List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links

Latest news and rumours

Done deals:

• Zane Trew, Jamaine Jones and Jordyn Baker delisted

Ongoing discussions:

• List Manager Matt Clarke appeared on Sept 11 Gettable - Click spoiler below for summary
    On the draft: "We predicted that the draft was strong, but it's probably gotten stronger during the year."

On top end of draft: "You could probably make five or six different choices and get it right."

On Pick 3: "I reckon there's five (players) around that mark."

On splitting: "I think you want to hold an early selection if you can. The depth of this group allows you to maybe have some movement there, and see what you can do to bring in more talent in the first 20-25 picks. Easier said than done, and I think most clubs would be saying the same thing. We'll see what we can do."

On Liam Baker: "He's still yet to make a decision. They're still weighing up a few things. We'd love to get Liam on board from what he offers from a talent and leadership point of view. We understand where we're at as a group, we're rebuilding our group, we need to add some guys in the middle tier to support our young group."

On Jack Graham: "We've got a number of players that we're speaking to. A bit of a wait and see on that one as well. We'll talk to a number of guys."

On Shai Bolton: "I think it will be difficult for anybody, really. He's heavily contracted and a high quality player."

On James Peatling: "He's heavily involved in a finals series at the moment so I don't want to comment too much on it, but I think there's a number of guys that have been playing really good footy this year that could suit what we do and what other clubs do. He's taken his footy to another level this year."

On Tom Barrass: "We've had an early discussion with Hawthorn about it, they understand where we're at. He's nominated Hawthorn as his ideal destination. We want what we think he's worth, as a genuine key back in the competition that can do what he can do. We're obviously mindful of getting an appropriate deal for West Coast."

On Tom Clurey: "Maybe (note: sounded very non enthused). We'd probably need some key back depth, whether that's through the draft or trade and free agency."

On Jack Darling: "We've had initial discussions with his management group about (moving). We're open to talking, as we are with all of our players, but Jack's contracted with us."

On Liam Ryan: "I expect him to be at West Coast next year, yes." (The most definitive answer of the day by a mile, a non-starter of a talking point.)

On out of contact players e.g. Rotham, Witherden, Jones: "We're still working through what it looks like from a list point of view, and how many selections we'll want to have, and players that may come in and potentially may go out. You might want to give a coach an opportunity to look at these guys."

On Harley Reid: "We've had discussions most of the year with his management group. I think it sits in a really good place. We're open to doing really whatever they want to do to be honest. We're really confident in building the right system around Harley, on and off field, to make sure that he's really comfortable, that he's going to play his best footy, and his long term future."

On Jake Waterman's new deal: "Yep, really close. We're working really closely with his management on that. I expect that we'll have something done pretty soon."

On Oscar Allen: "We've been talking with Oscar and his manager most of the year on that one. We're going through some stuff at the moment. I think we'll be ok with that one."

Past rumoured targets:

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm going to be picking alot of fights on bigfooty if I see our mids being pants downed by opposition mids while Tobie is skipping around in the half back line.

We draft Tobie pick 6. We play and train him in the guts day 1 or I'm going to throw hands.
Do you think the posters on here make the trading, drafting, training and selection decisions?

3. People are preemptively upset because no one from the club has come out and publically banged their chest about what they will/won't agree to

The upset isn't because of public club comments, or lack thereof (apart from some dumbass reactions to Clarke's innocuous press conference remarks), it's a preemptive reaction to the trades we're being told are actually going to go down. Just rumours, yes, but being delivered authoritatively and repeatedly and hence taken at face value. I'd love nothing more than for them to be proven false and my outrage unnecessary and silly.

Sometimes a good nights sleep and a dose of common sense can help in trade and draft season.

We have 5 major issues facing Pyke.
1. The men's list is in a poor state of affairs thanks to having gone and trying to back up after 2018. It did not eventuate however we were late by at least a season coming to the that conclusion. As such, the list has holes you could drive a Mac truck through. Good news, we started addressing it last year.

2. We have agreed to a cluster fcuk with the WAFL set up and thanks to King Nessie I, relationships had been strained and the WAFL clubs despised us. He has also not invested the personnel at the to address development. We have sucked in development for over 6 years. We really need an even playing field meaning the vAFL have got to abandon the VFL and structure up an AFL Reserves competition. That will cost the AFL big $$ and the only beneficiaries are the SA and WA meaning it is a low priority. So Woosher has been brought in to try to help and Pyke has at least started the WAFC discussions and get some focus on development (along with Hurn).

3.The Eagles women have had a pathetic start to the competition and I have a personal view that King Nessie I did not prioritise it soon enough. Playing at those crap spectator facilities at Lathlain Park is a major deterrent and not sure what will happen there (we probably need to work with the Dockers and WAFC to develop a boutique 20,000 stadium for WAFL and Women's football. At least Daisy is now on board (great appointment and look at the results).

4. Our men have been uncompetitive for too long. It will soon materially start to impact memberships, sponsorships and long term allegiances in kids growing up in WA. Successful clubs get the locals interested and Freo are playing better football and offering more hope. We need to rectify that and start rising up from the bottom of the ladder.

5. Harley. We have a generation talent and a group led by Noah Long called "Us Young Boys" that re offering hope. But the speed of the improvement will need addressing as the "complicated" Kane draft rules is really compromising us and the outcome is that it is slower for clubs to rise off the bottom. Finishing last in 2023 our first 2 natural picks were at 1 and 30 and not much will change in 2024. Therefore, we need to get Harley really engaged in our programme and be wanting to commit. He needs help with mature bodies in the midfield and Yeo, Sheed and Kelly are not the answer.

Stepping back, if we only trade out Barrass and Darling, we take to the draft 3, 14, 26, 63 and 68 (assuming our sweetener for the Barrass trade is in 2025).

Pick who you want at those levels but a reasonable haul would be
3 - FOS or Draper or Lalor
14 - Lindsay or Berry or Allan
26 - Moraes or Gross or O'Farrell
(please do not come back with who you personally would take, you are missing the point)

If eaglevision has the correct intel (and half the posters are starting to wet the bed), we do the following
3 for 6 and 18
14 for Baker and 24
Barrass for 14 and F2

We take to the draft
6 - Travaglia or a sliding mid like Lalor or Draper or Smillie
18 - Hynes or Lindsay
24 - Gross or Oliver
26 - Moraes or Gross or O'Farrell
plus we bring in Baker and Graham to help give us a more competitive unit and to provide Harley with the midfield support we need.

Step back. Take a cold shower and reflect. We improve our list immediately and for the long term. We also strengthened our future hand. It is a decent outcome. Maybe not what everyone wants but it will fix a number of issues Pyke and co are facing and we are getting frustrated at.

Would I prefer Lindsay to Baker plus Gross/Oliver? Yes but not by that much of a margin.

Here is a possible list by age by position: -

View attachment 2137080
It will mean in 2025 :

1. Harley gets less banged up and can reduce his midfield minutes to be the burst player who runs through the guts.
  2. We will still have 55% of our list 22 and under which is extremely high
  3. We will be able to go to Optus and not have our ar$eholes handed at the end of the second quarter. We may even win 6 games and start to get a game plan that is contemporary.
  4. We may start to look at the WAFL games and not cringe

If Baker and Graham were sliding into the the 25 yr bracket then happy days.

Both being in the 27 yr age group is super meh, particularly if anything good is given away for Baker (14, with 24 coming back - nah).

AFL House
@AFL_House
·
1m

Paperwork approved. The West Coast Eagles have traded Jack Darling and their Future Round 2 selection to North Melbourne for their current selection 14 and Jack Darling.

What does that have to do with it? The Baker trade also involves 14, though, which is functionally our entire compensation for Barrass.

A future second from Hawthorn is pretty negligible in the equation; given what's been said about next year's draft it'll likely be pick 40+.

So we're turning Tom Barrass, pick 3 and pick 14 into Baker, 6, 18 and 24.

It's absolutely awful.

You can’t say we’re turning Barrass, 3 and 14 into whatever because we don’t get 14 until we trade Barrass. So it’s actually Barrass and 3 into Baker,6,18 and 24.

The 3 trades being mooted are

Barrass for 14,F2
14 for Baker, 24
3 for 6,18

End result is
Out : Barrass, pick 3
In: Baker, 6,18,24,F2

That’s swapping Barrass for Baker whilst also generating 2xR1 and 2x R2 picks for the cost of pick 3

Every comment I’ve read about this draft speaks about its depth and evenness so clubs are chasing multiple picks or simply trying to get into R1 or R2 if they don’t have picks there.

Now F2 as the sweetener to 14 for Barrass is less than hoped. I’d prefer 33 or swapping our F2 for their F1. That said, if a bid for Banfield comes after our F2 in this instance we have Hawthorns F2 to cover a bid

Baker and 24 for 14 is probably fair. Bear in mind 24 is the first pick on night two and sometimes generates some pretty good offers. That we have 26 also means we can assess the likelihood of our preferred player at 24 sliding to 26 before accepting a trade. Or we may have 3 players considered relatively equal still on the board

As for 3 for 6 and 18. The broad consensus is very little separates the top 6 or 7 so the difference in the player available at 6 and whoever is at 3 is minimal. To slide back and get another player at 18 is understandable, albeit I’d rather have 14 than 18

Overall, the end result looks reasonably decent given the depth of the draft. It’s not a we hit the ball out of the park result, but nor is it a tear down the walls and set fire to the club scenario

Last edited:
It's fake. They got me too.
That's good to know.

HoneyBadger35, you know what to do

200w.gif

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm not an astute draft watcher but is there a huge gulf between 10 and 18 this year?

I do know the very top end does not have a Harley Reid type unequivocal number 1 by the Flemington straight.
The top end of this draft is really hard to judge.

• Tauru was late R2 earlier this year, now he's in contention for top 10 or even top 5.
  • Lalor was rated about pick 10, now he might go pick 1.
  • Some people have Smillie, Draper or M Reid outside the top 10.

I also reckon there are some serious talents that will go well outside the first round.

Still, earlier picks have more options.

If @eaglevision has the correct intel (and half the posters are starting to wet the bed), we do the following
3 for 6 and 18
14 for Baker and 24
Barrass for 14 and F2
The 14 Baker and 24 was Richmond also getting band 3 Graham compo and 3 for 6 ,18 is what was being discussed but obviously two other trades not involving us would need to go through. Glass half full the positive is that we’d get Travaglia.

I'm going to be picking alot of fights on bigfooty if I see our mids being pants downed by opposition mids while Tobie is skipping around in the half back line.

We draft Tobie pick 6. We play and train him in the guts day 1 or I'm going to throw hands.
This insight into you goes a long way to understanding your posts and reactions.

If Tobie is to train to play in the guts immediately, you do realise that would be in WAFL. To play in the guts in the AFL games he needs an AFL body. He is a couple of pre-seasons away from that. Tobie has the endurance levels to match it but against

You do realise that some of the top talents like Warner, Day, Rozee, Butters, Sheezel, Young, Daicos, to name a few all started on a flank because they did not have the physical presence to be in the guts!!!

Harley is the exception in that he has the core strength to play in the guts (albeit lacking in endurance).

How about you relax and understand what development might look like. We have not had great development in the last 6 years so it may be new to you.

The 14 Baker and 24 was Richmond also getting band 3 Graham compo and 3 for 6 ,18 is what was being discussed but obviously two other trades not involving us would need to go through. Glass half full the positive is that we’d get Travaglia.

That's interesting and seems more in line with the 'wait and see' response I got. Maybe we're now having to throw something else in to get 24 coming back our way.

You can’t say we’re turning Barrass, 3 and 14 into whatever because we don’t get 14 until we trade Barrass

The 3 trades being mooted are

Barrass for 14,F2
14 for Baker, 24
3 for 6,18

End result is
Out : Barrass, pick 3
In: Baker, 6,18,24,F2

That’s swapping Barrass for Baker whilst also generating 2xR1 and 2x R2 picks for the cost of pick 3

Every comment I’ve read about this draft speaks about its depth and evenness so clubs are chasing multiple picks or simply trying to get into R1 or R2 if they don’t have picks there.

Now F2 as the sweetener to 14 for Barrass is less than hoped. I’d prefer 33 or swapping our F2 for their F1. That said, if a bid for Banfield comes after our F2 in this instance we have Hawthorns F2 to cover a bid

Baker and 24 for 14 is probably fair. Bear in mind 24 is the first pick on night two and sometimes generates some pretty good offers. That we have 26 also means we can assess the likelihood of our preferred player at 24 sliding to 26 before accepting a trade. Or we may have 3 players considered relatively equal still on the board

As for 3 for 6 and 18. The broad consensus is very little separates the top 6 or 7 so the difference in the player available at 6 and whoever is at 3 is minimal. To slide back and get another player at 18 is understandable, albeit I’d rather have 14 than 18

Overall, the end result looks reasonably decent given the depth of the draft. It’s not a we hit the ball out of the park result, but nor is it a tear down the walls and set fire to the club scenario

I’m sorry, but 3,14 and Barrass is a hell of a lot better than 6,18,24 and Baker to me.

Days ago we were mostly all saying Barrass and a F2 for 14 and a F1, now we’re just settling for 14 and scraps

We’re also seemingly trying to justify 14 for Baker because we might get a pick back (which will end up in the 30’s btw)

14 is the sweet spot of this draft, someone great is going to slide and guys like Hotton, Lindsay, Trainor and Allan could be there too.

Seems like we always try and talk ourselves into being content when deep down we know our club settles way too much.

That's interesting and seems more in line with the 'wait and see' response I got. Maybe we're now having to throw something else in to get 24 coming back our way.
It might just be 32 coming our way instead of 24 in that case. Ending up with 6, 18, 26 and 32.

This insight into you goes a long way to understanding your posts and reactions.

If Tobie is to train to play in the guts immediately, you do realise that would be in WAFL. To play in the guts in the AFL games he needs an AFL body. He is a couple of pre-seasons away from that. Tobie has the endurance levels to match it but against

You do realise that some of the top talents like Warner, Day, Rozee, Butters, Sheezel, Young, Daicos, to name a few all started on a flank because they did not have the physical presence to be in the guts!!!

Harley is the exception in that he has the core strength to play in the guts (albeit lacking in endurance).

How about you relax and understand what development might look like. We have not had great development in the last 6 years so it may be new to you.
100%

Will Day come on down.

1728534231181.png

Played how many seasons at half back before transitioning into the midfield this season?

Can see Toby taking a very similar route.

You know who wouldn't need to play in other positions day 1? Sid Draper and Harvey Langford. Jagga also wouldn't be plonked in another position day 1

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back