List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Whose future picks would you have preferred?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links

Trade period
In:
12, F1, F2, F3, 73, Baker, Owies, Graham*
Out: 3, 63, F4, Barrass, Darling

*Free agent

Done deals

• Jai Culley, Alex Witherden and Coby Burgiel delisted

• Zane Trew, Jamaine Jones and Jordyn Baker delisted

Last edited by a moderator:
From those rankings it seems like FOS was our guy and we got wind of him potentially not being there at our pick so traded it away.

Anything down to Draper I can’t see us being keen on. Doesn’t excuse the piss poor Baker trade but you can see why we split. Would’ve been nice to get 8ish and 12 though (and not blow it on Baker). Draper/Smillie and TT/Lindsay is perfect.

Cal responding to text re Dockers targets at 14 included TT as a possibility.
So it would seem it’s not beyond hope that he’s there at 12.
They’re frothing over Allan also FWIW.

On a separate note, I don’t want us to blow 2025 draft capital trying to get another high pick this year if it’s going to be too costly. The more we trade our picks the more we erode value.

On a separate note, I don’t want us to blow 2025 draft capital trying to get another high pick this year if it’s going to be too costly. The more we trade our picks the more we erode value.

The more we trade picks the more we erode value?

It depends on who wants the deal more doesn't it?

A pick swap can be close to even. Or one side gets a bonus and the other pays.

And as others have alluded. The Baker trade was in the Tigers favor. Lets pray we get something to even that out with a pick swap that benefits both parties.

I'd prefer Allan is drafted to Port at 13.

If a WA prospect is drafted out of WA there's always a small chance we might be able to poach them back at some point.

Once drafted to Cockburn they are gone forever.

Allan could come good. There's a lot to like, athletic profile is decent but looks a bit "rough" for mine. Seems a rung or two lower than the top mid prospects of this draft. Just like with the Chesser pick we had to nail, we really can't afford to be taking a chance with our pick 12. We're desperately crying out for some top end talent in the midfield.

Lindsay provides that IMO, albeit more outside leaning.

TT being the board's hive mind choice I can't wait for him to be available at our pick only for us to ignore him and go for the local in Allan.

The Poo vs Ginbey all over again.

Animated GIF

Cameron, Hawkins, Danger, Stewart.
Daicos, Pendles, Sidebottom, Moore, De Goey

I get your point. These are 2 teams who have least displayed the "lopsided top tier core". It's questionable whether all those players I named were A+ at the time. West Coast in 2018 were also not like this. But just because you find exceptions, it doesn't mean going against the grain is the best percentage play.

If you don't find a core of absolute elite players, you're more likely going to end up Bombers or Saints than Geelong or Pies.
It just shows you can build a squad with even spread of talent rather than going all in on a few elites surrounded by role players.
Free agency and astute trading to compliment some decent kids coming through, along with a couple of A+ players will be enough to win a premiership.

I think the Eagles think we can attract free agents to fill out the list like Collingwood have done this year.

The more we trade picks the more we erode value?

It depends on who wants the deal more doesn't it?

A pick swap can be close to even. Or one side gets a bonus and the other pays.

And as others have alluded. The Baker trade was in the Tigers favor. Lets pray we get something to even that out with a pick swap that benefits both parties.

I would like to trade back in for a pick in the twenties. Lots of good talent there.

I don’t think they are frothing over Allan, their list manager even said Allan probably wasn’t a need for them despite being a good prospect. Of course he could just be playing games but it did seem genuine and it makes sense, much more suitable prospects for Fremantle than Allan

I agree, however i feel given the contract situations of all the above players the club is just going to suck it and see (which is annoying) and roll through another season with it being a clear weakness for our side.

Flynn is still well and truly contracted. Jamieson is on his final year. Barnett just got extended for 2 more.

Which leaves Williams, who i thought would've been a sensible choice to trade.. however we didn't. You can't deny the bloke is at least durable, which the others are not. He gets on the park and you know what you're getting more often than not.

Until Jamieson gets delisted, or Williams is traded (RFA at the end of 2026) i doubt the club will add anymore rucks.

All we can do is double down and hope Flynn firstly gets on the park, then stops playing like an unfit potato that doesn't resemble the player we initially recruited from GWS to fill this void, when he does.

I'll back Flynn in with a pre season. It'll be intriguing watching if Williams plays in the WAFL, when they once again try and fail to turn him into a forward.

Watched the NN 2018 highlights on YouTube last night ........ awesome and an absolute tragedy he never got to play in winning GF.

Then watched the Gaffy Derby, where Lycett physically dominated fatty Darcy (had a bit of laugh when Luke Ryan was about to go all tough man post Brayshaw and then realised it was Lycett he was next to).

Take away from these and Bailey's games to date .............Rucks matter and we need to throwing late/rookie picks at potential rucks in the hope of scoring a bargain (given we ain't got many decent early picks this year), because contrary to some popular opinion, rucks matter as they sure as hell make the jobs of mids easier and oppo physical intimidation starts with them.

We decide to take a tall defender in the second round. All 3 of James Barrat, Noah Mraz and Harry O'Farrall make it to our pick. How do we rank them?

I don’t think they are frothing over Allan, their list manager even said Allan probably wasn’t a need for them despite being a good prospect. Of course he could just be playing games but it did seem genuine and it makes sense, much more suitable prospects for Fremantle than Allan
Sorry, to be clear I meant Cal was frothing over Allan

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I agree, however i feel given the contract situations of all the above players the club is just going to suck it and see (which is annoying) and roll through another season with it being a clear weakness for our side.

Flynn is still well and truly contracted. Jamieson is on his final year. Barnett just got extended for 2 more.

Which leaves Williams, who i thought would've been a sensible choice to trade.. however we didn't. You can't deny the bloke is at least durable, which the others are not. He gets on the park and you know what you're getting more often than not.

Until Jamieson gets delisted, or Williams is traded (RFA at the end of 2026) i doubt the club will add anymore rucks.

All we can do is double down and hope Flynn firstly gets on the park, then stops playing like an unfit potato that doesn't resemble the player we initially recruited from GWS to fill this void, when he does.

I'll back Flynn in with a pre season. It'll be intriguing watching if Williams plays in the WAFL, when they once again try and fail to turn him into a forward.
Bailey Williams in centre bounces gets first hand to ball more often than not . Then the opposition clears more often than not . Thats what I see . So iether he has no idea how to palm to advantage or our mids cant shark . I suspect both .
Nic Nat was awsome in that when he got first hand it went to advantage and when it was in dispute he was a midfield bull to contest the groundball .
So Bailey more than halfs his job preventing the oppo ruck getting first hands . Our mids need to be improved .

We decide to take a tall defender in the second round. All 3 of James Barrat, Noah Mraz and Harry O'Farrall make it to our pick. How do we rank them?
Mraz is the best foil for Harry due to his athleticism but had a bad navicular fracture this year and missed almost all of the season.

HOF won’t suit Harry as much but is the best defender of the three IMO and would have been taken first had he not had his ankle injury.

Barrat I bloody love and whilst all three have shown a bit playing forward I see him having the most upside and very much in the Adam Hunter mould.

Pick Witts up and send him m to UAE. (risk I know but when he's plays, he can compete and beat just about anyone)

Wat.

You mean Gold Coast captain Jarrod Witts? Who played 16 games this year and is contracted for 2 more seasons?

Or am i missing something and there's another player named Witts out there.

This is wild. Here's the difference between you and me:

You: I know which players are going to make it, which aren't, which players are better than which, are how strong the draft will end up compared to other years.
Nothing is ever 100%, that goes without saying. But I do believe my personal observations stack up more often that not.

Me: I don't have a crystal ball. I don't which players will go on with it. All I know if that historically the best players in the AFL usually go in the top 5. I also know, those players that go a lot later in the draft who end up elite, are hard to pick. No clubs seem to have any awareness before the draft.
Having a player with a high floor is certainly part of the equation when drafting.

You seem to see the draft as a whole unit year in year out. In reality it's a collection of much more complicated smaller moving parts unrelated to each other.

The #1 pick is often not the best player when all that drafts careers are over but they pretty much all play 200 games and are least likely to bust.

What level or comparison to a current afl player do you see Finn O'Sullivan reaching?
No one is picking a Lachie Neale at 58 and going, "Ha ha, got him. This guy's going to be one of the best players in the comp!".
When Lachie neale averages 45 possessions a game and wins every clearance in the SANFL u18s, then yes you pick him up with an idea that he could replicate that at AFL level.
*He has obviously performed better than projected at the time.

Wat.

You mean Gold Coast captain Jarrod Witts? Who played 16 games this year and is contracted for 2 more seasons?

You’re thinking of F Witts

Plenty of that type around

Wat.

No.... His cousin heck who we seem to take 1 of every year.

Bailey Williams in centre bounces gets first hand to ball more often than not . Then the opposition clears more often than not . Thats what I see . So iether he has no idea how to palm to advantage or our mids cant shark . I suspect both .
Nic Nat was awsome in that when he got first hand it went to advantage and when it was in dispute he was a midfield bull to contest the groundball .
So Bailey more than halfs his job preventing the oppo ruck getting first hands . Our mids need to be improved .

Early on yes. I've seen him jumping all over Xerri early in games.

However. as the game wears on Bailey starts running out of petrol and doesn't jump as high and the oppo rucks don't get any shorter.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Back