List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Whose future picks would you have preferred?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links

Trade period
In:
12, F1, F2, F3, 73, Baker, Owies, Graham*
Out: 3, 63, F4, Barrass, Darling

*Free agent

Done deals

• Jai Culley, Alex Witherden and Coby Burgiel delisted

• Zane Trew, Jamaine Jones and Jordyn Baker delisted

Last edited by a moderator:
Phil already said that Brisbane were gunning for a second round pick (which means 26) and weren't budging.

Interesting

Pick 26 vs pick 73 goes directly against what that article says was "straightforward exchange"

"West Coast went cold on what appeared to be a straightforward exchange on the final day of trading as they scrambled to get a deal done for premiership defender Tom Barrass."

Phil v Woodcock??

Interesting

Pick 26 vs pick 73 goes directly against what that article says was "straightforward exchange"

"West Coast went cold on what appeared to be a straightforward exchange on the final day of trading as they scrambled to get a deal done for premiership defender Tom Barrass."

Phil v Woodcock??
A public park rubbish bin has more credibility than Woodcock.

A good run at things and I think he could play anywhere it's just about development. He is one of my absolute favourites in the draft.

I mean the absolute best would mean he ends up like Lecras before doing his knee where he was looking like becoming a high end midfielder who would also kick a couple of goals a game. Just pure class. I mean Lecras got very close to that in 2014/2015 but he lost quite a bit of athleticism due to the knee.

In saying that I think Berry could be the one in this draft that is a forward now who has spent a bit of time in the midfield but due to his smarts, ability to read the play and kicking could make an elite HB.

I do however have a type when it comes to draftees and smart footballers are something that perhaps I overrate. Maybe I see more to them than is there.

There will also be either a decent quality grunt or outside mid at pick 26 or there will be plenty of tall options. I think the tall options in this draft have really come on and been undersold.

It's also why I think (without someone going over my head and trading the hawks F1) i'd really like to have an extra pick before 30. I personally think GWS pick 20 is probably the easiest to get our hands on now.

With teams holding multiple picks in front of us i'm expecting 2 to be off the board before our first pick.

Richmond not only need to take a lot of picks but the reason I don't mention chasing 1 or 2 of theirs is I think they will chase the North pick hard. North turned down 12 & 14 for pick 2 before it was offered to us. Will they accept 10 & 11 on it's own. If I was North it's hard. At 10/11 the best 2 talls could be off the table (but probably the second is still there). Richmond and Melbourne if that trade happened I would think 6 & 9 are talls. Do the saints reach for a true tall as well is an interesting question.

Richmond in that scenario could go small with 1,2 and 6 and then look to use their 18,20,23 and 24 to fill other positions on the ground. For me pick 6 is where the top rated tall comes off the board. Maybe Melbourne with 5 but I think they might go small then tall.

St Kilda who knows. The last time they had back to back picks and went with the hard nosed mid / HB types they got burnt in Clarke + Coffield. A genuine mid and then an athletically elite hybrid in Tauru makes a lot of sense.

If just can't see north being set with pick 2 as they have nothing else. However pantskyle probably has more of an idea than they do. They could use pick 2 and then look to use their future first to buy back in for a couple of picks in the 20's.

If they do that maybe a couple of Richmond's later picks do become available for the right offer.

Also makes me wonder in that case if people here would be very happy or very annoyed if the club traded 12 and the hawks F2 for Norths F1 live.

If Hewett can come back fit (I can't comment and don't have enough details as im on the other side of the country anyway) along with Hutch there's those 2 plus potentially Maric and the 3 traded players / FA's to bring into the best 22 already. So we've lost Barrass & Darling (assuming old coaching structure) from the best 22 that still means 3 more players to fit in.

Would people still be upset if that happened and we were able to trade the Hawks future first to Richmond for 23 & 24? Just take this draft at 23,24 & 26 plus champion and go to next years draft / trade period armed with our future 1,2,3, NM F1 plus Hawks future third.

2 guaranteed picks in the top 5 of next years draft with a stronger top end or still with the ability to land a top 2 draftee and add Chad Warner.

More competitive next year with some more young talent but a bit more speculative from this draft and then add either 2 very high level picks next year even if Warner is no longer interested in coming. I personally would prefer 23,24,26 and have 2 rolled gold picks / players next year. I think the top end of next years draft is at a higher level.

I was keen to trade 3 for Richmonds f1 so would jump at 12 and Hawks F2 for norths f1, absolutely.

23,24,26 is acceptable to me, don't think any of our draftee's are playing next year anyway and the more loaded up we are for 2025 the better in my opinion.

This is the draft to get talented role players who can go develop in the 2s for 12-18 months while we get the seniors back playing competitive footy, and be ready to step up once our 2021-23 draft players step into the shoes of our Yeos, Kelly and Govs. Bunch of picks in the 20's in a deep draft is perfect for that. Then be the club best placed next year to take multiple first rounders in a draft where WA talent is better represented than this year.

A public park rubbish bin has more credibility than Woodcock.
Rant ON.

And basic journalistic and editorial standards have gone out the door also.
How can a basic errors such as...
The Lions have access to highly-touted father-son Levi Ashcroft — whose brother Levi just one a Norm Smith Medal
pass proof reading or the editor.
And
Lachie Neale runs there midfield
basic there/their mistakes that are not only made but missed in the re-read and by the editorial staff.

I expect better grammar standards from most BF posters. And journalists are supposedly doing this on a day to day basis as a job.

Rant OFF

I did try and tell him this a few days ago that we tried this and it was Plan A but according to him it was still ALL Clarkes fault & he messed up plan B.
“The club tried this, 200k extra a year and the afl still said it was still going to be band 4 not band 3. This along with he who will not be mentioned is what ****ed us on the Baker trade.”

Is there something ambiguous about this? Guess who is responsible for list management…

Yep. The list manager.

“The club tried this, 200k extra a year and the afl still said it was still going to be band 4 not band 3. This along with he who will not be mentioned is what ****ed us on the Baker trade.”

Is there something ambiguous about this? Guess who is responsible for list management…

Yep. The list manager.

Your acting like Clarke went rouge & it was all just him. Yep he is the list manager but you’re dreaming if you think what he says goes. Pyke & the board have to sign off on it (I assume). He clearly could have done some things better but it’s clear you just don’t like him so doesn’t matter what happens.

Maybe give it a few years & then judge.

Rant ON.

And basic journalistic and editorial standards have gone out the door also.

Rant OFF
I find myself reading articles in major newspapers and some name will spring up.....' "bla blah blah", Parker said '. I'll be like, "well who's this campaigner Parker?". Then I'll back track through the article and find this Parker guy has never been introduced. Came from nowhere. Pulled out of someone's arse.

What I suspect is happening is the journo will take the article to the editor, the editor will decide it's too long and just edit bits out. So the intro, "Gary Parker, CEO of XYZ Co" will get the cut. So you'll be reading along and then some campaigner is being quoted and you don't know who he is.

This happens all the time.

I think Armstrong, Shanahan and Tauru could all be off the table by our pick. With multiple teams having multiple picks and how even the draft is I can see a couple of the higher rated talls combined with Tauru's end of year plus combine dominance being a point of difference.
How do they compare with the freo guys we were getting?

On SM-S921B using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I really hope someone gives Culley ago.

AFL media states you have interest in Grainger Barrass. Seems like a top dude, the down fall I can see is in his DNA.

DGB just didn’t seem to be able to build a tank and see out 4 qtrs. This lead to frustration in game and silly errors. When confident he has decent foot skills.
6’4 and 80kg - be trying to add bulk at the same time he’s trying to add fitness.

As a former string bean I know how hard that can be

Weedon mK II

WCE_phil regarding the comment about how we were always going to split pick 3 because of pervasive flight risk concerns.

Supposedly four of our top five rated players gave off red flags. Say we take that as an absolute deal breaker and put a line through those guys, and make the assumption that the one exception is gone by pick 3. Then we're selecting from outside the bracket of premium players, while holding a premium pick. So selling it is the rational option.

At the same time, they didn't all express it explicitly, this was us making some interpretive predictions, right? It's also clear that there's a top tier of 4-5 players in this draft before it really evens out. So not being able to select from that premium group is a big deal. This, of course, is true in general. Compared to a top 5 draft pick, you're 50% less likely to land an AA calibre player with a pick from 6-10, and 75% less likely with a teens pick. For a 200 game player, moving from top 5 to 6-10 makes it 50% less likely. (Consider also this post recently comparing the prospects available at respective picks in past drafts.)

It's very clear that access to those first few picks in any draft is invaluable. Turning 3 into 12 is incurring a big harm. And we're willing to bite that bullet when the prospects in question don't even force our hand by explicitly saying they won't come to WA, but when we're just worried they've given off enough vibes.

Unless we're literally coerced by kids expressly saying they won't come to WA (ala Sheezel/Wardlaw), shouldn't the significantly higher odds of landing an elite player with that pick trump our inferred worries about homesickness, unless we have a really high degree of credence in the belief that the player won't play in WA?

And granting even that there was good reason to be concerned about each individual. What's the clubs broader philosophy about what should be done here? Hell, if I was an 18 year old Victorian kid guaranteed to be drafted regardless, I'd avowedly prefer to stay home than move state too. But every time we give deference to that feeling, we're in the process of creating a culture where fear of moving interstate isn't a normal thing one will inevitable have to get over, but where kids develop knowing that they can express that feeling and have us actually avoid drafting them. So they and everyone else are more likely to legitimise the preference and express it more actively. It then seems more worrying to us and we avoid such players even more. This problem is only going to get worse. So it seems to me that there's also rational decision-theoretic reasons to take a stand and not easily capitulate to a draftee giving off those signals.

With those two considerations in mind, it should take a lot to be convinced that such a downgrade is worth it. But it seems like the club is inclined the opposite way. It seems to me as though the club simply doesn't value high picks enough, or at least, has a standing (implicit or explicit) strategy of favouring multiple picks over one higher one, given our recent history of downgrading on multiple occasions. We're then overly prone to rationalising such actions with reasoning like 'well we could get the player(s) we rated at the later pick anyway', when the chances of that judgement being a good one often turn out poor.

Wondering if you have a view on any of that.

Kids aren't going to stop crying about staying in their home state until teams call them on it, draft them, then show them going interstate isn't actually that bad.

Kids at 18 don't know what they want. They certainly don't know what living interstate is like.

It certainly shouldn't impact draft strategy to the degree that is seemingly is. Not every kid is JHF.

Last edited:
Having the smallest bloke on the field crack in harder than everyone else unconditionally is going to make it pretty hard for other s to pick and choose when to go

I love the fact we have Baker now, I do think we massively overpaid but I totally get the appeal
Yeh i think we'll get over it 1/3 of the way thru the season.

geez there’s a couple of posters on B/F who need a spinal transplant.
Toughen up you f**king sooks!
They claim to post here to get ideas out there for debate!
It’s not debating it’s just miserable whining!
Debate? What are you debating while spewing your shite non stop?
LET IT GO!!
MOVE ON!!
Shut up grand dad

Go back to bed

Your acting like Clarke went rouge & it was all just him. Yep he is the list manager but you’re dreaming if you think what he says goes. Pyke & the board have to sign off on it (I assume). He clearly could have done some things better but it’s clear you just don’t like him so doesn’t matter what happens.

Maybe give it a few years & then judge.
Probably best not to write someone is dreaming then go on to say the fact on which you are relying to make that statement is an assumption.

He did go rogue. I’ve been fortunate enough to have a small window into the goings on this year and if I ever get the green light I’ll be posting faster than you can blink in detail why I feel so strongly about him having absolutely nothing to do with the club going forward. The outcomes of his idiotic, amateur trades will speak for themselves but there’s far more to it than that.

Kids aren't going to stop crying about staying in their home state until teams call them on it, draft them, then show them going interstate isn't actually that bad.

Kids at 18 don't know what they want. They certainly don't know what living interstate is like.

It certainly shouldn't impact draft strategy to the degree that is seemingly is. Not every kid is JHF.
It's also so overblown when kids say they don't want to leave their home state. I think you would struggle to find any 18 year old that is keen to leave their own state - of course they would rather get drafted to play AFL and still be around all their friends and family. Doesn't mean they won't like it when they get over and settle in.

Footballers relocating have it pretty easy if we're being honest. They instantly get dropped into a club with similar aged people who likely have similar interests - instant group of mates. Plus they get to go home every offseason and bye week, they're essentially living in their club's state part time.

Since JHF people are so spooked.

Anyone else kinda disappointed we haven't seen much of a buy in to the club from Harley since all the Grand Final festivities concluded? I don't know how much contact he's had with the club, supposedly he's met up with Graham and Baker last week and had a dinner date with McQualter, but guys like Barnett, Maric and Hutchinson are all interstaters and they're still in Perth taking in the AFLW game..meh

As soon as the season finished BANG straight out the door on the plane back home.

It's a troll making the statement painting doom and gloom bleating over and over it will take the Eagles 10 years to rebuild through the draft.

It's a dumb, stupid statement and position to take because no-one uses JUST the draft to rebuild do they?

Feel free to show us where that has happened EVER.

That was / is Britoons trolling at his best. And he admitted as much on the Lions board. He likes stirring up Eagles supporters here. Once I read that on ignore he went.

So no matter what you think he's on about to me he is a troll. A more subtle troll than most because he sprinkles in elements of logic now and again.

Anyway. He hasn't changed and he's back on ignore.

End of discussion. Let's just stop feeding trolls.
Bro, I didn’t admit any such thing.

Again, that’s you telling fibs.

I did say I poke one particular poster (mattyc75 I’ll give you one guess who), because said poster spent a couple of months protesting against the academies a bit too much.

My main point about building through the draft, and I probably said it two years ago now, was that West Coast lacked the resources, i.e. trading out players, to generate extra draft picks to help accelerate your rebuild.

Then I said something along the lines of, it would take 10 years of drafting, using your natural picks, to acquire enough players, when you account for 50% not making it, if you weren’t able to bring in extra picks.

There’s half a dozen regular West Coast posters here, and no GoEaglesGoSGIO is one of them, who post similar stuff to what I post, but Obeanie1 never has a go at them.

Hotton could well be the Hail Mary let's
" put all our chips on red 5 and hope for the best".

Start him at halfback like Sheezel until he regains full confidence in the knee.

If the likes of TT, Lindsay, Allan and Trainor are gone.
Pretty sure both Monocle and WCE_phil have both said Hotton has made it clear he doesn’t want to leave Melbourne.

Anyone else kinda disappointed we haven't seen much of a buy in to the club from Harley since all the Grand Final festivities concluded? I don't know how much contact he's had with the club, supposedly he's met up with Graham and Baker last week and had a dinner date with McQualter, but guys like Barnett, Maric and Hutchinson are all interstaters and they're still in Perth taking in the AFLW game..meh

As soon as the season finished BANG straight out the door on the plane back home.
Sounds like most 19 year old kids who have spent their first year away from home

Well if as a young bloke you had the choice of earning some extra coin as a racing Victoria ambassador and attending functions at home as opposed to staying in Perth and attending some meaningless aflw game most would take the coin.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Back