List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Whose future picks would you have preferred?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links

Trade period
In:
12, F1, F2, F3, 73, Baker, Owies, Graham*
Out: 3, 63, F4, Barrass, Darling

*Free agent

Done deals

• Jai Culley, Alex Witherden and Coby Burgiel delisted

• Zane Trew, Jamaine Jones and Jordyn Baker delisted

Last edited by a moderator:
In the unlikely event of Travaglia making it past St Kilda at 8:

OUT: 12, F2 (WCE), F2 (HAW)
IN: 10, 24, F3 (RICH)

Tobie, Hynes/Gross and a pick for Banfield. Would look slightly better for Richmond with the potential Essendon swap.

Trade with ESS (before Kako bid)
OUT: F2 (HAW), F3 (WCE)
IN: 28, 31

Trade with ESS (after Kako bid)
OUT: 26
IN: F2 (ESS)

Trade with RICH
OUT: 12, F2 (WCE), F2 (ESS)
IN: 10, 24, F3 (RICH)

2024: 10, 24, 28, 31, 73

2025: 3, 12, 37, 49
3-(WCE F1)-Rodriguez
12-(HAW F1)-Curtin
37-(RICH F3)-Banfield
49-(HAW F3)-Walley
We are going to need 2 picks in the 20s.!

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

Jamieson.
I had thought he was a likely miss, until one of his efforts earlier in the season.
I reckon there's an outside chance he pulls off a Jake Waterman-esque surprising resurgence. Just a gut feel after watching him train and in games.

Am I crazy?

Yes.

For starters Waterman was a solid player and played his role in the AFL team even before his AA season.

Jamieson is still yet to really even do that. Waterman at WAFL level was a class above, any nuffie could see how playing him as the deep forward unlocked the absolute best out of him, yet he was always going to be 3rd or 4th banana behind JK, Allan and Darling. Meanwhile, you don't walk away from a Beagles game and think "Gee Jamieson had a big impact".

I think just getting Jamieson healthy and having him play KPD for the Beagles for when we need him is a win in itself. The bloke has legit been injured for a good half of his career. It's not Fraser levels, but being on WCE list for going on 6 seasons for a total of 17 games to this point is a fair effort from him and his manager.

That said, Jamiesons 4 games he managed at the start of this year before he died, was arguably hist best stretch of footy for his whole career. He was fairly decent and certainly didn't disgrace himself as a defender.

Is it an anomaly though? or is it just an efficient way to build a list without needing to go to the top of the draft?
When Geelong won those 3 flags, they had a young Joel Selwood. When we won ours, we had zero young guns. We had no one to carry the flame. They then traded in Danger. When you hit bottom 4, and your list is rooted, you need the top end talent from the draft.

Last edited:

Yes.

For starters Waterman was a solid player and played his role in the AFL team even before his AA season.

Jamieson is still yet to really even do that. Waterman at WAFL level was a class above, any nuffie could see how playing him as the deep forward unlocked the absolute best out of him, yet he was always going to be 3rd or 4th banana behind JK, Allan and Darling. Meanwhile, you don't walk away from a Beagles game and think "Gee Jamieson had a big impact".

I think just getting Jamieson healthy and having him play KPD for the Beagles for when we need him is a win in itself. The bloke has legit been injured for a good half of his career. It's not Fraser levels, but being on WCE list for going on 6 seasons for a total of 17 games to this point is a fair effort from him and his manager.

That said, Jamiesons 4 games he managed at the start of this year before he died, was arguably hist best stretch of footy for his whole career. He was fairly decent and certainly didn't disgrace himself as a defender.
The truest thing I've ever heard for AFL footy is you don't have to be good to have a long career at the top level - you just have to be tall.

Cheers mate
Just on moraes, are his skills by foot as bad as I've been reading in other threads?
He's slid a fair bit this year

On SM-S921B using BigFooty.com mobile app
Assume you've been reading the phantom draft threads?

His kicking is fine mechanically, nothing that needs major fixing (Ainsworth style). He just needs to improve it slightly or probably more his decision making when kicking, he tends to pop his kick a little higher than others and it just gives defenders too much extra time to kill the contest he's kicking too. He needs to kick it a little more flatter or more to advantage of the forward to run onto. He tends to kick it to where the player is rather than where the player is running to.

He goes to school with my nephew, and is a gun sportsmen. Really good at basketball, although apparently dieting isn't a strong suit - loves the school canteen haha. But a good friend who was working in u18s years back, said the same of Waterman when he was young - think it's just immaturity and takes a while to learn what it takes to become an AFL footballer. So nothing that alarms me.

Another kid at the school is at Sandy Dragons but for next year, and he's apparently the opposite of him, ultra serious with his food and won't eat crap food.

Sure. If he hadnt done an ACL.
It would certainly be a risky pick to take Hotton but ACL's aren't as bad as they used to be with the advances in surgery performed today. It's rare that a career is totally wrecked nowadays from them.

Obviously it's not the ideal way to start your career but a guy like Hotton could've gone at pick 1 if he stayed in the same form as his 1st month this year. Safe to say he would've been top 3 at least.

You just have to look at guys like Petracca who did his knee in his 1st season and the career he has had since.

All this talk about taking Tom Clurey is ridiculous the guy will be 31 by the time he starts playing for us. If WCE do take him they are obviously only concerned about next year not the long term future of the club.

After taking Graham, Baker & Owies i believe the club is more concerned about holding onto there supporters base next year & next years revenue than getting a team together that can compete in the finals.

I understand we already have a lot of young talent but only a small % of them will make it in the AFL, we need to keep injecting as much youth as possible into our team to increase our chances of finding AFL quality players. We want the club to be competetive but not at the expense of our rebuild.

Hold onto next years picks & dont fold to Sydney over Warner. He is a good player but we are not in a window of competing for a grand final spot so giving up anymore than 1 st rounder and a few other picks its just not worth it.

Noah Mraz​

Tall defender
Dandenong Stingrays/Vic Country
198cm
20/2/06

A navicular foot injury earlier this season meant Mraz has barely been sighted this year. If he had have put together a full campaign, there is every chance he would be a lock inside the top-30 given his attributes. The key defender matches up on the opposition's best forwards and can intercept mark as well as go with them on searching runs – he returned to test at the Combine and completed the 2km time trial in 6:32 minutes and was in the top-10 for agility.

To run a 6:32 2k after six months off is incredible. Although I’d still want to see his scans the fact that he can produce that is a good indication that he has recovered from his navicular fracture. I mentioned in a post yesterday that he’d be the perfect foil for Harry Edwards and this combined with his agility is why. Would like to see his 20m sprint time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

All this talk about taking Tom Clurey is ridiculous the guy will be 31 by the time he starts playing for us. If WCE do take him they are obviously only concerned about next year not the long term future of the club.

After taking Graham, Baker & Owies i believe the club is more concerned about holding onto there supporters base next year & next years revenue than getting a team together that can compete in the finals.

I understand we already have a lot of young talent but only a small % of them will make it in the AFL, we need to keep injecting as much youth as possible into our team to increase our chances of finding AFL quality players. We want the club to be competetive but not at the expense of our rebuild.

Hold onto next years picks & dont fold to Sydney over Warner. He is a good player but we are not in a window of competing for a grand final spot so giving up anymore than 1 st rounder and a few other picks its just not worth it.

The font size and bolding really does make this an enjoyable and not at all unhinged reading experience. Thanks.

It would certainly be a risky pick to take Hotton but ACL's aren't as bad as they used to be with the advances in surgery performed today. It's rare that a career is totally wrecked nowadays from them.

Obviously it's not the ideal way to start your career but a guy like Hotton could've gone at pick 1 if he stayed in the same form as his 1st month this year. Safe to say he would've been top 3 at least.

You just have to look at guys like Petracca who did his knee in his 1st season and the career he has had since.

And then there are the George's draft by North after an ACL. Unfortunately he re-injured it and hasn't played a game. They used an early 2nd so not a total disaster.

We simply can't take that risk at this point with a 1st round pick.

Just sign him to the Beagles as a WAFL defender to help shore up the defense so the kids don't get exposed and we get more competitive.

If we lose Gov or another tall defender we can bring him in mid season for six months the using a 2nd selection in the MSD.

Best of both worlds and costs no picks just a list spot for six months.

If we pick up Clurey it would be a smash glass option - depth in case Hedwards or Bazzo goes down.

If we only have 1 spot, would rather DBG. Spuderific up till now, but has the talent and talls are notoriously slow in coming on.

Twomey predicting between 61 and 70 picks to be made in the draft so despite the much vaunted depth this year, a similar number to last year (64) expected to be used

He’s noted that a few clubs are tight for list spots which is contributing to those clubs not using many picks. Adelaide and Hawthorn only expect to use 2 picks as well as perhaps Gold Coast

Says we’re expected to take 3 or 4

Fremantle taking 3 with their picks currently 14,30,67 so any Champion bid from them wouldn’t be until 67 where we can easily match it

Assume you've been reading the phantom draft threads?

His kicking is fine mechanically, nothing that needs major fixing (Ainsworth style). He just needs to improve it slightly or probably more his decision making when kicking, he tends to pop his kick a little higher than others and it just gives defenders too much extra time to kill the contest he's kicking too. He needs to kick it a little more flatter or more to advantage of the forward to run onto. He tends to kick it to where the player is rather than where the player is running to.

He goes to school with my nephew, and is a gun sportsmen. Really good at basketball, although apparently dieting isn't a strong suit - loves the school canteen haha. But a good friend who was working in u18s years back, said the same of Waterman when he was young - think it's just immaturity and takes a while to learn what it takes to become an AFL footballer. So nothing that alarms me.

Another kid at the school is at Sandy Dragons but for next year, and he's apparently the opposite of him, ultra serious with his food and won't eat crap food.
I wouldn't worry too much about diets pre afl. Most of them tend to fall into line once drafted. I wouldn't mind moraes, good forward craft too and we need runners.probably prefer Davis if Ut came down to choosing

On SM-S921B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:

He'd be a signing as a band aid solution until they find potential key backs for the future. The only key backs we got on the list right now is Gov, Williams and maybe Bazzo? We're screwed if Gov or Williams go down. There's no bloody chance they go into next season with two or three key backs...but I also said there's no chance in hell they trade pick 3 as any part of a Liam Baker deal, but here we are

We need to be more competitive next year and be winning more games to show we’re improving

Helps retain Harley if he can see improvement and will also assist in attracting trade targets/free agents. Sounds like we had a crack at a few players this trade period but struggled to get a lot of interest

Warner aside, there’s the likes of Starcevich who’s a FA that we’d be wanting to attract

We’ve got 16 under 21 players on our list with another 4 or 5 to come via the draft who need to be developed in a more competitive side than we’ve been at both AFL and WAFL levels. Those senior players coming in will assist with that
Harley wont hang around if we are still shocking in five years time (which is where we are heading).

16 under 21 but how many are A grade talents? Two or three?

Yes.

This is my opinion of Jamieson.

He was chosen at #49 in the 2019 draft as the best WA based ruck prospect behind Luke Jackson. Obviously there was daylight between him and Jackson.

Made his debut in 2022 when there were not enough players to make up a team and half a dozen WAFL players played.

Since then he has played the odd game or few games.

It seems to have been decided a couple of seasons ago that he wasn’t going to make the grade as a ruckman because of his slight frame. He just got pushed out of the way by the AFL monster ruckmen too easily so the attempt was made to make him into a KPD. This was done so as not to burn a pick and because he is a good bloke and gave his all when he played. I was surprised that he landed his current contract.

He played a few games in that role this year. IMO he wasn’t great. ‘Like a duck out of water’ and ‘having his pants pulled down’ are two expressions that come to mind. He did the odd good thing which was a surprise because it came amongst so much that wasn’t up to standard. To add to his woes he is injured most of the time.

I think he is a very long shot of making the grade as an AFL player and should be delisted. Better than average WAFL player but not an AFL player. There is no comparison between him and Waterman who has clearly been an AFL level player for some years but had an exceptional breakout year which was probably at a higher level than anyone thought he was capable of. Jamieson is coming from a far lower base than Waterman.

Hold onto next years picks & dont fold to Sydney over Warner. He is a good player but we are not in a window of competing for a grand final spot so giving up anymore than 1 st rounder and a few other picks its just not worth it

OK

Harley wont hang around if we are still shocking in five years time (which is where we are heading).

16 under 21 but how many are A grade talents? Two or three?

How many A graders do premiership teams have?

6 is about it.

The remainder are B+ and role players.

Richmond winning three flags didn't have 6.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Back