List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Whose future picks would you have preferred?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links

Trade period
In: 12, F1, F2, F3, 73, Baker, Owies, Graham*
Out: 3, 63, F4, Barrass, Darling

*Free agent

Done deals

• Zane Trew, Jamaine Jones and Jordyn Baker delisted

Last edited by a moderator:
I love all of the backpedaling now going on.

Go back and have a read at the bullshit that was pushed in the Barrass thread.

2 days ago we were spruiking that he still had years of AA quality footy ahead of him, no back issues and the final piece of the puzzle for the Hawks to win a flag. They were getting a bargain at 2 first rounders.

We couldn't even get a pick for him this year FFS.

If things fall their way and the FS/academy kids come through, the Hawks might've traded him for no picks in the first 20.

McGovern falls over we have HEdwards and .......... holding up our backline.

There's going to be some very big individual bags kicked on us this year.................... even a Frosty backup at the Hawks is better than our main man Harry.

Still do this trade, but our KPD depth outside an aging McGovern is, well Eeeck!

We are so bottom 3 with the Tiggers for the next couple of years.

Here is the problem.

If the club has committed to Champion and i'm not saying they have but if they have and the club manages to get use say a hawks F2+WC future third to get an extra pick just inside 30 or F2+F2 to get a pick closer to 20 then the club needs to take 4 open main list spots to the draft or we potentially miss out on him.

This requires 2 main list players to be delisted between now and list lodgement 2.

If the club only wants him if he falls to the rookie draft then it is what it is but Freo have a cooked walters and have lost a lot of their front end smalls. They could potentially take him late in the draft.

There was supposed to be an agreement in place where WCE and Freo wouldn't **** with each other anymore (TBH it was pretty much just Freo ****ing us) however that's not how it seemed to play out during trade week.

They played nice during the year in the lead up with discussions around their players but I do feel as though there was some shafting going on during trade week. Wallsy wouldn't look me in the eye even though we were only saw each other briefly in passing a few times. You would think someone you have had 20 odd phone calls with in the last few months would at least give you a hello, a wave or look you in the eye.
Don’t see the issue with delisting 2 main list players? Few options

Here is the problem.

If the club has committed to Champion and i'm not saying they have but if they have and the club manages to get use say a hawks F2+WC future third to get an extra pick just inside 30 or F2+F2 to get a pick closer to 20 then the club needs to take 4 open main list spots to the draft or we potentially miss out on him.

This requires 2 main list players to be delisted between now and list lodgement 2.

If the club only wants him if he falls to the rookie draft then it is what it is but Freo have a cooked walters and have lost a lot of their front end smalls. They could potentially take him late in the draft.

There was supposed to be an agreement in place where WCE and Freo wouldn't **** with each other anymore (TBH it was pretty much just Freo ****ing us) however that's not how it seemed to play out during trade week.

They played nice during the year in the lead up with discussions around their players but I do feel as though there was some shafting going on during trade week. Wallsy wouldn't look me in the eye even though we were only saw each other briefly in passing a few times. You would think someone you have had 20 odd phone calls with in the last few months would at least give you a hello, a wave or look you in the eye.

I’d have thought that no more than 2 of Rotham, Witherden, Edwards or Burgiel are offered new contracts

Not sure Culley survives either but he’s on the rookie list and doesn’t help with main list spots

still some totally baffling decisions.

-overcommitting to baker resulting in zero leverage from what should've been a position of strength
-blurting out to the world baker was worth an early teens pick on day one (what the ****) further eroding any possible leverage
It was like going to a real estate agent who has a property worth $450k up for EOI and telling them that the Mrs absolutely loves the place and you have $550k to spend.

Hello sucker, you're paying $550k.

The good news is that we can look forward to the draft.

Pick 12 still has many great possibilities, like Lindsay, Hynes, Allen or some unknown slider.

The bad news is every time I look at the draft rankings in that group I remember we gave away the chance to get two of these players to dramatically overpay for Baker
I think we have organised a deal with Richmond contingent on the picks they get from Freo. Ensuring we get a pick in this group that we like

My bet is a miracle will occur and TT will fall through. And we still choose Bo.
movies-liar-liar.gif

Should be 0 of them. Absolute list cloggers

I think Burgiel is worth persevering with subject to a medical decision on his hamstrings which don’t seem to be able to hold together so far

Order of preference
1 - Witherden - whipping boy but serviceable and the right age still
2 - Burgiel (hopium on my part)
3 - Rotham
4 - L Edwards

It's the Tigers 23 and 24 in this draft I'd be going after for our futures pick

They'll already have 5 picks under 20, then the first pick of night 2, which is the pick 20 itself.

Pick 20 too expensive to target, they'll be selling that for a premium so I'd skip that and just focus on their last couple.

Will still be quality players available on the board.

-going after baker instead of UFAs to fill the list age gap while maintaining draft capital
-overcommitting to baker resulting in zero leverage from what should've been a position of strength
-blurting out to the world baker was worth an early teens pick on day one (what the ****) further eroding any possible leverage
-getting caught holding our dicks with no back up plan when the hawks moved into next years draft
-somehow about to be delisted owies being the piece that sweetens the carlton offer enough to accept (edit: and also sending 63+68 back to help them out WTF?)
-the entire concept of shipping off barrass with no intention to use whatever we get for him to bring in elite youth, but as a straight swap for baker
the sheer lack of creativity and seeming oneitis for baker really grinds my gears here. instead of going hard at free agents to fill the gap while still bringing in a top 3 talent they went all in on team richmond + the local kid. it's almost like our off season gameplan was copied from jon ralph talking points. i see these moves as irresponsible to the point of negligence.
i do think they did alright in the barrass deal (eventually). but i wonder how much clarke actually had to do with that and how much was the old guard cleaning up his mess.
this is the most clear and abrupt change in eras i can ever remember and i worry it has set the stage for things to come.
I wasn't a massive Simmo fan in his final years, but when he was under the pump, he stayed the course and went to the draft. He didn't try to save his job by doing the wrong thing, he held firm and put the club first. He has to be respected for that. I think most fans were resigned to the fact that we had to go to the draft and it'd be a long-ish rebuild.

Now that we got rid of Simmo, Nizzy, and Pieman, it seems the new cohort have sat in front of the board and said, "Yep, we'll get fast results". And the board fell for it. There's no short cut for us. We didn't have a top 10 draft pick for 10 years. You can't just bring in a few mid range players. You have to go to the top of the draft first, get the talent, and then bring in some established players.

I too, see these moves as irresponsible to the point of negligence. If we are 5 years down the track and sitting mid table, are people going to remember this draft? Are people going to hold Pyke accountable? There's two definitive forks in the road, and he chose trade over draft.

-going after baker instead of UFAs to fill the list age gap while maintaining draft capital
-getting caught holding our dicks with no back up plan when the hawks moved into next years draft
-somehow about to be delisted owies being the piece that sweetens the carlton offer enough to accept (edit: and also sending 63+68 back to help them out WTF?)
-the entire concept of shipping off barrass with no intention to use whatever we get for him to bring in elite youth, but as a straight swap for baker
the sheer lack of creativity and seeming oneitis for baker really grinds my gears here. instead of going hard at free agents to fill the gap while still bringing in a top 3 talent they went all in on team richmond + the local kid. it's almost like our off season gameplan was copied from jon ralph talking points. i see these moves as irresponsible to the point of negligence.
i do think they did alright in the barrass deal (eventually). but i wonder how much clarke actually had to do with that and how much was the old guard cleaning up his mess.
this is the most clear and abrupt change in eras i can ever remember and i worry it has set the stage for things to come.

Spot on

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Here is the problem.

Maybe he fancies you.

The good news is that we can look forward to the draft.

Pick 12 still has many great possibilities, like Lindsay, Hynes, Allen or some unknown slider.

The bad news is every time I look at the draft rankings in that group I remember we gave away the chance to get two of these players to dramatically overpay for Baker
Dramatically over pay for pick 12, baker and owies?

I wasn't a massive Simmo fan in his final years, but when he was under the pump, he stayed the course and went to the draft. He didn't try to save his job by doing the wrong thing, he held firm and put the club first. He has to be respected for that. I think most fans were resigned to the fact that we had to go to the draft and it'd be a long-ish rebuild.

Now that we got rid of Simmo, Nizzy, and Pieman, it seems the new cohort have sat in front of the board and said, "Yep, we'll get fast results". And the board fell for it. There's no short cut for us. We didn't have a top 10 draft pick for 10 years. You can't just bring in a few mid range players. You have to go to the top of the draft first, get the talent, and then bring in some established players.

I too, see these moves as irresponsible to the point of negligence. If we are 5 years down the track and sitting mid table, are people going to remember this draft? Are people going to hold Pyke accountable? There's two definitive forks in the road, and he chose trade over draft.
Pyke has been honest during the process. He told us he would use all means available to improve.
I think we have done OK and you are not seeing the bigger picture.

Its hard to argue that we didn't massively overpay for Baker.
In the long run for us here on BigFooty this is probably going to be the worst part.
Due to the trade of pick 3 this year, while Clarke remains at the helm, we cannot push back against any trades proposed about West Coast citing them as "nonsensical" or "unreasonable" and that such offers will never be accepted by West Coast under any circumstance.
West Coast have set the precedent. We now know what will be acceptable to West Coast and that standard is very low.
Rather than responding "you can't be serious" or "come back to reality" our response will just have to be "I hope the club's not that stupid" or a shrug emoji.

Even Port wont have list spots to give away any picks for to us. Our only option here is upgrading from pick 26 to say pick 16 from GWS or 17 from Doggies. It’s very hard to figure most how we get any picks in as additional sunless we go beyond 50

It’s not uncommon for clubs to leave spots open after the draft to look at train on players via the SSP or to add an extra player in the rookie draft

Clubs don’t have to fill their list on draft night

Here is the problem

(Insert a bunch of horseshit here)

You would think someone you have had 20 odd phone calls with in the last few months would at least give you a hello, a wave or look you in the eye.

Maybe he didn’t look you in the eye because you don’t work for West Coast and it was just the actions of a man that was just about to call security

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Back