List Mgmt. Contract, Trade & Draftee Discussion - 2022 Off Season Edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Contract status of all players now fully updated

Last edited:
Ginbey has a high ceiling and was best available at that pick, bar perhaps the poo, in my book.

He has elite athletic attributes and a strong drive to get everything out of himself.

Whether it comes together or not for Ginbey.. fingers crossed. But I am very optimistic he will develop into a fine player.
So best available appears to be a project player.

I reckon the next 6 players picked after Ginbey are better prospects than Ginbey, as well as Brayden George.

Ginbey put on a fair amount of size and only moved into the midfield this year, so the fact he’s managed to win a Larke medal and have multiple clubs looking at him for an early pick is encouraging. Hes on a decent trajectory.
Ginbey did Not win the Larke medal.

I was disappointed with the Winder stuff but relieved it wasn’t drugs. Not great for him or the club. At least it’s early in preseason so shouldn’t distract the players plus the media attention is pretty low. He’s got some time to work hard and prove he wants it because his name is at the bottom of the list now.
Just to be that guy...

Alcohol is a drug

Sent from my CPH2305 using Tapatalk

Once again no significant consequences. How do people learn without consequences?
We don't know what he did, so I don't think significant consequences are appropriate yet.

Was it a minor scuffle at say a hotel where the police just happened to be going past at the time?

Was it at a hotel and the police were called?

Was it at a private residence?

Was anyone injured (we know it was minor, but there are still degrees of minor)

Was there racism involved?

Who got physical first?

It sounds like a scuffle or something else minor. It doesn't sound like Winder will be charged, possibly the police are investigating some alleged comments etc as assault is generally pretty cut and dry.

On SM-G986B using BigFooty.com mobile app

So best available appears to be a project player.

I reckon the next 6 players picked after Ginbey are better prospects than Ginbey, as well as Brayden George.
What a piss poor post and well short of your usual level.

I would say all 18 year old draftees are projects. Even you precious little Ashcroft. Horn Francis was a project last year - he would not have got games in a decent team. Teams will balance development and deserved performance but extremely rarely is a player plug in (Daicos was an exception).

Tell me, how did you interpret the psychological testing results of Ginbey v other 1st rounders? What about his leadership, ability to take instruction, ability to follow game plans etc compared to the other 1st rounders? What “go home factor” did you put on The Poo or Clarke?

Besides, I thought you said merry Christmas and see you in the new year as you were taking a break. Is this just a sh1t stir session or are you real as your recent posts have been a little lower than you usual self?

Thanks mate, in line with my thinking. Bigger more athletic Scooter makes sense, but really still not a "top 4" any way, shape or form.
I was a bit anti at first. I was a Phillipou/ Hewitt man but I was influenced a bit by posters and looking quickly at his highlights I agreed with them. But once the deal was done mates got me to have a second look with a more positive outlook and I have to say there’s a lot of potential to like.His kicking is not bad. His back flanker kicks reflect a kid playing big time footy and being careful.chips to possession ala Hurn/Duggan.yea I know!!
-But seeing him hit the ball and keep his hands free,seeing him run a player down and tackle; ( remember that? Tackle??) Plus me along with a lot of posters popooed combine results as not that significant but geez he’s got power and aggression and size and frightening speed for that size and aggression!
-Hewitt is the silk!
-The split pick will in years to come possibly prove to be a masterstroke!!
-One more speedy small defender or hybrid aka Schoey/Chick
-One of the Williams to be another key forward and we are on the way to our next premiership.
-The extra publicity the draft has given us has turned us into Micromanaging negative nellies. Get on board we are launching at our next premiership.
-We are the WCEs!! We are football royalty.Get in our way and we will crush you!!

I would say all 18 year old draftees are projects. Even you precious little Ashcroft. Horn Francis was a project last year - he would not have got games in a decent team. Teams will balance development and deserved performance but extremely rarely is a player plug in (Daicos was an exception).

Tell me, how did you interpret the psychological testing results of Ginbey v other 1st rounders? What about his leadership, ability to take instruction, ability to follow game plans etc compared to the other 1st rounders? What “go home factor” did you put on The Poo or Clarke?

Besides, I thought you said merry Christmas and see you in the new year as you were taking a break. Is this just a sh1t stir session or are you real as your recent posts have been a little lower than you usual self?
My recent posts have just been about having a bit of fun, jumping in on one of the Eagles board "insider" jokes, or boardisms.

This recent post was not a sh!t stir post. It was a legit response, where I highlighted something I disagreed with. No, I didn't provide a detailed reason why, you can read numerous posts from WCE_phil that provides a far better outline of why some people don't rate Ginbey as highly as players who went after him.

As far as I'm aware, I haven't posted a sh!t stir post here.

I did say Merry Christmas, but as I mentioned, I got sucked back in by a post (I don't even remember which one).

Are you trying to say Go in Peace?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My recent posts have just been about having a bit of fun, jumping in on one of the Eagles board "insider" jokes, or boardisms.

This recent post was not a sh!t stir post. It was a legit response, where I highlighted something I disagreed with. No, I didn't provide a detailed reason why, you can read numerous posts from WCE_phil that provides a far better outline of why some people don't rate Ginbey as highly as players who went after him.

As far as I'm aware, I haven't posted a sh!t stir post here.

I did say Merry Christmas, but as I mentioned, I got sucked back in by a post (I don't even remember which one).
So it has been a long time since we got decent Christmas presents and then you come round to tell us that your bike is the best in the neighbourhood and that our presents are second rate compared to little Johnny round the corner. Get the analogy? Hell, you may even be right. But quite frankly - I don't give a sh1t. Let us enjoy our draft, at least for a month or so.

Not sure if it is just me but the Foley and Beau comparison baffled me. Can you elaborate.

Happy with the other points except his kicking is probably 5th out of the 5 you mentioned and it will be nice to see him full time as an inside mid and hopefully improve his production. I am happy we got Ginbey, but not everything shouts elite. The balance of Ginbey, Hewett and Burgiel feels good (esp considering Culley, Chesser and Hough).

Beau Waters was a tough tall marking medium defender with inconsistent disposal by foot. A fan favourite but not a star.

Foley is a tall marking medium defender, he's probably better by foot than Waters. Not yet a fan favourite but he puts his body on the line, takes risks in the air.

Waters tough guy imagine hides his obvious flaws. It's a case of me not rating Waters as highly as others and me rating Foley higher than others. The role, size, strength overhead are pretty obvious similarities.

Differences are Waters is a failed midfielder (injuries) come defender while Foley has always been a running utility.

I agree with the balance of our selections. All have different traits and could be a balanced group of they all make the grade.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

So it has been a long time since we got decent Christmas presents and then you come round to tell us that your bike is the best in the neighbourhood and that our presents are second rate compared to little Johnny round the corner. Get the analogy? Hell, you may even be right. But quite frankly - I don't give a sh1t. Let us enjoy our draft, at least for a month or so.
Dude, I like you. You were one of the posters I was referring to yesterday (or this morning) that I like to have a chat with. But, I haven't mentioned my bike. I actually try really hard here not to mention my bike, unless someone specifically asks me.

Last edited:
Oh No Fire GIF

Why are people getting offended over opinions, I'm just going to wait and see how the draftees develop and enjoy the journey. Predictions on first year players never come true, impossible to know whether we nailed the draft or not, what the synergy of the team will be like etc. Ginbey could get delisted, as long as we contend and challenge for a premiership is all that matters.

Beau Waters was a tough tall marking medium defender with inconsistent disposal by foot. A fan favourite but not a star.

Foley is a tall marking medium defender, he's probably better by foot than Waters. Not yet a fan favourite but he puts his body on the line, takes risks in the air.

Waters tough guy imagine hides his obvious flaws. It's a case of me not rating Waters as highly as others and me rating Foley higher than others. The role, size, strength overhead are pretty obvious similarities.

Differences are Waters is a failed midfielder (injuries) come defender while Foley has always been a running utility.

I agree with the balance of our selections. All have different traits and could be a balanced group of they all make the grade.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
Do you see Foley staying on the list? I am struggling. I sense his slow ball control football has been taught to him and he will struggle with a game at speed. Happy to be proven wrong but at this point he feels like WAFL depth. Like Gaff, he has good endurance but lacks what the new game needs

Do you see Foley staying on the list? I am struggling. I sense his slow ball control football has been taught to him and he will struggle with a game at speed. Happy to be proven wrong but at this point he feels like WAFL depth. Like Gaff, he has good endurance but lacks what the new game needs
If he's in our best 22 long term then it's probably not a very good best 22. Or 23 or whatever the **** the AFL feel like making it year on year.

He doesn't have Waters spectacularly good marking. I think people forget just how good a mark Waters was. But yes he's more athletic in other areas and similar in that his kicking is more to an area than to a person. Ginbey is an average kick within this draft class let alone at AFL level.

The best the club can be hoping for imo is that he starts finding significantly more of the ball and he becomes a bigger, stronger, faster version of 2012 scott selwood.
God, i hope that is not correct. If a midfielder is a poor kick then they need to be brilliant at pretty much everything else, aswell as play with the limitations of their poor kicking ability so as not to cause turnovers, in order to be any kind of significant player at AFL level.

If they maybe try to play Foley in his best position as a back-pocket or HBF, then I think there's a relaliable lock down player that can be developed. The combination of being in a terrible team getting absolutely smashed and trying to get defenders like Foley and HEdwards - and even Jamieson was thrown to the wolves due to necessity - to develop into good players just doesn't work. Then for whatever reason - I assume it was injuries or covid - playing him as a defensive forward made him look even more shit. I like him for what he is, a fringe best 22 defender who can come in and pinch hit when needed.

I'd way rather hear someone's real opinion anyway, particularly if they've demonstrated a history of balanced, unemotional posts. Naturally I hope Briztoon is wrong but not rating Ginbey in the top 10 is hardly a 'rude' take. Personally I'm actually more excited about Hewett as a prospect, and I'm hopeful that the upside pick in Ginbey pays off. But he does seem like less of a safe bet.

Regarding the "opinions" about Ginbey, I must admit that I was not very enthused about us drafting him over others such as Phillipou who ended up being available at our pick, but after we drafted him I've decided to reserve judgement until he plays but I'm hoping he becomes the inside bull that we need.
I'm starting to come around to the idea that his lack of midfield experience is a positive rather than a negative since he has plenty of scope for improvement as he did quite well in the short time he's been playing in that position.
Obviously there's little point in changing your opinion about him without having seen him play AFL unless you support the club and want to see him do well, but on the other hand there's also no point reiterating that he's not a top 10 talent until he plays as there are plenty of consensus top 10 prospects that end up as a bust.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back