List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links

Latest news and rumours

Done deals:

• Zane Trew, Jamaine Jones and Jordyn Baker delisted

Ongoing discussions:

• List Manager Matt Clarke appeared on Sept 11 Gettable - Click spoiler below for summary
    On the draft: "We predicted that the draft was strong, but it's probably gotten stronger during the year."

On top end of draft: "You could probably make five or six different choices and get it right."

On Pick 3: "I reckon there's five (players) around that mark."

On splitting: "I think you want to hold an early selection if you can. The depth of this group allows you to maybe have some movement there, and see what you can do to bring in more talent in the first 20-25 picks. Easier said than done, and I think most clubs would be saying the same thing. We'll see what we can do."

On Liam Baker: "He's still yet to make a decision. They're still weighing up a few things. We'd love to get Liam on board from what he offers from a talent and leadership point of view. We understand where we're at as a group, we're rebuilding our group, we need to add some guys in the middle tier to support our young group."

On Jack Graham: "We've got a number of players that we're speaking to. A bit of a wait and see on that one as well. We'll talk to a number of guys."

On Shai Bolton: "I think it will be difficult for anybody, really. He's heavily contracted and a high quality player."

On James Peatling: "He's heavily involved in a finals series at the moment so I don't want to comment too much on it, but I think there's a number of guys that have been playing really good footy this year that could suit what we do and what other clubs do. He's taken his footy to another level this year."

On Tom Barrass: "We've had an early discussion with Hawthorn about it, they understand where we're at. He's nominated Hawthorn as his ideal destination. We want what we think he's worth, as a genuine key back in the competition that can do what he can do. We're obviously mindful of getting an appropriate deal for West Coast."

On Tom Clurey: "Maybe (note: sounded very non enthused). We'd probably need some key back depth, whether that's through the draft or trade and free agency."

On Jack Darling: "We've had initial discussions with his management group about (moving). We're open to talking, as we are with all of our players, but Jack's contracted with us."

On Liam Ryan: "I expect him to be at West Coast next year, yes." (The most definitive answer of the day by a mile, a non-starter of a talking point.)

On out of contact players e.g. Rotham, Witherden, Jones: "We're still working through what it looks like from a list point of view, and how many selections we'll want to have, and players that may come in and potentially may go out. You might want to give a coach an opportunity to look at these guys."

On Harley Reid: "We've had discussions most of the year with his management group. I think it sits in a really good place. We're open to doing really whatever they want to do to be honest. We're really confident in building the right system around Harley, on and off field, to make sure that he's really comfortable, that he's going to play his best footy, and his long term future."

On Jake Waterman's new deal: "Yep, really close. We're working really closely with his management on that. I expect that we'll have something done pretty soon."

On Oscar Allen: "We've been talking with Oscar and his manager most of the year on that one. We're going through some stuff at the moment. I think we'll be ok with that one."

Past rumoured targets:

Last edited by a moderator:
I still think Barrass will get to the Hawks for their two first rounders next year, then one will get offloaded to Richmond for Baker. Which is literally the reason why they want two first rounders. One for draft, one for Richmond. It's just the gamble on which one you give them.

Soo... the state of play at the end of the first week of trade week period

Nothing happened.
George Costanza Seinfeld GIF

We should have taken pick 14 and used it in this year's draft. Forget Baker. We need elite young talent. Hopefully it works out but if we go another year of holding old players with draft capital then we're never going to regenerate.

We should have taken pick 14 and used it in this year's draft. Forget Baker. We need elite young talent. Hopefully it works out but if we go another year of holding old players with draft capital then we're never going to regenerate.
We aren't doing that so forget about it. Pick 14 was going to Baker.

So it's either trade barrass for baker or not.

I prefer to salt the earth as opposed to trading TB for Baker

I still think Barrass will get to the Hawks for their two first rounders next year, then one will get offloaded to Richmond for Baker. Which is literally the reason why they want two first rounders. One for draft, one for Richmond. It's just the gamble on which one you give them.
Would Sydney accept our F1 and Carlton’s for Warner? Would still leave us with 3 and Hawks F1 which isn’t terrible.

He is dead set the biggest flog of trade period so far. As if Baker and his management after one trade are shitting the bed looking for an exit strategy to Freo. He’s a liar. I thought no one would ever dislodge Sam McClure from #1 but he is getting very close.
Ralph was trying to claim that the Eagles promised Baker we would pay a pick between 15-20 for him.

I find it hard to believe the club would be promising a pick we don’t even hold to a potential player.

I could believe that we were intending to do what we could to facilitate a trade or would offer a fair deal to the tigers.

I call bullshit on Ralph.

Had Hawthorn’s proposed trade been accepted by us they would have been left with their F1 and our F3

So we’ll take the Carlton F1 and F2 plus Hawthorn’s F2 and hand back our F3. Leaving Hawthorn with their F1 and our F3

Hawthorn are no worse off

Had Hawthorn accepted our proposal we’d have pick 14 and their F2 whilst retaining our own F3

Instead, per the above we would hold -

Carlton’s F1 (instead of 14) and Carlton’s F2 (instead of our F3). We have Hawthorn’s F2 in both scenarios

Give Richmond the Carlton F1 for Baker rather than 14

We’re in the same spot except we hold Carlton’s F2 instead of our F3

I think the media narrative that Hawthorn got impatient is wrong and that instead we’ve forced them to find a way to improve their offer which they are now capable of doing

It’ll be interesting how this plays out over the weekend

(Log in to remove this ad.)

TB is better than Battle. So we go to Saints and ask for the Battle compo pick.

We get an upgrade on the Hawks #14. Saints get a better player for nothing.

TB would be a good fit for StK alongside Howard and Wilkie .. Ross the boss wouldn’t say no to that deal ..

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I think the media narrative that Hawthorn got impatient is wrong and that instead we’ve forced them to find a way to improve their offer which they are now capable of doing

Yeah agree, I think this part is quite blatantly obvious too to anyone with half a braincell to he honest

Hawks aren't just walking away from a guy who they've courted for a few months and convinced to come over, and who could very well make them legit contenders, over a future 3rd round pick

Had Hawthorn’s proposed trade been accepted by us they would have been left with their F1 and our F3

So we’ll take the Carlton F1 and F2 plus Hawthorn’s F2 and hand back our F3. Leaving Hawthorn with their F1 and our F3

Hawthorn are no worse off

Had Hawthorn accepted our proposal we’d have pick 14 and their F2 whilst retaining our own F3

Instead, per the above we would hold -

Carlton’s F1 (instead of 14) and Carlton’s F2 (instead of our F3). We have Hawthorn’s F2 in both scenarios

Give Richmond the Carlton F1 for Baker rather than 14

We’re in the same spot except we hold Carlton’s F2 instead of our F3

It’ll be interesting how this plays out over the weekend
I had been thinking the same thing but in a different order. I.e. we could've accepted the Hawks offer but then done the same deal they did with Carlton for 14

Leaving us with:
Out: Barrass, F3
In: Car F1, Haw F2, Car F2

Car F1 goes to Richmond for Baker. We get 2 F2s, give up our F3.

Trade back into this year's draft with the 2 x F2s. Or hold them for Banners, Walley

View attachment 2138718

Titch 21, Fyfe 20, Neale 58, Wines 7, Crippa 13.

I’m all for good picks but it’s a particularly even draft and if we can turn 3 into near on two top 10s I’m all for it this time around
And most of those players aren't fast or agile. But they are tough contested and pure footballers. We should take Langford if he slides.

It’s gotta be Hawthorn’s F1.

They did amazing this year - really jumped up and surprised a lot of people. Finished 6th, won a final. Great stuff.

Look at their list and tell me where their rock solid A grade players are - and even the next step up - who are their absolute Elite players?

James Sicily has been a very good player - a top 10 defender in the league.

Jai Newcombe is a good player - he’s what…a top 20 mid?

They’ll keep getting better over time I’m sure - but I don’t think they are a guarantee to now take a step up to be a contender - Josh Battle (so?) and Tom Barrass or not.

But hey, I might be wrong, there is a first time for everything right?

Well, well.

Three clubs shat the bed today - and West Coast wasn't one of them. Perhaps things are starting to turn after all.

Carlton are still living in the hope that getting D.Houston will somehow paper over the cracks and make them contenders.

The reality is they lost 7 of their last 9 matches to finish their season. A salary cap at its limits, players are being forced out, and talent under the age of 22 very thin. Their squad is on track to be weaker in 2025 than it was this year.

But apparently signing up a half-back flanker will make all the difference. The fact they don't have cap space for the player doesn't appear to be a barrier either - they are convinced that offering a very high pick, the kind that can deliver S.Draper, will persuade Port to keep paying for his contract after he leaves.

Problem is, they can't get that pick.

Aside from an F2 tied to Brisbane, they've expended all the pick currency they have. Even with that included, 12 + 14 + F2(40*) is not going to move a top 3 pick this year.

The assumption that a couple of middling first round picks equates to top 3 because of points values is laughable.

They have effectively given away a second round pick to deliver an aborted result. Now they will be caught between rebuilding and retreading - not good enough to compete, but too good to bottom out. An irrelevant existence much like Essendon and St Kilda awaits them.

Hawthorn showed their hand today and it reeked of desperation.

B.Smith - missed
H.Perryman - missed

J.Battle isn't going to turn them into a top four side.

S.Frost turns 32 next year. J.Sicily, K.Amon and J.Impey will each turn 30.

The Hawks know that if they want success, they have to go for it now before those players are crippled by time.

They have lined up T.Barrass since the start of the year, expecting it to be another piece that will just fall into place on the inevitable march to glory. It was so easy - so what if he's contracted if he wants to go to Box Hill? Just be thankful for the F3 that is coming with pick 14 and hurry along...

Faced with an unexpected standoff and the prospect of missing out on Barrass entirely, today Hawthorn blinked.

They traded away pick 14 for 2025 currency in a draft where almost every other club are doing the opposite.

The only reasonable scenario for that course of action in this draft, is to get Essendon's pick 9 or Gold Coast's pick 13. Presumably, a single pick upgrade isn't worth this level of effort, splitting and bargaining around, so I expect they're chasing the Bomber's pick.

A lot still to play out of course, but one thing is certain - Hawthorn will be back with an improved offer.

The Hawks aren't going to walk away; they need this deal if they want a shot at a premiership - they will be willing to pay overs to get it done.

If West Coast holds its ground, T.Barrass could end up going as high as 9 + F1 (or 13) for F2, which would be an exceptional outcome for the Eagles.

Should something like that occur, look out for a pick like 13 to be forwarded on to Sydney for 19 + 22, with one of those then offered to Richmond for L.Baker - if he isn't walked to the PSD.

Speaking of Richmond, they drank their own pick bathwater.

Picks 6, 10, 11, 13, 14, 18. All of these were coming to them as part of some higher ordained right to rebuild before Tasmania enters the competition.

It didn't matter if pick 20 cost four picks between 30 and 45 - the others would surely come because that's what is meant to happen.

Except they have been absolute campaigners, getting ahead of themselves and half of the competition has had enough of their antics already.

At least when Geelong play that game, quality is involved. The Tigers are holding up the whole trade period haggling over buckets of crap.

14 is gone; 13 also looking at the same fate. Surely Fremantle don't jump the shark and they keep hold of at least one of their first round picks.

That's likely down to 6, 10 and 18 to join their picks 1, 20 and 24. Still a very strong draft, but I'm sure those other picks that now won't be coming their way could have been gained had they been more accommodating and added those picks between 30 and 45 to prospective deals.

If they don't get those high picks, that rebuild is starting to look very cold, lonely and for a considerably extended period.

Too bad they traded out any good-will currency they had to help the Lions with their magic academy beans. :violin:

Kade herbert could be a rookie list midfield option, Sanfl under 18s numbers are good, league numbers what you expect from a kid. Was a "one to watch" 10 months ago, no idea why theyve gone cold

No. Absolutely no scenario where I'd trade out pick 3 for picks between 10-20
No deals with Carlton. Tell them to F.O. It's obvious what those slimeballs are after. They've already got Harley's girlfriend,
They use pick 3 to get Harleys friend FOS and in 2 years time they make a huge play for Harley.
They played the homesick card on Juddy when they poached him from us. They will do the same again.
If we do a pick split with Carlton then the whole list management team should be sacked immediately.
As for Barass trade him to St Kilda for pick 8. They end up with a defender that's a lot better than Battle who they got
pick 8 as compensation for him going to Hawthorn and it's basically a free pick.
Poor old Tom has been courted by Mitchell and then jilted when Hawthor dealt with Carlton for pick 14.

**** that ! First rounder this year or barrass stays .

Hawks job to get us the pick we want .

We are not being unreasonable hawks trying to get a contracted player for unders .

14 + future 3rd ? Get the **** out of here
The future first or first this year is nearly irrelevant for us because if we get one it’s on traded to Richmond anyway.

I don’t think the report on here was true that the deal was 14 for Baker and 24.

Eagles would’ve asked for a first and 2nd rounder for TB. Hawks would’ve argued 14 this year is worth that and we can split it. Problem is if we got 14 we wouldn’t have split it and handed it straight for Baker.

So Hawks split it and would now be saying here pick one of our future 1st and 2nds. I reckon we would be asking for a future 1st and 33.

if we did that trade I reckon the Hawks would be trying to get back into this first round with a future first and 2 x future 2nds.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back