List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Whose future picks would you have preferred?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links

Trade period
In: 12, F1, F2, F3, 73, Baker, Owies, Graham*
Out: 3, 63, F4, Barrass, Darling

*Free agent

Done deals

• Zane Trew, Jamaine Jones and Jordyn Baker delisted

Last edited by a moderator:
And if we hold pick 3 next yeat Swans will demand it.

Trade it and get another couple of 1st this year. Use Hawks F1st for Warner plus oir 2026 1st if need be.
Saints pick 8 and F2 for our F1

8 12 26

Another F2 to cover Banfield, WA acadamy kids or to auction off for the teams in need of points.

Crows pick 4 if they prefer that kid next year over Draper this year.

Tigers pick 6 and a F2.

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

I think given that once again we have refused to address the barren wasteland that is the midfield with more top end talent then we need to look inward to try and find support for Reid.

Hewett spends the preseason training purely as a mid and improves his tank to play as a fulltime onballer
Long transitions to be that skillful midget midfielder - get him to watch Lachie Neale tapes. Dewar/Owies can fill his small forward spot
Hutchinson works on being a mid/fwd with lots of minutes on ball
Get Chesser off the gimp wing and try him on ball for full games in the WAFL first
Pick 3 Pick 12 needs to be a midfielder. Not a flanker who projects as maybe being a midfielder.

Hopefully one at least or maybe two of those work out.

I reckon my (possibly misguided) big hope for next season is seeing Hutchinson run through the middle regularly after his 1st pre-season with us.

i am tempering that with the knowledge that it might take a couple of pre-seasons to get the tank big enough.

With Brayshaw leaving, Viney getting old and question marks over Petracca and Oliver, I feel like Melbourne will absolutely target mids.

They have Jefferson (not sure how he’s developing) as a KPF and a bunch of smaller forward types. Petty can go back once May/Mcdonald retire. Heaps of back flankers
Melbourne have nearly as many holes to fill as us. Jefferson probably won't make it. It'll be interesting to see what they do come draft time

On SM-S921B using BigFooty.com mobile app

I reckon my (possibly misguided) big hope for next season is seeing Hutchinson run through the middle regularly after his 1st pre-season with us.

i am tempering that with the knowledge that it might take a couple of pre-seasons to get the tank big enough.
Considering he was quite good v Geel in the last round and seemed to run out the game well as well as accumulate 27 odd possies it's a good sign he can run out games

Sent from my SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

So much now hinges on adding Warner next year.

If we add Warner to Reid we have our two A+ midfield stars, then everyone else (Hewett, Ginbey, Hall, pick 12 etc) fall into the right role/level and we turn around and have a deep, young midfield.

If Warner doesn't come though, well, boy oh boy, we need something out of the hat. Hewett is healthy and hits, Ginbey grows in the backline and comes back into the midfield as a gun. It could all happen, but would be so much easier with Warner.

I'm actually not fussed either way if we get Warner or not.

Bit worried he's an icing on the cake guy.

Meh, either way

My concern though is we are building a midfield cake, all vanilla, decent/good players, but are short on the delicious icing (other than Reid). The hope is that Warner comes in and helps Reid take us from that decent/good midfield to very good in due course.

Imagine a shitty baker pulling out of the oven an uncooked raw shitty cake and putting icing on top.

That's what would happen if we got Warner.
I pictured Baker Baking a sloppy cake

Can see why we wanted to add the likes of Baker(26), Graham(26) and Owies(27) to our list.

We skew very young

Could do with a couple of extra players in that 22-25 bracket maybe via DFA and/or SSP.
You mean there's some method to their madness? That they might actually know what they're doing? Also Baker might be used in the midfield, and there's still no.12 pick, supposedly a quality player...

Imagine a shitty baker pulling out of the oven an uncooked raw shitty cake and putting icing on top.

That's what would happen if we got Warner.
Forget Baker he's a placeholder to help our kids develop.

We have the kids in Hewett, Ginbey, Hall, Maric, Hutchinson, Pick 12, the f/s and academy picks next year, and others. If they come on as hoped we'll have a cake. A potentially boring cake, but we'll have it. It's then we need Warner

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Melbourne have nearly as many holes to fill as us. Jefferson probably won't make it. It'll be interesting to see what they do come draft time

On SM-S921B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Dees have said they are open to anything with picks 5 and 9.

Pick 5 turns to live pick 6.

Tigers will trade 6 plus 18 for 2 or some such IMO.

See North wanting one of Trainor or Tauru.

And people better brace for Trainor at our 12 sliding to 14 if Lindsay and Travagalia are gone.

Or Tauru.

A very nice player of need will slide to 14. Just don't control which one.

Reading through the Fox/ESPN etc. news articles regarding winners/losers of the draft and none have us as losers.

What am I missing?
This has us as losers (and I certainly feel like we were losers) but it doesn’t even mention Barrass
Typical 7

Forget Baker he's a placeholder to help our kids develop.

We have the kids in Hewett, Ginbey, Hall, Maric, Hutchinson, Pick 12, the f/s and academy picks next year, and others. If they come on as hoped we'll have a cake. A potentially boring cake, but we'll have it. It's then we need Warner
This thinking is a problem. Develop into what? Good 200 game players? Those alone don't win flags. it's like Pyke thinks we have to better immediately. That comes at a cost. Where do you get another Harley? You can't do it with just one.

This thinking is a problem. Develop into what? Good 200 game players? Those alone don't win flags. it's like Pyke thinks we have to better immediately. That comes at a cost. Where do you get another Harley? You can't do it with just one.
No shit. My posts are all about how we need to add Warner to make it all make sense.

Without Warner we are meh.

I just took a look at the draft order in an attempt to convince myself everything actually worked out okay. Our third pick this year is #73. Cricket season I guess.

73 will come in a long way after Brisbane, Essendon are done.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Back