List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Whose future picks would you have preferred?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links

Trade period
In:
12, F1, F2, F3, 73, Baker, Owies, Graham*
Out: 3, 63, F4, Barrass, Darling

*Free agent

Done deals

• Jai Culley, Alex Witherden and Coby Burgiel delisted

• Zane Trew, Jamaine Jones and Jordyn Baker delisted

Last edited by a moderator:
Graham took a risk then, Baker was not locked in when he signed on

He did yes

Which is probably one of the reasons we overpaid for Baker, because we'd committed to it on several ends.

I've said numerous times I don't agree with this part of what we did and it resulted in us overpaying.

But I can also understand why it turned out like that. Would be a great look for future free agents/recruits promising 2 guys something and not delivering on it. Along with the player managers we piss off (who frankly have way too much power) and other clubs.

He did yes

Which is probably one of the reasons we overpaid for Baker, because we'd committed to it on several ends.

I've said numerous times I don't agree with this part of what we did and it resulted in us overpaying.

But I can also understand why it turned out like that. Would be a great look for future free agents/recruits promising 2 guys something and not delivering on it. Along with the player managers we piss off (who frankly have way too much power) and other clubs.
We should have just grown a set and told Richmond that 26 is on the table and held firm, knowing full well that Baker wanted WC and I truly believe that Richmond would have taken that deal rather than risking the PSD or a player rejecting going to Freo and end up again in the PSD. Essentially getting nothing and still losing Baker.

Regarding delisting Witherden, Culley and Burgeil, I am also most surprised about Culley and Burgeil.

Following my initial disappointment, Culley came across as a bloke that will do anything to get the most out of himself but his limitations probably leave him with a low ceiling and a poor fit in the modern game. I hope he proves me wrong and goes on to be a good player somewhere.

I was disappointed at delisting Burgeil based on what I initially thought he projected to be. I heave watched most of our WAFL games over the last two years and he unfortunately could not get on the park for a lot of it and looked more and more disinterested when he did. That is on him cause I think he still has a lot to work with in the modern game if he gets his body and attitude right.

Ultimately, this board has collectively complained about holding players (list cloggers) too long. Hopefully this is now a sign that West Coast is ready to cycle through players more quickly to hopefully unearth more late and rookie gems than we have over the last decade or so.
Watched Burgeil as well my thoughts exactly.

We should have just grown a set and told Richmond that 26 is on the table and held firm, knowing full well that Baker wanted WC and I truly believe that Richmond would have taken that deal rather than risking the PSD or a player rejecting going to Freo and end up again in the PSD. Essentially getting nothing and still losing Baker.
My view of Baker may be different, but 14 was perhaps slightly overs and 26 under. There was no real middle option so in the end no big issues. He was their VC and a very solid worker.

At pick 12 > slides to 15 the pure inside mids in the 1st round are likely gone.

Lindsay and Bo Allan can play wing. Which is an area we need to fix.

Berry small HFF.

Cooper Hynes would be a reach and is a HF / mid.

Davies from Claremont ranked around 17 to early 20's more of a taller utility. Kid knows running patterns and work rate. Watching g Davies I thought of Weddle from the Hawks but more playing forward.
Berry is more than just a small HFF.
Could easily transition into a number of roles with his skill set.

Last edited:
Berry is more than just a small HFF.
Could easily transition into a number of roles his skill set.
I think there is a high chance we end up with Berry provided we don’t trade pick 12 for Brisbane’s F4.

Not my preference as you know but could well be the best available and he appeals to WCE.

My view of Baker may be different, but 14 was perhaps slightly overs and 26 under. There was no real middle option so in the end no big issues. He was their VC and a very solid worker.
you don't pay 100K for a 8 year old Hilux. Reliable workhorse yes, but for a 100K i'm getting a new Hilux

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Like I said a couple days ago, we're all losing our minds right now because we've analysed everything to within an inch of its life and either forgotten and don't quite know how valuable a player someone like Baker is. Once the season starts and people see what he can do (and how our pick 12 fares) people will simmer down.

Baker said to SENWA yesterday that his mind was elsewhere for the better part of this year and now for the first time in years he's actually looking forward to a pre-season.

What we did in the trade period was to try and steady the 60/70 point losses and try to be at least half decently competitive again for more games. I loved our Gather Round performance against the Swans. We took it to them for three and a bit quarters before quality won over in the end. Just do that most weeks and Ill be happy.

It's all built for Warner next year. And if we lose out on him? We take the picks to the draft. It is what it is.
Exactly. If the management knows how to use Baker properly that can really make a statement for you guys to start building up on the scoreboard. It’s kind of like us when we were a bit rattled on where to put Harry Sheezel and what suits him best. Last season he was struggling to play a mid to half forward role now he is developing so much better. So if you know how to use Owies and Baker and develop them into that position. You guys will be ready for next season, plus Baker is hyped for pre season.

I think there is a high chance we end up with Berry provided we don’t trade pick 12 for Brisbane’s F4.

Not my preference as you know but could well be the best available and he appeals to WCE.
He will be one of 3 or 4, if I’m guessing we will be having a good look at.

Lindsay, TT, Tauru and Allan could all be options due being ranked around that part of the draft and also not Vic Metro boys.

Wildcard pick could be a sliding Langford, someone slides I reckon.

Exactly. If the management knows how to use Baker properly that can really make a statement for you guys to start building up on the scoreboard. It’s kind of like us when we were a bit rattled on where to put Harry Sheezel and what suits him best. Last season he was struggling to play a mid to half forward role now he is developing so much better. So if you know how to use Owies and Baker and develop them into that position. You guys will be ready for next season, plus Baker is hyped for pre season.
Dude, this is like getting out for a golden duck and the guy at slip saying, "Don't worry about it, mate, it doesn't matter, you tried, that's all that matters".

He will be one of 3 or 4, if I’m guessing we will be having a good look at.

Lindsay, TT, Tauru and Allan could all be options due being ranked around that part of the draft and also not Vic Metro boys.

Wildcard pick could be a sliding Langford, someone slides I reckon.
Langford wouldn't be terrible if he slides. Definitely knows what he's doing around the ball. My only knock on him would be that he seems to rely heavily on his strength which may take a year or two to translate to AFL level.

Clarke stated that we are not done trading and we are trying to get back into the draft... What options does anyone think we have? I know Norths pick 2 is up for grabs, will we go after that?
PRetty sure we were always going to trade down 3 as we saw the guys we want at lower picks. Therefor it would make 0 sense for us to then trade more collateral to go back to pretty much the same pick we were looking to split.
I imagine we would be looking to get back in somewhere around picks 8-11 but not top 5. that in itself wont be easy to do and will cost plenty.

Langford wouldn't be terrible if he slides. Definitely knows what he's doing around the ball. My only knock on him would be that he seems to rely heavily on his strength which may take a year or two to translate to AFL level.

Langford is awesome, but I see him getting snapped up before us. Would definitely take if there

Anyone know why Moraes has slid a fair bit in the last year with regards to his likely draft value? Was spoken about as a possible top 5 selection then, and now seen a few with him around the 30 mark

Is it too late to join and give my 2 cents about trade week?

It's taken me a few days to absorb all the information, and as much as I don't like trading away a pick 3, I think the move to bring in senior players and trying to win more games in 2025 is the right move.

WC need a winning culture, and even though Richmond has a great hand of picks, they are going to be in for years of pain and will be the "new North" stuck to the bottom for the next 5 years.

WC have Wes Walley, Charlie Banfield and Koby Evans as NGA/FS next year - our F1 pick (likely top 5) needs to be kept and used on a prime mid in 2025 (if not used in trade for the Chad).

The Hawks F1 we should look to trade to get back into this year's draft. 1 picks in the 10-15 range or 2 picks in the 20-35 range would be ideal.

It will be interesting to see how many later picks get swallowed up amounting to points to match bids. Will bring our pick in the 70s lower.

Nailed it here imo. I think we are pick swap back into the pointy end of this draft. We will still have plenty to work with next year with another bottom 5 finish

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Back