List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Whose future picks would you have preferred?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links

Trade period
In:
12, F1, F2, F3, 73, Baker, Owies, Graham*
Out: 3, 63, F4, Barrass, Darling

*Free agent

Done deals

• Jai Culley, Alex Witherden and Coby Burgiel delisted

• Zane Trew, Jamaine Jones and Jordyn Baker delisted

Last edited by a moderator:
What I’d like to see us do from here :

Delist Rotham, Witherden and Edwards

Re-sign Culley and Burgiel

Sign 1 player as a DFA - Winder, Carroll or Prior

Draft :
12 - Best mid available*
26 - Best running HB or KPD available
?? - Use a F2 or F3 to trade back into this draft to get a HB or KPD based on who was drafted with 26
73 - Champion bid match

* If there’s a slider like Travaglia or Tauru at 12 then they’d have to be considered even though neither are mids

Far less worried about the bolded.

Lots of players can play loose back in teams handing out floggings and look good.

Almost fell out of my chair when some scrubber named him at HBF for best team of the prelim finals. Was playing on Zac Bailey from what I can see, who had a lazy 19 and 2.
Lawson Humphries is a real good player.
Highly skilled off of both sides.

He's going to be a jet.

Another look at Bo Allan

At pick 12 > slides to 15 the pure inside mids in the 1st round are likely gone.

Lindsay and Bo Allan can play wing. Which is an area we need to fix.

Berry small HFF.

Cooper Hynes would be a reach and is a HF / mid.

Davies from Claremont ranked around 17 to early 20's more of a taller utility. Kid knows running patterns and work rate. Watching g Davies I thought of Weddle from the Hawks but more playing forward.

Draft :
12 - Best mid available*
?? - Use a F2 or F3 to trade back into this draft to get a HB or KPD based on who was drafted with 26
73 - Champion bid match

* If there’s a slider like Travaglia or Tauru at 12 then they’d have to be considered even though neither are mids

Happy with this approach. Although if best mid available at 12 is worse than the best running half back, I'd go that way. Like if best mid is a Xavier O'Neil or Luke Foley type (both taken much later in the draft, but still).

I'm not sure how Bo Allan fits into that.

Backtracking so hard 😂

“In terms of how many both teams are getting games into, they are remarkably similar”.

Let’s compare the games for the under 22 players then.

Ginbey (23)
Hough (23)
Reid (20)
Maric (19)
Chesser (18)
Williams (18)
Brockman (10)
Long (7)
Dewar (7)
Johnston (6)
Hall (3)
Culley (3)
Bazzo (1)
Barnett (1)
Rawlison (1)
160 total games in 2024

Vs

Campbell (21)
Brown (18)
Banks (15)
Sonsie (14)
Mcauliffe (9)
Green (6)
Smith (4)
Gibcus (2)
Clarke (1)
90 total games in 2024

In Briz's defense he does say quite often he isn't across all our young players......or Richmond's.

Doesn't stop him holding an opinion of course. Often lacking in forethought and accuracy......but as the saying goes opinions are like assholes.....everyone has one. Some just stink more and others are simply full of ***t.

Here is an updated end of 2025 age by position chart. I have made some assumptions that L Edwards and Rotham are delisted and we will need another to go to take 5 picks and the contenders in danger are Culley, Burgiel and Witherden.

View attachment 2146695

Our glaring weakness is that only 24% of our list is in their prime years of 23 to 27. We are OL at the 28 and 29 mark but apart from Ryan, the other 5 are solid role players

Midfield group looks very concerning, question marks on all bar Harley going forward. If we miss on Warner….

Backtracking so hard 😂

“In terms of how many both teams are getting games into, they are remarkably similar”.

Let’s compare the games for the under 22 players then.

Ginbey (23)
Hough (23)
Reid (20)
Maric (19)
Chesser (18)
Williams (18)
Brockman (10)
Long (7)
Dewar (7)
Johnston (6)
Hall (3)
Culley (3)
Bazzo (1)
Barnett (1)
Rawlison (1)
160 total games in 2024

Vs

Campbell (21)
Brown (18)
Banks (15)
Sonsie (14)
Mcauliffe (9)
Green (6)
Smith (4)
Gibcus (2)
Clarke (1)
90 total games in 2024
M.Rioli 9
Bauer 3
Trezise 7

Missed some.

Old briztoon cops it.

There are always going to be some rose-coloured views on the club, and being an outsider, he will have the opposite. I don't think he has said anything outrageous. In some aspects I do agree with him.

I think there are a lot of holes that need to be addressed and push our rebuild and drafting the core group for another couple of years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Draft :
12 - Best mid available*
73 - Champion bid match

Best rated mids around there are outside mids like TT, Lindsay or Bo.

Unless we rate an inside mid higher than the so called experts.

Big call rolling the dice on Hotton.

Certainly not a massive group of mids ranked around pick 15.

Is there a world where Freo trade up to 12 to get Bo Allen?
Walls was on radio yesterday and was asked about Allan. He said he rated him, and thought he'd be on the cusp of being available at Freo's pick. But he then said he thought he was best as a high half back, and that Freo had plenty of that type. So reading between the lines, I'd say there's no chance Freo trade up for him, probably not drafting him even if he gets through.

Old briztoon cops it.

There are always going to be some rose-coloured views on the club, and being an outsider, he will have the opposite. I don't think he has said anything outrageous. In some aspects I do agree with him.

I think there are a lot of holes that need to be addressed and push our rebuild and drafting the core group for another couple of years.

When he stops ignoring that trade options can and do accelerate rebuilds he won't cop it so much.

And also doesn't brag on the Lions site he likes to come on here and stir Eagles supporters.

Midfield group looks very concerning, question marks on all bar Harley going forward. If we miss on Warner….
What's made this problem worse is that we haven't rotated Yeo from the mid to the half back or Kelly to half forward to try others in there. For example brockman proved he was far more effective, Hutchinson got a shot and did well, I think dewar would do well

Old briztoon cops it.

I mean I get it we've sucked for 3 years, thanks for the insights.......

However its like having kids though. Its ok if I critisize them and tell them what there doing wrong but I'm going to defend them against outsiders if they start talking smack. Especially if they just come in and point out their flaws consistently without ever acknowledging any positives.

We finish ahead of Richmond and that's it next year. North are going to be ready to launch a 4 or 5 spots. Adelaide strengthened, Gold Coast as well.

Maybe Melbourne fall back a few spots but they'll still be better than us, same with St Kilda and Essendon.

New coach, new game plan, paper thin depth in key backs.

We finish ahead of Richmond and that's it next year. North are going to be ready to launch a 4 or 5 spots. Adelaide strengthened, Gold Coast as well.

Maybe Melbourne fall back a few spots but they'll still be better than us, same with St Kilda and Essendon.

New coach, new game plan, paper thin depth in key backs.
North will win 7 or 8 games. I think there will be a big gap between Richmond, us and the third bottom side.

After further list assessment following the Trade Period, defender Alex Witherden, midfielder Jai Culley and uncapped youngster Coby Burgiel have been advised their time at the club has come to an end.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Back