List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Whose future picks would you have preferred?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links

Trade period
In: 12, F1, F2, F3, 73, Baker, Owies, Graham*
Out: 3, 63, F4, Barrass, Darling

*Free agent

Done deals

• Zane Trew, Jamaine Jones and Jordyn Baker delisted

Last edited by a moderator:
We need a separate thread for the negative nancies to go whinge in and a thread for those that are sick of reading their whining
Thank god someone said it...absolutely! Bedwetting gone to another level. I think a lot of people need to calm the farm down, talk about mass hysteria.

Looking forward to the preseason and the new players and new team and tactics under the new coach. Also looking forward to our young ones further progress and development. Presuming the lynch mob haven't taken out the coach, Pyke and Clarke before then?

][emoji[emoji6][emoji6]][emoji[emoji6]]" data-quote="Elite Pete" data-source="post: 0" class="bbCodeBlock bbCodeBlock--expandable bbCodeBlock--quote js-expandWatch">
Baker and Bolton looked liked they got along at the BnF.

Don’t think that info is correct at all

Look only Kerr and cousins or chick and employ can get away with boxing on with team mates …. Or Richard Taylor and Phil matera

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

From our last game dewar
Lol no.

Dewar starts R1 next year. No ifs or buts.

If they want to fit Owies in, it has to be at the expense of Cripps for me.

Picking both and leaving out a developing player would be a real early red flag for Mini.

Last edited:

We need to turn over far more than 12, 26 and champion

What do you mean? We also bought in 3 players so drafting 3 means we've turned over 6. Delisted 3, traded darling retired gaff...

Like I said happy for us to chase another first round pick if we've worded up Richmond prior to paying overs for Baker.

Personally, I'd take 3 or 4 in this draft less concerned on whether it is 3 or 4, depends who we pick.

Delist Witherden and Culley, both too slow for me to see being of any use to the McWalter game style.

Give Ledwards and Rotham 1 year deals, both can be delisted next year to go along with Cripps retirement to ensure we turn over our minimum 3 players. Both I think will suit the McWalter running game, as depth options at least.

Upgrade Hutchinson to the main list. Projects as best 22 for me next year and I hate this nonsense clubs do trying to nickel and dime players getting AFL games by holding them on the rookie list. Have we upgraded Maric yet for that matter? Assuming he is main list by this point too.

Burgeiel is the guy in limbo, if we can't generate an extra pick this year he stays, if we trade back in he goes.

I don't remember McRae bringing Richmond players over when he went to Collingwood...nor Kingsley to GWS. Could be wrong but either way they didn't do it at the expense of the new club they were coaching.

Well, to be fair I don't remember saying it's the case everytime either. 🤷‍♂️

People in the Industry are not calling it, or making it out to be a super draft, the point of difference in this draft, is that its a DEEP DRAFT....... not super ....... deep.

For what it's worth I would not take anyone in this draft, before five players from last years draft, had they been in the same draft:

Reid H
Walters
McKercher
Sanders
Duursma

Last years 16 -17 draft picks:

16. Green
17. Leake
18. Wilson
19. McCabe
20. Goad

I would have none of them in this years top 25.

For what it's worth I am thrilled that we have more draft capital to take into the 2025 draft.
Now whether we keep that capital or trade it back into this years draft to improve the 2024 hand remains to be seen.

There is some very good top end talent in the next draft, is it deep ?????? It's too early to tell, but I would be surprised if it's as deep as this draft.

Furthermore there are some very good WA kids in next year cohort and two of them are West Coast NGA kids and one is a West Coast father son.

Watch out for this name Freddy Rodriguez from South Fremantle 185 cm 85 kg midfielder with elite foot skills, he is right footed, but watching him play you wouldn't know that by the way he plays as he has sublime skills of either foot.

Kid is going to be a Gun, I think he will be the first WA kid drafted next year.
I'm not much of a draft watcher but from the snippets I've seen I think you're right. Smith goes 5 at best and arguably 6.

Failed trade period imo from what we know atm.

Midfield in urgent need of attention and didn’t get enough talent as genuine mids.
We don’t need to bring in kids for 2026, they are need asap.

Paid overs for Baker
Gotta a fair price for TB and Darling.
Unders for pick 3.

See what they do with pick swaps ect. Need to hit that pick. In a draft everyone is saying you can’t miss.

I can’t say too much, have to keep things pretty close to my chest because it’s very easy to trace this stuff, but here’s a blow by blow of every moment of the trade period, and an inside look at the relationships that will run WA football for the next half decade.

PS my boss is a campaigner.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I can’t see why people are melting with a Full Draft Hand for Barrass. (4th Rounder’s will be pretty worthless next year)

If those 3 picks in theory net us Warner for Barrass would you call that a win?

I was actually talking to my wife about instant gratification this morning and I think it’s on full show. People just don’t want to wait, they want there shiny new toy now.

If that shiny new toy is Warner in a year well I don’t think people will be melting then. (He’s will also be cheap seeing as he’s OOC)
I don't get this obsession with Warner. If we trade all our picks next year and we know we will pay both our first rounds and probably a 2nd round for him. That's not a smart list build strategy. We aren't in the position to be trading in stars at the expense of the draft. Unless Harley, Ginbey and Hewitt absolutely take off next year and all three look like becoming AA material (Harley clearly projecting) Warner is not the magic bullet. The Blues got Judd after years of no 1 picks and still didn't go all the way. One player isn't the answer

This was quite obviously the worst trade period in wce's history. I don't think this is up for debate. Can it be salvaged? Will purely be luck from here on out. I wish we had more competent people but this happens when you don't allow external reviews to occur.

So what is our best 22 for next year?

FB: Duggan, Edwards, Hough
HB: Ginbey, Gov, Baker
C: Hunt, Yeo, Hewett
HF: Graham, Allen, Cripps
FF: Owies, Waterman, Ryan
FOL: Flynn? Kelly, Reid

IC: Long, Cole?, JWilliams, Pick 12

EMG: Hutchinson, HJohnston, Bazzo, Chesser, Maric
Dewar starts R1.

He's earned the spot and we should prioritise his development.

Looking forward to cooling down over the next few days but i have this sick feeling that as soon as I’m about to the clubs going to re-sign rotham
It's not going to go away that easy. It's sort of like the time spent on remand in between getting nicked and the trial. You just don't know what's going to happen, but you know it's probably not going to be any good. We've all been there.

It'll be depressing reading to list the draft picks we've taken to the draft since 2021 when we first missed finals.

Do other clubs split picks as much as we do? For no return?

There seems to be hand-wringing every year about the top few draft prospects being "flight risks" (because most are Victorian) despite us having the best player retention record in the league.

Hence the justification for splitting picks every year. Comes across as weak and a losing mentality imo. Particularly with so many top draft picks (Daicos, Sheezel etc.) being awesome from year 1 these days.

Twice in three years when we've split picks we've had these morons front the media mumbling some shit about the top 20 being all about the same. Have a look at our top five drafting history, its a who's who of club if not AFL legends. It's an absolute cop out and indictment on your ability to identify talent when you spout that crap.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Back