List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Whose future picks would you have preferred?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links

Trade period
In: 12, F1, F2, F3, 73, Baker, Owies, Graham*
Out: 3, 63, F4, Barrass, Darling

*Free agent

Done deals

• Zane Trew, Jamaine Jones and Jordyn Baker delisted

Last edited by a moderator:

I’m not sensing any vomit of blood this morning. Maybe the protesters have their swags set up at the front of Eagle headquarters, and there’s nowhere to charge their phones.
Nah as tiring as it might be listening to bed wetters like myself the feeling is reciprocal and most of us know if we speak up we'll have to listen to you talk again as well... so you know, double edged sword and all that. ;)

I think given that once again we have refused to address the barren wasteland that is the midfield with more top end talent then we need to look inward to try and find support for Reid.

Hewett spends the preseason training purely as a mid and improves his tank to play as a fulltime onballer
Long transitions to be that skillful midget midfielder - get him to watch Lachie Neale tapes. Dewar/Owies can fill his small forward spot
Hutchinson works on being a mid/fwd with lots of minutes on ball
Get Chesser off the gimp wing and try him on ball for full games in the WAFL first
Pick 3 Pick 12 needs to be a midfielder. Not a flanker who projects as maybe being a midfielder.

Hopefully one at least or maybe two of those work out.

I know its early but what ranges are Banfield, Wally and Evans expected to land?
Hopefully we do the Sydney academy approach and once they have shown enough they have "injuries" and are held out in an attempt to reduce their value (and prepare them for the following year) with the promise made we'll take them.

You're set for tall forwards, not sure you're set for tall defenders after McGovern. In the midfield you've only got Harley. None of your other recent mid draftees have shown much, either due to injury or really belong in another position.
fuck you aaron taylor-johnson GIF

Its all done and dusted now.

We're kind of pinning our hopes of our existing kids coming on

Prior to the recent older acquisitions, were we really that young?

We have a couple of past their prime guns, a couple of really average middle aged players. Waterman woth the breakout year...then a couple of kids.

Really looking forward to the development of Clay Hall under a new coach too, he’s a good size and showed a bit, if not for the injury right before the start of the season he might have played a few more games.
Plenty to look forward to there.
Archer Reid played some good games at WAFL level after missing the 1st half of the season with injury.
Basso missed an entire year, he’ll be looking to cement a spot in the team.
Long to return from missing the year, after a very impressive debut season.
Dewar looking to earn a spot.
Maric looks to be a very damaging player good height, very good kick, another year in the gym, and improved aerobic abilities and he could be anything.
Hutchings showed enough to think he could be a good player too.
Burgiel has been permanently injured so no idea there.
Hewett is a jet, just need to get him on the park.
Ginbey looks to be a natural HBF and will only improve.
Hough is a beauty, a very good draft pick by WC
Harley, well he’s Harley
Dewar showed some classy moments.
Barnett needs a kick up the ass!
All in all there’s quite a few kids there in that age bracket where we’d be expecting them to step up a bit.
I’m supremely optimistic about our future, I think the coaching and training standards were poor, and this is our time to reset.
Bring it on!

We probably want to hope Tigers don't trade out any of their 4 picks before us (unless it is to us).

They are at most are taking two mids you would think.

Saints and Dees also have multiple picks before us (and Dees need players everywhere other than midfield) so hard to see both taking four mids.

If that ends up being the case a highly rated mid should slide to 12.

We probably want to hope Tigers don't trade out any of their 4 picks before us (unless it is to us).

They are at most are taking two mids you would think.

Saints and Dees also have multiple picks before us (and Dees need players everywhere other than midfield) so hard to see both taking four mids.

If that ends up being the case a highly rated mid should slide to 12.
With Brayshaw leaving, Viney getting old and question marks over Petracca and Oliver, I feel like Melbourne will absolutely target mids.

They have Jefferson (not sure how he’s developing) as a KPF and a bunch of smaller forward types. Petty can go back once May/Mcdonald retire. Heaps of back flankers

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In his interview on 6PR, Matt Clarke said decisions will be made on uncontracted players over the next 48 hours

After trade period, we have 42 players on the list - 36 main, 4 rookie and 2 cat B and as it stands 3 usable draft picks - 12,26 and 73

So at least one more player needs to be delisted, most likely Rotham

Leaves Culley, Burgiel, Witherden and Luke Edwards without contracts and waiting on the club deciding on how many list spots to keep open for additional selections via one or more of the following:

• Using a future pick(s) to trade back into this draft for additional selection(s). At a minimum we should add at least one more pick
• Using a very late draft pick or a pick in the rookie draft where we’ll have pick 3
• Adding a player as a DFA - Clarke indicated we will be looking at who is available
• Looking at train on player(s) for a SSP pick

My order of delisting would be
1) Edwards
2) Witherden
3) Culley
4) Burgiel

I kinda hope Culley and Burgiel survive but reality is we may well have better options

The elephant in the room is Sheed. He can’t be delisted this year due to salary cap issues but if his latest foot/ankle operation isn’t successful such that he won’t be ready to play R1 next year then we should get him to retire. Then replace him with a train on player - we’ll have until January to make that decision
Best option is for sheed not to play. It'll only be for the beagles anyway and he's definitely not who you want setting an example. Guys like culley are who you want leading the 2nd unit

On SM-S921B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Assuming we delist Rotham and add the minimum 3 players from the draft then this would be our age profile based on players age at 1/1/25

Includes Witherden(26), Edwards(22), Culley(21) and Burgiel(20)

View attachment 2145198
And grouped into age brackets

View attachment 2145199

Can see why we wanted to add the likes of Baker(26), Graham(26) and Owies(27) to our list.

We skew very young

Could do with a couple of extra players in that 22-25 bracket maybe via DFA and/or SSP

Small point, but remember before the start of the season they are 27, 27 & 28.

So it’s working then, that’s good.👍
Yeah I don’t really know to be honest. Happy to take your word for it as I have the feeling you have some experience in this regard. I mean I’ve just replied to you twice now and I’m already feeling like I need a nap so I guess you’re correct?

Interesting to hear M. Clarke say it’s important what the newly signed players will bring on-field, but MORE IMPORTANTLY what they’ll bring off-field. Maybe a slip of the tongue.

I get training standards and all that but surely we recruited for game day performance first and foremost.
Maybe they've got amazing doggos. The dog beach run is pretty important

On SM-S921B using BigFooty.com mobile app

The players we got over the trade period would have been good if we had a chance of playing in a GF, but as we are in a rebuild and near the bottom of the ladder wasting picks on these players was madness.
Worried about Baker saying his old team needed to be compensated adequately, he should be letting the trading team work that out. So if they didnt get compensated adequately would he have stayed at Richmond.
That probably would have been a better outcome for WCE.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Back