most of the year on that one. We're going through some stuff at the moment. I think we'll be ok with that one."

Past rumoured targets:

Last edited by a moderator:
Trade

Barrass for 14 F2.
3 to bombers 9 and F1st.
F1 to tigers for 6 and baker.

6 best mid
9 Lindsay
14 Allen
23 Urquhart
Champion.

It does leave saints in between us with 7 8, so likely they take TT unless we pull the trigger on him at 6.

Bombers F1 - death ride the second half of the yr!
Hawks F2
Our F2 F3 F4

All three of these are perfect for the FS and academy bids.

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

Team Yellow will be firing on all cylinders over the next few days for no real results on the scoreboard.

Team Dry Sheets defence will hold firm, but for how long? Only Matt Clarke and his brains trust will know.

Still 1-1. Shafted on free agency compo etc but WOOSHA IS BACK
Dry sheets can't claim Woosha as a win. Outside the rules surely. Sounding a bit like the AFL compo rules. Go Team yellow.

Future picks for Wil Powell.

I’m coming around to the idea of pick 14 being used as part of a Baker deal.

Our list is shocking, we need to build our number of quality of players (that aren’t 31+yo) and our depth, which means more senior players and more youth. If we traded a single pick for Baker (24), we essentially lose a second round selection this draft to gain a player. But if we involve pick 14, we lose a pick to gain +1 player and +1 pick. In an even draft I see this as advantageous to keep cycling through the list.

He’s not a superstar, but Baker can bring on field leadership to steer McQualter’s ship to the game day style he wants. We looked completely confused on the field at times this year, so Graham and Baker will greatly help here.

There's two things that matter in your scenario though, 1) what is coming back and 2) what are we conceding in terms of talent by dropping from 13 to 24/32?

Statistically, pick 14 will play 118.7 games and we have a better than 1 in 4 chance of getting a 200 gamer.

If we trade 14 for Baker + 32, what are we getting back? Baker is likely to play 100-odd games for us, assuming he plays another 6-7 seasons, with production likely to taper off in the last 2-3 seasons.
Pick 34 nets us a player statistically likely to play less than 40 games, and only a better than 1 in 4 chance of playing 120 games (as opposed to 200 games for pick 14).

In a nutshell, Baker + 32 is not good value for us if we're rebuilding. Yes, 2 players. But neither is likely to be around as long as pick 14 would.

It has to be Baker + 24. 1 in 4 chance to play 160 games.

There's two things that matter in your scenario though, 1) what is coming back and 2) what are we conceding in terms of talent by dropping from 13 to 24/32?

Statistically, pick 14 will play 118.7 games and we have a better than 1 in 4 chance of getting a 200 gamer.

If we trade 14 for Baker + 32, what are we getting back? Baker is likely to play 100-odd games for us, assuming he plays another 6-7 seasons, with production likely to taper off in the last 2-3 seasons.
Pick 34 nets us a player statistically likely to play less than 40 games, and only a better than 1 in 4 chance of playing 120 games (as opposed to 200 games for pick 14).

In a nutshell, Baker + 32 is not good value for us if we're rebuilding. Yes, 2 players. But neither is likely to be around as long as pick 14 would.

It has to be Baker + 24. 1 in 4 chance to play 160 games.

If Baker's games at WCE will only be odd ones, then pick 14 is definitely overpaying.

Last edited:
I made a thread about prices rising 30 bucks and got told we should do nothing about it and just accept it on this forum

Me thinks most people are happy to have zero opinion and just be a pawn in the AFL machine to me

One person out of the 30 in that thread told you to suck it up, the other 29 agreed with you. You have a serious victim complex going on mate.

Just curious, your opinion in Clarke being weak and soft etc, has this been formed from the single press conference from Monday?

I’m coming around to the idea of pick 14 being used as part of a Baker deal.

Our list is shocking, we need to build our number of quality of players (that aren’t 31+yo) and our depth, which means more senior players and more youth. If we traded a single pick for Baker (24), we essentially lose a second round selection this draft to gain a player. But if we involve pick 14, we lose a pick to gain +1 player and +1 pick. In an even draft I see this as advantageous to keep cycling through the list.

He’s not a superstar, but Baker can bring on field leadership to steer McQualter’s ship to the game day style he wants. We looked completely confused on the field at times this year, so Graham and Baker will greatly help here.

Nah - use 24 and some other zizzle zazzle to secure Baker and split pick 3 for a pair of top 10 selections

One person out of the 30 in that thread told you to suck it up, the other 29 agreed with you. You have a serious victim complex going on mate.

Just curious, your opinion in Clarke being weak and soft etc, has this been formed from the single press conference from Monday?
Im not denying my victim complex but more then 1 agreed with them for sure

100% not from the press conference. Its across the board. I mean we still havnt made our delistings yet..... What are we waiting for here? Couple that with things like not getting or publically asking for a priority pick, targetting players and missing out on them again and also lack of direction as a whole and its been a bad start

(Log in to remove this ad.)

R6 2027?

But really I don't know him that well, is he of benefit to our side and how much would you say he's worth?

Don't really know tbh, only recently extended with the Suns but they'll want to stockpile some future picks.

I very much hate to say this but I genuinely think Dockers can go flag if they get Shai. Lots of close losses last year, great list profile age wise, improving still. I mean I hope as always they fall horribly short but yeah they will be very decent if they can add his dynamic attacking play to that mix. You’d think he’d be keen for that kind of action that could be pretty immediate if he joins Freo

Trade

Barrass for 14 F2.
3 to bombers 9 and F1st.
F1 to tigers for 6 and baker.

6 best mid
9 Lindsay
14 Allen
23 Urquhart
Champion.

It does leave saints in between us with 7 8, so likely they take TT unless we pull the trigger on him at 6.

Bombers F1 - death ride the second half of the yr!
Hawks F2
Our F2 F3 F4

All three of these are perfect for the FS and academy bids.

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app
You gave the Bombers F1 for Baker though?

Wil Powell is pretty good hopefully his knee will be ok long term after that bad injury a few years ago.

I very much hate to say this but I genuinely think Dockers can go flag if they get Shai. Lots of close losses last year, great list profile age wise, improving still. I mean I hope as always they fall horribly short but yeah they will be very decent if they can add his dynamic attacking play to that mix. You’d think he’d be keen for that kind of action that could be pretty immediate if he joins Freo

It's bargaining period so...

will you accept a Freo Grand Final loss?

Your choice on the margin being 1pt or 100pts.

Last edited:
Calls are we need to take an elite mid at the top end of the draft to pair with Harley.

I see reasonable question marks on every mid in the top 5 this year and as much as I'd like to fast track us to not being such a basket case anymore I'd prefer to build our next premiership team.

For that reason, I have zero interest in including our F1 in considerations this year preferring to keep our powder dry next year for warner or just take Rodriguez. My preference this year is to maintain our number of picks and get in the elite runners/footballers that are going to support our future elite midfielders.

My preferred offer for baker is a slide back 3-6 with a F3 if needed.

6 Travaglia
14 Lindsay
2x Barrat, O'Farrell
5x Unwin/Urqhardt

I'm resigned to the fact that our ruck situation remains unchanged for 2025.

Next year I'm targeting either Warner or Rodriguez and Swadling

year after take another mid with R1

They should be very much in the window with their list profile and the talent they have.

However, when you have a case of the losers ingrained in your DNA it's hard to realise your potential.

I hope we end up with Urquhart too somehow. Not convinced a bid on champion will come

On SM-S921B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Not many top 10 picks made headlines at the combine. Several injured not being tested though.

Champion was up there top 10 in speed and agility. No surprises.

Any club bidding on him in the 20s or early mid 30s would be reaching. If any do we need to return the favour next year.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back