List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Whose future picks would you have preferred?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links

Trade period
In: 12, F1, F2, F3, 73, Baker, Owies, Graham*
Out: 3, 63, F4, Barrass, Darling

*Free agent

Done deals

• Zane Trew, Jamaine Jones and Jordyn Baker delisted

Last edited by a moderator:
Am I the only one that sees nothing wrong with retaining Rotham?

Sure, no biggie if he was traded or delisted, but every club needs that useful depth, including us, and Rotham at least has demonstrated he belongs at AFL level.

Not every one of our defenders can be Gov or Hurn Mk II.

List spot update also

We have 1 free main list spot before delistings. We have Witherden, Burgiel, Rotham, Edwards without a contract on main list and Culley without one on rookie. So 5 free spots and 3 draft picks. If we plan to delist all 5 we need to find 2 more picks or go into the DFA pool for someone like Parfitt/Prior

We have 3 draft picks so we need to find more.

I think the realistic situation is that we pony up for picks 29 or 36 from Port and resign Witho on a 1 year deal. Another situation is we get stuck with only 3 picks and instead need to do something like sign Prior as a DFA, sign Witho to 1 year deal and use 3 picks

Either way the idea we will magically get 3 picks from Richmond or other teams isnt going to happen when most teams have commited picks to the total list spots or elsewhere teams have more to offer then we do to get more picks in said draft ie. if Dees split pick 9

We currently have 2 vacant list spots, not 1

Clarke has already said we will look at DFA and SSP/train on possibilities to round out our list as well as the draft

Demons are an interesting one. 2 picks and 5 free list spots. Unlike us though they have Bombers future 1st as opposed to Hawks which holds more value.

We are massively behind in getting back into this draft. People need to lump it and accept it

Melbourne traded their F1 to get pick 9 from Essendon along with a bunch of other picks this draft to give Essendon enough points to cover a Kako bid

It’s Essendon who may want to use a F1 pick to get back in the draft after they match the Kako bid

Melbourne have no 2025 R1 picks

Facts matter

Sure, no biggie if he was traded or delisted, but every club needs that useful depth, including us, and Rotham at least has demonstrated he belongs at AFL level.

Yeah no qualms with keeping him and witho for 1yr as depth/rookies.

We'll need some depth back there with Barrass gone & Hedwards/Bazzo learning the trade.

More faith in them than some of the others that perhaps have more upside: Burgiel has swiss cheese for hamstrings and can't get on the park & Culley is slow as treacle and has been overtaken by Maric & Hutch

After being depressed since the pick 3 trade and melting hard, i'm finally starting to feel a bit more optimistic and starting to see the strategy the club is using to rebuild and win flags.

I do see similarities particularly with how Collingwood rebuilt and won a flag after finishing in the bottom 3, then hiring McRae and drafting Daicos, comparatively we drafted Harley and hired McQualter.

Collingwood very much embraced a moneyball approach to draft and trade and it feels like we're doing similar by bringing in Baker, Owies and Graham whilst backing ourselves in with pick 12 and potentially another pick if we trade back in.

We're also favourites to land Warner and Starcevich next year, and we will improve us significantly if we manage to land both of them.

One of the biggest positives i see in landing Baker, Graham and Owies is that they are all very physically strong players that won't shirk a contest and will give 110% every game. I know a lot of people aren't happy with the line "we recruited just as much for the off-field traits" but the off-field stuff is culture defining and has a big influence on and off the field and is often the back bone for building a premiership team.

Richmond and Hawthorn we're both very physically imposing teams and the most successful teams of the modern era because there brand and players stood up in finals.

In general now we are very physically imposing team and think this will hold us in very good stead going forward

The trade period undoubtedly could of been handled better, but i think there are some positives to be taken out of it and i'm still bullish going forward as to what the club can achieve.

Clarke has already said we will look at DFA and SSP/train on possibilities to round out our list as well as the draft

Melbourne traded their F1 to get pick 9 from Essendon along with a bunch of other picks this draft to give Essendon enough points to cover a Kako bid

It’s Essendon who may want to use a F1 pick to get back in the draft after they match the Kako bid

Facts matter
Is it 1 senior list spot and one rookie list spot, or is it two senior list spots because we've been carrying an extra rookie? I've lost track.

Will more come down to clearing list spots if we trade back into this draft. He is what he is, and in that regard Id probably prefer to keep the younger boys who are also on the chopping block, but with TB gone he does offer something back there if we need it.

Yeah no qualms with keeping him and witho for 1yr as depth/rookies.

We'll need some depth back there with Barrass gone & Hedwards/Bazzo learning the trade.

More faith in them than some of the others that perhaps have more upside: Burgiel has swiss cheese for hamstrings and can't get on the park & Culley is slow as treacle and has been overtaken by Maric & Hutch

Yes, was about to post in response to squashface who would apparently be 'livid' if Rotham takes the place of Culley/Burgiel. What do they have over Rotham? Youth? No point being a kid on the list if you're severely limited (Culley) or perpetually injured (Burgiel).

It's not like Rotham is a pensioner or unproven, either. He'll do a job when required, especially now TB is gone.

I think TB has done the club a big favour with this trade. Has had his share of injuries, and the consistent back issues are a concern. I wouldn't be surprised to see him put in one good season and then fade, maybe retiring early.

I wish him all the best.

A few injuries to the Hawks and some teams adjusting to their game plan and we could easily see those future pics becoming more valuable.

I thought Rotham being delisted would be a formality

If Daniels is right that he’s a chance to get a new contract I can only assume McQualter has spoken to him and sees a potential role for Rotham. Given Rotham does actually possess some athleticism a new game plan that focuses on speed might suit him

Maybe a new coach can unlock the potential he showed earlier in his career that became stymied under our kick mark game.

A bit like the way Sheppard had a new lease on life under Simpson with a better defined role

Probably puts a line through Witherden as I can’t see us retaining both

It's not like Rotham is a pensioner or unproven, either. He'll do a job when required, especially now TB is gone.

Yeah but a bit of a shit job though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes, was about to post in response to squashface who would apparently be 'livid' if Rotham takes the place of Culley/Burgiel. What do they have over Rotham? Youth? No point being a kid on the list if you're severely limited (Culley) or perpetually injured (Burgiel).

What job is Rotham able to do that helps cover us now that TB is gone?

He’s played about 3 good games across his entire career and is the very definition of a list clogger.

You have to cut guys like this in a rebuild because our list is obviously in such a bad spot otherwise we wouldn’t have just had 3 all time bad years.

Burgiel has attributes of need (pace from the back half) and Culley plays in a position of need. What does Rotham offer to a rebuilding side?

I thought Rotham being delisted would be a formality

If Daniels is right that he’s a chance to get a new contract I can only assume McQualter has spoken to him and sees a potential role for Rotham. Given Rotham does actually possess some athleticism a new game plan that focuses on speed might suit him

Maybe a new coach can unlock the potential he showed earlier in his career that became stymied under our kick mark game.

A bit like the way Sheppard had a new lease on life under Simpson with a better defined role

Probably puts a line through Witherden as I can’t see us retaining both

I did say no biggie if delisted. He's no longer first 22, and let's face it will probably never make it.

Just querying why others are frothing over him getting a one year extension when TB is gone and we lack mature bodies on the list.

What job is Rotham able to do that helps cover us now that TB is gone?

He’s played about 3 good games across his entire career and is the very definition of a list clogger.

You have to cut guys like this in a rebuild because our list is obviously in such a bad spot otherwise we wouldn’t have just had 3 all time bad years.

Burgiel has attributes of need (pace from the back half) and Culley plays in a position of need. What does Rotham offer to a rebuilding side?

Burgiel hasn't even got on the park and Culley is coming off an ACL and has demonstrated a low ceiling to his ability (and probably overtaken this year too). Fine if one (or both) get an extension, also fine if they get delisted.

Not a big deal imo if Rotham has a spot as a depth defender, cannot fill a list with nothing but kids. No one is saying he should stay over say Bazzo or Cole or Hough.

Is it 1 senior list spot and one rookie list spot, or is it two senior list spots because we've been carrying an extra rookie? I've lost track.

We have 36 on the main list, 4 on the rookie list and 2 Cat B rookies

And 5 players uncontracted

So we can bring in a maximum of 7 new players if we delist all 5

Or we can take a minimum of 3 new players if we delist only 1

I would say that Rotham has been proven to be mediocre and really is the type of player who needs to be turned over now. Not like he hasn't had plenty of games to really show something work persisting with.

We have 36 on the main list, 4 on the rookie list and 2 Cat B rookies

And 5 players uncontracted

So we can bring in a maximum of 7 new players if we delist all 5

Or we can take a minimum of 3 new players if we delist only 1
Max on the primary list is 38 right? So we need to delist 1 senior list player and one rookie list player (or two senior list players) to take 3 in the draft and one in the rookie draft.

Gee, 3 in a very deep draft seems quite minimal for a rebuilding side.

Expecting to buy back in somewhere and end up taking 4 selections in the ND. Doesn't need to be top 10, but top 30 at least.

4 selections would mean we need to delist 2 more off the main list year? Withers and Rotham. Boom.

Clark is the list manager, but he does not make the decisions on his own. The new coach would of had the ultimate say on all of this. That people think the list managers are fully in charge of all recruiting is just dumb.
A large group are involved with the senior coach having a huge say. The list manager delivers the final outcome.
Sack them all and start again. Staying with Schofield would have produced a better outcome. At least he has some fortitude.

Max on the primary list is 38 right? So we need to delist 1 senior list player and one rookie list player (or two senior list players) to take 3 in the draft and one in the rookie draft.
Correct

Facts matter
How? My math is

OUT - Barrass, Jones, Gaff, Darling
IN - Graham, Owies, Baker

Sorry I meant the other way around obviously

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Back