List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Whose future picks would you have preferred?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links

Trade period
In:
12, F1, F2, F3, 73, Baker, Owies, Graham*
Out: 3, 63, F4, Barrass, Darling

*Free agent

Done deals

• Jai Culley, Alex Witherden and Coby Burgiel delisted

• Zane Trew, Jamaine Jones and Jordyn Baker delisted

Last edited by a moderator:
Another option would be to trade Hawthorn’s F2 and F3 for 28 and 31, once the Kako bid is made then trade 26 for Essendon’s F2.

Net result is
OUT: 26, F2 (HAW), F3 (HAW)
IN: 28, 31, F2 (ESS)

We get two good picks and Essendon get a good pick they can use after a bid.
28 and 31 may land a Davies, Urquhart or an Oliver if lucky.

A couple of likely talls around 30 that would shore up our back half in time.

Names bouncing up and down the rankings every week.

Just need to be wary of that Champion bid coming in the 30's that would take out any pick traded in around that spot.

It’s garbage, if Nth wanted Cadman they don’t trade pick one. Everyone knew that GWS was into Cadman. The whole pick swap was between the 4 clubs with everyone getting to where they wanted to be in that draft. GWS to pick one to get Cadman, Nth to pick 2 & 3 to get Sheezle and Wardlaw, Eagles move down to get players they were interested in and Port to get JHF home.
Rawlings would look like an absolute clown to be saying yeah we wanted Cadman but realistically couldn’t get him because we had pick one.

They had to essentially trade pick 1 to maximise value for JHF though. If they were staying put at 1, they were taking Cadman.

You make up your own mind mate. Just as there's people here who lap up what Old Mate Philly says, there's other people silently rolling their eyes because they know it's BS.

Let's agree to disagree and let people have their own opinions on it. Time to move on.
Some is absolute BS, some legit. All part of the game. I think he may have even admitted to being a miscreant and trying to muddy the waters.
s-l1200.jpg
I for one welcome another perspective and think that backing in your own judgment/opinion is to be commended.

The next time we will be legitimately contending will be when Reid is like 27-28 at least. I'll lock in Hough as well to that team with a couple of vets still able to contribute. No one else just yet has shown they will be around then. *We have a handful of maybe's compared to 2021 when the cupboard was bare which is a good place to be.

We may crack an elimination final or two between then but a realistic top four finish let alone multiple is no chance.

Loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong way to go.
That's a little pessimistic. We should be contending by 2030 which means we should be pushing top 4 before then.

The next time we will be legitimately contending will be when Reid is like 27-28 at least. I'll lock in Hough as well to that team with a couple of vets still able to contribute. No one else just yet has shown they will be around then. *We have a handful of maybe's compared to 2021 when the cupboard was bare which is a good place to be.

We may crack an elimination final or two between then but a realistic top four finish let alone multiple is no chance.

Loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong way to go.

So not 10 years and 80 players later then?

Sounds like we are making progress.:thumbsu:

28 and 31 may land a Davies, Urquhart or an Oliver if lucky.

A couple of likely talls around 30 that would shore up our back half in time.

Names bouncing up and down the rankings every week.

Just need to be wary of that Champion bid coming in the 30's that would take out any pick traded in around that spot.
If Oliver is available at 26 we should take him there, doubt he’d slide further than that. I’d be looking at KPDs with the Bombers picks, some very good options in that range.

If a bid comes for Champion in the 30s I’m very happy to let it go through to the keeper. Late 40s/early 50s would be happy to match with 63, leaving 68 to come in 15-20 picks and take a Johnson, Ough, Boxshall, Dennis oh wait…

Bullsh1t. Source?
Um hi CountryLad, I come in peace, just reading through your board and I'm quite curious with the Cadman story, as all of Australia know we need a key forward to help Nick, in his draft year I think I had Aaron around that pick 5/6 mark and we all know the story why he went pick #1, never the less he's a very good key forward who will be an asset to the Giants in the future.

I don't remember Brady saying that because in earnest being a very exciting prospect we would have picked him, but I know that we were heavily into Harry Sheezel and that if a trade couldn't or didn't happen he would be our boy, second on our whiteboard was George Wardlaw and its no surprise that when we got those picks we took him at our second pick. IF Brady did say something along those lines before the draft, I assume it was a tactic to see what happens which would make sense if you know the opposition like that player. I have a feeling its been happening {to a much lesser extent in this draft}.

That's a little pessimistic. We should be contending by 2030 which means we should be pushing top 4 before then.
I've personally thought that any new coach should be able to achieve results (top 4 and deep finals) in 3 years even considering that good lists don't often have their coaches move on.

We are literally that far back in the pack to do anything immediate, and by 2027 we should have a mini😜 peak before (poor timing list wise) any gains we try to make are offset by our best players retiring.

I've personally thought that any new coach should be able to achieve results (top 4 and deep finals) in 3 years even considering that good lists don't often have their coaches move on.

We are literally that far back in the pack to do anything immediate, and by 2027 we should have a mini😜 peak before (poor timing list wise) any gains we try to make are offset by our best players retiring.
Our best players won't be retiring in 2027

3 of the 6 you name as our Fwds in 2026 will be 29, 28 and 27, so you’ll be thinking we are in the finals by then?

Appreciate different views of where we are at (ie you all super positive and the like and me being, we’ve been rooted since 2021 and not seeing a rebuild yet), but suppose I could be coloured in that I went to work Monday morning all positive and then old mate Clarkey spat in my coffee, stole my cheese toasty and shat in the toilet without flushing.

Been grumpy ever since!
With that sort of breakfast no wonder you're grumpy. Try going carb free and/or intermittent fasting. You'll find you'll be able to manage your emotions much better.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mods can we get a significant dates added to the top of this thread - ND, RD & PSD and any other list cut off dates?

That way we can know when to come back and avoid the same cyclical argument that's been going for the last 5 days straight.

If Oliver is available at 26 we should take him there, doubt he’d slide further than that. I’d be looking at KPDs with the Bombers picks, some very good options in that range.

If a bid comes for Champion in the 30s I’m very happy to let it go through to the keeper. Late 40s/early 50s would be happy to match with 63, leaving 68 to come in 15-20 picks and take a Johnson, Ough, Boxshall, Dennis oh wait…
There was a time when I thought we'd grab FOS and Travaglia early shuffle off 26 for baker then use the back end of the draft on boxshall,Dennis and malakai ahhh they where the days sigh

On SM-A155F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Um hi CountryLad, I come in peace, just reading through your board and I'm quite curious with the Cadman story, as all of Australia know we need a key forward to help Nick, in his draft year I think I had Aaron around that pick 5/6 mark and we all know the story why he went pick #1, never the less he's a very good key forward who will be an asset to the Giants in the future.

I don't remember Brady saying that because in earnest being a very exciting prospect we would have picked him, but I know that we were heavily into Harry Sheezel and that if a trade couldn't or didn't happen he would be our boy, second on our whiteboard was George Wardlaw and its no surprise that when we got those picks we took him at our second pick. IF Brady did say something along those lines before the draft, I assume it was a tactic to see what happens which would make sense if you know the opposition like that player. I have a feeling its been happening {to a much lesser extent in this draft}.
Yes thanks for clearing that up. TerryFilk

Our best players won't be retiring in 2027
Our oldies include 5/10 of our top ten from this season:
PlayerAgeB & F
McGovern, Jeremy32yr 6mth1
Cripps, Jamie32yr 5mth6
Yeo, Elliot31yr2
Kelly, Tim30yr 2mth10
Hunt, Jayden29yr 6mth-
Sheed, Dominic29yr 6mth-
Ryan, Liam28yr-
Duggan, Liam27yr 10mth4
Owies, Matt27yr 7mth-
Cole, Tom27yr 4mth-
Flynn, Matthew27yr 1mth-
By the end of 2027 we probably lose 4 of these guys.

Those hitting or dropping off past the nominal age of 30 and retiring in a steady stream will be Ryan, Duggan, our only ruck and a good % of our current best 22 in Owies, Cole, Baker & Graham.

Our oldies include 5/10 of our top ten from this season:
PlayerAgeB & F
McGovern, Jeremy32yr 6mth1
Cripps, Jamie32yr 5mth6
Yeo, Elliot31yr2
Kelly, Tim30yr 2mth10
Hunt, Jayden29yr 6mth-
Sheed, Dominic29yr 6mth-
Ryan, Liam28yr-
Duggan, Liam27yr 10mth4
Owies, Matt27yr 7mth-
Cole, Tom27yr 4mth-
Flynn, Matthew27yr 1mth-
By the end of 2027 we probably lose 4 of these guys.

Those hitting or dropping off past the nominal age of 30 and retiring in a steady stream will be Ryan, Duggan, our only ruck and a good % of our current best 22 in Owies, Cole, Baker & Graham.
We'll lose them before 2027. Thankfully we will have other players coming through.

I'm hoping the club look to have more attacking players with better skills in defence. I would like to see the club prep Ryan for HB through the off season and see how he goes.
This is something I've been asking to be done for a few years now.

When I first suggested it, people didn't respond well.

I'd be very happy if his happened.

[emoji6][emoji[emoji6]]" data-quote="CountryLad" data-source="post: 0" class="bbCodeBlock bbCodeBlock--expandable bbCodeBlock--quote js-expandWatch">
Yes thanks for clearing that up. [emoji[emoji6][emoji6]][emoji[emoji6][emoji6]]]TerryFilk

There were [emoji6]-[emoji[emoji6][emoji6]] other accounts saying the same thing months / a year or so ago but I can’t find them now.

Went on North’s board a year or so ago and seen people mentioning this too.

keep getting trade week ptsd every time my youtube algo pops out a draft vid
apocalypse now horror GIF by Maudit

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Back