List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Whose future picks would you have preferred?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links

Trade period
In: 12, F1, F2, F3, 73, Baker, Owies, Graham*
Out: 3, 63, F4, Barrass, Darling

*Free agent

Done deals

• Zane Trew, Jamaine Jones and Jordyn Baker delisted

Last edited by a moderator:
We will have 2 first & a future 1st.

Not recommending we necessarily use them all.
2 first rounders, as long is one is better than 8 is probably enough for chad.
Got to watch Peter "the hyphen" Bell-End though. Hopefully Fremantle can't challenge us pick wise. He likes to force us to pay more. Fecking leprechaun.

As I have posted previously it has be an inauspicious start for Clarke IMO, and I really want my fears and concerns to be wrong and unwarranted but I can only predict how a person will perform in the future using their past performances as the yardstick.

So a challenge to all the apologists on here that always defend the Clubs decisions and defend it’s short comings, can any of you allay my fears.

Because I am struggling to see the upside of a future with this bloke managing our list and being our chief trade negotiator going forward.
A good summary of the situation. I am also okay with our trade period broadly but I'm definitely concerned about Clarke. Whether it's poor strategy, clouded judgement or just bad optics it seems at least unfortunate our dealings were so tied to the Tigers. Maybe he is great at the other parts of the job but if we are right then hopefully the club can take action and find a way of avoiding this happening again moving forward.

List spot update also

We have 1 free main list spot before delistings. We have Witherden, Burgiel, Rotham, Edwards without a contract on main list and Culley without one on rookie. So 5 free spots and 3 draft picks. If we plan to delist all 5 we need to find 2 more picks or go into the DFA pool for someone like Parfitt/Prior

We have 3 draft picks so we need to find more.

I think the realistic situation is that we pony up for picks 29 or 36 from Port and resign Witho on a 1 year deal. Another situation is we get stuck with only 3 picks and instead need to do something like sign Prior as a DFA, sign Witho to 1 year deal and use 3 picks

Either way the idea we will magically get 3 picks from Richmond or other teams isnt going to happen when most teams have commited picks to the total list spots or elsewhere teams have more to offer then we do to get more picks in said draft ie. if Dees split pick 9

If being a bumbling fool wasn’t enough Clarke is now also a hypocrite. After a train wreck trade period he has the audacity to say we shouldn’t zero in on a player. Achieved zero goals that any person with half a brain would have set for this trade period. Doesn’t deserve the time or support to turn the tide, Matthew Clarke should be matched out of Mineral Resources Park today.

His answer was fine

I think Walley will demand the highest bid of the three. Probably second round but he's the one who could go very high if it all clicks.

Banfield is a running machine but probably won't be viewed as a top end talent. Hopefully a late second.

Evans could be a late selection unless he does something wild in the champs. Probably more of a speculative athlete with a fast, long kicking game style.
The good thing about the draft points next year is that 4 Northern clubs collectively will have around 6 to 8 players likely to be taken in the first round.

I normally ignore all Academy and FS prospects in my rankings as they are not available for normal picks, only matching. That means the compromised draft will work in our favour and the trio of prospects will allow us to get 2 x R1 picks and possibly our first R2 pick in before we need to start matching.

Walley showed in the champs some real pizzazz and could get clubs keen like they were for Pickett and Weightman. At worst, he could be bid on late teens if he shows enough. I saw a load of burst and magic at times for Walley. He looks more consistent that Champion but that doesn’t say much. Clubs looking and ready to draft a tricky small forward are usually in the window without a load of currency so I’m expecting at worst a pick around 20 at most

The top 5 prospects look better that the top 5 this year - a long way to go as FOS and Smillie looked that good in their bottom age year only to fall away slightly this year

I am okish about what we have done.

For me the parcel we got from The Poos and Wees, for TB was better than I had expected.
While TB was a great intercept mark he actually isn’t a particularly good defender in a one on one situation.
Can’t say I will miss he sideways and backwards kicks off one step, that don’t reach there intended team mate on the full.
Neither will I miss his flour bag punts that’s lobbed onto the heads of our forwards, or his slow ball movement.
I also suspect that he wouldn’t have transitioned well, to the fast ball movement, game style that we are supposedly changing too.

Happy with the out come that we came away with with the TB trade.

The three players that we have added are all reasonable players with out being top tier.
Baker has the right attitude and IF he can help lift the pressure aspect of the team that’s a real bonus.
Graham is the pick up I like the most.
Cost us nothing, he has a skill set that we are short of - ie a defensive mid, his inclusion in the side will assist HR9 and Yeo. He too brings pressure to a team that’s in need of a level of desperation to hold the ball in our forward half.
Oweis is an ok get, not a real need but he is a decent depth player, as his addition to our list will keep some heat on Ryan to hold his spot.
Ryan has been playing with the cruise control button switched on the past few years.

The cost we paid for Baker is the second biggest negative for me over the trade period.
Good sides are built around top 5 - 7 picks.
Over the past decade and a half we haven’t had many.
When we have had them, we haven’t valved them highly enough IMO:

2022 pick 2 - traded for 9 and 12 ( from memory ) got us Ginbey and Hewitt.
This trade back looks poor as it is at the moment. So I am giving it a ❎

2023 pick 1 - kept HR9 enough said ✅

2024 pick 3 - traded it for Baker & 12

Who we pick with 12 and how they turn out will be of the utmost importance to determine if this is another bust / plonker move, or a astute piece of list building.

But for me the most worrying aspect of the past week and it scares the shit out of me going forward is Matt Clarke’s performance.
I just shook my head in disbelief we on day one he walks into the trade period and blurts out that he thinks his number one trade target- Baker is worth a pick in the teens.

I mean FFS 🤦‍♂️ just how daft was that ?

Immediately the alarm 🚨 bells went off inside my head.

This guy has failed Negotiating 101.

I have heard him speak several times since and let me say he has not left a good impression on me.

Then the snippet from someone close to the action, that the movement on the TB trade only moved forward after Clarke left the room.
This is hearsay but I don’t doubt it’s authenticity.

Which leads me to my biggest fear.

This is the guy that been entrusted by our management to be the pivotal player in our badly needed rebuild.

Well after this week I am thinking Holly, fu(ken molly……. we might be in a mountain of shit even bigger and deeper than I first thought.

As I have posted previously it has be an inauspicious start for Clarke IMO, and I really want my fears and concerns to be wrong and unwarranted but I can only predict how a person will perform in the future using their past performances as the yardstick.

So a challenge to all the apologists on here that always defend the Clubs decisions and defend it’s short comings, can any of you allay my fears.

Because I am struggling to see the upside of a future with this bloke managing our list and being our chief trade negotiator going forward.

Mr Dutton is correct. Clarke forgot this or didn’t care.

Angry Paramount Network GIF by Yellowstone

Ryan Daniels

@FootyRhino
·
3m

After interest from multiple clubs including
@essendonfc
, now a growing possibilty Josh Rotham will remain with
@WestCoastEagles
. The defender is currently out of contract.

Clark is the list manager, but he does not make the decisions on his own. The new coach would of had the ultimate say on all of this. That people think the list managers are fully in charge of all recruiting is just dumb.
A large group are involved with the senior coach having a huge say. The list manager delivers the final outcome.

List spot update also

We have 1 free main list spot before delistings. We have Witherden, Burgiel, Rotham, Edwards without a contract on main list and Culley without one on rookie. So 5 free spots and 3 draft picks. If we plan to delist all 5 we need to find 2 more picks or go into the DFA pool for someone like Parfitt/Prior

We have 3 draft picks so we need to find more.

Don't you get as many draft picks as you have list spots? So if we delist more we'll have 5th round, 6th round etc picks?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Its not just the pick 3 swap but the fact we didn't get another pick back from the Tigers when they had a million of them. Even one of their picks in the 40's would've helped.

What's even more insulting from those flogs, other than robbing our pick 3 and unnecessary additional picks in the 60's...

They also still have the extra pick we gave them last year for Clay Hall. Our long gone 3rd rounder.

I mean Gee whiz, throw us a bone ffs.

Ryan Daniels

@FootyRhino
·
3m

After interest from multiple clubs including
@essendonfc
, now a growing possibilty Josh Rotham will remain with
@WestCoastEagles
. The defender is currently out of contract.

This is garbage… clear all of the uncontracted brigade out or we are going nowhere

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Last edited:
We have a new coach and he might see something in Rotham he can work with so I'm not going to get outraged by the rest of our list changes. By my count if we want to take 3 ND picks and a rookie pick we need to cut two more from the senior list. If we trade back in to this draft for an extra pick we'll need to cut three.

Which btw is why I feel sick that we chose their future picks over Carlton. Everyone is expecting Hawthorn to slide on the back of a more difficult draw but if you look at their results over the back half of the year they beat a lot of seriously good sides. And we sent them a player who will help them win more games next year.

Or we could flip the narrative and say that over the back half of the year Carlton stumbled to the finish line after a spate of injuries that dropped then down the ladder.
Hawks were impressive last year but that’s one years of good work, whereas Carlton have been up the pointy end a bit longer.

It’s really just a guessing game isn’t it ?

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Back