List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Whose future picks would you have preferred?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links

Trade period
In: 12, F1, F2, F3, 73, Baker, Owies, Graham*
Out: 3, 63, F4, Barrass, Darling

*Free agent

Done deals

• Zane Trew, Jamaine Jones and Jordyn Baker delisted

Last edited by a moderator:
I think given that once again we have refused to address the barren wasteland that is the midfield with more top end talent then we need to look inward to try and find support for Reid.

Hewett spends the preseason training purely as a mid and improves his tank to play as a fulltime onballer
Long transitions to be that skillful midget midfielder - get him to watch Lachie Neale tapes. Dewar/Owies can fill his small forward spot
Hutchinson works on being a mid/fwd with lots of minutes on ball
Get Chesser off the gimp wing and try him on ball for full games in the WAFL first
Pick 3 Pick 12 needs to be a midfielder. Not a flanker who projects as maybe being a midfielder.

Hopefully one at least or maybe two of those work out.

Is the wing midfield? I would say yes it is.

Because chances are Lindsay at 12>14 is where he drops.

Just after Travagalia. 12ish.

Trainor may slide and fall around that spot.

And possibly Bo Allan.

For a pure mid at that range we will need a slider or we will be reaching.

If we were still under Simmo and Rotham was still on the list then I'd be infinitely more pissed. But since we got a new coach who wants to bring in a new game style I don't mind if McQualter wants to keep him on for another year to see how he fares. I got no idea how many players we need to delist or how many list spaces we need to free up, I'm just saying in a vacuum I'm not fussed about him staying on for one more year.

As far as the pick swap period, I don't really care. After all the horseshit of the last week and a half I'm shutting my list manager brain off until the new year. Have at it, lads.
Yeah i dont really mind it. it just needs to be a 1 year deal. If he hasnt improved or established himself in the B22 then he cannot be carried for another year.

this list needs to be turned over.

There's like a 10% chance with a new coach and a new role he might remember how to football.

My posting history is littered with hope that Rotham can recapture the spark he had from the start of his career - as he has the attributes to be a decent wingman; tall, fast and a good kick. I think he's a bit to heavy now, and his attacking flair is missing but remain hopeful he can find it.

My posting history is littered with hope that Rotham can recapture the spark he had from the start of his career - as he has the attributes to be a decent wingman; tall, fast and a good kick. I think he's a bit to heavy now, and his attacking flair is missing but remain hopeful he can find it.

Its much easy to look good in winning teams.

This is how teams can plummet down the ladder in a single season (as we did).

Their true colours as bog ordinary AFL players get shown up once its time for them to be the ones leading the way. Rotham is one such player. Petch another, Cole to a lesser extent. Duggan is a good player but not the player he looked like becoming when we were good and he was young. And lets now talk about Sheed 'ey.

I can think of a few teams which may end up learning this the hard way in the next couple of years, as we have. A couple of those are probably already there.

I am heartened that we can point to our young players having good games even in bad losses (Reid, Ginbey, Williams and Hough consistently for example). The game will only get easier for them the better we get as a side.

Yes, was about to post in response to squashface who would apparently be 'livid' if Rotham takes the place of Culley/Burgiel. What do they have over Rotham? Youth? No point being a kid on the list if you're severely limited (Culley) or perpetually injured (Burgiel).

It's not like Rotham is a pensioner or unproven, either. He'll do a job when required, especially now TB is gone.
The only job Rotham is capable of is laying a cable in his dacks when any semblance of pressure comes towards him.

Last edited:
Its much easy to look good in winning teams.

This is how teams can plummet down the ladder in a single season (as we did).

Their true colours as bog ordinary AFL players get shown up once its time for them to be the ones leading the way. Rotham is one such player. Petch another, Cole to a lesser extent. Duggan is a good player but not the player he looked like becoming when we were good and he was young. And lets now talk about Sheed 'ey.

I can think of a few teams which may end up learning this the hard way in the next couple of years, as we have. A couple of those are probably already there.

I am heartened that we can point to our young players having good games even in bad losses (Reid, Ginbey, Williams and Hough consistently for example). The game will only get easier for them the better we get as a side.

I just think giving him the licence to take the game on would unlock his abilities - Monocle covered that pretty well already. Our possession retention switch game either doesn't stack up or is too slow (or both) and with a faster attacking style he could be a player.

Otherwise yes his past few years have stunk terribly - he's just not a third tall or a lockdown defender. If given another year to grab his chance I guess we'll see.

he just needs to get on the park.

Yep.

For all of the posturing and hand-wringing re 3-12 and 14 for Baker - literally the second most important thing for the club this off-season is getting Hewett right to play (HR fitness and happiness is #1).

Don’t care re soft cap etc. get him right and we will look a lot better immediately. (Plus adding Baker and Graham to the midfield rotation improves us also).

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

As much as I like this whole "concept" of Rotham in a faster game plan/style...

I don't think you can suddenly just flick some switch and the bloke goes back to being the player he was drafted as back in 2016. Even a diet coke version.

You can't just insta forget what's been drilled into you by Simpson for 7-8 yrs. I'm not entirely sure Rotham even possesses any of the pace and athletic traits he initially had back in the day, let alone the mental capacity to be an attacking player who wants to take the game on.

Along with his delist counterpart Witherden, they're the 2 biggest culprits of the stop, prop, look sideways motion and kick backwards, completely snuffing out any chance of a sling shot scoring chain.

If he's retained I hope it happens. I'll certainly get around the idea. We never should've tried turning the bloke into some sort of C grade lockdown KPD.

Listening to Clarke it doesn’t sound like trading back into this draft is a priority, unlike Pyke. Hope he’s just playing poker and a deal is down with the Tigers. Need to get that 11 to save this trade period imo. (And draft well)

Travaglia and Lindsay running on the outside would add a lot.

Listening to Clarke it doesn’t sound like trading back into this draft, unlike Pyke. Need to get that 11 to save this trade period imo. (And draft well)

Why?

We are now ahead of Freo in the draft if that is the concern.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

People are seriously underselling Barrass him and gov have held up under siege for a few years now. Given gov is a bad injury away from retiring a year to year prospect and the next tier of KPD are unproven 3/4 years of barrass would of been a very handy for an undermanned defence and we don’t see the return for 1 year.

Baker on the other hand has a lot to prove this year against us Richmond’s undermanned midfield got spanked by Harley, Yeo and Kelly. Given the general staleness of the forward 50 and the constantly under siege defence I can only see baker being a good option as 4/5 banana midfielder

Is the wing midfield? I would say yes it is.

Because chances are Lindsay at 12>14 is where he drops.

Just after Travagalia. 12ish.

Trainor may slide and fall around that spot.

And possibly Bo Allan.

For a pure mid at that range we will need a slider or we will be reaching.
Please for the love of god join us in reality.

It's Bo Allan

I'm not saying I would have done it, but once again, it did allow us to keep a pick closer to Bakers value which we would have otherwise lost. That is really important. At least to me, as I think Baker is a great pick up.
Give me pick 5 or 6 and Baker and I'll cop that 14 is overs.

Pick 12 and no additional selections is awful. If Baker was in the National Draft he would be available at 26. If he was in the Pre Season Draft he would be available at 3. Offering a pick in the 20s for an OOC player that would be available in the 20s isn't screwing anyone over.

I'm happy we brought in Baker but he's a 26 year old mid with 12 Brownlow votes in 128 ganes. He's not Dan Houston or Bailey Smith.

Why?

We are now ahead of Freo in the draft if that is the concern.
Why I don’t think it’s his priority? Just because it comes at the end of we wanted a string draft this year or next ect ect. Or we have the option to trade back in.

Where Pyke almost made it sound like a priority.

Hope I’m wrong. Pick 11 and 12 would be a very good outcome imo

Listening to Clarke it doesn’t sound like trading back into this draft is a priority, unlike Pyke. Hope he’s just playing poker and a deal is down with the Tigers. Need to get that 11 to save this trade period imo. (And draft well)

Travaglia and Lindsay running on the outside would add a lot.
I took his comments as being open to all options - which I think is a good position to take, it gives us flexibility.

IF we trade into this draft though - I suspect it will be to target someone we rate in particular that has slid, probably in the 30-40 range. Anything higher, will cost a mint.

After being depressed since the pick 3 trade and melting hard, i'm finally starting to feel a bit more optimistic and starting to see the strategy the club is using to rebuild and win flags.

I do see similarities particularly with how Collingwood rebuilt and won a flag after finishing in the bottom 3, then hiring McRae and drafting Daicos, comparatively we drafted Harley and hired McQualter.

Collingwood very much embraced a moneyball approach to draft and trade and it feels like we're doing similar by bringing in Baker, Owies and Graham whilst backing ourselves in with pick 12 and potentially another pick if we trade back in.

We're also favourites to land Warner and Starcevich next year, and we will improve us significantly if we manage to land both of them.

One of the biggest positives i see in landing Baker, Graham and Owies is that they are all very physically strong players that won't shirk a contest and will give 110% every game. I know a lot of people aren't happy with the line "we recruited just as much for the off-field traits" but the off-field stuff is culture defining and has a big influence on and off the field and is often the back bone for building a premiership team.

Richmond and Hawthorn we're both very physically imposing teams and the most successful teams of the modern era because there brand and players stood up in finals.

In general now we are very physically imposing team and think this will hold us in very good stead going forward

The trade period undoubtedly could have been handled better, but i think there are some positives to be taken out of it and i'm still bullish going forward as to what the club can achieve.
I’m not really in this for a one and done flag though like Melbourne and Collingwood, and even 2017 Richmond (although they did get it to become multiple to be fair, but I don’t think we can do that with their philosophy outside of Victoria)

We are (or were) a powerhouse club trying to have sustained success playing good football, not snag a Richmond-esque flag after a long drought.

We’ve had superstars all over the field for the past decade and I’d very much like that to be the way we win our next one. Not just with Harley and a bunch of soldiers.

As much as I like this whole "concept" of Rotham

i-have-concepts-of-a-plan-donald-trump-meme.jpg

Maybe he's learnt a hard lesson about committing to a player. Or he's got no idea.
Matthew Clarke... Just play a straight bat!!

What happened to 'we don't discuss deals about contracted players from other clubs '

It seriously weakens our bargaining power if you show interest and give valuations... As we saw this trade period... which other posters and I feared may happen.

People are seriously underselling Barrass him and gov have held up under siege for a few years now. Given gov is a bad injury away from retiring a year to year prospect and the next tier of KPD are unproven 3/4 years of barrass would of been a very handy for an undermanned defence and we don’t see the return for 1 year.

Baker on the other hand has a lot to prove this year against us Richmond’s undermanned midfield got spanked by Harley, Yeo and Kelly. Given the general staleness of the forward 50 and the constantly under siege defence I can only see baker being a good option as 4/5 banana midfielder

Barrass is also one knock/injury away from retirement.

29 next season.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Back