List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Whose future picks would you have preferred?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links

Trade period
In:
12, F1, F2, F3, 73, Baker, Owies, Graham*
Out: 3, 63, F4, Barrass, Darling

*Free agent

Done deals

• Jai Culley, Alex Witherden and Coby Burgiel delisted

• Zane Trew, Jamaine Jones and Jordyn Baker delisted

Last edited by a moderator:
I’ve made my thoughts on Clarke and his decision making pretty clear. Our first choice midfield is 19yo Harley, an outside 30 year old trying to play inside and a 31 year old with a significant recent injury history all roving to a terrible ruckman.

Why would you want an elite extractor with the best footy IQ in the draft or an absolute pro who gets to every contest?

Next year we’re likely to trade or 1R and F1 for Warner and the year after those the Tassie draft compromise starts so where do the elite premiership mids come from?
Really hope we’re desperately trying to get back into this years top 10. Very unlikely because everyone rates this years top 10 (funny that) but I’d be shopping our F1 and the Hawks F2 to everyone.

The best bet to get back into the top 10 I think will be Melbourne at 9.

Not sure Saints will be wanting to give up 7 and 8, Tigers will probably be happy to push 10, or later, back into 2025, but they are outside top 10.

Just can't see anyone else giving up a top 10 pick unless you pay way way overs. Maybe if Toby is the player some here think we do look at pick 9 if he's available there and make a decent offer.
1729635740772.png

The best bet to get back into the top 10 I think will be Melbourne at 9.

Melbourne just traded a bundle of picks to get pick 9. They're not on-trading it.

Interesting crows don't take Draper.! If he has heard theyre not that into him, would we trade F1 for pick 4 and F3? I think in 4 yrs from now FOS and draper will be the 2 in this draft that will be flying.
You have to give up more than a F3 to get into the top 5. It would have to be a F2 possibly more.

Really hope we’re desperately trying to get back into this years top 10. Very unlikely because everyone rates this years top 10 (funny that) but I’d be shopping our F1 and the Hawks F2 to everyone.
This is the crazy thing. It’s like changing your money twice for no reason. Trade your AU$100 with 20% commission only to then change your now $80 worth of foreign currency straight back to Aussie dollars with 20% commission and your $100 is now $64. These are the peanuts we’re dealing with which is why it would make no sense to try and trade back into the top end of the draft after having just given up pick 3.

Our F2 for Richmond’s 24 and the pick swap I’ve mentioned with Essendon [26, F2 (HAW), F3 (WCE) for 28, 31, F2 (ESS)] are the only two trades in the 1R or 2R I can see without us leaving it feeling like we’ve been at a P Diddy freak off.

Would leave us with
12-Lindsay
24-Hynes
28-Oliver
31-O’Farrell
73-Stumpf
Rookie A-Knobel/Hayes
Rookie B-Champion

3-(WCE F1)
12-(HAW F1)
26-(ESS F2)
49-(HAW F3)

Cam’s latest rankings. Very interesting indeed.

01: LEVI ASHCROFT.
02: FINN O'SULLIVAN.
03: HARVEY LANGFORD.
04: SAM LALOR.
05: JAGGA SMITH.
06: MURPHY REID.
07: SID DRAPER.
08: JOSH SMILLIE.
09: ALIX TAURU.
10: HARRY ARMSTRONG.
11: TOBIE TRAVAGLIA.
12: BO ALLAN.
13: LEONARDO LOMBARD.
14: ISAAC KAKO.
15: TAJ HOTTON.
16: XAVIER LINDSAY.
17: LUKE TRAINOR.
18: JOE BERRY.
19: JACK WHITLOCK.
20: JOBE SHANAHAN.
21: COOPER HYNES.
22: SAM MARSHALL.
23: MATT WHITLOCK.
24: JESSE DATTOLI.
25: JONTY FAULL.
26: HARRISON OLIVER.
27: TOM GROSS.
28: OLLIE HANNAFORD.
29: ALEX DODSON.
30: CHRISTIAN MORAES.

We won’t pick Hotton so going off that looks like Lindsay and Moraes.
Do you think Lombard is being underrated ?

On SM-S921B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Melbourne just traded a bundle of picks to get pick 9. They're not on-trading it.
Agreed. Unless the player they were after isn't there. But the reality is that there's no real viable pathway back into the top 10 unless it's a massive overpay.

We've blown our chances with that, so lets just try to pick up some back end of first round, picks in the 20's if needed, and move on to next year.

We should trade out all our picks for players that will fill the gap we have in the age bracket 25 -35. We are in that window of gaining another wooden spoon so we may as well have another crack at it.
No wait we have more lets F**k up next years draft, so we can jump back into this years draft.
More news we have promised Tom Clurey we would take him this year as he is in the age bracket only 31 when he starts playing for us.
We are a destination club if you are ready for retirement, well done eagles

Sub, ever heard of it?

If you're going to quote stats you need to at least look at the proper ones cuzzin. Carroll was sub impacted in 9 of the 15 games you mentioned.

Excluding sub games he's suddenly averaging 15.5 touches a game, and this is getting scrap mid time behind Cripps, Walsh, Kennedy, Cera etc etc.

Much like Dev, if you put him at the coal face and let him actually play football, he's reasonable.

Wouldn't expect huge things from him, but he seems handy at AFL level, so would add reasonable mid depth to a list which is lacking. Sensible SSP selection.

Kelly is a peaheart, Harley is 5yrs old and Yeos body is broken. Need someone to fetch the footy for us. Graham better help in this space, but Carroll also could.
I've never actually seen him play, just saw his stats. That's why I asked, cos I know nothing about him lol. Thought it might be he was the sub in some of the games, but wouldn't have thought he'd be the sub so often.

Whilst it would be lovely to get into the top 10 I'd actually be targeting GWS 15 and 16 or either with 21, put the Hawks F1 on the table with a F3 and see what they think, not sure they'll really be that into this draft as they are chasing a flag now.

Looking at the data and the article below (yes, I'm aware it's from 3 years ago but still relevant analysis) it explains how there is only really a 20% chance that a top 10 pick turn into an All Australian.

You want a champion team, not a team of champions. I'm not as phased with our lack of top 5 picks but what concerns me is that we used to hit the nail on the head with later and rookie picks (Waterman, McGovern) but we haven't unearthed too many gems in a while.

Tyrell Dewar is my bet for our next rookie star

And it's not like dewer was a random late pick was it.
Harvey johnston looks pretty good, long hopefully comes back strong from his injury.

On SM-S921B using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cam’s latest rankings. Very interesting indeed.

01: LEVI ASHCROFT.
02: FINN O'SULLIVAN.
03: HARVEY LANGFORD.
04: SAM LALOR.
05: JAGGA SMITH.
06: MURPHY REID.
07: SID DRAPER.
08: JOSH SMILLIE.
09: ALIX TAURU.
10: HARRY ARMSTRONG.
11: TOBIE TRAVAGLIA.
12: BO ALLAN.
13: LEONARDO LOMBARD.
14: ISAAC KAKO.
15: TAJ HOTTON.
16: XAVIER LINDSAY.
17: LUKE TRAINOR.
18: JOE BERRY.
19: JACK WHITLOCK.
20: JOBE SHANAHAN.
21: COOPER HYNES.
22: SAM MARSHALL.
23: MATT WHITLOCK.
24: JESSE DATTOLI.
25: JONTY FAULL.
26: HARRISON OLIVER.
27: TOM GROSS.
28: OLLIE HANNAFORD.
29: ALEX DODSON.
30: CHRISTIAN MORAES.

We won’t pick Hotton so going off that looks like Lindsay and Moraes.
Or Berry

And we lost access to both to get…Baker

I don’t think we should’ve let go of pick 3 either as it was a poor trade but let’s not misrepresent it

We didn’t lose access to both for Baker, we lost access to one of them for Baker and whoever we take with pick 12

There’s also no guarantee that FOS makes it to pick 3 anyway

Whilst it would be lovely to get into the top 10 I'd actually be targeting GWS 15 and 16 or either with 21, put the Hawks F1 on the table with a F3 and see what they think, not sure they'll really be that into this draft as they are chasing a flag now.

They said no to 3 for 15&16, can't see the Hawks F1 moving the needle for them

It'd have to be ours

Looking at the data and the article below (yes, I'm aware it's from 3 years ago but still relevant analysis) it explains how there is only really a 20% chance that a top 10 pick turn into an All Australian.

You want a champion team, not a team of champions. I'm not as phased with our lack of top 5 picks but what concerns me is that we used to hit the nail on the head with later and rookie picks (Waterman, McGovern) but we haven't unearthed too many gems in a while.

Tyrell Dewar is my bet for our next rookie star
AA selection is a poor comparison. There's lots of AA players that you'd be disappointed if you got with a top 5 pick.

The goal of a top 5 pick is to get a top 10 in the comp player. Not one or 2 great seasons as a small defender.

Do you think Richmond's 3-flag side were a champion team? Do you know most of their team were 2nd and 3rd rounders and RD selections? But their best players were top picks. Do you think that team could win 3 flags without Dusty and Cotch? Do you think it's possible that all those R2, R3, and RD soldiers were able to play as a champion team because the top end could beat other team's top ends?

They said no to 3 for 15&16, can't see the Hawks F1 moving the needle for them

It'd have to be ours

Who was it that said GWS declined that deal? Don't recall hearing about that.

Happy Mastenator You could argue that 1st Rd picks are better saved to trade for established stars with a known value, rather than taking a risky punt on an 18 yr old who's still sipping their mother's milk
You can't really argue that. Most teams who are bottom for have no business trading in a star. The timing is wrong. Even with Chad next year, the timing isn't perfect. The best bet is to go to the draft, load up on talent, and then see if you can get a star. The reality is, most stars only want to go to Collingwood or Geelong. I mean, you can get Dylan Shiel, I guess.

I've never actually seen him play, just saw his stats. That's why I asked, cos I know nothing about him lol. Thought it might be he was the sub in some of the games, but wouldn't have thought he'd be the sub so often.

Carlton fans have cut a decent highlights package of him.

He's a bit of an odd unit. Strange gait. Penetrating kick. Doesn't seem slow for mine, which is also handy.

I like the idea personally, don't think there's much moneyball mid depth out there and Carroll still has plenty of upside.

If it came down to SSP signings and we only had room for 1 selection, i'd prefer Carroll > DGB > Clurey at this point.

Just feels like Carroll is more likely to make it and be more handy than the other two.

AA selection is a poor comparison. There's lots of AA players that you'd be disappointed if you got with a top 5 pick.

The goal of a top 5 pick is to get a top 10 in the comp player. Not one or 2 great seasons as a small defender.

Do you think Richmond's 3-flag side were a champion team? Do you know most of their team were 2nd and 3rd rounders and RD selections? But their best players were top picks. Do you think that team could win 3 flags without Dusty and Cotch? Do you think it's possible that all those R2, R3, and RD soldiers were able to play as a champion team because the top end could beat other team's top ends?
Dusty was super critical but I think Cotchin’s importance to Richmond’s dynasty period is often overstated. Guys like Edwards and Lambert were just as crucial imo

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Back