List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Whose future picks would you have preferred?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links

Trade period
In: 12, F1, F2, F3, 73, Baker, Owies, Graham*
Out: 3, 63, F4, Barrass, Darling

*Free agent

Done deals

• Zane Trew, Jamaine Jones and Jordyn Baker delisted

Last edited by a moderator:
Thought I'd compare our trade week performance against some alternative reasonable options (AKA no walking to PSD) we could have landed with:

Option 1:
Trade for Baker with 26 + F2, trade TB for 14 and F2

Summary:
Out: 26, F2, Barras, Darling
In: Baker, Graham, 14, F2 (Hawks), 68

Draft: pick 3, 14, 63, 68

Option 2:
Trade for Baker with 26 + F2, Trade TB & F4 for F1, F2, F3.

Summary:
Out: 26, F2, Barrass, F4, Darling
In: Baker, Graham, F1 (Hawks), F2 (Hawks), F3 (Hawks), 68

Daft: 3, 63, 68

Actual:
Trade for Baker with pick 14 after splitting 3, 63 & 68 for 12, 14, 73 & Owies. Trade TB & F4 for F1, F2, F3.

Summary:
Out: 3, 63, 68, Barrass, F4, Darling
In: Baker, Graham, Owies, 12, 73, F1 (Hawks), F2 (Hawks), F3 (Hawks)

Draft: 12, 26, 73

Overall, not the best and not the worst. I'd probably say option 1 is the most optimal outcome, as it gives us more flexibility. We could have used future picks to trade back into the first or second round, or still gone ahead with our trade to Carlton and taken 12 and 14 to the draft (rather than 12 & 26 - depending on what happened with TB).

The biggest factor is what we valued and paid for Baker - 26 & a F2 may not have gotten it done, but it's not far off and we surely had options to trade those picks with someone else for a later first rounder. Which I think would have sufficed in the end. The fact Baker cost us more than Geelong paid for Bailey Smith is pretty damning IMO.

That said I'd take what we actually got over Option 2, so thx Hawks for being campaigners. We keep a first rounder, second rounder and all the future assets. It actually worked out for us.

All up, I'm at peace with it. We're not in the darkest timeline - somewhere in between.

I could live with the pick swap. But the Baker trade didn't need to have anything to do with it.

We should have held 14 waiting for an offer for it which got closer to a single pick at Bakers value (19-21). Lets say 14 for 19 and F2.

Trade Baker for 19.

OUT: 3,63,68,F4, TB, Darling

IN: 12, 73, F1(Hawks), F2(Hawks), F2(Swans), F3(Hawks), Baker, Owies, Graham

2024 Draft Hand: 12,26,73

2025 Draft Hand (Based on 2024 Placings): 3,13,21,29,35,39,49

We had ages to move 14 to something more reasonable for Baker. That trade could have happened at the deadline if we couldn't. Unfathomable.

Tb has been with Gov and a few other mates in Port Douglas since Monday. I've been told he was very nervous, and with 15 minutes left had conceded that it was a good chance he was coming back to the Eagles. Was getting calls from McQualter with an hour left to go, telling him he is welcome back etc.

When the trade went through, he and Gov were very emotional, but he knows it is best for him and the Eagles to move on.

Champion of our club, and although I can't wait to death ride the Hawks next year, I will be certainly supporting TB.
I was thinking about this situation yesterday. Would you rather tell your agent 'call me when it goes through' and stress for every minute that it isn't going through, or just say - 'call me at the end of trade period' and it is what it is?

Not sure if it goes right up to draft night, but there's def a period in between where picks can be traded
I just looked it up, and pick swaps can be done from today till Nov 8th, and then again on draft night(s).
This is all I could find on it

Delisted free agents can still be signed once the Trade Period closes and clubs are also able to exclusively trade draft picks – not players – up until and during the National Draft, which this year will be held on November 20-21.

12 (15-16?) could turn out to be judd mkII and it would still be an absolutely stupid move.

Now that would make it a far more palatable, stupid move. 😉

To clarify, do we even know for sure that the choice of Hawthorn or Carlton's F1 was ours?

I believe it was left up to us and I haven't seen anything to suggest otherwise.

I could live with the pick swap. But the Baker trade didn't need to have anything to do with it.

We should have held 14 waiting for an offer for it which got closer to a single pick at Bakers value (19-21). Lets say 14 for 19 and F2.

Trade Baker for 19.

OUT: 3,63,68,F4, TB, Darling

IN: 12, 73, F1(Hawks), F2(Hawks), F2(Swans), F3(Hawks), Baker, Owies, Graham

2024 Draft Hand: 12,26,73

2025 Draft Hand (Based on 2024 Placings): 3,13,21,29,35,39,49

We had ages to move 14 to something more reasonable for Baker. That trade could have happened at the deadline if we couldn't. Unfathomable.

The pick swap sucks.

3 for 12 + 14 is basically even on points - which overrates the value of later picks - for a trade between two clubs with no FS/academy considerations.

For picks in this year's draft I would've considered:

3, 26 for 7, 8
3 for 15, 16, 21
3, F1 for 5, 9

We needed pick 3 to be more than a pick outside the top 10 and Baker.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Had a sick feeling they will re-sign him when he was photographed at the club meeting Mcqualter.

Fraser Mcinnis copped flacked for how long he stayed on the list but he didn’t fet to stay on this long.

The whole live pick trading thing is so depressing in our current situation for 2 reasons

1, we existed the top 5 for well unders

2, we're trying to get into the top end of the draft paying a significant premium

On SM-A155F using BigFooty.com mobile app

I agree there. He's not a one man department, but he's the figurehead.

The noose around our neck was the unequivocal agreement months out from the trade period that Baker was worth the pick we were destined to acquire for TB. We put our fingers in our ears about it but the media all knew, so it must have been tied up with a pretty bow and express posted to Tigers head office very early on.

I would say it was such an open secret that Fremantle strategized around keeping Bakers value at 14 by offering their earlier pick knowing Baker didn't want to play for them, and then held off doing the Bolton deal until Baker was done so they could get access to the pick they helped set in stone.

If Clarke was steering the ship when those initial agreements were made he had the blinkers on for his boy, and he's responsible. He also got caught playing checkers while others were playing chess.

He'll learn from it and I assume some additional contingencies will be put in place going forwards, but there's no doubt that he has his fingers all over the worst aspect of our trade period, and potentially was saved from himself in the TB negotiations as he tried to recover any losses.
The part about Freo makes zero sense. They helped Richmond so they could get a pick downgrade to go with the two picks they gave up for Bolton?

The part about Freo makes zero sense. They helped Richmond so they could get a pick downgrade to go with the two picks they gave up for Bolton?

Freo were trying to get a contracted Bolton to their club as the missing piece for a Premiership tilt. Their offer on its own was gaining no traction and they didn't want to trade out of the first round entirely.

I wouldn't put it past Freo or the Tigers to cook up a plan where Freo went public with the offer to acquire Baker, thereby reinforcing that we couldn't reneg on 14, which unlocked the Tigers filling their boots with Freo picks and handing them 14 back for hitting media street setting Bakers value in the early to mid teens.

The Barrass picks saved us really from a Z - rating to a C ...brilliant finish .
Only had pick 3 and Barrass compensation to get all we needed , stuffed up but have the experience now in the squad , go again next draft even the mid-season draft , possibly ( hopefully not ) a high pick .
Somehow we will win games especially if Oscar Allen quits captaincy and goes and wins the Coleman medal , concentrate on that Oscar ....

Fully agree with Allen stepping down. Should either be Duggan or Waterman solo skip

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Back