List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Whose future picks would you have preferred?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links

Trade period
In: 12, F1, F2, F3, 73, Baker, Owies, Graham*
Out: 3, 63, F4, Barrass, Darling

*Free agent

Done deals

• Zane Trew, Jamaine Jones and Jordyn Baker delisted

Last edited by a moderator:
Talking of copium, I actually think the Barrass trade by itself is good.

Knowing Hawthorn they probably get 10 more years out of him, but it's clear that with us he's past his peak and getting all of F1, F2 and F3 (in return for a token F4) is great. Assuming Hawks finish 6th again, that's 13, 31 and 49. All live picks. Decent result for a player that didn't want to stay even if he is easily first 22.

If we (rightly) criticise the deal for Baker and downgrade of pick 3, credit also for extracting that from Hawthorn.
Too focused on numbers. Look at the quality of the draft. Its very low. Id have taken pick 30,39 and 50 in this years draft over F1,F2 and F3.

I hope the plan is to use Baker as a Defender/Mid & Graham as a Forward/Mid - both rotating though the midfield and giving us depth & options.

It's been a while since we've truly had players capable of rotating through the midfield and also add value in the backline or forward line. Duggo's prob been the only consistent one.
Makes sense - we need rotations to keep up the run and pressure (and work rate)

Hawks just traded out their entire original 2025 draft hand bar round 4 for a 29 year old fullback with back issues.
I love all of the backpedaling now going on.

Go back and have a read at the bullshit that was pushed in the Barrass thread.

2 days ago we were spruiking that he still had years of AA quality footy ahead of him, no back issues and the final piece of the puzzle for the Hawks to win a flag. They were getting a bargain at 2 first rounders.

We couldn't even get a pick for him this year FFS.

If things fall their way and the FS/academy kids come through, the Hawks might've traded him for no picks in the first 20.

McGovern falls over we have HEdwards and .......... holding up our backline.

Don’t like the Shep comparison. Shep was a high end talent and had a few injury concerns early but by 23 he was starting to live up to it. Rotham will be 27 next year and hasn’t played good footy in years. Most clubs would have cut him years ago. Can see the reason keeping him on as key back depth as barrass has gone but he isn’t a jey defenders A hole. He’s fair back in the line for general defenders. Also would orefer Burgiel and heck even a guy like Liam ryan used off half back over him.
Shep also wasn't a sheepdog.

Was about as gutsy as they come when it came to going back with the flight of the ball, or entering a contest to spoil a mark at pace.

People are seriously underselling Barrass him and gov have held up under siege for a few years now. Given gov is a bad injury away from retiring a year to year prospect and the next tier of KPD are unproven 3/4 years of barrass would of been a very handy for an undermanned defence and we don’t see the return for 1 year.

Baker on the other hand has a lot to prove this year against us Richmond’s undermanned midfield got spanked by Harley, Yeo and Kelly. Given the general staleness of the forward 50 and the constantly under siege defence I can only see baker being a good option as 4/5 banana midfielder
I dont think anyone is underselling him. We will be poorer next year for his absense. But we cashed our chips at the right time.
The facts are...
1) He wanted a trade
2) He will not be around when we contend next
3) This is the last year we would get anything for him
The timing is right to make the trade, keeping him for another year wont assist the rebuild as good as he is. As also mentioned, his injury risk factor is getting very high now given his back issues and he is a WA playerer nearing 30 (the cliff).

The good news is that we can look forward to the draft.

Pick 12 still has many great possibilities, like Lindsay, Hynes, Allen or some unknown slider.

The bad news is every time I look at the draft rankings in that group I remember we gave away the chance to get two of these players to dramatically overpay for Baker

I love all of the backpedaling now going on.

Go back and have a read at the bullshit that was pushed in the Barrass thread.

2 days ago we were spruiking that he still had years of AA quality footy ahead of him, no back issues and the final piece of the puzzle for the Hawks to win a flag. They were getting a bargain at 2 first rounders.

We couldn't even get a pick for him this year FFS.

If things fall their way and the FS/academy kids come through, the Hawks might've traded him for no picks in the first 20.

McGovern falls over we have HEdwards and .......... holding up our backline.
All on the top of trading in 3 27 year olds to help us compete....

I’d like Waterman to kick 6 on Barrass. With Owies, Baker, and Graham chipping in with 4 between them. Brownlow votes 1 Waterman, 2 Hewett, 3 H Reid.
Aaaaaaahhhhhhh the beauty of the off season, dreams and aspirations.
The way those two play Waterman is a good chance to kick a bag. That said we need decent amount of entries and clean entries

I think we are going to be using those Hawthorn futures to pick swap back into the top ten this draft - possibly to make a strong play for Richmond’s P6.

At the start I was hoping we could turn 3 into 6-8 and another close to top ten, and now we have 12. I really like where this is heading if we end up with 6+12. Clarke has been subtly alluding to it too. Let’s f’n go

Why so sure it won’t be the strategy briztoon ?

If part of our drafts strategy was thinking this was pretty even a fair way down, where are the WA kids rated at mostly.
Not necessarily that we take them just because WA, just remembering the last split we did and what we used it on.

Here is the problem.

If the club has committed to Champion and i'm not saying they have but if they have and the club manages to get use say a hawks F2+WC future third to get an extra pick just inside 30 or F2+F2 to get a pick closer to 20 then the club needs to take 4 open main list spots to the draft or we potentially miss out on him.

This requires 2 main list players to be delisted between now and list lodgement 2.

If the club only wants him if he falls to the rookie draft then it is what it is but Freo have a cooked walters and have lost a lot of their front end smalls. They could potentially take him late in the draft.

There was supposed to be an agreement in place where WCE and Freo wouldn't **** with each other anymore (TBH it was pretty much just Freo ****ing us) however that's not how it seemed to play out during trade week.

They played nice during the year in the lead up with discussions around their players but I do feel as though there was some shafting going on during trade week. Wallsy wouldn't look me in the eye even though we were only saw each other briefly in passing a few times. You would think someone you have had 20 odd phone calls with in the last few months would at least give you a hello, a wave or look you in the eye.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If part of our drafts strategy was thinking this was pretty even a fair way down, where are the WA kids rated at mostly.
Not necessarily that we take them just because WA, just remembering the last split we did and what we used it on.

Bo Allen would be considered at pick 12

Hamish Davis maybe around the mark with 26

Whether they’re the best two options at those points others will know better than me

All on the top of trading in 3 27 year olds to help us compete....
We had prime pick 3, plus our 2nd best KPD leaving, to get in a couple of quality onballers to help Reid out and we totally screwed it up.

Only 1 pick inside the first 15 this year, and Baker, to show for it.

still some totally baffling decisions.
-going after baker instead of UFAs to fill the list age gap while maintaining draft capital
-overcommitting to baker resulting in zero leverage from what should've been a position of strength
-blurting out to the world baker was worth an early teens pick on day one (what the ****) further eroding any possible leverage
-getting caught holding our dicks with no back up plan when the hawks moved into next years draft
-somehow about to be delisted owies being the piece that sweetens the carlton offer enough to accept (edit: and also sending 63+68 back to help them out WTF?)
-the entire concept of shipping off barrass with no intention to use whatever we get for him to bring in elite youth, but as a straight swap for baker
the sheer lack of creativity and seeming oneitis for baker really grinds my gears here. instead of going hard at free agents to fill the gap while still bringing in a top 3 talent they went all in on team richmond + the local kid. it's almost like our off season gameplan was copied from jon ralph talking points. i see these moves as irresponsible to the point of negligence.
i do think they did alright in the barrass deal (eventually). but i wonder how much clarke actually had to do with that and how much was the old guard cleaning up his mess.
this is the most clear and abrupt change in eras i can ever remember and i worry it has set the stage for things to come.

Last edited:
Bo Allen would be considered at pick 12

Hamish Davis maybe around the mark with 26

Whether they’re the best two options at those points others will know better than me
are there other talents between those two, or are they probably the two most highly?

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Back