List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links

Latest news and rumours

Done deals:

• Zane Trew, Jamaine Jones and Jordyn Baker delisted

Last edited by a moderator:
Correct, all they had to say was we will do our best to get you to our club as long as it fits into our rebuild plan.

That sounds like a luxury afforded to clubs in the top 4 who are a destination club. We're a rabble. We can't approach trade and FA in the same way because we need to beg players to join us at this point.

Take it easy old son, we have half a dozen on the park that aren't more than WAFL players- Baker etc are significant improvements on our best 22. Losing 3 for 12 is the issue.
Have you heard Pyke speak on the radio? He stated the reason the trade happened was to get draft capital for Baker. The fact the club is so desperate to bringing in a B grader that is 27 next season is embarrassing at best.

We have no clue as a club when to walk away. We did the exact same thing with Kelly (this is much much worse.)

We were confident of getting Warner this year if Swans won the premiership, I alluded to it before but industry sources told me Warner was a player Simmo was talking about who wanted to come and play with Reid.

We'll be heavily into Warner next year and we still have the 2025/2026 picks required to get this done.

The most craven act of list bastardry in our history. All of these newly appointed w***ers banking on improved performance next year and to hell with what comes after. It will work too and people will be too stupid to recognise it as a false dawn.

We'll definitely win 5-10 games next year... and thats about our ceiling for as far as the eye can see. The last 5 years has been an absolute crime scene of long term list planning strategy. Instead of bottoming out and picking up 5 or more elite teenagers you need to push for flags we will end 2024 with one.

Last edited:
I assume the thought process is after Hawks traded out pick 14 and grabbed 2 x R1 next year, we decided we couldn't get what we wanted this year from them and made the call for short term pain/long term gain by splitting the pick with Carlton and getting Baker. Now we go back to the Hawks and get their picks from next year for Barrass and we use them for Warner next year.

I absolutely hate the trade for the record

But I do see the logic in thought process that it could be for Warner

Instead of the Barrass picks essentially going to Richmond for Baker, we slid 9 spots to end up with extra future picks (whatever they end up as)

It’s a draft pick at the end of the day. I try hard not to fixate on picks and the like for this reason… A bad (very) deal yes… but we’ll see what comes of the rest of post season. Still energised by the prospect next year, new coach, a few new players, hopeful further improvement into young ones and we’ll see what happens :)
Literally only one of the three players is a guaranteed AFL quality player hahaha

How exactly does this trade improve (or even change) our position to get Warner next year ?
We didn't get any picks for next year.
All the top picks are midfielders... We already have Reid and if we're getting Warner next year, more important to improve the list with talent and depth than another top pick who may take a few years to develop.

(Not sure I agree with this, but I guess we've got to hope for something given this current debacle).

It is these types of decisions why I handed in 4 memberships of 27 years 4 years ago. Now of course the club didn't give a crap I gave up my memberships but I simply refused to give money to the club anymore.
I am not suggesting others should do this but you are right that we should be upset with this trade.

Funny you say that because the very same discussions have been had within my family this morning after being feed the turd 💩 sandwich earlier this morning, with what the Club cooked up with the Baker trade.

Adults were ready to walk but the kids and grandkids, want us to keep the seats.

I have pumped over 50K into this Club over the years and yes, I have got a lot of enjoyment from the Club.
But if I am being honest with you right now, the poor decisions and lack of a vision to get us out of the mire is seriously questioning why I should keep financially supporting the Club.

I was impressed with the start Pyke had made, however this trade week has severely undermined my confidence is his ability to turn us around, as quickly as is going to be necessary before we get snookered in the corner pocket of sustained mediocrity for a decade, when Tasmania come in.

My biggest fear for our list is this, we don’t move the needle anywhere far enough in the next two seasons, to convince HR9 to sign on for another contract.
Lord know all the big VIC Clubs will be fighting for his signature.

I worry because not only is he our best young player, but he is also the franchise marketing pin up boy, that’s necessary to help underpin a teams success and become a destination Club.

We had an opportunity to pair him with a potential A grade midfielder for the next decade, except we traded that pick out for a B grade utility player.

If The Club wants to keep the fans and members engaged in times of poor on field performances, you need to sell them hope.

And it is something the recruiter have just failed to deliver, to us by trading out pick 3.

But without hope, it’s hard to stay upbeat and optimistic.

Last edited:
Old mate's defence: Nah you don't want a player in the top 5, Pick 12 or whatever the **** it ends up being, that's the REAL sweet spot. Like Duggan, Venables, Chesser and Brander.
Yeah it's not like we've been cleaning up in the draft.

We only nailed last year because we had the first pick and it was incredibly obvious who to select.

Hell, there were rumours we were considering splitting the pick so we might have even ****ed that up. I think we have too much confidence in our talent scouts and recruiting team, because they have hardly done wonders.

Last edited:
I absolutely hate the trade for the record

But I do see the logic in thought process that it could be for Warner

Instead of the Barrass picks essentially going to Richmond for Baker, we slid 9 spots to end up with extra future picks (whatever they end up as)

Yep completely with you.

I think I said as much last night when the trade started getting chatter that this is what I thought it was all about, and that whether true or not it's some delicious tasting copium at least.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Funny you say that because the very same discussions have been had within my family this morning after being feed the turd 💩 sandwich earlier this morning, with what the Club cooked up with the Baker trade.

Adults were ready to walk but the kids and grandkids, want us to keep the seats.

I have pumped over 50K into this Club over the years and yes, I have got a lot of enjoyment from the Club.
But if I am being honest with you right now, the poor decisions and lack of a vision to get us out of the mire is seriously questioning why I should keep financially supporting the Club.

I was impressed with the start Pyke had made, however this trade week has severely undermined my confidence is his ability to turn us around, as quickly as is going to be necessary before we get snookered in the corner pocket of sustained mediocrity for a decade, when Tasmania come in.

My biggest fear for our list is this, we don’t move the needle anywhere far enough in the next two seasons, to convince HR9 to sign on for another contract.

I worry because not only is he our best young player, but he is also the franchise marketing pin up boy, that’s necessary to help underpin a teams success and become a destination Club.

We had an opportunity to pair him with a potential A grade midfielder for the next decade, except we traded that pick out for a B grade utility player.

If The Club wants to keep the fans and members engaged in times of poor on field performances, you need to sell them hope.

And it is something the recruiter have just failed to deliver, to by trading out pick 3.

But without hope, it’s hard to stay upbeat and optimistic.
It only makes sense if Warner is coming next year... He's then the other A-grade talent and we're trying to improve the list around them.

Isn't this what we've done though? Added 3 back of prime players to move the needle in the next 2 years.

The Vic media gaslighting is a beauty when talking the trade from WCE perspective.

"It's a deep draft"

"WCE will get a great talent at 12"

"Such even talent it was a good move"

Then, they switch to Carlton

"Next up, let's discuss the elite top end talent Carlton has just traded access to............"

So the elephant in the room.

Do you rate Baker ?
Are you happy that we gave up 14 for
him?

I actually already know the answer to one of these questions. Just wondering if you will share your thought on both ?

Baker for 14.
That’s the bit that is pissing 😡 😤 😠 most of us off.

Until I see IF AND WHAT we get for Barrass, naively hoping for some more positivity , until then I remain despondent and disappointed, to what we have done this trade period.

Pretty inauspicious start to being List Manager from Clarke IMO.

Oh and another point:

So the Club has been big on its commitment to Baker.

Just wondering where it sits on it’s commitment to its members and fan.

Because I am not see it, with what they have served us up.

No i'm not happy with Baker for 14. You know that. People also know my opinions on baker.

The club and Richmond have also been ****ed over by the AFL here. That and we were supposed to have future trading 2 years in advance.

Both clubs would have been happy with an extra 200k per year on Graham's contract. Richmond were told it wasn't going to improve their FA pick to tier 3. It was supposed to be Tier 3 compo and our second round pick and the club ended up with both players.

Now that goes through and I think people would be happy with that. Would people still be pissy about pick 12 and 14 for pick 3 in this draft? I don't think so. I would be as pick 14 is 1 pick too late imo. Thanks AFL for sucking st kilda's dick.

I'm pretty sure people can guess who I don't get along with, who is making the largest part of these decisions and it's not myself and who made commitments early when they shouldn't have.

I think people also need to understand just how hard it is to get senior bodies to come to a club deep in the shit and thousands of kilometres away and it has had a major influence on decisions made. You also have to get the players to agree to come to the club. Carlton were always going to offer Owies a contract, it just would have been well unders so no, the club couldn't have taken him as a DFA and with all the smalls Richmond are losing, yes they would have had interest for free in the PSD.

People have seen lots of young highly talented players bodies destroyed by being thrown in the deep end too early at Victorian clubs. Add travel to that and I think people can begin to understand the club just can't select top tier talent and throw it to the wolves.

I'm emotional and pissed off myself, but I really am already pushing the envelope of what I can say already. I may have to come back in here and delete shit again as it is.

Oh and lastly. Yes Freo offered 10,11,18 for Baker and Bolton. Freo so far have stuck to 10 and 18 on Bolton. Now if an easy deal is on the table for 2 players who want to leave back to WA that gets Richmond pretty much everything they want people can guess the reason why those 2 aren't both at Freo.

Apologies I had a lot more written but had to delete.

We were confident of getting Warner this year if Swans won the premiership, I alluded to it before but industry sources told me Warner was a player Simmo was talking about who wanted to come and play with Reid.

We'll be heavily into Warner next year and we still have the 2025/2026 picks required to get this done.
Industry sources has cooked me 😂

Four picks inside 30 was our strategy.

We just walked away from that strategy to make Baker feel OK about leaving his old club.

Is this modern wokism worming its way into trade period? We now have to consider the feelings of the poor, poor player who is leaving the club he was drafted by and walking to get a lucrative contract?

So much for asking players to develop a hard edge when the club acts like marshmallows with opposition clubs.
Wokeism, WTF is that?

Chill out boomer, that is simply PR spin.

The people involved probably thought it was better to make a bad trade than look like they can't make trades happen at all. Basically prioritising looking decisive and seen to be doing things, over actually making calculated beneficial decisions.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back